Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Wildtortilla posted:

Holy poo poo that sounds huge. Seems like it's possible to quickly become over powered early in the game if you put in some time building up and retiring heroes.

Believe me when I say that you can still splat easily even if you start with 15 levels' worth of skills and stats in the 30s across the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Believe me when I say that you can still splat easily even if you start with 15 levels' worth of skills and stats in the 30s across the board.

“I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder … Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that.”

– Capt. E.J. Smith, RMS Titanic

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Oh wait I misread the teaching skills thing, level 10+ heroes return as a ghost to teach?! There's no point in retiring at level 10+ eh? I guess if you want to preserve gear in the armory instead of dying and losing your poo poo would validate retirements.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah if you're killed, your gear is out there instead of getting stuffed in a vault or melted down. Also being dead.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I'm glad I retired my first ever level 10. She teaches one of the Bannermans banners. I can't remember which of the two it is since I haven't played for a bit. That skill is useful on every single character, though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My first ghost teaches Telekinesis, insanely useful to have a swarm of blades that cause bleeding and exploding towers of armr.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I generated another fuckload of sprites, this time from Elminage. Genders assigned at random. :v:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7FVrpffUN40RlJKaHRraDJOQ0E

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Aug 9, 2017

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Do my AOE spells damage me? I'm wondering if I can drop the meteor spell on my head if I ever find myself swarmed by enemies.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Wildtortilla posted:

Do my AOE spells damage me? I'm wondering if I can drop the meteor spell on my head if I ever find myself swarmed by enemies.
Do not do this.

Synthbuttrange posted:

I generated another fuckload of sprites, this time from Elminage. Genders assigned at random. :v:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7FVrpffUN40RlJKaHRraDJOQ0E
Outfuckingstanding, thank you.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Wildtortilla posted:

The number of mans I've lost by doing this is higher than 0, so do not do this thing.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

The number of mans I've lost by doing this is higher than 0, so do not do this thing.

The correct answer is not to use loving meteor.

Both times I've used it I have ended up getting thrown or pulled into the radius and killed by my own spell.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Caros posted:

The correct answer is not to use loving meteor.

Both times I've used it I have ended up getting thrown or pulled into the radius and killed by my own spell.
One day I'll add a Meteor Hat that does something like break the damage from your own meteor into 10% / round for 12 rounds.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

madjackmcmad posted:

One day I'll add a Meteor Hat that does something like break the damage from your own meteor into 10% / round for 12 rounds.

How about a very pointy hat which splits the meteor into smaller meteorites that hit your tile over the next 12 rounds? Bonus points if you can trick them with Decoy or switch places with enemies and have them take the damage.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
A trampoline hat that delays the meteor for one round at the cost of dealing 20% damage to you due to spinal compression.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
The Meatier Hat. Casting meteors gives you an effect that reduces the damage you do to yourself (by any means).

It's a Meat Shield.

Prism fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 10, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've been bemoaning the lack of starshards to cosmically upgrade my gear. Then I wondered, will a challenge scroll upgrade regular champions too, to the point where they'll drop these?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
That can't possibly go wrong!

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
Just recently started playing Dungeonmans and I'm having a hell of a time, this game is absolutely fantastic! I wish I'd gotten it sooner.

A few rangermans bugs I noticed:

-The last skill in the Iron Marksman mastery says 'Pinimizer' before you put a point in it, but changes to 'Venomizer' after you put a point in it, thought the skill does pin instead of poison as intended.

-The damage values in the description for Power Drive rapidly change before you put a point in it, and stays static afterwards. Maybe related to the above bug?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Both skills got tweaked recently!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I picked up Grademooks at level 11 and I feel unstoppable. I've had 20+ mooks working for me at a time and it's insane. Sure turns take away, but nothing gets to me while my skeleton crew does work.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My world map goes from adventurous locations straight to legendary locations. I just want some dangerous dungeons, game!

Also is there a way to pass on gold to future dungeonmans? I have nearly 2k and just picked up a talent book for a skill line I have maxed. That's going to sell for a ton of gold and I don't know what to do with all this gold besides but potions and scrolls!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a) iirc books dont sell for much actually and b) your next dmans will have the same glut of gold swiftly enough, just donate it to the library

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Oh I hadn't considered skill bold could go to the library.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Wildtortilla posted:

Oh I hadn't considered skill bold could go to the library.

Madjack, can I request a rare monster, the Skillbold? Drops a skillbook, but has a large selection of player talents.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

John Lee posted:

Madjack, can I request a rare monster, the Skillbold? Drops a skillbook, but has a large selection of player talents.

:same:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Schoolbold?

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
Knowbold

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

John Lee posted:

Yeeeeaaaaa! It's a Skillbold the Scrobold. It has access to the same skills the player has chosen.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Scrobold Schrolar

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

I've been playing a ton of ToMe4 and have wanted to branch out to a few other roguelikes. How does this game compare?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Dungeonmans doesn't have the sprawling scope, incredibly detailed lore, or billions of insanely detailed stats, skills, items, and classes of ToME, but it's generally much better balanced, less prone to needless bloat, and carefully designed such that there are no insanely long stretches of effortless autopilot chaff-smashing (looking at you, entire ToME4 midgame). It's also funny, charming, and pretty, as well as having great music.

I love ToME4 but I'm pretty comfortable calling Dungeonmans a flat-out better game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

nearly killed em! posted:

I've been playing a ton of ToMe4 and have wanted to branch out to a few other roguelikes. How does this game compare?

ToME4 has a lot of stuff: lots of classes to play as, lots of monsters to kill, lots of environments to explore, lots of items to get, etc. Most roguelikes are more pared-down (though I gather that Elona is even bigger) and most roguelikes also have fewer chaff enemies to kill. It's a good game and a pretty good introduction to the genre, though.

One of the nice things about the roguelike genre is that the things that roguelikes have in common are not at all restrictive about what roguelikes are like to play. DoomRL (a game about blasting apart demons) plays very differently from Sil (a game about sneaking into Morgoth's iron halls to steal a Silmaril), despite the two of them both being highly-regarded entries in the genre. That does unfortunately mean that just because you like one roguelike doesn't necessarily mean you'll like others. It depends on what draws you to that roguelike.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I found a spire kinda place tonight that was a bid circular path that led me to a boss. He told me the inner doors were open when he died. There dungeon was adventurous difficulty until I find the center area with a spiked floor at which point the difficulty went to heroic. I poked my way in a bit and the mobs in this area have about 2x the hp as the first part, but I played smart and things were fine. I'm planning on seeing it through despite having a bad feeling!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

RIP thy dungeonmans

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Last dungeonman loss: Cat stepped on my computer's power cable, popping the plug off the wall.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

Last dungeonman loss: Cat stepped on my computer's power cable, popping the plug off the wall.

are you sure your cat isn't a triger in disguise?

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
Dammit! Killing the orc boss of an adventure map crypt makes my game crash every time without fail, just as the loot is about to drop. No enchants for me..

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Redistribution of Health description is lying about it being perfectly safe to use on undead! :cry:

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Catpain Slack posted:

Dammit! Killing the orc boss of an adventure map crypt makes my game crash every time without fail, just as the loot is about to drop. No enchants for me..

I can help! Go to the discord and drop your save in the save clinic, help mr figure out what I screwed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Synthbuttrange posted:

The Redistribution of Health description is lying about it being perfectly safe to use on undead! :cry:

Never trust magic mans. Especially Necromansers.

• Locked thread