Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

The single most important thing to do: bind a key for acrobatic smoke.

Edit: vvvvvv didn't realize they added a default binding then. New single most important thing: change your smokes color to something obnoxious.

Artless Meat fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Elendil004 posted:

So with replays, is there a good way to capture video? Seems like you can't step backwards, so you have to FF to where you think the action is, pre-plan a good camera angle because it seems like switching on the fly is cumbersome and hope you capture it?

I ask because I'm pretty sure I dealt the killing blow to a PBY by aileron rolling over the top and knocking his prop off with my wingtip and surviving...but I am not sure and if it's true I'd like a gif or video of that because it was pretty boss.

MSI afterburner is pretty good for recording off replays, and yeah, you pretty much have to find exactly when it happens, and get all set up.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Thief posted:

I have to turn my steering wheel 90 degrees counter-clockwise and then honk the horn to shoot my rockets.

For me it's strum twice and hold the orange button.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Perestroika posted:

Is it just me or are ground units behaving super eratically recently? A few weeks ago they used to just go along the road in neat lines, but now they're crossing back and forth over it like it isn't even there, and at times they even seem to hit the reverse. Not to mention all those times they just randomly vanish into thin air even when there's nothing nearby that could have shot them. It makes high-altitude bombing even more of a pain than it already is.

On one map I know they disappear under ground randomly, popping back up later. I think it's the top of the world map.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

In regards to random unit destruction, it seems to be on a timer so that the matches will end in some reasonable time frame. It's especially noticeable on maps that have battleships or carriers because they will start randomly exploding when they're the only units left on the field.

I've noticed that a couple times (especially on fjords) with destroyers I was about to bomb later in the game. I always assumed someone else beat me to them, and wondered why the explosion was so small.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Thief posted:

I tried the in-game Twitch streaming thing. It's pretty lovely but I guess it's good that it's an easy option to use.

Did you mess with the quality at all? I can stream 720 with the slider nearly full without taking a framerate hit.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

This, combined with pink smoke tends to get pubbies to chase you. Especially after you one shot them with your 37mm.

Artless Meat fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 9, 2013

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

I'm thinking they might rescale the ships when they release/work on the player ships. I doubt they'd fix them on some maps tho. The little bay the carriers are in on pearl harbor is probably way too small. Also aren't the tanks too small too?

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Roumba posted:

Why are those off by a huge amount from the 'Air targets destroyed' and 'Ground targets destroyed' just above them?

I believe the bottom is just the last month.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Skwee posted:

the top is showing all battles I think and the bottom has 3 separate rows, the only one you can see is the arcade battles row

The top 3 columns are divided up by gameplay type too. Also I didn't even notice the check box on last month, stupid phone

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Rhopunzel posted:

So are the plane/ship/tank modes going to be tied together, or will they always be separate? Will I ever be able to strafe players in tanks, or is this game just going to be World of Plane/Tanks/Warships existing individually in the same game?

Pretty sure they said they would have various combinations of the 3, including all 3 at once.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

nippythefish posted:

Au contraire, his hat matched his douchiness perfectly. :smuggo:

I had to skip forward to that match after Michi's match in the beginning. I'm amazed that anyone wants to stick around with him with his constant "who said that?----banned!" bullshit.

But you see, then they might wind up in his steam and also be e-famous.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Thief posted:

In my opinion, the Russian tree is the most forgiving and newbie/casual friendly. :commissar:

I'm going to agree with this :ussr:. Their planes handle pretty good, are rather durable, and get cannons pretty early.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Drink responsibly, with a squad of other drunk goons.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Skwee posted:

I for one have spent over 100 on a ftp game because i was drunk and having fun. (World of Tanks, 50 on gold and 50 on a tank)

So I would follow this advice, don't buy poo poo while drunk

Thats how I wound up with my XP-55. At least its awesome and Crimson-Skiesy.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

I've started using landing flaps during turns and it's simply amazing. Sure you might be close to stall speed occasionally but there's no better way to make a nice set of pilot kills in a IL-2 than with landing flaps.

I love when people go head to head with my IL-2, its like they aren't expecting the cannons or something :ussr:

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

randombattle posted:

So as I rank up do I want to use older planes to keep getting xp or should I always be replacing my planes with the latest and greatest models?

Whatever's more fun to you. The higher tier planes usually have a higher reward percentage though.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Plus matches take longer to find, and are often only half the people in them.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

jownzy posted:

It's nice to see some more american jets but they aren't doing anything to help you earn them.
It'll be nice when they add more planes between 12-20 for the US. Also I wonder what tier the B-25 with the 75mm cannon will be.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Nissir posted:

I might hav totaly missed this fact, but is this game live or in beta still?

Technically still beta, but they've said they're won't be any wipes.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

Why does Japan get zero love in this patch?

Because the game was lacking in LaGG-3s and La-5s.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

I had a foggy match on gorge earlier. It was probably the most intense game I've had so far. I wish it popped up more often now.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

SaltLick posted:

The most important part of the new patch has yet to be answered. Is the P-38 still garbage?

If I'm reading the notes right, it shouldn't be.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Most people just stayed up here dogfighting

Getting below the clouds was risky, mountains came out of nowhere

Once you finally broke through the fog, all the ground targets were all yours

Until you went too far on that path along the right side of the map.

At the end, I wound up with 4 kills and 20 something ground targets destroyed, because hardly anyone went below the clouds. I kinda cheated with my bomb sight and would alter my course when it started climbing up a mountain.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Insert name here posted:

Hahahaha Tiny Tims yessssssss

:getin:

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I'm a bit lost on this--do you just drop the bombs on the runway?

Yup. I generally try to hit near the marker but I'm pretty sure as long as it hits the runway it's good. It's fun carpeting the whole thing with a B-17.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Maxing my most often flown planes won't cost that much, but it's a lot of little boxes to click on, ugh. Fwp.

Map on second monitor is awesome though.

Yeah, I thought that little check box next to the lion amount was for quickly buying multiple upgrades at once, instead it's apparently just another button to buy that upgrade :gaijin:

Edit: did the tiny tim not make it in?I didn't see it on any of the planes that would have carried it

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

El Disco posted:

They seem to have greatly increased the overheating on some guns. My Typhoon Ib's cannons jam after a little over a second, and that's with all the upgrades.

I'm at work so I can't check, but didn't they replace a skill with "weapon maintenance"? Maybe that has something to do with it.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

There seems to be a Rocket Activation distance now, but im not sure if the first patch added that or not.

Edit: Keep getting dropped from games, guess I'm not playing tonight.
Edit2: Another 355mb patch apparently

Artless Meat fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 8, 2013

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

They added 2 more P-51s, a rank 13 and a gift, and moved Wellingtons to their own tree now.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

El Disco posted:

Same here, and the premium list for me consists of Rasmussen's plane, the XP-38, and the A-26. I didn't even get to download a patch. :confused:

Weird, last night there was the P-51D-20NA and P-51D-25, but now they're gone:iiam:

E:

Bolow posted:

It has the same selection as if there were multiple variants, except there's no variants to select :tinfoil:

Yeah, the D-25s icon under the multiple selection was bugged and just a big red square, but the plane itself was in the game.

Artless Meat fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 8, 2013

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

The gun pods for the 109s are insane. My f4s can shred almost anything with a quick burst, and I don't see any downside to taking them, at least in arcade.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Anyone know what these things are on the BTD? They open up below 50% throttle. I figured they were something to do with exhaust or heat while its not moving.

Also this plane has the best airbrakes.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Filthy scum posted:

It's the cowl flaps.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_engine_controls#Cowl

I had never noticed them on any planes until I saw that one, and now I can't stop seeing them on others.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Quickpull posted:

So I've been playing for a couple weeks now, and there's one thing I don't understand. Why is the reward for destroying ground targets so low compared to dogfighting? I just had a game in my Ju88 where I rained down hell like crazy, giving us an easy win, yet I was almost at the bottom of the leader board at the end. I can regularly top the board if I go after other planes, but then we lose half the time. Whats the logic behind not rewarding people for pursuing the objective of the game?

They nerfed the hell out of bomb splash damage and bombing rewards 2 or 3 patches ago.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Vahakyla posted:

A b29 and a b36 side-by-side. Remember, the B17 was a little smaller than the B29.

The B-36 could also carry about 4 times the bomb load of the B-29. It also had tracked landing gear (like a tank) and the air force fit one with a nuclear reactor.

Artless Meat fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 10, 2013

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Rhopunzel posted:

Finally snapped in arcade. Some idiot stole my kill at the last second in a Hellcat so I TKed him. He must have been squadded or something because random people started killing me while he bitched and whined in chat about how I'm a "noob" when his sole kill was from one he stole. They kept killing me so I just made it my mission that match to TK him as much as possible because it was funny. I'll see you guys later if I get banned :(

You'll be fine. One dude shot me down right at the beginning of a match because he thought I was trying to shoot HugheAsshole(sp?) down, but I was just showing him the typhoons kicking rad tracer belt lasers. I spent the rest of the match shooting him down or stealing his kills whenever I could. Also, if you get 3 TKs, it kicks you from a match. I wasn't trying to kill anyone when I learned that.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

AlphaDog posted:

How recent is that? I'm sure it wasn't in 1.29 because I'd regularly accidentally get 3+ TKs spraying APIT rounds all over the sky in rank 1 matches.

I seem to remember a dev post (that I now can't find) saying that you'd have to get some ridiculous number of TKs for them to think about banning you, like 20+ in a day or 50+ in a three day period or something huge like that.

It happened to me in this most recent patch. It may have been 4, because pubbies kept accidentally flying in front of my kingcobras. I was in a group with goons and thought our match was over already, then I heard them still flying.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Generation Internet posted:

Oh man, I just unlocked the first F8F and it's pretty awesome, I love the sound the M3 machine guns make.

The new hispano cannon sound is pretty great too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

ughhhh posted:

that page led me to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polikarpov_Po-2

i need this plane. It is already sort of possible to do with the I-16 or the Chaika if your opponents turn fight with you and they stall out. ,

I'm imagining sideshow Bob's escape on the Wright brothers plane now. Also by the time it's replacement came out, we were ready for it.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-2

wikipedia posted:

On January 12, 1968, a clandestine TACAN site (call sign: Laos Site 85/Phou Pha Ti) installed by Special Forces (United States Army) in Northern Laos for directing USAF warplanes flying from Thailand toVietnam was attacked by two North Vietnamese An-2s using machine guns fired from the cabin, rockets, and hand thrown grenades. A third An-2 orbited overhead. An Air America Bell UH-1B, XW-PHF, resupplying the site chased the two attacking aircraft. By using an AK-47 the American crew (Ted Moore Captain, Glen Wood kicker) succeeded in shooting down one of the An-2s while the second aircraft was forced down by combined ground and air fire and crashed into a mountain. The surviving Antonov returned to its home base, Gia Lam, near Hanoi.

Artless Meat fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 16, 2013

• Locked thread