Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

lol, passcodes are frequently single use or ~50 uses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I have never had one to redeem before because they're not dropping an event on rural oregon. Now I know that!

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Anyone else finding the latest build of Ingress just draining your phone battery really quickly?

My phone was completely drained by this evening, and it was fully charged this morning. Ingress used up 35% of that battery, somehow, even though I only played today for 20 minutes.

The rest of my phone use today? I received 5 texts and checked the bus schedule. That's it.

(Now, my phone is an old Galaxy Nexus, but still - it shouldn't die that quickly!)

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 10, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Qu Appelle posted:

Anyone else finding the latest build of Ingress just draining your phone battery really quickly?

My phone was completely drained of batter by this evening, and it was fully charged this morning. Ingress used up 35% of that battery, somehow, even though I only played today for 20 minutes.

The iOS version asked for new permissions to run GPS in the background after this update. You could opt out.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

eddiewalker posted:

The iOS version asked for new permissions to run GPS in the background after this update. You could opt out.

Does that apply to Android as well? That's probably it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Has ingress ever not loving wrecked a phone's battery? Like, if you had to design an app to vomit stored electrical power, the only way to beat what Ingress does would be to strobe the flash and be constantly vibrating.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Qu Appelle posted:

Does that apply to Android as well? That's probably it.

As far as I know you have to actually force stop it to get it to not use GPS in the background.

In other news, I had a portal held for around 140 days when they made the change where you need to recharge every 72 hours instead of a week. Yeah, I let that one decay on accident. That's when I stopped playing.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Javid posted:

Has ingress ever not loving wrecked a phone's battery? Like, if you had to design an app to vomit stored electrical power, the only way to beat what Ingress does would be to strobe the flash and be constantly vibrating.

Well, there's 'the phone's going to die after playing for 3 hours straight' battery wrecking, and then there's 'I used the phone maybe 30 minutes total for everything, let it sit on my desk, and 6 hours later it turned itself off because it ran out of power' battery wrecking - which I've never experienced before with Ingress.

I can try killing the process if it continues.

BarristaSelmy
Oct 10, 2012
I've turned off most notifications and that helps with the battery issue. I'm the type though that doesn't care about badges or how long I've owned a portal.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat
Hack times are currently reduced to half the amount of time between hacks. So without any heat sinks, it's only 2.5 minutes.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Link AP is also doubled.

Also - I think I narrowed down the issue - if you have Ingress running but just in the background, it sucks your battery dry. This is new, and I believe that it was introduced in the last patch or two. If you haven't launched Ingress at all, it's not an issue.

Turning Notifications off helps as well, but no - this is a new and separate bug with the game.

( have a feeling it's because my phone is so old that it can't handle the updates anymore.)

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 13, 2014

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

transparent idiom posted:

Hack times are currently reduced to half the amount of time between hacks. So without any heat sinks, it's only 2.5 minutes.

With one very rare heatsink on each of two adjacent portals, you can just glyph hack them back to back until they're burnt out. We redid the mods on a few of our farm portals here to abuse this. Level 8 portals with a vr heatsink and vr multihack :fap:

aaronp
Jul 7, 2002

I'm unable to link or field anything today because of this:

Now that's a field.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

"gently caress everyone in those eight states"

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Javid posted:

"gently caress everyone in those eight states"
"There's an event going on today in several major cities and having a field over the site at the measurement times boosts our score by 40%"

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

GWBBQ posted:

"There's an event going on today in several major cities and having a field over the site at the measurement times boosts our score by 40%"

"Our one city getting more points is more important than literally all of the other people under that field being able to link"

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Javid posted:

"Our one city getting more points is more important than literally all of the other people under that field being able to link"

Correct, our city is more important than you and everyone else in your state. Make your own megafield if you don't like it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Zodijackylite posted:

Correct, our city is more important than you and everyone else in your state. Make your own megafield if you don't like it.

Pretty much this.

devnulll
Jun 17, 2012

I'd hit that.
Saw a post in faction chat about Jarvis/ADA ban. Whats up?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I doubt that's a thing. But here's a different thing:

Possible new badges and Intel site - http://weekly.ascii.jp/elem/000/000/283/283450/

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
^ new badges live now, I just got a gold 'trekker', which is nice. The other two medals aren't being 'backdated' though as far as me and my ingress buddies can tell, so stats only recorded from early December.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I at least got credit for missions completed back to the beginning of missions being a thing. It looks like the engineer badge count starts with mods that you have outstanding already today, so anything deployed before that doesn't count.

jeef
Jun 1, 2004

I'm a fan of the new badges. Deployed over 100 shields tonight I otherwise would have recycled. And anything that combats 'cargressing' is a welcome change.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I wish I had run ingress while I was walking DC more. I clocked 40 miles of walking on my pedometer which would have put me in gold trekker territory from where I am now.

spiny
May 20, 2004

This new 'All AXA branches are portals' - here in the UK, AXA is just an insurance broker, and I can't see that any of the branches in my nearest city have gone live yet - is there some American AXA thats a fast food chain or something, and non-USians are gonna get stiffed, again ?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

spiny posted:

This new 'All AXA branches are portals' - here in the UK, AXA is just an insurance broker, and I can't see that any of the branches in my nearest city have gone live yet - is there some American AXA thats a fast food chain or something, and non-USians are gonna get stiffed, again ?

Nope, it's the insurance agency. Also, there's some AXA-sponsored shield (get it? insurance, shield), which is only hackable from AXA branch portals in Germany, Indonesia, Italy, Poland, Spain, and Switzerland, and is supposedly stronger than a VR shield.

spiny
May 20, 2004

cool, just have to wait for the local offices to go live then :)

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Love the medal for walking. I know a few players who will be outraged.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Javid posted:

This is the best thing. All the "hardcore" 14-16 level players are bitching about "freebie" badges and that they had to work for it. Who loving cares?

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Javid posted:

Seconded. Means that I only need one more gold to get to Level 11!

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This is the best thing. All the "hardcore" 14-16 level players are bitching about "freebie" badges and that they had to work for it. Who loving cares?

That's why they have all those other jerkoff badges that aren't possible for anyone else to get.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I more meant the people who won't get out of their car for any reason who probably have a total of 0 KM walked and are now one entire badge column behind. Some people in faction chat immediately got the maximum trekker badge, which is awesome for them. I'm a couple good days shy of the gold, since it apparently does count riding a bike!

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Basically if the GPS puts you on something that's not a road, it counts as walking. They probably have a maximum walking speed check as well. That's really all they're able to do.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I doubt it's based on being on a road since most of my biking is on the street. Figured it was a speed check of around 20 mph or so.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
If it was as simple as that, traffic in DFW would net me so many more kilometers. :iiam:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

grilldos posted:

If it was as simple as that, traffic in DFW would net me so many more kilometers. :iiam:

It is as simple as a speed check. Google thinks I own a bike.

I don't.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I feel ya fellow traffic-sufferer.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
I sometimes use Ingress while out on a run. Doesn't count towards my distance walked :(

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Turambar posted:

I sometimes use Ingress while out on a run. Doesn't count towards my distance walked :(

Clearly you're running too fast. You need to be at the same speed as a vehicle slowly creeping through a parking lot at 3 A.M.

If you can visualize that you'll have that badge in no time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Looks like they introduced the other medals as a way to gain levels, as they're suspending the Seer one.

Niantic posted:

Additionally, we’re working to reduce the time needed to process the thousands of new Portal submissions and edits we receive every day. In order to help us address our growing queue of new Portal submissions, starting Dec 31, 2014 we will temporarily suspend the Seer Medal. You will maintain your current Seer Medal status, but new Portals submitted after Dec 31, 2014 will not be counted towards the Seer Medal. Portals submitted on Dec 31 and earlier will be counted.

https://plus.google.com/+Ingress/posts

• Locked thread