Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Kenning posted:

If you're not loving around, did they mail it to your house? Did you get pulled over by the airplane North By Northwest style?

How they did it for me, which I think is how it's done everywhere an airplane patrols, is there's four or five patrol cars just chilling at the next on ramp, waiting for the airplane to radio them your speed and color of car. Then they pull into the highway and flip on their lights. The cars don't need to see you speeding as the airplane did.

Edit: also, the airplane clocks clocks you for a mile or two using paint on the side of the road as start/end points. So your speed is an average. When I got popped I was actually trying to go 100, but there was a truck passing another truck for a bit so my ticket was only for 83mph :cool:

tranten fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Aug 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
theres water falling from the sky in san diego

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Chinatown posted:

theres water falling from the sky in san diego

It was 100 degrees and rained for 5 minutes in the Inland Empire yesterday

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Tropical cyclone remnants, nothing to do w/ regular rainfall patterns unfortunately

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Expect a quick return to your regularly scheduled programming (hot af)

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Got some rain in the OC for the first time since April.

Figures, I just washed my car.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

FCKGW posted:

It was 100 degrees and rained for 5 minutes in the Inland Empire yesterday

Thats just condensed smog.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

FogHelmut posted:

Got some rain in the OC for the first time since April.

Figures, I just washed my car.

Carwashing, the modern day rain dance. Just sprinkled here in NorCal. It's supposed to be El Nino this year right? That's still happening?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Illuminado posted:

Carwashing, the modern day rain dance. Just sprinkled here in NorCal. It's supposed to be El Nino this year right? That's still happening?

No, El Nino season is over. Typically it's followed by La Nina, which is drier than normal conditions, but that blob off the coast was so large it screwed with normal El Nino patters so were not really sure what it's supposed to look like this winter.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

This year was supposed to be La Niņa, weather's older, less funny work, but apparently that's unlikely.

Spent the weekend in Mendocino, a coastal Northern California logging town repurposed as a tourist area. It's beautiful and quiet. If you want to so somewhere and just hang, alone or with a friend, I highly recommend it; you can also bicycle, kayak, hike, and so on. Beautiful botanic garden nearby, as well as many many wineries.. I feel much more at peace with myself.

e: I saw the Milky Way for the first time in decades, at least.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 21, 2016

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Lol some guy got mad at me before when I told him I saw the milky way when I was out in the desert. He was like "We're in the loving milky way bro you can't loving see it"

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
It drizzled out here in the Coachella Valley yesterday. Today it is still humid as gently caress. In other news my AC stopped working.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
Business Insider wrote an entire article about how in-n-out is overrated and how californians are "suckered in" by the "manufactured cult"

this entire article was prompted by Clinton getting her staffers in-n-out before hopping on a red eye to the other coast

It includes a choice bit of opinion about how other corporations have "maintained quality" with a much more widespread presence.

I don't know who this schmuck is but if he isn't from around here then this article only proves his incredible jealousy

and if he is from around here then he can :getout: and make room for people who actually appreciate our great state

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
what a lil' babby bitch

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
when I had a cousin visit from New York (to Los Angeles), me and my west coast bretheren tried to figure out some good recommendations for her to do. It boiled down to, in rank:

• in-n-out
  • mexican food
  • korean food
  • the getty or the getty villa

the choices petered out since she probably didn't have the time for a full-fledged vacation, probably enough time to sneak an extra lunch or dinner somewhere.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
also i google searched in-n-out news articles and found this very good doggy

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I like in-n-out, but I can't think of it as uniquely Californian because they have no avocados.
For this reason, habit is more californian.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
the author's twitter profile says he's from new york

figures

we have shake shack here, too, and you don't see in-n-out closing doors en masse, dude should relax and eat at california pizza kitchen, which inexplicably has restaurants in new york, and are probably just as hip and terrible there as they are here, and just complain about that.

apparently there is another business insider writer that wrote a response piece that praised in-n-out from the viewpoint of a "native californian" but he says that it's "merely ok".

missing the point, man

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
in n out is cool b/c it has bible verses on the packaging and that keeps out the vampires

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
he probably doesnt like bbq chicken pizza either

or burritos

i hope someone punches him in the mouth!!!!

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Chinatown posted:

he probably doesnt like bbq chicken pizza either

or burritos

i hope someone punches him in the mouth!!!!

someone like him probably likes burritos but is only familiar with chipolte and it likely doesn't occur to him to try mexican food in a state that, you know, actually borders mexico

nothing fills you up like a good chorizo and machaca burrito

and the nice thing about this state is that you are rarely ever more than a few miles from a good authentic mexican food place as long as you aren't in the mountains or high desert

The weird thing is that I had really good chinese food in lone pine in the eastern sierras, sandwiched between steak houses and burger joints. Apparently the cook was from taiwan and wanted to open a restaurant (or something, if memory serves) and she was happy to see someone order the spicy dishes.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Is Business Insider a real business website or just a click bait blog?

It's $2.50 for a cheeseburger, with lettuce, tomato and onion. Where else you getting that?

Longpig Bard fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 24, 2016

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

coupbrick posted:

Is Business Insider a real business website or just a click bait blog?

Definitely click bait.

Just shock media trying to bait you into being angry about our lovely burgs. Hey sorry you can't appreciate an in and out burg, insider dude. Must suck to have bad taste. In fact, I think I'll ride my bicycle to in and out tomorrow.

hell astro course fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 24, 2016

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

celeron 300a posted:

Business Insider wrote an entire article about how in-n-out is overrated and how californians are "suckered in" by the "manufactured cult"

this entire article was prompted by Clinton getting her staffers in-n-out before hopping on a red eye to the other coast

It includes a choice bit of opinion about how other corporations have "maintained quality" with a much more widespread presence.

I don't know who this schmuck is but if he isn't from around here then this article only proves his incredible jealousy

and if he is from around here then he can :getout: and make room for people who actually appreciate our great state

In-n-out doesn't travel well. Those poor burgers were probably soggy and lukewarm by the time they got them on the plane. In-n-out needs to be consumed immediately.

People who think it's overrated probably had it like in this tweet. And in that case, they wouldn't be wrong.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Yeah sometimes I will get it to go in the drive-thru and when i get home its still good but not the same as when you eat it at the restaurant. The correct way to eat In-N-Out is at a table outside the restaurant or inside when very drunk late at night.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

celeron 300a posted:

The SF chronicle ran that same article, and it was eviscerated in the comments for being dumb idiot garbage, which is probably the only time news comments have been cool and good.

Anyways in-n-out is really good, but it's nothing special unless you're comparing it to other fast food places, and taking the low prices into account. But there's always some smug retarded chucklefuck who compares it to a more expensive place, and then plays the "checkmate, dumb Californians :smug:" card.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

nm posted:

I like in-n-out, but I can't think of it as uniquely Californian because they have no avocados.
For this reason, habit is more californian.

For the record, let me state that I agree with your opinion that a food item is more deserving of a "california" adjective if it has avocado of some form. see: california roll

however, I see too many burritos that are "california burritos" and they have no avocado or guacamole. One burrito had steak, fries, and cheddar cheese. Maybe the fries made it californian? I dunno. I mean, onion dip used to be called "california dip" for some dumb reason that I don't understand. Adding "california" to something shouldn't make it exotic or cool. But it should have avocado.

Supposedly in-n-out is in 6 states - all of the ones bordering california plus utah and texas. So, the haters just have to fly halfway to try it out now.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm oretty sure that french fries in a a burrito is some kind of awful socal thing.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

withak posted:

I'm oretty sure that french fries in a a burrito is some kind of awful socal thing.

California burritos are delicious and you are either retarded or some uninformed if you believe otherwise.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

withak posted:

Sounds more like Tex Mex.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

withak posted:

California burritos are awesome (and I'm from norcal), but they should also have avocado in them.

They are from socal (San diego specifically) and not anywhere near "authentic" (though the mission burrito certainly isn't either), but they are loving delicious even when not drunk.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Would Huell Howser(rip) be impressed by a french fry burrito? I'd like to think so.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I thought French fries in burritos was a San Diego thing.

I personally don't care for potatoes in a burrito. Even a breakfast burrito. Rice maybe if there are refried beans.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

key party favors posted:

Would Huell Howser(rip) be impressed by a french fry burrito? I'd like to think so.

Huell Howser's dead?!?! :ohdear: I'm prematurely turning into an old person, but I love watching reruns of California's Gold

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

key party favors posted:

OH WOW YOU PUT FRIES......INSIDE!!!...WELL GOSH ISNT THAT SOMETHIN'

RIP that cool man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEOca0Dcpvk

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
Ok thread. Should a breakfast burrito have potatoes or beans? Or both?

Orange County seems to lean towards diced potatoes but I've heard that San Diego uses no potatoes and adds refried beans.

I think the latter is better but diced potatoes seem to be better if you use salsa.

There are some places that use hash browns and the choice just gets harder, especially if the hash browns are crispy

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
what's this wet stuff faling from the sky
it's freaking me out

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l99Ek4YtTuw

Huell and Avocado Dog know what it's all about.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

celeron 300a posted:

Ok thread. Should a breakfast burrito have potatoes or beans? Or both?

Orange County seems to lean towards diced potatoes but I've heard that San Diego uses no potatoes and adds refried beans.

I think the latter is better but diced potatoes seem to be better if you use salsa.

There are some places that use hash browns and the choice just gets harder, especially if the hash browns are crispy

i usually just get eggs, cheese, guac, fries and pico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You haven't lived until you have had a breakfast burrito with chorizo.

• Locked thread