Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Zombie Guy posted:

I've been attacking a few enemy portals in my area (not very well since I'm still fairly low-level) and I've managed to get a few mind fields set up.

Last night, a blue player took over one of my portals, and then later in the evening, I found a key for that same portal outside of my apartment building. Kinda odd. Is this a weird coincidence or is this some kind of "horse head in the bed" warning?

Are you saying that the key wasn't near a portal at all, and it was just dropped right on your apartment? Because then yeah, someone knows where you live and is sending you a message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

FabioClone posted:

Because then yeah, someone knows where you live and is sending you a message.

A player dropped a key from Hawaii on my desk portals today. Show Off.

Golden Gate Bride
Oct 23, 2008
knife to meet you

FabioClone posted:

Are you saying that the key wasn't near a portal at all, and it was just dropped right on your apartment? Because then yeah, someone knows where you live and is sending you a message.
:wtc: what's wrong with ingress players

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

FabioClone posted:

No there was a different portal nearby which happens to be outside my apartment.
I didn't know that keys could drop to other portals that are linked to it. Makes much more sense now. I guess I don't have a crazy stalker yet.

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

Wizard of Smart posted:

A portal will not drop a key if you have one for it in your inventory. The only way to get more keys is to drop them or put them in a capsule.

I stand corrected! Thanks! I will start putting my capsules to work then.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mulli posted:

:wtc: what's wrong with ingress players

Somebody dropped dozens of media right outside my house. The time it would take to collect that much, and the fact that they seemed to know where I live, creeped me right out. Sometimes this game feels super stalkery.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

FabioClone posted:

Somebody dropped dozens of media right outside my house. The time it would take to collect that much, and the fact that they seemed to know where I live, creeped me right out. Sometimes this game feels super stalkery.

We've got a local player who collects Media, fills up a capsule, then drops it in an enemy area just for that brief second of excitement it generates when someone finds a capsule on the ground with 100 items in it before they realize how useless it is. On one hand that's a clever troll. On another hand that's a lot of effort for ONE loving SECOND of disappointment.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
It's more common to do that with useless keys.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

With MUFG capsules you could probably get a pretty good crop of media growing. Every time one fills up, switch them to a cap and drop it on some poor dick's home portal.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

When I'm attacking an enemy portal, is it better to attack the portal itself, or go after the individual resonators? Or does it make any difference?

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

If you're using Ultrastrikes and the portal you're attacking has mods, it's best to get on top of the portal itself in order to bust them. Otherwise, you should try to get closer to the resonators.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

During anomaly prep, we were told the optimal attacking location for a portal deployed at the maximum distance is to stand around 3/4 of the way out on one of the resonators' little link lines. I can't verify it but that's the supposed consensus.

An unshielded portal with level 6/7/8 bursters will go fast no matter what, generally.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I usually find the highest level resonators, stand between them and the portal, and let slip the dogs.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Check out the IPAS (ingress portal attack simulator) and you'll see the best places to stand (if you can reach them). I find the best spot is slightly inwards of a point directly between the largest resonator and whatever is next to it. Not 3/4s in, but like 7/8s.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

drewhead posted:

We've got a local player who collects Media, fills up a capsule, then drops it in an enemy area just for that brief second of excitement it generates when someone finds a capsule on the ground with 100 items in it before they realize how useless it is. On one hand that's a clever troll. On another hand that's a lot of effort for ONE loving SECOND of disappointment.

you seem to be unaware of the great lengths goons have gone to, just to goatse each other

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Capsules are useful as gently caress plz troll me with capsules tia

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

What do you think of the MUFG capsules? Some of the guys here are upset that they're not that awesome, because you have to keep your useful equipment in them to get more. This is how I spot people who have never used a savings account in their life. I guess these guys just assumed they'd never have to hack again?

I think they're awesome. Given that they're not consumable, I'll eventually have a shitton of them (six already) and just keep everything in them when not actively using it. Even ~1 free item per day per cap, which seems to be the average, is nothing to bitch about.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Javid posted:

What do you think of the MUFG capsules?

I don't think they are awesome. Better than regular capsules sure. Return rates are still higher in game by hacking. If you think about it they couldn't make them awesome. If they did the everyone would just load up on mule accounts and farm gear out of those. I presume that Niantic doesn't want that.

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

I received a MUFG about five days ago. I put one of each item I owned in it, to try and easily see which item duplicated by there being two of an item instead of one. So far nothing has happened.

Are duplication rates higher if I put more of an item in?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

The prevailing theory is that each capsule slot has the same chance to be copied, so more items means more dice rolls. I keep mine at 95 each for best results.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

I like MUFG capsules because now I can own more than one Very Rare Heatsink. :downs:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

MUFG capsules can apparently dupe very rare link amps. Considering the fact that Niantic haven't given them out for over a year and the Zipcar promo gets you one for $40, that's pretty huge.

They're also a great way to flood your inventory with ADA/Jarvis if you have a bunch to start.

FWIW, they can also dupe unique media.

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

Is the guardian medal for control of a single specific portal, or for owning a portal in general for a span of time?

I hit gold, and am now at 25 days and counting. If the medal is for a specific portal, I find it hard to believe that I have indeed held control for that long.

I only play at a few specific locations, and all portals that I come in contact with shift ownership quite regularly.

Again I find it hard to believe that there is some portal that I have owned for 25 days without me actively recharging, modding, or deploying more resonators to it.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Single portal, and you no longer have to have a resonator on it

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

Single portal, and you no longer have to have a resonator on it

Well that makes more sense. I guess some of my faction agents have done the upkeep then. Heres to them keeping it up for a long time to come!

And here is a MUFG update. After reading that each slot in the capsule has a chance to duplicate, I loaded it up to 80/100. Overnight it duplicated three items: a L6 XMP Burster, a rare Force Amp, and a rare Turret.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I have eight of the things now kept at 95 items each and each one gives me 0-3 items a night generally. Record was 4 AXA in a single night. Pretty productive, really.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Wow, a level 14 guy just rolled through my neighbourhood and completely destroyed all of my resonators and fields in about 15 min. Being level 4 sucks.

Are higher level portals with shields any easier to keep up? Or is it pretty much "If somebody wants to take it down, it will go down"?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

If someone really wants to take down a particular portal, given enough time/supplies/accuracy it will come down. All you can do really is throw enough mods up that they waste resources or time and decide it's really not worth it and move on.

Best strategy is to throw up as many portals as you can, even if it's low-level resonators. Chances are, nobody will take out more than one or two of those, so you can just keep building. I made a fortress in a blue area that way when I was a low-level player, then I expanded it and now the area around my house is barely challenged.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

The Zombie Guy posted:

Wow, a level 14 guy just rolled through my neighbourhood and completely destroyed all of my resonators and fields in about 15 min. Being level 4 sucks.

Being lvl4 does indeed suck. But if it weren't for other players rolling through and destroying stuff you'd be at lvl4 a lot longer. Get out there and take it all back so you gain the AP and level up.

Brawnfire posted:

now the area around my house is barely challenged.

Boring! Seriously, stagnation is the worst thing that can happen to the game. That's certainly not your fault for building your blue fortress ('sub blue buddy) but without opposing players coming through and smashing there is nothing to do. The game would just be waiting a week for portals to go grey and rebuild. The game is designed to be a back and forth affair. If that breaks down it just plain sucks. Each team needs the other.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Sorry, it was a blue-dominated area, I'm Enlightened so I was actually building a tiny green fortress.

Now I have a big green castle that I sally forth and assault the smurfs from. Not stagnation so much as fiercely defending my territory.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

The smurfs in my area have surged forth in a coordinated effort, turning lots of portals blue and leaving them at low levels, making gear hard to come by. I'm feeling the squeeze

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

This game sounds pretty neat, so is there a specific side I should pick or just whichever seems better in my area?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Deeters posted:

This game sounds pretty neat, so is there a specific side I should pick or just whichever seems better in my area?

Pick the underdog for your area, you'll never lack for portals to attack then. It gets kind of boring when your entire area is your team, uncontested.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

How's Ingress for smartwatches? Does it log distance points for the Trekker achievement?

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

I'm not sure if it tracks distance or not, but you basically don't want to use it long enough to find out, because it will drain your watch in nothing flat.

I've found it's best for a quick hack or two while driving (and even then only in slow traffic or while stopped - keep your eyes on the road!).

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Delicious frog tears
Anchors were an hanger at an AFB, Nuclear plant, Secure Power company offices.
Not actually my doing, but one of my recruits doing so I'm claiming partial credit. That and I HAVE NO HONOR!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

How do they know the player didn't have clearance to get into the area? Or are they mad that they can't get in too?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Abusing security clearance to make an untouchable anchor is pretty bullshit.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

As long as something is allowed by the rules, I'm cool with it. I dislike the meta-culture that develops around games, it leads to whiny breakdowns and people having arguments about a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Be careful he might call the CIA on you.

• Locked thread