Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Twee as gently caress posted:

Missing lots of classics that should be added to the OP:

This is just the loving best.

I don't know why, but I've stuck with this show through its entire run, hoping that it could recapture the greatness that was season 4. At this point, I have no real hope. The only reason why I'm going to watch season 8 is for hatewatching purposes, and seeing the awesome gifs in this thread. Also: Chicky Hines. It could happen, and it wouldn't surprise me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

escape artist posted:

That kind of poo poo is what makes the show suck. It takes itself way too goddamn seriously. It needs to embrace its silliness a la True Blood. Well, needed to, I guess. The ship has sailed on that.

I just gave up at some point during season 6, and started to pretend that it doesn't take itself seriously, and it makes it slightly more entertaining.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

I went into this episode with the mindset of not taking it seriously and getting a few laughs out of the absurdity that is "Dexter" and the amazing .gifs that ensue. I wasn't disappointed in that regard, but it actually turned out to be decent. I am very intrigued by the Dr. Brainlady plotline. But of course I was intrigued last season by Deb walking in on Dexter stabbing Colin Hanks in the heart and the consequences that would follow, but they managed to screw that up. So, I'm not holding my breath.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

This:

Junkfist posted:

I want Dexter to kill someone directly behind Batista in his office.

Then he needs to drag the body out behind peoples' eyelines like a really hard Hitman 47 section.

and this:

Cojawfee posted:

Oh please let El Sapo be Chicky Hines.

would make watching the last four years of this show worth it. If the writers didn't decide to send Dexter off in the right way and make a season comparable to seasons 1, 2, and 4, then they might as well deliver us some truly excellent fan service absurdity.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

There is definitely something else going on with Dr. Brainlady. I don't know if she is the Brainkiller, but the whole "the killer left pieces of brain at my doorstep and broke into my house, please save me" thing seems like common misdirection, and manipulation. I think she is manipulating Dexter into trusting and caring for her, so she can incorporate him into some grand scheme of hers.

Dumb theories about a dumb show aside, I'm enjoying this season so far. I got a few good laughs from this show, both at it and with it. The air conditioner bit was good, and I chuckled every time I saw and heard "El Sapo" on screen. Thanks thread.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think this latest episode was one of the more enjoyable ones (since season 4, RIP Trinity) for me, simply because while watching it tonight, it finally clicked: this show really is like Batman with swearing and blood. I used to watch this show for the tension, but since the first episode of season 5, that's deflated for me.

This really is one of the most ridiculous detective shows you could possibly watch, and it wouldn't even be worse than a show about a guy who dresses up like a bat.

Speaking of which, I would watch the gently caress out of an HBO Batman series.

They pretty much all but embraced the idea of Dexter being a super-anti-hero in the second season. Remember the "Dark Avenger" comic book he found in the card shop, or whatever the hell it was called? They completely forgot about that, and the show got stupid and campy anyway without the writers embracing or even realizing it because they are that goddamn stupid. Imagine how better this show would be if they fully embraced Dexter as a sort-of cartoonish comic book anti-hero, and created impossible situations for the sake of being campy and awesome, instead of campy and stupid. However, season 4 probably wouldn't have been as good as it was if they went in that direction (although it wasn't perfect by any stretch).

And yeah, I agree, I would love a Batman HBO series, although I say this because Batman has been my favorite superhero my whole life. Now that Nolan says he is done with the Dark Knight trilogy, we need a new iteration of the Batman on screen. An HBO series that would combine the darkness of the DK films, with a little bit of camp from the Adam West days would be amazing.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

I just can't understand why so many people find Jennifer Carpenter attractive. Maybe it's her face, or maybe it's dumb character that spoiled me on her, but I just don't like her. And I like skinny brunette girls.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I up in the air over whether Dr. Brainlady's totally the killer, or it's so drat obvious that it's a red herring.

Brains in a jar left on her door she says, DVD in the house from intruder we never saw, unidentified person with a gun wearing a glove in the murder DVD. It's all too pat. But, on the other hand, it's Dexter.

If she is innocent, you'd think after the second brain in a jar left on her doorstep, she'd spend a few thousand on hidden security cameras and motion sensors.

Yeah, it could very well be a red herring, but I can't figure it out quite yet. However, I'm sure the majority of Dexter viewers (you know, the people who post "OMG DEXTER IS BACK <3" on facebook) believe that she is totally innocent, and that everything she has said and done is genuine. These are the same people who were shocked by the Edward James Olmos ghost reveal. So maybe she is the killer and it is that obvious.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Well, there went the "Vogel is the brain killer" theory. I'm surprised, and maybe even a little impressed that the writers didn't take that route. But, we'll see.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They're literally walking out of the station with her HAHAHAHAHAHA

That scene was so hilariously bad. For those of you who still take this show seriously, you would enjoy yourselves much more if you looked at it like a comedy. I loved Dr. Brainlady's reaction to Dexter shooting up Deb with M99: "That was interesting." Also, every time I see her, I see the IKEA monkey now. Thanks, thread.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

13/f/cali posted:

Gotta give Vogel points for having the presence of mind to grab Debra's written statement. After all, if she hadn't taken it then Batista would've found it and gone "Hmm, a written confession from Debra for Maria's murder that also confirms her brother was the Bay Harbor Butcher?" and torn it into pieces for no good reason.

Yeah, but I think she took the whole notepad. I was thinking about that, and wondering, won't Quinn notice that his entire notepad is gone? Wouldn't that seem suspicious? Why didn't Vogel just rip the pages with Deb's statement on it? And then I remembered that Quinn is a terrible detective, and either the writers/director acknowledge that fact, or they didn't even consider it.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Jesus Christ. The Killing has become a better show than Dexter. The loving Killing

This episode didn't even provide laughs outside the of the Masuka/Masukette scene. I mean, I still giggle when I see Dr. Brainlady and think of the ikea monkey, but that's a given. Other than my sadistic need to see this thing through to the end, Masuka will be the only real reason why I will be tuning in next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Man, watching Dexter has become a loving chore. I just watched the previous week's episode (not this past Sunday's episode, the Sunday before), and I'm seriously thinking about stopping right there, despite my masochistic commitment to seeing this thing through to the end. Earlier this season, I was actually having fun watching this show for the same reasons why I watched Sharknado. But now it has gotten SO bad, I can't even watch it for those purposes. This might be the worst season of television I have ever seen.

• Locked thread