Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Adnar posted:

This process seems to work for pretty much all Star Alliance routes, the business class legs are really cheap (about 50% more points than econ usually) so might be worth a look even if you're not going to S America.

Are other Star Alliance carriers like Air Canada in that they won't actually offer business class tickets on long flights through the frequent flyer program? I always get offered economy on my 9 hour segment, and then (for example) business class on a two-hour connection within Europe, all for basically twice the points as booking economy on all segments. Uh, no thank you Air Canada, please go gently caress yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm guessing he is referring to Austin, given it's the US Australian Rules Football championship.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

dexter6 posted:

Trying to fly to india for a wedding...

Departing Washington DC. Need to be in Kolkata, India for a wedding starting noon March 9, 2016 through 3pm on March 11, 2016. I would like to fly business class to and from India. If there is an airline I can fly a B747, that would be cool because I've never flown one. I have American Airlines miles to use

While in india, I would like to do 1-2 day visit to Delhi (long enough for the day trip to Taj and Ft. Agra), Goa and Chennai (on a saturday night) (either before or after the wedding).

Qatar Airways is in the oneworld alliance, so you should be able to use AA miles, and you can do Washington-Kolkata with a single layover. The other one-stop option is Emirates, but you probably won't be able to use your miles. None of those fly the 747, unfortunately. You could try British Airways to use your miles and possibly get on a 747, but it will probably involve changing planes in India in addition to London. Lufthansa is another big operator of the 747, so you could try an itinerary with them, but I doubt you could do any part of that with AA miles.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Yeah and that return one way will be three times more expensive.

Not necessarily. I priced out YYC-MAD connecting through London, and BA had flights for under $1000 including all taxes and fees ($1400 for Premium Economy round-trip). I think it would be well within reason for an LCC like WestJet or Air Transat to be able to offer YYZ-LGW for that price.

The only real problem with WestJet is that it sucks unless you want to end in London, because they haven't set up any codeshares in Europe yet.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Pinkie posted:

Yeah wow- That is an incredible price. Even if it means flying AC Rouge.

Thanks for all the recommendations!

You couldn't loving pay me $800 to fly overseas on loving AC Rouge.

Don't book it. By doing so, you'll validate AC's decision to make flying as unpleasant as humanly possible without breaking any laws, and the rest of us will suffer for it. I don't care when LCCs do it, because I can ignore them, but as Rouge grows, it's starting to become the only option on some routes that were previously served by normal, mainline AC aircraft, and it's horrible.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Pardon my ignorance but what's AC Rouge? Some LCC bullshit conceived by Air Canada?

That's basically it, yeah. It's aimed at the "leisure travel" market, which apparently finds 29-inch seat pitch to be tolerable if they can save $20. I don't have a problem with such a product being available, but I hate that it's now the only option on some routes. I hate beginning and ending my vacations with a hellish airline experience.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jeoh posted:

29" seat itch? Even loving RyanAir has 30".

Yes!

The A319: http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air_Canada/Air_Canada_Rouge_A319_Premium.php

The 767, which would be used for routes over 6 hours, has the luxurious 30" pitch in economy: http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air_Canada/Air_Canada_Rouge_Boeing_767-300ER_new.php

HookShot posted:

Also they didn't actually make it low cost, the prices on all the routes that run rouge are the same as they used to be, they just now run shittier airplanes to them.

This is also very true.

TL;DR: gently caress Air Canada sideways. Flying BA/IB to Europe last year certainly was an eye-opener... Even the Business Class lounge in Heathrow T5 (or Madrid T4) made Air Canada's flagship lounge in Toronto look like a shabby shithole with terrible food and terrible wine. BA and IB both had very decent wine selections on the ground and in the air; for some reason, Air Canada never has, even in Business Class. But I digress...

PT6A fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 26, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Not strictly low-fare related but: be very wary of Air Canada. In addition to the aforementioned Rouge fuckery, they just subbed an A321 on a route that was supposed to be operated by a 767. My folks paid full business class fare for a flat bed and now they get a narrow-body recliner chair instead.

Never, ever loving trust Air Canada. Choose literally any other airline instead, because AC will literally conjure new ways to gently caress you over and make your life unpleasant. I wouldn't believe it myself except it happens every time I or anyone I know has the displeasure of flying with them.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Man, I would have never thought Air Canada was as bad or worse than the US domestic carriers.

They're claiming it was a maintenance issue, but the flight crew had 24 hours notice and it was flying out of Toronto, so I really doubt they couldn't have found another 767. As far as we can tell, no one got bumped off the flight even though the A321 is smaller, and it's not the first time this week an A321 has been subbed onto that flight according to the online flight history.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Whip Slagcheek posted:

What route was it out of curiosity? I'd be mad as hell if I paid for a bed on a cross-ocean flight and ended up in a recliner.

YYZ-YYC (4.5 hours, leaving at 9PM). Either way, they picked that specific flight (as I'm sure most other people did) specifically because it was going to be operated by a 767 with flat beds.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

dexter6 posted:

Any OSO/IROPS/IRROPS experts in here?

I posted this on FlyerTalk but didn't get a reply. Should I try to petition AA for more than $300 compensation? And was it true that they can't book me on any of the numerous Jet Blue openings because they 'don't have a relationship with them'?

==========

It seems like I've got really bad luck. My flights have been canceled (two in a row now) and my only options they're giving me are to continue to wait more days. They offered a measly $300 voucher and said that's all they could do.

Any sense of how hard it would be to be reimbursed through corporate for any of the following:
* Cab fair to much further airport?
* Additional reimbursement for canceling and rebooking on non partner airline (Jet Blue can get me home today, plenty of options)
* Higher than $300 voucher for making me 3 days late to my destination?

I'd hate to make some extreme changes just to get home and if there is no chance of me getting reimbursed, and I figure the experts could weigh in here.

More details:

original flight was PBI -> DCA arriving 1/1 @10pm. This was canceled - mechanical.
rebooked on PBI -> DCA arriving 1/2 @ 7am. This was canceled - mechanical.
rebooked on MIA -> DCA arriving 1/3 @ 11pm. *crossing my fingers on this one*

It's a long-shot, but check your credit card policies. Some credit cards offer travel insurance to cover additional costs from issues like this, provided you used the credit card to book the tickets.

Other than that, I'm not sure.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mackieman posted:

Norwegian was perfectly fine for SXM-OSL. LIS is a bit further, but paying for the exit row takes care of most discomfort.

I think you'll find you're mistaken about this. There's literally an ocean between them.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

In a few weeks, I'm going to fly for the first time since 9/11 (god that feels weird to say). I googled for some tips but some of it doesn't apply or is a bit outdated. It's just going to be my ugly self and some clothes. I can't really move the days or airports, so I'm not going bargain hunting. My questions are:

1: How early should I arrive to a flight after work on a Friday?
2: Anyone used mobile apps for boarding passes before? American offers that as an option. Is it just a QR code they scan or something?

It's less of an issue with Android Wallet or Apple Wallet or whatever instead of e-mail for mobile boarding passes, but it could still theoretically happen, so: it's a real flaming bastard when you accidentally delete the boarding pass between security and the gate. I recovered it, luckily, but it was a good minute or two of freaking out.

You didn't ask this, but I'll mention it anyway since I tried it for novelty's sake: Apple Watch boarding passes are not good, because, among other problems, some readers don't have enough space for you to put your wrist underneath. Stick with the phone.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mackieman posted:

Two hours should be plenty. And the only time I don't use a mobile boarding pass is on international flights where there is no option for doing so since the airline has to check your passport or visa or whatever. Mobile boarding passes are very common especially amongst frequent travelers.

Is this an issue? All the international flights I've taken just do a document check when you check your luggage, or call you up prior to boarding to verify your documents (which they still do if you check in at the airport, because no one actually employs check-in agents for anyone but business class passengers). Excepting Cuba, where Internet is really limited, I haven't been on a flight that didn't allow a mobile boarding pass in ages.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I don't know about CRAZY deals, but Google Flights will now do general searches using an origin and a non-specific destination like "Europe" or "France" or something like that, and display the cheapest flights for you. This doesn't take into account any airline-specific frequent flyer programs, though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Ryand-Smith posted:

Question about a flight to Canada. Looking to go from Norfolk/Newport News (potentially willing to deal with Richmond), fly in on the 26th of May, fly back on May 29) to Toronto. I see 355 pre tax as the cheapest, and then 377. Are those reasonable fares for a transfer flight to Toronto?

Canadians who live near the border are known to drive across the border to the nearest American airport to save money when travelling in the US. Make of that what you will.

I have no particular experience with that route, but it seems like a reasonable fare to me.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Worth noting is that AA has a "gently caress you" policy toward business class customers that aren't travelling overseas, in the form of denying them lounge access. That surprised me when I flew with them, especially considering lounge access is one of my favourite business class perks (right below lie-flat beds on overseas flights).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Yeah the first time that happened to me it blew my mind. gently caress AA. If I'm stuck flying a domestic carrier I generally go with Delta.

I've heard United does the same thing with domestic flights, but at least they aren't so delusional that an itinerary involving a Canadian city is considered "domestic."

gently caress AA.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

sellouts posted:

Also lol at the people upset they can't access an AA domestic lounge. The last thing those decrepit things need is an additional 10 people taking advantage of a 359 promotional biz class one way to Zacatecas or whatever international destination is closer that a midcon. The lounges are plenty crappy/full without you and you'll be fine without your expired snack mix and free pours of a single lovely domestic beer.

Seriously though, if someone hangs their hat on flying a bunch of short to mid range international flights and is springing for biz class, just pay for the drat lounge access. You are missing nothing but if that free wifi really makes or breaks your productivity for the day and you can't use LTE the cost is probably worth it.

These would be great points if other airlines all over the world did something similar, but oddly enough they manage to provide lounge access to all business class travellers -- even domestic!

When you're honestly being worse than Air Canada, which provides lounge access to all business class passengers, you really, really need to take your head out of your rear end. If you're not providing amenities like lounge access, you really should be marketing that fare as premium economy, not business class.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

sellouts posted:

lol

premium economy over business because of lounge access, got it. a reasonable statement given the laundry list of problems with premium cabins domestically.

have y'all started a thread on flyer talk about the need for lounge access to prep for that <5 hour flight to costa rica? i heard the airlines read them!!!!

I haven't flown a premium economy cabin domestically in the US, but I have with AA's partners in OneWorld, as I have in business class both short haul and long haul, paid for with my own money in all cases. Forgive me if I expect American Airlines (small a and big a both applicable in this case) to do at least as well as Iberia, an airline based in a country with a horrible economic crisis which also faces incredibly strong competition from LCCs.

Frankly, it seems to me like you have an attitude problem.

To make this post more germane to the discussion of finding good value in airfares: I'm merely pointing out that not all business classes are created equal, and this should be taken into account when booking tickets and comparing prices. AA business class compares more closely to WestJet premium economy than any other business class flight I've ever taken, either short-haul or long-haul, which is why I made the comparison. What additional services/benefits does AA's business class offer?

PT6A fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 15, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Geriatric Pirate posted:

lol you're more than welcome to come here to Europe and to fly business here with 30 inch seat pitch for your 3/4 hour flight from LHR to ATH. I'd so happily trade away those 30 minutes in Galleries Club for a proper business class seat.

Iberia gives extra legroom in Business, they're the only ones I've flown with Europe. I guess, and I never thought I'd say this, I've been spoiled with Air Canada and WestJet. Who would've guessed?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Geriatric Pirate posted:

In short haul business (excl. a few routes where they fly a widebody or equipment swaps for their Africa A319s), they do not, unless you count 33 inches instead of 31 as being extra legroom

You know what? Oddly enough I do count "extra legroom" as "extra legroom." I also enjoy no possibility of being in a middle seat, and having no one sitting directly beside me. 33 vs 31 inches means the difference between being unable to fit comfortably (having to fold my legs underneath my seat and/or having my knees jammed into the seat in front of me), and just not having much room, so it actually makes a huge difference to me.

And, yeah, being able to kill time in a nice lounge chair with a glass or two of wine is a huge perk on a layover, especially if I had to get up especially early for the flight or if I'm connecting from a red-eye. Perhaps other people prefer business class for other reasons, but lounge access (including the complementary left-luggage service, if offered) is a big deal for me.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

sellouts posted:

Have you been in an Admirals club recently, especially one that serves the routes you're talking about? It's dreadful. Even DFW's D terminal is just so sterile. Why you wouldn't go to a finer establishment and get a real glass of wine and a real snack of something possibly nutritious is beyond me but I guess my standards are just different.

If it really grinds your gears that much just buy a day pass. Compare the price and service with that additional charge to competition and if the ticket is cheaper and more convenient elsewhere with lounge access included, go get em. Because you're a big boy and you PAY for tickets with your OWN money you can vote with your wallet!!

I just don't see ~$90 or 100 for the 2x access to the lounge being a big percentage of a ticket. And if it is, see my previous point about bargain "business" fares vs the long hauls that are priced accordingly.

1. I haven't been in an Admiral's Club, for the exact reason that I brought up at the beginning of this discussion. I've never been on an itinerary that American considers "international" despite one or more of the cities involved not being located in the US.

2. To use my last trip through Heathrow as an example, I was flying business class one way, and premium economy the other way. Spending the layover in the Galleries lounge was way, way, way better than sitting around the bar in the terminal. If the AA lounges are so bad that this is not the case, it's just another reason why American is a garbage airline to be avoided.

3. I do vote with my wallet, by not flying American unless it's absolutely necessary. At the beginning of this discussion, I was letting other posters know about their disagreeable policy so they could make an informed choice and do the same.

4. It's for 4x access to the lounge, assuming you have a single connection, which I most often do when I'm flying internationally. Sometimes I even have two connections in the same trip, as shocking as that may be, in which case it would be 6 separate lounge accesses!

5. Which airline are you talking about where you get "a poo poo pastry" in business class, or even premium economy? I don't want to fly that airline. WestJet's food service is brutal, and it's still better than that in premium economy. And they're a full-on LCC!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

sellouts posted:

All being said, as someone who pays for J long haul I'm happy that the lounge isn't further overcrowded by short haul regional business class fares and as someone who also flys those routes i can pick a spot to post up in most airports that is more enjoyable.

How come United can treat Canada as an international destination without overcrowding their lounges, then? My point is that AA is denying a service I expected to receive as a part of a business class ticket on the basis of a very odd definition of "international," and someone who's considering purchasing an AA business class fare should be aware of it. It's certainly AA's choice to implement whatever policy they like, as it's my choice to avoid flying them as a result, and it's your choice to fly them long-haul to avoid the gangs of Canadians who would crowd the United lounges with their inferior, short-haul fares.

I don't know why you're so upset that I'm surprised AA doesn't provide a service to its business class travellers that every other airline I've flown does. Most of my flying is done outside the US, so what may seem obvious to you based on "common practice" is, in fact, foreign to the rest of us. Unlike the distinction between North American and European business class, which is made quite obvious during the booking process, this variation in standards between countries and even individual airlines is not obvious, so I don't think there's a problem with informing people, like myself, who might not be aware.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Pieces posted:

Looking to book in June for a 2.5 week trip from Calgary to Europe (multi-flight).

Flying YYC -> BUD (1 stopover)
and AMS -> YYC (Direct)

Saw it as low as $1250, spiked up to ~$1450 and back down to around ~$1262. About 10 weeks away - best just to hop on it? Was hoping for a little bit of a dip but I'm pretty happy with that price. Used to paying a little less but I haven't flown to Europe in the summertime in many years.

I'm guessing you're flying KLM? That's the best price I've seen this year, so I'd go for it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Pieces posted:

Yeah KLM. Delta kept giving me the 'price has changed on this flight' message so I booked it at $1350. Good enough - I'd rather fly KLM direct anyday over Air Canada with stopovers at Pearson for a few hundred.

If you're not flying directly to or from Amsterdam, I find that British Airways generally has the best prices out of Calgary, and their in-flight service is really good. Changing in Heathrow is also pretty easy, provided that you're flying BA the whole way. I checked BA for the general dates you mentioned, and I got $1380 round-trip, for example. I got $1480 round-trip to Madrid in May, in Premium Economy. I think regular economy would've been something like $900 or $950.

Obviously having a direct flight is better, but it's something to keep in mind if you're not beginning or ending your trip in Amsterdam in the future. Agreed 100% on the "gently caress Air Canada and gently caress Pearson" sentiment, although generally their European itineraries out of Calgary will route you through Frankfurt instead of Pearson (which is really just a different corner of hell).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Whip Slagcheek posted:

That's if he's coming from the west coast, if he's coming from the east coast I think it's about even.

I can't speak for HookShot, but I totally read SEA as Seattle, not Southeast Asia...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I highly doubt they will split you up, especially with children. Call United and explain your situation and they should figure something out.

My guess is they make money by charging for advance seat selection, so I doubt they'll do it for free (but I likewise doubt it's completely unavailable). If it's something you want, you should factor the extra fee into the cost of the tickets.

(Mind you, I think all airlines keep some seats reserved for families travelling with kids and such, so you might be able to get it free by asking nicely and explaining the situation -- I can't say, because I've not been in that situation, I've only seen the phantom "reserved seats")

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

HookShot posted:

Hahahaha at least 9/11 didn't make my mom any worse than she is now, but yeah this was my childhood too.

I maintain it's probably part of the reason that on multiple occasions I've cut it so fine that I've been on the list of people allowed to skip the entire line at security so they can make their flights. TAKE THAT MOM.

My mom is like this too, and I've inherited it to some degree (I also like layovers with plenty of time for fuckups to occur and be handled without me missing my flight), which is one of the reason why I am ANGRY ABOUT LOUNGES so much. My Dad, on the other hand, hates waiting at the airport, so he and my mom constantly drive each other completely loving mad and I can't travel with both of them together any more, because it drives me nuts.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I think I'll just buy the LAX fare first since that's the hard deadline and I know exactly when I'm arriving (just not where I'm leaving). For finding the cheapest-easiest flight, there's no search engine for "anywhere in Europe to Point B", right? So my best bet would just be to run Kayak searches to LAX from London, Paris, Barcelona, Copenhagen, Brussels, Berlin, etc and just pick whatever's cheapest and fewest connections (and not crazy far from wherever I might fly into from Africa)?

Good point on the proof of egress, but if I arrive in, say, Barcelona on May 1 with an paid-for ticket leaving London on May 15, I'd imagine that's pretty convincing proof that I'm not planning to hang around Spain forever, right?

Only question with that egress thing or visas in general: sometimes the cheapest flights to LAX are from non-EU aiports, most notably Oslo. As a US citizen am I likely to have any issues at all just dropping into Oslo via ferryboat or cheapo flight, spending a few days there and then flying out to LAX, provided I arrive in Oslo with onward tickets in hand? Or am I smartest to stick to using EU countries for my entrance/exit from Europe?

Very excited for this, spent the last year all in Liberia, a country the size of the US state of Virginia with only like 2/3 the population of the DC Metro area. So yeah, *really* looking forward to going places with a variety of restaurants, museums, and music, and where I'm not my default the most stare-worthy person on the block.

If you're a US citizen with money in the bank and a paid-for ticket to LAX, there's basically no way you'll be turned away at the border. You get 90 days on arrival without a visa as it is.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

As far as I can tell, airlines basically survive based on people who don't have to use their own money to pay for flights.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Boom-shaka-laka: 17 May, one-way flight from Oslo to Los Angeles, 18hr trip (4hr layover at Gatwick), US$262 plus $60 for one checked bag. If I'd been willing to leave one day later I could've paid another $30 and gotten a direct 10hr flight, but 17 was as late as I'm willing to leave.

Now just gotta figure out to get from West Africa to Norway...

Jesus, that's a good deal. Canada's getting close now that WestJet flies to Gatwick, but unfortunately they've not established any codeshares within Europe, which is a bit of a deal-breaker for me.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Yeah it's a codeshare flight, you'll be fine. You'll probably have to grab your bags at JFK and transfer them over to a different conveyor belt, but maybe not! It's been awhile since I've done a domestic connector prior to an international departure. The joys of living in a hub city.

Typically you only need to pick up your bags during a connection if you're clearing customs, in my experience, but it being a codeshare could muck that up. Check when you drop off your bags in the first city.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I can't make a guarantee one way or the other, but it seems like JetBlue interlines with Turkish:

http://www.jetblue.com/airline-partners/

So I would say you probably don't have to pick up your bags in New York. You will be able to find out when you check in, in any event.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I just checked in for a long-haul flight tonight and I got a bulkhead seat. How likely is it that I might be asked to move if there's travellers with infants on board and they need the cot or whatever? I normally would've taken a different seat but the only seats left were middle seats.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

"Did not receive blowjob from hot female flight attendant, only the plain, older flight attendant. ONE STAR!!!"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Also, once you're actually on an overseas flight, does an extra hour even make a difference? The difference between a one hour flight and a two hour flight is large. The difference between a 9 hour flight and a 10 hour flight is nothing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Even $50 could conceivably get me to take an inefficient connection, all other things being equal. Once you're on an overseas flight, an extra hour doesn't really make a difference. The comfort of the airlines in question, ease of connection and such all make a bigger difference to me. That $50 could mean that you can just grab a sedan to your hotel instead of loving around with buses or metros, which has more utility than saving some flight time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Toronto would be cheap and I've never been.

Have you been to Montreal? I'd definitely recommend it over Toronto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

HookShot posted:

Keep in mind Aeroplan charge fuel surcharges on a LOT of flights. A "free" flight can often end up costing $500+

FEES AND TAXES??? *shrieking penguin*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9BIsrSPRFY
(for any non-Canadian who has no idea what the gently caress I'm talking about)