Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Take a look at Monument by Ian Graham. It's pretty dark, but succeeds in telling a self-contained story in a single book. It isn't well-known, but the author tells a story that most other authors would stretch to a trilogy and does so without feeling like it was compressed.

Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch stands on its own, but is the start of a series, so it doesn't wrap absolutely everything up, but all the major conflict is resolved. It tells a good story, despite having inconsistent tone between the first and second halves. As good as you'll find in a modern standalone fantasy novel.

A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. LeGuin is also the first book in a series but is both a very quick read and good on it's own. I don't normally gush about someone's writing style, but her lyrical prose is an absolute treasure to read and meshes perfectly with the story being told.

Going back further, you might check out the works of Lord Dunsany. I'd start with King of Elfland's Daughter and if you like his style (which is very different), go further from there. My favorite is Gods of Pegana, but I wouldn't start there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

savinhill posted:

edit: Also, you can't go wrong with any of Joe Abercrombie's standalones. My favorite of his is Best Served Cold, which is a gritty fantasy revenge caper with unique characters, good dialogue, and dark humor.
I love Best Served Cold, but I would personally advise against reading any of Joe Abercrobmie's standalone novels unless you get through The First Law trilogy (well worth the read, but definitely a series). There are tons of throwbacks and casual references to things that happened in the trilogy that would be lost on someone who hadn't read the trilogy. It's definitely readable on it's own, but that's not really the best way to approach it. I'd say it's a decent book without having read the trilogy and really great if you have read the trilogy.

Another suggestion would be Felix Gilman's The Half-made World. It's really tough to describe what the novel actually is. I finished it a few months back and I'm not really sure myself, but it is an enthralling journey through a very alien world. A bit more technology than most fantasy, but definitely not steam-punk (or any other "punk" subgenre for that matter), though quite definitely fantasy at it's heart. It has a loosely connected sequel, which I haven't read, but it stands on it's own perfectly. Gilman's use of language and metaphor, combined with mind-loving imagery is really something that must be experienced.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

PlushCow posted:

That's how it reads, like it's a novel of bullet-points for the plot, never expanded upon; a good outline of a novel but not fleshed out. That blurb sounds exciting, but when Cook only devotes a couple paragraphs to a couple pages to each of those plot points it feels hollow and not compelling at all to me.
Cook's style is pretty polarizing. When I read the first book, it immediately hooked me, but if you don't like his sparse style and gloss-over of events, then it's just going to be an infuriating series to read. I enjoy an unreliable narrator and have a high tolerance for not knowing what is going on at a high level, and I enjoyed how narrow the perspective of the world was. It was a refreshing change from some of the high fantasy that I'd been reading. However, if the series does not grab you within the first 100 pages, I'd say put it down and don't pick it up again, as it's only more of the same.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Loving Life Partner posted:

That's actually something I wanted to ask, after I made my post I kind of thought about it and wondered how true what I was saying was, because while Malazan does have a lot of significant female characters, they don't really do a whole lot of things that'd identify them as female, their gender for the most part doesn't even matter. I guess I wonder what the feminist take on a piece of media like that is, is it good, bad, neutral?
He's created a world where gender is viewed very differently from our own, because of his magic system empowering women and the overall culture that flows from that.

While his world contains women in roles that are usually reserved for men in either real life or other fantasy books, there is no overt exploration of what characters think of this, since their conception of gender roles is really different from ours.

Gender matters very little in the Malazan world, and it's usually treated as a descriptor on par with height or hair color, except when he wants two characters to have a physical relationship of some kind. Even when this happens, the same kind of gender equality is displayed.

The characterization of female characters is as strong as his characterization of male characters, which is to say that it's spotty at best, at least when first introduced. Interesting things do happen to the characters and they change in satisfying ways in response to what happens to them, but most of them start out being very interchangeable.

Way too many of them can be summed up as either "snarky soldier with a dry sense of humor" or "stoic soldier with a heavy sense of duty" or "total badass doing totally badass things". I still find the books quite enjoyable, but most of his characters come off as archetypes with a couple superficial quirks, rather than true three-dimensional characters. The characters exist to drive the story forwards and explore the setting, rather than the story being centered on them.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Jedit posted:

In what way?
Because Sandman was originally conceived as a new take on an old character (the already-mentioned Silver-Age Sandman), so having that same character actually show up is more-or-less expected. Also, don't forget that he didn't come up with the comic book version of Cain and Abel, Eve, or Gregory the dragon either, those have been around since the 1960s. Lucien was created by the same team in the 1970s. Etrigan was created by Jack Kirby. The version of Hell that Morpheus visits was created by Alan Moore for Swamp Thing, though Gaiman did come up with the hierarchy of demons and, most importantly, the Lucifer character. The conception of Heaven as Silver City was created by Jerry Siegel and Bernard Baily in 1940. John Constantine makes an appearance too, though I would call that more of a cameo for sales purposes than anything.

Your complaint doesn't make sense because the entire purpose of the series was to take something old and put a new spin on it. The Battlestar Galactica reboot didn't make me lose respect for Ronald D. Moore because he took the characters created by Glen A. Larson, changed them significantly and told an engaging story with them. That's the point you're missing. The characters that Gaiman used bear about as much resemblance to their originals as the characters on the reimagining of Battlestar Galactica bear to the characters of the same name in the 1978 series.

Jedit posted:

Say I'd been comparing and contrasting stories by two dozen authors and you thought I was extremely well read. Then you find out all the stories I've been talking about have been collected in a single volume. How would you feel about me then?

I'm not complaining that the things in Sandman aren't original. I'm saying that because Gaiman got them from a narrow set of sources, he is much less erudite than people make him out to be.
By "narrow set of sources", you mean 50 years of creations in the DC Comics universe, right?

Azathoth fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 11, 2013

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The Neil Gaiman blurb is nice though, it's cool that he's behind her.
I bought a book by her because of the Neil Gaiman blurb, though it wasn't the one you linked. I forget the name, and it's packed away in a box, so it's hard to check. The description on the back sounded interesting, but the cover art was screamed paranormal romance, but I reasoned that Neil Gaiman was unlikely to put an endorsement on the cover of a crap romance book, so I picked it up on a whim. Given the recommendations that are being given, I should go dig it out and read it.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The only downside to the Monpress series was the covers. For some reason when they came out in paperback, they had these almost romance novel bodice ripper covers.

They are pretty great books though.
I just bought these because I've seen them recommended in this thread and the price was right, but I have to say that I would have never bought a physical copy of them with that cover. I would be downright embarrassed to be caught in public reading a book with that on the cover. Deals aside, just another reason that I love my Kindle.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

systran posted:

I got halfway through book two and gave up on it forever. Did you feel that the "Keats" thing was going a bit too far in book one? Maybe it felt like he was trying to give a nod to an author he liked and got slightly carried away? Well in book two you get a ROBOT JOHN KEATS as a viewpoint character, wait actually I think you get two robot Keats, each a different version. That female detective character falls in love with the first robot Keats, by the way.
Every time I read spoilers about that book, I get a little more happy that I stopped after the first one.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

savinhill posted:

I always just attributed it to being the internet and people like acting like somethings are way worse than they really are.

Joe Abercrombie's sex scenes are hilarious and fit the tone of his books perfectly.
The sex scenes in his book are the only ones I've ever read in fantasy that don't feel like either gratuitous pandering to teenage boys or the author vicariously enjoying some kind of perverted fantasy through his characters. It doesn't ruin a book for me if they have either of the latter, but it's so rare to see them worked into the story like Abercrombie does.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Lex Talionis posted:

Of course, right now the Hugo is the highest profile award, but I suspect that may decline over time (like the Nebula already has) as people continue to disagree with the winners.
I haven't paid attention to the Nebula for quite a while, but could you talk a little more about this? In my mind, the Hugo and the Nebula are both equally prestigious and the highest awards possible, with all other awards ending up somewhere a bit lower. However, that opinion was mostly formed pre-2000, so it's quite out of date I'm sure.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I'll toss in a recommendation for The Half-Made World by Felix Gilman. At first, I wasn't sure what to make of it, but the more I think of it, the more I like it. It's weird, and wonderful, and poetic, and has made me think about it far more than most other books I've read. I think it's possible to read it at face value, as an adventure tale set in a fantasy-infused old west, but there's definitely more going on than that for those who care to look. I think it has interesting things to say about the settling of America, our treatment of the Native Americans, and the overall struggle between the wild world and the civilized world.

I'm going through the sorta-sequel now, The Rise of Random City, and although I'm only a quarter done, it's just as good so far.

I'd also give a recommendation for Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun series, which starts with The Shadow of the Torturer. It's got interesting things to say on religion and is an excellent example of how to properly use the unreliable narrator.

Finally, I would also give a recommendation to A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin. It's worth reading just for her wonderful use of language alone, but it's a quick read and you'll know really fast if you're going to like it.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

R. Scott Bakker is a very polarizing author because his, quite frankly, creepy-as-gently caress views on sexuality and gender relations, which play a central role in his work. I don't pay attention to such things normally, and this is the first and only book/series that I've stopped reading because I found the themes to be so creepy. A good summary of the relevant issues can be found here.

Now, that being said, if you read that link above and don't find any of the issues to be problematic, then I would heartily recommend giving the series a try. I can vouch that the first two books are quite well written and contain some very memorable characters, I just wish that they had a different philosophy behind them.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

savinhill posted:

I've never understood this attitude where people feel the need to "disrecommend" something. Also, I find "If you want to read books about rape and all the ways that labiaplasty is like female genital mutilation by an author who 'writes with male readers in mind', I guess go for them;" pretty insulting. You yourself may have some problems with his books, but acting like anyone who reads them is doing so for "rape" and "labiaplasty" is just being a jerk.
General Battuta's comment is dead-on. His writing is deeply problematic for anyone who is even passably aware of issues with either gender or sexuality, and for someone looking for books that tackle bigger issues within the fantasy or scifi genre, Bakker is the exact wrong place to start. He's the logical conclusion of the "written exclusively for men" strain within the fantasy genre and his exploration of the issues he tries to tackle is misguided at best and offensive at worst.

I get that you like his books, and you aren't bothered by the issues mentioned, but they are there and quite at the forefront of his writing, and absolutely central to his characters and plot. He is exactly the last author I would recommend to someone looking for fantasy that explores deeper issues, unless they had a clear outline of exactly what his views are and how they are expressed in his work, since many of us find them quite offensive.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Play posted:

Do you have to agree with an author's premise to find their ideas interesting or their material worth reading? Perhaps you might find it worth reading BECAUSE you don't agree with them? I guess there's nothing whatsoever of intellectual value in reading material written by people you don't agree with. Lol
I wouldn't recommend someone read Atlas Shrugged if they asked for a novel built around political ideal, unless they had an understanding of Ayn Rand's screwed-up philosophy, since the presentation accepts as fact things which most people would question.

I got more than two books in Bakker's series before I ran across his views online, and I only found them because I had already become deeply troubled by some of the actions of the protagonists, which were being presented as good, when they were really not to me.

I discovered a spoiler that I had already guessed: Kellhus isn't the protagonist and I'm not supposed to like him., which addressed my concern. However, when I read some of what he believed, only then did I grasp why Bakker decided to take the story in the direction he did.

His philosophy really isn't apparent in The Prince of Nothing without a key. Perhaps it gets more overt later, but up to the point I read, I chalked it up to idiosyncratic misogyny, which is how it manifests. It also takes 1000+ pages to get that far, which is a long ways to go for someone who isn't used to doorstopper fantasy.

I never said don't read them, only to go in with eyes open, but let's not ptetend this is Lolita or another book expressing horrible opinions in a sympathetic fashion. This is well-written fantasy, with horrible philosophical backing, written by a broken man who believes his broken views are a good thing.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

regularizer posted:

I've put off reading The Half-Made World for a while because the descriptions I'd read made the concept sound stupid, but it's one of the more engaging and interesting books I've read in a while. It's very well written, The Gun and The Line both feel real and messed up in their own ways, and the world-building is top notch.
I just finished the sequel, The Rise of Ransom City and I highly recommend it (along with The Half-Made World for those who haven't read it first.

Like you, I initially held off on reading The Half-Made World because the description wasn't particularly inspiring, but it really is a great book and, unlike most fantasy novels, stands very well on its own. It wasn't quite what I was expecting, and I didn't know if I liked it when I finished it, but the more I thought on it, the more I liked it.

That said, I really enjoyed The Rise of Ransom City from beginning to end. I knew more what to expect with this, so I was able to appreciate it for what it is, which I think hurt my appreciation of The Half-Made World. I went into The Half-Made World expecting a something closer to a traditional quest-based fantasy novel and got something more philosophical, though tucked inside an action shell.

My interpretation: The Half-Made World is an allegorical exploration of American expansion into the West, with points made about the treatment of Native Americans and slaves. It shows how most people aren't ideologically motivated and are just trying to get by, in the face of a world that changes inexorably around them and over which they have little control.

The Rise of Ransom City largely puts that aside in favor of exploring our relationship with science, and the relationship between science and industry, in a setting where an inventor like Tesla or Edison could still change the world with a single great discovery or invention. It also asks some interesting questions about the moral responsibility of an individual within a corporation.

And does all this while exploring one of the most unique worlds I have ever read about.

I really hope he writes another novel set in the same world.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Seldom Posts posted:

I agree with Neurosis more on THMW, but my take on TRoRC is different. Ransom is just a different way of exploring the same themes of HMW. HMW is about the competing forces of corporatism and individualism in the new world. Ransom is some kind of of uber-American archetype: the self-made man, the inventor, the preacher, the salesman, the tent-pole revivalist--he has aspects of all of those. However, his experience completely subverts what is supposed to happen in the American dream--when he finally gains power, he's a puppet, caught as a figurehead in a cruel political system that he actually was hoping to create the opposite of.

The time in Jasper City is the most interesting--it seems like the Chicago of the 1890s, the time of the World's Fair. The whole thing seems to be heavily influenced by The Education of Henry Adams and the idea of America bursting into the 20th century. The note that Gilman ends it on, with Ransom still pursuing his dream is a great encapsulation of the beauty of the American dream and the horror of its execution.

The book has really a lot in it, so these thoughts are kind of half-formed still. I would recommend them both to anyone, and I really hope I have the time sometime to read it again and spend some time thinking on it.
I'm not sure I necessarily disagree with either you or Neurosis, and it's a good example of what I love so much about those two books. There's so much to think about with them, and Gilman doesn't bash you over the head so much with what he's trying to say that there's room for legitimate difference in interpretation.

I'll stand by my original interpretation, but expand by saying that there are deeper undercurrents in both books about the struggle between order and chaos, and how neither side is necessarily the right choice with the ideal of the Red Valley Republic as the mythical perfect balance between the two.

In The Half-Made World, it's presented as a utopia broken down by the forces of chaos and order, at least until the end when you get some less than flattering details about it's founders and it's suggested that it wasn't everything the General remembered it to be.

In The Rise of Ransom City, you get a couple more hints about this at the end when the Line is losing and different Red Valley Republics begin springing up, and the President of the one that Liv and John Creedmoor are associated with has a name more reminiscent of a King or an Emperor, implying that the world may be trading the tyranny of the Engines for the tyranny of a person, and that they're using the name of the Red Valley Republic in the same way that much of Europe used the name of Rome after the Western Roman Empire fell.

I don't think that what I'm saying is necessarily incompatible with your interpretation either, I think we may be seeing the same underlying concepts and putting our own little spin on it.

I'll also second that they're books that I would recommend to just about anyone, even people who aren't normally scifi/fantasy fans.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

^^^^
Yeah, that does a real disservice to the book. I'm guessing the person who wrote the comment was expecting something closer to Game of Thrones going in (political with lots of blood) and was disappointed.

bigmcgaffney posted:

Well, how handsome is this Nightlord? Because I already spent two dollars and I better get my money's worth.
I'll provide a counterpoint opinion on the book.

I enjoyed it quite a bit, it was much more low-key than most of the fantasy that I have read, and while there is the drawn-out romantic angle, I didn't feel that it overpowered the book. It has a decided lack of people being cleaved in twain with broadswords, so if you're looking for that, you may as well put it down now, but I thought that the characters were interesting and well-developed. Also, although it is part of a trilogy, it stands alone well, which is something that can rarely be said of fantasy novels.

It's not perfect by any means, but it definitely bears reading the first couple chapters. You'll know pretty early on if you'll like it or not, as the book is pretty consistent from start to finish, so try it out if you've already bought it.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

mdemone posted:

It's not bad. More straightforward and thriller-ish than previous work. Believable and interesting characters/setting: climbers set out to recover something from Everest in 1925 amidst secrecy and intrigue.

And the worst macguffin in recent literary history. No seriously, this is a huge spoiler, don't read unless you have no interest in reading this book: the object of the quest turns out to be a set of photographs of Hitler loving and sucking young boys. I'm not kidding. SIMMONS!! :argh:

I would recommend reading the first three chapters and then deciding whether to finish. It's readable and worthwhile, especially if you like climbing set-pieces, but don't expect his best novel. Nice change of pace though since there is basically no supernatural element; the Yeti only appear once and off-screen and I look forward to more work in that vein.
I am very glad I read the spoiler about the macguffin. I was debating picking up the book, but now I am glad I didn't. If I had read the book and gotten to that reveal, I think I would have flung the book across the room in rage, then probably buried it deep in the compost pile. Seriously, that is that is one of the dumbest macguffins I have ever heard of.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

xcheopis posted:

Well, crap. I'd heard good things about Hyperion and was thinking of reading it and now I'd just hate it.
If you can get by the fact that the author became a terrible person and want to read it without paying the author, I'd honestly recommend picking it up at a second-hand bookstore or checking it out from your library. I read it a few years back and it is quite good, in particular I liked the framing device he used and it was written well before his present insanity began manifesting in his writing. That said, I'm told that as the series went on, he explained all of the cool mysteries presented in Hyperion, and that the explanations are profoundly unsatisfying, but I thought it worked perfectly fine as a standalone novel.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

High Warlord Zog posted:

Why are we supposed to hate Dan Simmons so much anyway? I know he has some fairly lovely views on a couple of subjects and that he sometimes inserts them into his books but as far as I know he's not like Orson Scott Card who has lovely views and funds lovely organisations that are making the world a shittier place for people who don't share them.

Also, Orson Scott Card wrote a book where the protagonist (who in the afterword Card admits is just himself with a different name) discovers that a co-worker is a paedophile who has molested their bosses kid and wants to molest his daughter and doesn't report him to the police because he decides that apart from that he's not a bad person. Orson Scott Card is awful.

Dan Simmons posted:

It is circa 2032, or more precisely, the 23rd year of Jobless Recovery. The U.S. is tottering, weighing in at only 44 ½ states, its mass eaten away by Mexico, its interior rotted out by floods of immigrants, by loss of faith in a free-market economy, by national healthcare and a myriad of other entitlement programs, by the global-warming hoax and green-energy boondoggles, and by drugs, the most pervasive being “flashback,” which allows its users to visit their pasts in a dream state. It’s a bad, bad time, and its fatal origins lie, we are instructed, with the Obama presidency, its spendthrift domestic programs and pusillanimous foreign policy.

Highways are disintegrating, people live in former malls cut into cubicles, and, adding insult to injury, right-wing talk radio has been banned. Japanese overlords have set up “green zones” across the land and America’s once proud and powerful military is now hired out as mercenaries to fight for Japan and India. At the same time, a New Global Caliphate flourishes and Islam spreads. An immense and towering mosque sits at ground zero and annual celebrations commemorate the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. In Los Angeles, where much of the story takes place, the bells of Christian churches add their peels to “the cries of the muezzin … to show their solidarity, understanding, and forgiveness.” The Caliphate has obliterated Israel with 11 exceedingly dirty nuclear bombs, killing 6 million Jews. The survivors of this “Second Holocaust” are now sequestered in a former Six Flags amusement park in Denver by a U.S. government “terrified of angering the Global Caliphate” that is waiting to exterminate them.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Echo Cian posted:

Johannes Cabal the Necromancer by Jonathan L. Howard and its sequel made me laugh a lot. Juxtaposes the humor with the serious moments perfectly.
After reading the first draft, Jonathan L. Howard's editor should have taken away Howard's thesaurus until such time as he could prove that he could use it responsibly. It had a definite "look at this big word I know!" feel and distracted from the narrative flow when I had to look up what puscillanimous or lugubrious meant to understand what he was trying to describe, and this comes from a guy who loves Gene Wolfe, so I'm not afraid or annoyed by obscure vocabulary, just how it was implemented there.

That said, it was an enjoyable read, and stands nicely on its own, but definitely didn't inspire me to pick up the next book in the series.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Irony.or.Death posted:

This puzzles me a little because, as someone else mentioned, it feels perfect in the context of Johannes' character. Conceding that I only started it last night and have caught myself being mildly annoyed at the writing a couple of times, so maybe it does get worse, but so far no issues that really detract from how much fun the book is.
Its been a while since I read it, but I never got the sense it was being narrated by Johannes, so it came across to me as the author using a two dollar word when a ten cent one will do. However, I think the bigger sin was that it was plainly unnecessary. The obscure words he chose weren't some kind of precise description that enhances or improves the story for its use (ala Gene Wolfe), they were unnecessary and when I stopped looking them up 2/3 of the way through the story, I didn't lose anything. I could clearly pick out the word's meaning from context. I still enjoyed the book, but it did get really tiresome.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Pretty much any way of describing magic can work, so long as the author is consistent in their depiction of the magic, the magic serves the story, and the magic is well integrated into the world. I've always felt like Brandon Sanderson and Ursula LeGuin are good examples of how two nearly opposite but equally effective magic systems.

Sanderson walks a fine line with his magic systems, they are always on the verge of taking over his stories, but they never quite go over that line. I think it's how well integrated it is into his world that keeps it just on the right side of the line, but I know it goes too far for some. They're incredibly intricate, well thought out, and integral to his world-building. The story he's telling just couldn't be told without the magic system.

The magic in LeGuin's Earthsea books is basically the opposite of anything Sanderson does, but it's equally well integrated into the world and always serves to help tell the story. Her magic is mysterious and ill-defined, but it never feels inconsistent with itself, and just like Sanderson, the story she's telling couldn't be told without it.

It's really going to depend on taste concerning which type of magic you prefer, if you even have a preference. I personally couldn't care less, but I know that one or the other can be a deal-breaker for some readers.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

andrew smash posted:

Maybe tolkien should have just made another appendix with character sheets for the fellowship and stat blocks for the enemies
Finally, someone with the courage to stand up and say what we've all been thinking for years!

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I have not personally read it (not a fan of bildungsroman much), but I hear good things about the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series by Tad Williams. I don't see it brought up much in the thread, so perhaps someone who has read it could weigh in.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Could I get recommendations for novels or series of novels that are similar in content and tone to either the Hellboy or The Goon series of comics/graphic novels?

I love the way that Hellboy stitches together all kinds of mythologies into an unsettling world that always makes you think that something amazing and wonderful is just around the corner. I also like the dark tone, and how Mignola intersperses little bits of humor or other lightness in along with it, to keep it from being too depressing.

I love the way The Goon takes the horror elements and drama and weaves it in with moments of levity. It goes a little more towards the absurd than I'm actually looking for, but it's the only thing other than Hellboy that I've read that seems to really capture that "bizarre occult world" feeling that I'm looking for. Also I'm a sucker for noir, so there's that.

The only thing I've seen recommended that fits the bill is Charles Stross' Laundry Files, but aside from "Lovecraftian", I don't know if it fits at all.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Start with Lovecraft if you haven't.

Nothing else is quite like The Goon, perhaps because the illustrations let Powell get a little sillier than you can really get away with in pure prose fiction.

My general advice would be to look at the various "Urban Fantasy" authors like Jim Butcher and Ben Aaronovitch that write detective/cop novels with heavy fantasy elements. I'd suggest starting with the Dresden Files series (he's a P.I. -- and a wizard!) and maybe the Peter Grant novels by Ben Aaronovitch (He's a london beat cop -- and a wizard!). Laundry Files is good but it's more a spoof of spy novels and sometimes it gets really, really geek-silly. There are a few others that get regularly mentioned in the Dresden Files thread, too.

None of that stuff is quite in the same key as as The Goon but they might be close to what you're looking for.

Another route to go might be something like Zelazny's A Night in the Lonesome October or other comic horror. Maybe Gil's All Fright Diner by A. Lee Martinez.
I should have mentioned that I love Lovecraft and have read most of his stuff at one time or another, and I guess I'm looking for something that captures some of that feeling of existential dread and horrific wonder. His Dreamlands stories are some of my favorite short fiction works ever.

As for the urban fantasy recommendation, I've dipped my toe in, and have enjoyed the Dresden Files. I think I'm on the 5th or 6th book. I have to be in the right mood for Dresden, but I enjoy it when I am. I'll definitely check out the Peter Grant novels, it sounds right up my alley.

As for A Night in the Lonesome October, I read it and loved it. I went in absolutely blind, since a friend recommended it to me, and was alternatingly rolling my eyes and glued to the page. That book was more fun than it had any right to be, same for Gil's All Fright Diner. I also really liked The Automatic Detective.

However, all those feel just a little too...tongue-in-cheek...self-aware...funny? I don't know how to describe the feeling, but it seems like they don't go serious enough. I'm not looking for the grimmest, darkest novel to ever grimdark, but too much that should be solid drama gets treated with a wink and a nod.

Also, thanks for the clarification on The Laundry Files, that's basically what I was afraid of. After making it through Redshirts, I seem to have developed a powerful aversion to things that seem to pander to geek culture like that.

ravenkult posted:

Did you try the Hellboy novels? The one by Tom Piccirilli I thought was really good.

I tend to avoid any adaptation novel out of instinct, after a misspent childhood reading Star Trek novels, but I'll check it out. Was Mike Mignola involved in any way with Tom Piccirilli's or any of the other novels? The Hellboy-universe stuff that he's not involved in doesn't have quite the same magic.

coyo7e posted:

Some of Neil Gaiman's stuff might fit as well. He certainly writes like a graphic novel a lot of the time.
Sandman was the comic that got me into graphic novels, but after reading Good Omens, Neverwhere, American Gods, and Anansi Boys, I feel like I've heard everything that he has to say. Sandman struck the perfect tone for me, and is another good example of what I'm looking for, but his novels don't seem to be able to capture that same magic, Neverwhere aside.

I can't quite put my finger on what it is about them that I don't like, but aside from being just at little too similar to each other, I think it's the feeling that the endings are very predictable. They're well-written, contain some unique stuff, but I never really got a sense of dramatic tension out of them. It isn't that they ended badly, just a little too predictably for my taste.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hrrrrm. Ok, this is tougher. The other thing that Gaiman has written that's good is Stardust but yeah it's also somewhat predictable.

Have you read William Hope Hodgson's The Night Land? It was a big influence on Lovecraft. There's also Clarke Ashton Smith and of course Robert E. Howard.

Another direction you could go would be to read some of the stuff like H. Rider Haggard's She or King Solomon's Mines or the other pulp-horror stuff that Goon and Hellboy are drawing on. There's also Sax Rohmer's Fu Manchu novels but they're horribly, horribly racist and really only worth reading now for historical reasons (the big secret of the Indiana Jones franchise is that they're basically Sax Rohmer novels with the Nazis as the villains instead of the heroes).
I appreciate the recommendation on The Night Land, it looks interesting.

I also really should read Stardust. I absolutely love Lord Dunsany, and since Stardust seems to be Neil Gaiman writing in that style, I should give it a shot.

Also, you might be right about just going to the source and reading the old pulp stuff. Are there any guides out there for what is good (for certain definitions of "good")?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I liked the first one, the only real problem I had with it was the author's at-times baffling use of obscure terminology. I'm told that I was supposed to assume it was Johannes narrating, and thus makes sense in context, but it did get annoying for me when I was looking up words every other page. It felt a lot more to me like the author paid good money for a shiny new thesaurus, and drat it he was going to use it.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

coyo7e posted:

Sorry, should we bring up feminism or Nazi archetypes or something more interesting? Do tell. :allears:

That's an interesting point. However wouldn't Urban fantasy basically be its own thing, regardless of being "high" or "low" urban fantasy? Unless you're taking on a fully fantastical world, urban fantasy is sort of "low" by virtue of the general populace not being aware of magical reality(s). Although I'd consider a lot of stuff that involves almost nothing BUT highly magical characters interacting with highly magical crap (dresden, twenty palaces, Half-Made World?) to be effectively high fantasy in a low-fantasy setting. I don't even know what that means, but it feels right when I think of it in that regard.
I think urban fantasy has developed into a full-fledged subgenre, at least recently. I would have grouped it into low fantasy when I read Neverwhere and War for the Oaks in the 90's, but not now. I would look at them as seminal works of what would become urban fantasy, in much the same way I would look at Neuromancer or Vernor Vinge's True Names as being seminal works of cyberpunk.

As for The Half-Made World, I would argue that it owes more to magical realism than to more "traditional" fantasy genre fiction, though it does take place entirely in a secondary world, and is more fantastic than most magical realism.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Cardiovorax posted:

It doesn't, really. It'd be an affectation. Humans today are basically indistinguishable from humans ten thousand years ago, biologically speaking. There's no biological reason why they should find it easier to speak one language above any other, especially a particular one that's not even the oldest language we have records of.
I've read that learning languages that have click consonants is incredibly difficult to do after primary language acquisition is done. It's not impossible by any means, but I was told that it's even harder than learning a language with tones, and that attaining true fluency in a click language is one of the hardest linguistic things a person can do.

I took their use of a click language to be a way to keep most people from knowing what they are talking about without that being suspicious, with the "it's closest to what our progenitors spoke" being a convenient cover.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Patrick Spens posted:

As someone who has read a lot of Glen Cook, it's not really going to get better. The central conceit of The Black Company especially the first few books, is that you don't anything that the Narrator doesn't know, and there are a lot of things Croaker does not and will never know. I really like The Black Company but a lot of stuff happens off-screen and it helps to embrace that, rather than be frustrated by it.
I want to second this. I enjoy unreliable narrators more than most people, so what he was doing worked really well for me, but you will know within the first half of the first book if you are going to like the rest of the series.

Also, as someone who read and liked every book in the series, the quality does drop with each book, so if you go past the first trilogy, which stands alone well, know that if you pass the point where you consider the quality unacceptable, it will not get better. For me, he had just enough of that magic to keep me going, but I understand that a lot of people feel the quality drops too far.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Stuporstar posted:

Exactly. This is how humanity has survived for its entire existence. The fall of civilization would not change that because up until 10k years ago, at least, we did not have civilization. We survived without the comforts of an heirarchical agrarian society for well over 10 times that long, and we did it by being social animals, not anti-social ones. Sure, there would be panic, and lots of panicky assholes would make life miserable for all the survivors, but the people who would survive in the long term would be the ones who work together. I want more post-apocalyptic novels that focus on that, rather than the libertarian lone-wolf survivalist bullshit I'm so utterly sick of.
This. I recently read a nonfiction book about how society dealt with The Black Death, and I was continually amazed at how often things didn't degenerate into chaos and anarchy, even in the face of death rates akin to what we would experience in the event of nuclear war.

Not only are humans social animals, we are also far more adaptable than most of us realize, and are able to survive in conditions that many would consider unlivable. So often post-apocalyptic books just miss out on how much of a survival benefit a group is, in favor of some half-baked survivalist superman scenario. Makes me look at pretty much anything in the subgenre with a bit of a jaundiced eye.

Azathoth fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 22, 2014

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

mdemone posted:

Azathoth is possibly referring to Robert Gottfried's book, which is good but I liked Philip Ziegler's better (despite it being briefer and wider in scope). Both are named The Black Death but Gottfried's has a subtitle that I can't remember right now.

Edit: Frankly, for a social/familial perspective on the plague, Connie Willis' Doomsday Book is excellent despite being fiction -- and it is also a ripping good yarn. One of the rare books I recommend to everyone.
Actually, the one that I read is called The Great Mortality: An Intimate History of the Black Death, The Most Devastating Plague Of All Time by John Kelly, but thank you for the additional recommendations. The reason that I read it is that I read it is that I'd just read a couple "WHOLE WORLD COLLAPSES" books, and I was more than a little curious how people reacted historically when presented with, quite frankly, what must have felt like the end of the world.

Also, to bring this around more to the topic of the thread, does anyone have any recommendations for fantasy books where a plague actually plays a major role? It seems like disease plays a huge role in ancient history, but it seems to be conspicuously absent from every fantasy book I've ever read.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

bonds0097 posted:

American Gods was my second Gaiman book after Neverwhere and I loved it. I've re-read it several times. I like books that are about stories, belief and mythologies. I've also read everything else he's ever written, be it prose or comic, and loved it. I would say he's well-regarded, not overrated (which is just code for 'I don't like him but lots of other people do and they're obviously wrong').
As someone who grew up reading Sandman and read Neverwhere in high school, and who has read most of his other novels as an adult, I think I'm done with him until he figures out something new and interesting to say. I don't regret reading anything by him, and they're definitely good, well-written, and have interesting things to say, but I can't help but think that he might have said everything interesting that he's got to say and now he's just rehashing things that he said earlier and said better before. I definitely don't think he's overrated, but I do think that he's not really said anything new for quite some time.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I posted this in the audiobook thread, but after looking over the history, it seems like that thread doesn't get much traffic and I'm mostly want fantasy/scifi anyways, so I may as well ask here as well:

Are there any audiobook services worth getting that would allow me to listen to an unlimited number of books during any given time period?

I don't care about owning the audiobook, so if it goes away when I cancel, that's no problem. Also, I'm just fine with being able to listen to only one book at a time, if that matters. It would be preferable to be able to load them to a device for offline listening (either Android or Windows), but if it was strictly streaming, I could deal with that.

The reason that I ask is that after spending all day reading crap for work, I'm finding that I'm having increasing trouble at night with my eyes just not wanting to focus properly. I want to read, and my brain is up for processing the information, but my eyes are not cooperating, and I'd like to read for more than just work. I've also got an hour commute that books make much better. Lately, I've been checking out audiobook CDs from the local library, but I've been moving through them at 1-2 books per week and I'm fast running out of things they have available that I'd want to listen to.

However, with Audible offering 1-2 books per month and then having to buy more from there, I'm thinking I would tear through the included credits and be spending quite a bit if I got Audible or a similar service. If that's the only option, I'm willing to do it, I was just wondering if an unlimited alternative exists.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

mystes posted:

I don't think so. Audiobooks.com briefly had an unlimited plan but they dropped it after only a couple months. Probably they realize that nobody would actually want to buy audiobooks if they could rent them on this kind of plan.

Have you checked to see if your library offers digital audiobook downloads through overdrive or a similar service? This would at least be slightly more convenient than dealing with CDs.
Yeah, that's pretty much the conclusion that I've come to. It looks like Audible is the best way to go, quite frankly.

As for my library, they do offer it, but...the selection of SF/F boooks trends heavily towards the "paranormal romance" part of the urban fantasy subgenre and last time I was on there, I couldn't find a single thing I would want to listen to. I've gotten a bunch of good non-fiction on CD, since whoever buys that seems to have a bit of a WW2 bent, but I'm about out of that as well.

Oh well, I'm to pitch more money at Amazon...

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I just finished all three Ambergris books by Jeff Vandermeer, and I enjoyed them unlike anything I've read in quite some time. In searching for something new to read in the same vein (not quite ready to tackle the Southern Reach books yet), I ran across this bundle:

StoryBundle's Weird Fiction Bundle

I've heard very good things about Jagannath, but that's about it. Has anyone read any of these?

Azathoth fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 13, 2014

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Cardiovorax posted:

No, but I'm gonna pay money for it so you don't have to. Just wait a week.
I picked it up already for the Jeff Vandermeer alone, but I'd be curious if you think any of the other books are worth reading. The only other "weird fiction" books I've read are by China Mieville, but the subgenre is kind of intriguing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Syle187 posted:

Also, could anyone recommend any good Fantasy/Scifi blends? My Dad recommended the Darkover series by Marion Zimmer Bradley, but he also said he hadn't read it in about 30 years.
Jack Vance's Dying Earth stuff is amazing.

If you want to play a fun drinking game while reading it, take a shot every time something shows up that the creators of Dungeons and Dragons straight-up stole and added to their game. Depending on how fast you read, you may need a new liver by the time you finish reading.