Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Man this started like a cute story but got weird fast. Can't wait to see how the author resolves this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Man, the mood whiplash on this was at full this chapter. Started funny, then serious, then heartwarming and finally ominous. :stare:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You are confused Gaku is Gaku. There isnt such a thing as a "deviant" Gaku or a "Quantum Physics expert" Gaku, she just is

Ok, let me see if I'm understanding this correctly. Once that Gaku 'prime' comes to terms with the posibilities out there she turns into the Gaku of that possibility?There's no argument about the fact that she was a different Gaku at the end of the call, sort of like the caller become the called.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Rexides posted:

That's the thing, there is no "Gaku prime" as far as each Gaku is concerned, she is the prime. There is complete symmetry between all the Gakus, which is made apparent when near the end of the call, the one who talks as if is the original caller is the one who, from the manga's perspective at that point was the one who received the call. Even who is calling whom is uncertain, and we just have to accept that as a fact, because if there was always a definite caller, she would never have manifested her powers.

With 'Gaku prime' I was talking about the one we as audience are following in the story, are you telling me that there aren't one and we're following the Gaku that fits better to the narrative?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

nielsm posted:

Check the last page of first chapter and the first few of chapter 7 again. They deal with "how and when does a story start", where I'd say the answer is "the story is what the narrator tells". The narrator for this story is some Gaku that knows of everything she tells, so it would have to be one who at least can access the memories of all those alternative ones that didn't really come to be. The entire thing is being told in past tense too.

Actually, drat that's a lot of foreshadowing in chapter 7, the "11 years later" part. Sounds like it might even be a world where Marii never died?

Holy crap, I think that I need to read everything a few times more before everything makes sense to me :psyduck:

Just a random thought, what if the crazy psycopathic girl from the beginning is another Gaku (or someone that broke after experiencing something similar)

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

:stare:

Gaku's gone full Yandere. How she dealt with Alice was specially terrifying given the version of Gaku who fell in love with her

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

The Lord of Hats posted:

:psyduck:

Goddamn, Gaku's terrifying.

Honestly, I think this has to be it. Just lay all the cards on the table, and explain to Yukari what's been going on. On the bright side, once she gets past this obstacle, even if she never uses the phone again she'll be the most skilled assassin the world has ever seen. Koro-sensei would be proud :v:.

I can't help but feel that the one killing Yukari's another 'quantum people' like Gaku. Heck, maybe is even Gaku herself

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

jonjonaug posted:

2. When I said that Gaku should become a magical girl, I was only joking. And then this happens. :stare:

I...uh...WHAT :psyduck:

I need to read that ending like, yesterday :(

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So, stil no news?

We'll never gonna see the ending to this, aren't we? :smith:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Curiosity got the best of me and I looked at the Volume 3 raws....

:psyboom:

Maybe is a good thing than it haven't been translated since I honestly doubt than my weak mind would resist knowing the truth. Lots of fluffly and heartwarming moments between the girls :allears:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
You can get them here:

http://rawcs.net/1378.html

or here:

http://rawscans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18169

It will be monumental task though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Thank you so much Dr. Amazing! You're really honoring your name :neckbeard:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

A jargogle posted:

In terms of the actual plot, this seems to be going the direction of mass murder committed by a toddler... :allears:

This series has gotten at the point on which Gaku could turn into motherfucking Godzilla and I wouldn't bat an eye :suspense:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ViggyNash posted:

I'm not a physicist, but I really like this kind of stuff and have thought about it a lot. Maybe I can clarify things if someone's still confused.

Copenhagen: Imagine you have a friend named Bob. Bob tells you he's going to the store to buy groceries. But while he's out, you have no guarantee that he is actually at the store buying groceries. There is at least a minimal probability of him being literally anywhere. He could be on the moon for all you knew. But the moment something about the state of his existence is measured, for example his position placing him inside the store, all other possibilities collapse and you are left with the possibility that was measured, and therefore observed.

Many-Worlds: Bob is at the store buying groceries. His position has been measured and therefore you know he is at the store. However, all of those other possibilities still exist as alternate worlds. So even though you have observed him being at the store, another you has observed him as being on the moon, and yet another has observed him being eaten by a lion in Times Square, another in Death Valley. All possibilities exist simultaneously as alternate existences parallel to your own.

You guys would really enjoy playing the Zero Escape series (9 hours, 9 persons, 9 doors and Virtue's Last Reward) since it pretty much let you play with a Gaku-like protagonist.

And regarding the actual chapter :psyboom:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dr_Amazing posted:

This is my take too, but I'm a little scared I'm warping things to fit my own understanding. 3 More pages since they're pretty light on text.

WELP :magical:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Gaku does NOT gently caress around :allears:

Oh, and just for the record Dr. Amazing's pages are popping out already on manga sites' Qualia discussions

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

pandaK posted:

Isn't it possible to accidentally stumble on a universe where there are other people with her powers?

You really think Gaku would allow it?

Girl's gone off the deep end :stare:

And here's a link to the forum where the tranlsation popped up:

http://dynasty-scans.com/forum/topics/1897-qualia-the-purple-discussion?page=2

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Goddamit Gaku, you just made Alice your own worst enemy. 5 year old logic at its finest, good intentions but TERRIBLE execution.

And for the idea of suggesting Qualia to be picked up, you could tray with Seven Seas Entertainment

http://sevenseasentertainment.tumblr.com/ask

They've picked a lot of weird series and always respond to questions and suggestions, they're pretty good.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So the thing with time being inmutable is true on Gaku's universe...until she finds a way to broke that too.

It was very cute how happy Gaku was with the kiss though :3:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 9, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Zenzirouj posted:

I keep waiting to see the one Gaku who exterminates every other human in the world, then just when she and Yukari finally settle down together, Yukari slips on a banana peel and breaks her neck. Or an alien lands, blasts Yukari, then leaves.

Not gonna lie, I'd like to see Gaku on roaring rampage of revenge against fruits or going full Galactus. :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dr_Amazing posted:

:siren:Chapter 14 is finished. The whole thing is together here.:siren:
http://imgur.com/a/7kN6J

How... how many chapters are left?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I'd say post them as you finish (if isn't that much of a bother of course) I can't wait to see where is this gonna end. :f5:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
What..

:byodood::byodood::byodood::byodood:

:psyboom:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dr_Amazing posted:

Just a reminder that "Hatou Manabu" is Gaku's real name. The kanji for Manabu can also be read as Gaku.

No wonder there aren't disagreements on the Gaku Collective. Gaku's lacks any kind of mercy even for herself.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The comments made me curious but I didn't found anything similar to that on the first chapters, however, it surprised me to see Yukari's mom and siblings. I forgot they were a thing :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Interesting to note that when Gaku mentioned recreating her first meeting with Yukari, the positions are reversed from how it first happened.

Well, on futureCop's version she did mention that the kiss wasn't an accident that time.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mindblast posted:

Thing is even the knifedesign doesn't match up. I'm going to do a full reread soon but my initial guess for now is that it refers something that occurs sooner.

The knife Is the knife used by that ax crazy chick who mutilates Gaku, kickstarting the whole thing

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Dr. Amazing and futurecop, remember that I mentioned how your scans showed up on Dynasty-Scans' forums? Well, people there knows that I'm a goon and so one of the uploaders reached to me looking for a way to get in touch with you to ask permission to upload chapter 14 over there.

I can pass along the message or give you a mail to contact personally the staff of Dynasty Scans (or viceversa).

I really need to get PM for things like this :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Suaimhneas posted:

I don't think Yukari built any new parts into her, she just reprogrammed her to not be a serial killer.

It is weird that she vanished into thin air (not even having a cameo or something on Gaku's trips) though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Jesus Christ Gaku, get some therapy for gently caress's sake. :gonk:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dr_Amazing posted:

This is the rest of the backlog and brings up to about halfway through this chapter.

FUUUUCK

Turn back Gaku, TURN BACK!

Xyven posted:

She's gonna get hit by a car, isn't she

Furious Lobster posted:

Suicide by car after all the "love" that Gaku has given her from birth.

Dammit.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Gaku's gonna kill us all :gonk:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Ardeem posted:

Clearly the only option is to kill all the humans and replace them with robots programmed not to hurt Yukari.

You know that one of them will blow on Yukari's face :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
:suspense:

Poor Alice :smith:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
It did became a cult

Goddamit Gaku.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Factor_VIII posted:

I think it's likely that Gaku cannot possess her because Yukari is sui generis. Her robot vision and other abilities completely separate her from the rest of mankind and Gaku simply cannot connect to her.

Now I'm wondering if this distinction holds true for every JAUNT's gifted kid. In all the realities Gaku has seen, was JAUNT's original goal mentioned anywhere?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
My brain's leaking from my ears trying to understand your posts and their implications guys. :psyboom:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Wasn't argued on this thread that there isn't a Gaku 'Prime' just the Gaku 'Gestalt'?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

FutureCop posted:

:siren: I'M ALIVE! And I bring you chapter 14 and chapter 15 in album form. The original album has everything as well, but moving forward I thought it would be better to separate them so they'd load easier.:siren:

Sorry for the wait all, not only did a lot of stuff come up for me, this chapter had a lot of points where I had to triple-check the meaning of some text. But now I'm back in the swing of things and loving it. Thanks again to Dr. Amazing and all the goons in this thread for the help.

Here's an infodump of a coupla things to help your reading experience:

What's Gaku talking about when she says the reality is decided by group consensus? You can see her thoughts on this matter back here where Nanami has forgotten Yukari and "replaced" her with a happier memory.

What's Gaku mean when another observer above her can change her determined reality? This paradox is alluded to here, where Nanami poses a question on how and when observation determines reality.

Kasoku Tomonori? Who's he?

Gaku can only take the most extreme options? I believe she's talking about Fermat's Principle, which is alluded to in the manga as well. From what I can understand, this quote is what Gaku is referencing: "Fermat's principle is the main principle of quantum electrodynamics where it states that any particle (e.g. a photon or an electron) propagates over all available (unobstructed) paths and the interference (sum, or superposition) of its wavefunction over all those paths (at the point of observer or detector) gives the correct probability of detection of this particle (at this point). Thus the extremal (shortest, longest or stationary) paths contribute into this interference most as they can not be completely cancelled out."

Alice is the key? What's that all about? Check my predictions below!

And here's some of my predictions (no I haven't read ahead):

I believe the "key" that Alice has is mentioned back here. Essentially, it is her unique "perspective" that she has to solve complicated problems in no time at all.
The ramifications of what Alice alludes to on that page brings two things to think about :

1) Alice being able to solve P=NP problems means that she could potentially solve the famous Traveling Salesman problem. The Traveling Salesman problem is a famous optimization problem for route calculation. If Alice knows how to solve it, perhaps Gaku will finally be able to find the ideal 'route' that she must traverse to get the world she desires.

2) Alice being able to understand and bring about the Theory of Everything could bring us to a point where Gaku could understand the very laws of the universe, and by being able to understand and, more importantly, "observe" them, change the universe to bend to her will. This is alluded to in her anthropic principle explanation where she explains that "the present is a result of observations made in the future that change the past retroactively" and that "laws of the universe exist because humans observed them."

Also, I don't think Gaku is able to just "become Alice" to solve her problems. Alice could potentially be one of the people she "can't become", like Yukari. But more importantly, Gaku has said that she doesn't get all knowledge and experience from other people she has become, so it's likely that Gaku wouldn't be able to use Alice's powers. Therefore, Gaku has to make Alice give her the information she wants. And by hook or by crook, she will.

Also, you gave me a heart-attack with that image, Squidster. Spooky!

Thank you so much for this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dr_Amazing posted:

I think it's interesting that happy Alice still has her dyed hair. So the next time around she deliberately kept her insecure about her childhood or something.

I was under the impression, Alice never took the shoot and that allowed for her project to get completed.

• Locked thread