Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
This just showed up on my Facebook feed:

The Psychology of Dexter posted:

Millions of us are fascinated by unlikely hero Dexter Morgan—a character who constantly makes us question what being “normal” really means. What makes Dexter tick? And what makes a show about a serial killer so appealing to those of us at home?

In The Psychology of Dexter 17 psychologists and devoted Dexter fans take on the show’s psychological complexities, analyzing not just the title character but also his family, coworkers, and even his viewers.
  • What can we learn about Dexter from the way he captures, kills, and disposes of his victims?
  • We know Dexter is a psychopath . . . don’t we? Without the Code of Harry, would Dexter have ever killed at all?
  • What do Deb’s daddy issues tell us about Dexter—and about Harry?
  • Was Rita a victim or a manipulator?
  • Can Jungian theory explain our fascination with Dexter? And do we need to be worried about our own Dark Passengers?
Think you know Dexter? The Psychology of Dexter will make you think again.

I wonder if it includes an essay on the significance of Chicky Hines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

And then post it so we can experience the moment vicariously.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

I mentioned this thread to my boyfriend a while back, when I realized I couldn't possibly sit and watch this season, told him about the major goon-gripes, showed him the best gifs. He thought people were overreacting, and didn't feel like the show was all that bad.

Tonight, he's watching the latest episode and keeps yelling at the characters, and the stupid plot. :allears:

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Chobdab posted:

Quinn is probably the shittiest Doakes replacement they could have picked. The antagonist role goes from an aggressive assertive guy who is always on Dexter's case to a guy who doesn't really give a poo poo about anything so there's really not much tension to be had.

It could have been interesting from the angle of "dirty cop finds another member of MM doing something even worse", but that would require more of a character on Quinn's part.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

It's hard to even halfway listen to episodes in the same room as me. Oddly enough, doing exactly that has gotten me into the latest season of True Blood - it's dumb at times, but absolutely shameless, which allows for great moments. Not so much for Dexter, though I will echo the sentiment that "gently caress me - gloves!" was a good moment.

I remember being actually surprised at Headward being just that. It wasn't just so much that I was genuinely shocked, but I thought there was no way the writers would do something so dumb. I also skipped the second half of season 5, I can't really remember why.

Didn't the books have something like Dexter mentoring Cody instead? That would have worked a lot better than a time-jump aging baby, I'd think, and the writers wouldn't have to have a 24/7 nanny to constantly explain where Dexter's protege was. They might have gone that way with Zach, but - oops, nope.

I also might have said some of this before. A lot of the show is running together for me - exactly how many episodes in are we? Anything more than three is atrocious because nothing of merit is loving happening

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

User-Friendly posted:

It's like a terrible version of my absolute favorite scene in the show, when Dexter enters the interrogation room with the guy confessing to being the Ice Truck Killer, who then asks who he is. WITHOUT MONOLOGUING about it, Dexter realizes (and lets the audience know he knows) that they have the wrong guy.

One day I want to watch the first season again, because I absolutely loved Brian. Maybe it would work if I pretended these were different shows? Or just that it's like the Simpsons, which I haven't watched in years.

True Blood finale wasn't bad, though. And maybe I should give Hannibal another chance. I was under the impression that it was a "new bad guy every week" show, and I've been on a kick for shows with a... stronger central narrative? If that doesn't sound too pretentious.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

Seriously, this show has no right to even use that word.

poo poo, is that Hannibal? Wow. How do they do that on NBC?

Regardless of Headward and cereal, at least Doomsday produced visually interesting crime scenes, as opposed to people standing around talking about slices of brain. :shrug:

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Hannah literally has no character other than to stand around looking ominously hot and talk about Argentina.

I kept hearing that, and I should have known it, but I couldn't believe it. But all this "I NEED TO BE WITH HER" is so utterly loving incomprehensible I can't stand it. How can Dexter be so infatuated with someone that barely even exists

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Schwarbage posted:

I think rewatching S1 before the finale was a huge mistake. It's going to be so hard swallowing this turd sandwich again now that I've reminded myself of what good Dex tastes like.

Also god drat do I miss Doakes.

I thought about the "grab a crayon and scribble this down" line and laughed a little bit. Then I started thinking about the crime scene Doakes was talking about, how it was visually striking with red string in a white room with blood everywhere. I know it's dumb to say this, but gently caress me when was the last time Dexter was at a crime scene?

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

One of the things I remember really enjoyed about the first book (which is the only one I've read, though I think I own 2 and 3 somewhere), was that there wasn't any pretense about Dexter being an avenging angel or whatever. It wasn't American Psycho-level gore, but he did exploratory surgery on his victims while they were still alive, which made it clear... Yeah, this guy's hosed up.

Granted, that might have been a bit much for TV and/or made Dex entirely unsympathetic to audiences to include from the start. I think it mostly irritates me now, seeming as how he's barely a ~*psychopath*~ as it is. (And for gently caress's sake, is it so hard to Google the correct terminology for mentally disturbed serial killers?)

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

jackpot posted:

Book two does the same thing with Doakes: Doakes doesn't die. Instead, Dexter watches as the bad guy cuts off his arms, legs, and tongue. Since this renders him basically incapable of ever telling anyone that Dexter's a serial killer, Dexter's pretty relieved at the whole situation. It was pretty brutal.

Book three I never even bothered with, because apparently it gets into some kind of "My Dark Passenger is an actual spirit-force inside me that talks and tells me what to do and has a mind of its own."

That's... Wow. :stare:

I did hear something about that, yeah - like serial killers are inhabited by literal demons or something? Maybe if they'd taken that route with Dr. Brainlady (Dr. Ghostlady?) and embraced it in a True Blood sort of way...

How subtly/otherwise scathing is Dexter's Final Cut? It sounds like it could pretty great, especially if I didn't necessarily have to read any of the other books before it.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

I'm watching Wilfred, and Elijah Wood's character's dad was played by the same guy who played Harry. And it was in a dream sequence.

But this ghost dad was actually menacing so it was much better than Harry.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

the truth posted:

Today I successfully convinced someone to stop watching this show once he finished S4. That's my good deed for the year.

I tried to do that, but my friend had already heard about the lumberjack bit. And he decided to watch anyway.

Then he posted on Facebook after he finished season 5, saying that he didn't get the hate, and that it was his favorite season so far. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Dirk Pitt posted:

Time for a scene where Trinity tells a kid to put the lotion on the skin; all while watching a train go round. What a loving villain Lithgow plays. He is going to kill the kid and be born as Trinity, isn't he?

Edit: Oh poo poo, does lithgow store bodies in his houses he builds for people?

Regardless of all the other bullshit, even the minor things in season 4 I'd entirely forgotten about, Trinity was a wonderful, wonderful villain.

That being said, your posts are wonderful and it's a just a joy to come here and read them.

• Locked thread