Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Garregus posted:

Oh, we have drains. They are about 1" above the floor.

Man I love that. I've got the same problem in my area.

And since I haven't made a job update in awhile, have one! I still work for the same grocery store. Another one opened up in the city, further away from me. People are being let go over attendance or quitting for whatever, so more room for advancement is around, assuming corporate lets me :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jesus. Do go on.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That sucks :saddowns:.

Anyone have any thoughts on Chef hiring in people from outside who he knows to replace people leaving? He's done it twice where I'm at, one's doing well. The newer lady is just...loving awful though. Meddling, thinks she knows how to do everything, a pain in the rear end, just awful really.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's what happened with one guy that got promoted over me, sort of. Well, the two of em that got promoted because they played basketball with the former boss(es). One got fired *finally* for being a slackass. The other left. He was something special.

First and foremost, he went into rehab on the company dime for like, 3 months. He was a slackass too, complained about poo poo, didn't clean up, etc. He would come in late and call off *all the time* and never get in trouble for it. Favoritism loving sucks.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mu Zeta posted:

Just wondering how many of you guys work in open kitchens? That's all I've been seeing recently around here. And is it intimidating?

I work in the restaurant part of a grocery store (think like a big Whole Foods if that helps) so it's mostly open kitchen. Never been a huge issue, except when I had a line of like, 6 people waiting for omelettes and only two little propane burners to work with, and sorta poo poo pans.

Speaking of omelettes! I forget if I mentioned it, but the formerly Crepes & Rostis, then Crepes & Sandwiches, then Crepes, Sandwiches, and poo poo Breakfast Stuff station is closed permanently! It was mostly my home these past few years, in addition to everything else. I worked the first day of it, and the very last day, kinda fitting I guess. It's shut down for a month or so for remodeling, and becoming Burgers & Fries, and our Sub Shop will be moving over to be with it. I...really don't like the idea, even if it makes money, it seems so dull.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
poo poo, how long did things last Wrought? Seems like it's been forever.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bunnyofdoom posted:

Before this thread closes, can a newbie to it get a more detailed explanation? How many jobs has Wrought switched from, and how did the new thread thing start?

All of them, every single job.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kenning posted:

Let's not get all anxious to make fun of dude for working in fast food rather than restaurant dining. It's all poo poo, we're all undervalued and underpaid, and we're all working really hard to make money for an rear end in a top hat who doesn't give a gently caress about us.

Amen.

A-fuckin-men. One of the other cooks today was bitching about working under idiots, and I just nodded and kept quiet mostly. This is his first, and maybe only, foodservice job. He was also bitching about "why put forth a good, hard effort above and beyond when other people don't?" :gonk:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any of you carry a pedometer? My new phone has one built in, and I started using it one day. I average between 5.5-6.5 miles a day apparently. That's a lot of drat walking :v:.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I managed 7 miles yesterday, forgot about that. Though that includes the shopping after work, walking to and from the car, etc.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
crossposting from the chat thread..

I have the potential for a promotion to a Sous Chef spot in the future. Still at the fancy grocery store thing I've been doing for years now. But a new one is opening soon, and they need chefs. Rumor has it one of our current Sous' will become the new Exec at the new store, and he likes my work and knows I'm not a fuckup or slacker. So, good things. Assuming the rumors are true.

Only thing that sucks about it is, the store will be opening right around the time of my second weeks vacation being requested for. It's a big company though, they can manage without me then, especially with it being requested before I knew about the store even, much less applied for a position.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At least you have management around. I hardly ever see my department lead. Plus when she is around, she just walks around. Doesn't actually know a drat thing about cooking or cleaning it seems. I miss my old bosses here. They would at least actually pitch in and cook or clean if need be. It was always fun to see the two of them back in the dish room with aprons on over their button up shirts. But at least there are more openings posted for the new store. :unsmith:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seconding that. Or find an adult education program at your local technical school, much cheaper.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a "" "chef""" manager who was amazed you can cut bread and make croutons from it. She's also poo poo at prep and production, unsurprisingly. Howzat?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dummies, mostly :v:. We're losing one of our Sous to a nursing home apparently, which is good for him. And we've gotten two new Sous that actually know how to do things! It's amazing, unlike the one I mentioned before with croutons. She can barely even cook a loving burger, and I also heard tell of a night where she managed to let three pizzas burn in the span of 5-10 minutes.

Also, early shifts. Like, 5AM, are nice. I miss this early time back in the early days of the store when I was opening/working our breakfast/crepes/rosti area. Then that closed up and got remodeled for the subs, as well as bringing in burgers. That happened about a year ago. I'm working early again since our receiver left for a teaching job, and I was asked if I wanted to do it. Need to find the boss lady and remind her of our conversation about making me full-time finally.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
[quote="Willie Tomg" post=""436529337")"]

Congratulations on the new management! Nothing hurts like being under the thumb of a sous or chef who doesn't bring it.
[/quote]

Oh you've no idea how incompetent this woman is. She allegedly was an FoH manager at an UNO before this. Yet she has the worst loving people skills. It's just layers and layers of incompetence.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Suspect Bucket posted:

The time has come. Coconut Monkey can now release the long awaited Gravy Trader.

Ahh memories. :allears:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Uuuuuuuuuuggggggghhh, those are the absolute worst. Especially when they want ham and bacon in it too. Because egg whites are healthy, therefore

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I seriously hope we're being trolled. Because goddamn, that's impressive if not.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a new job after the grocery store one fired me for eating a piece of bacon in the kitchen. Back in a real restaurant for now, fun times I suppose :v:.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
inorite? A good sign at least, the Exec and GM at the new place both had the same amused reaction to my story. "They let you go after nearly five years for that?"

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Guess you better pack it in and go back to McDonald's then, Monk. Ain't no recovering from that.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Crosspost from tattoo thread. Austin's best artist, IMO, Ray Wallace!

That's pretty nice!

I've a question for y'all. I'm waiting to hear back for a second interview/shadowing for a hospital. Anyone worked one before, opinions? Experiences? I didn't ask about pay or anything yet since I only did the first interview. I'll ask all that if I get the shadowing call.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

A hospital kitchen was my first industry job. I still do part time there to get insurance. The work is easy as hell. Coworkers range from nice lunch lady types, to cool old dudes who've cooked forever but can't physically hack it in (or don't want to put up with) a restaurant any more, to people who barely passed culinary school and insist they belong in the industry despite barely being able to handle the easy-rear end hospital kitchen.

Honestly, what hurts the job the most is the absolute lack of creativity or flexibility. It makes sense and I understand it, but overcooking everything, under seasoning everything, and painstakingly measuring out and pre-portioning absolutely everything is boring and uninspiring work. It's a decent job, it was a good place for me to learn the basics, but there's a reason the buddy who got me the job there left, and still calls it the kitchen that killed his joy for cooking.

twotimer posted:

ive done agency work in hospital kitchens before.
its pretty cruisy, but imo its a place people go to retire. you will be making lots of jello, broths, vitamised meals, special dietary meals, tons of 'just add water' stuff, steam-and-serve, etc.
its as far from sexy as you can get.

All sounds reasonable, I could deal with that for hopefully full-time straight off the bat and at least equal if not greater pay to what I'm getting now for being fry bitch for a "restaurant and tavern" to quote the logo. The little walkthrough I did yesterday morning made it sound semi-reasonable, and less stressful. Thanks for the input.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
loving Father's Day was busy as gently caress. 15+ hours today, and 11k sales between 5-9 alone. We ran out of so much food, I feel a little bad for the openers tomorrow, not terribly so, but a little.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Republicans posted:

What sort of restaurant do you work at? Maybe I just haven't been working in the right places but Father's Day never struck me as an especially busy holiday, at least nowhere on the same scale as a Mother's Day or Valentines.

"Tavern and Restaurant", upscale Friday's kinda place, handcut chicken breasts and tenders for sandwiches and salads, pre-made soups from corporate, most sauces made in store. That kinda place. It was unexpectedly crazy busy.

e - I've got a shadowing thing scheduled for the hospital on Wednesday though, so that's good. I work the next 2 nights at the first place, then off for 4 days (not counting the shadowing.) I'm not as sore today as I would have expected which is also good.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 22, 2015

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh poo poo indeed. No one got hurt I hope?

I've got some progress on that hospital job! Shadowed today for 2 hours, mostly just watching to see if it was for me. poo poo looks easy as gently caress, I could do it in my sleep. And my enthusiasm was well liked by the management types I interviewed. So barring some sort of odd issue or like, a ton of more qualified folk applied. But I think I've got the job.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That would explain that one guy.

I have good news. The hospital job got back to me with a yes! So barring a reference being a dick which is unlikely, or some issue on the physical or drug test which is more unlikely. I'll be at a new job in about a month, full time, with benefits and all the good stuff. Feels good man.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Secret Spoon posted:

It's really about safety. Hospitals serve staff sure, but they also serve some of the highest at risk clientele. They are just playing CYA.

That was my assumption, yeah. It's a corporate hospital thing so they're doing it for safety. Same with the background check. Doesn't bother me none since my worst offenses are a speeding ticket and a minor accident. Not worried about the drug test either. Did one for my last job (the grocery store one, not fryer bitch at a small chain.)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not at all worried, and I can deal with training videos and the like. Good news too, they want me in asap. So I'm doing my physical, etc, next week before I head off on a vacation, and then I do my all day orientation the day after I get back. So I'll probably be starting there in 2-3 weeks I'd assume. Full time from the start, and a $.50 raise from the restaurant job are also quite nice.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You are the worst or the unluckiest waiter ever. Just go work at a jiffy lube or something and save yourself the trouble.

Agreed. Or get into a kitchen, maybe local government work. :downs:

Thanks for the votes of confidence y'all. Next two weeks will be interesting. Still working a few more days I assume at the restaurant, then off Wednesday. Early morning physical and paperwork for the hospital, then off on vacation for a few days. Come back, and the next day I do all day orientation. And then I assume I'll be starting that week sometime at the hospital. I shouldn't be worried about minimal amounts of nicotine from vaping I assume? That'd be my only exceedingly small worry for the physical with the "no tobacco on campus" thing. Not like I'd vape while working or even on break :v:.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Secret Spoon posted:

They aren't going to check for nicotine use homie. Just out of curiosity, is this your first job that entails a physical and drug test and all that jazz?

Physical, yes. Drug test, no. I've worked retail :v:. I just wasn't gaping until this last year so it was never an issue before. I go from being a good innocent kid to getting a tattoo and starting to vape when I hit 28. I was just assuaging the one minor fear that I doubted would've been an issue.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My boyfriend thinks so, yes :3:. Maybe it's just his mild neurotic nature rubbing off on me. Dumb paranoia or something like that.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's hoping for the best for your coworker, Trebuchet.

On a more upbeat note, and sort of related. Tonight was my last night at essentially an upscale Friday's. And I start fulltime at a hospital on Monday. I'm excited.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the great deceiver posted:

Guess it's time to look for another job, at least I have some solid experience now.

poo poo man, that sucks to hear especially after seeing all your other posts. Try hospitals too, I'm working one now and it's good, solid, consistent work.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the great deceiver posted:

I feel like my criminal record would hold me back in that area.

Can't hurt to try though! Especially with that Exec reference, and going to school. Those can be seen as good signs towards self improvement.

Speaking of. Goddamn this current job is crazy in a good way. The entirety of the 'Nutrition Services' department is something like 70 people. That includes management, dieticians, "ambassadors" which are the people who deliver food to patient rooms, dish room, cashiers, etc. People are friendly, within the department, as well as visitors and other hospital staff. And even at it's busiest, it's "as bad" as a slow-ish night at my last job which was an upscale Applebee's essentially. I'm making more starting than I was after 5 years at the grocery store job for less stress, plus a dollar more an hour on the weekends. AND I'm already accruing PTO which is nuts. I'll have enough in a month to use for most of a vacation early in September. And I'm getting benefits starting next month as well.

Oh, and I'm a 'Relief Cook' which means I'm learning pretty much every station up front, and the room service line in a week or two, so I can fill in wherever they need coverage. It's pretty nice all around.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 7, 2015

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JawKnee posted:

Depends on house policy, how well liked they are, previous infractions, and just how hurting the house is for staff.

I've worked places where repeated fuckups kept getting their nth chances and other places where a coffee mug full of beer on a lunch break got people canned after years of good work. Totally relative.

Or in my case, getting fired over one piece of bacon after 5 years of good work.

e - the thing Turkeybone is talking about has a name, too! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Principle

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 14, 2015

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Unfortunately there's not much to it! I worked at one of the Giant Eagle Market District's (GE is a grocery chain in OH, PA, north central WV, and MD.) They're basically a regular grocery store with an added restaurant food court area like some Whole Foods, bigger bakery, and more stuff in general, some housewares too. That was mine at least.

Anyways! I ate ONE piece of bacon in the kitchen one day. I get called up to HR a week later, asked if I did, said I did, and was told I was fired with the option of appealing it. I did, it was denied, so I was gone. I can only assume I was snitched on by a coworker whose I think boyfriend, but definitely the father of her child, had been fired recently for the same thing. Plus a coworker that was also their friend. All three of whom would regularly be eating in the kitchen which is against the rules but everyone does it including management of the department :v:. That's not hyperbole either, maybe 5 people in the department hadn't done it at that point.

This happened at the end of April, I think the 20th funnily enough. I got a temporary job three weeks later at essentially an upscale Applebee's (bar food, some nicer entrees, half the stuff was made fresh aside from the corporate soups.) Kept looking for a job, and now I'm working at a hospital. I was making 11.30/hr after 5 years at the first job, and only FINALLY got full time 9 months prior to the incident when I took over our receiving position when the former person left for a teaching job.

The last job, I was making 12/hr, but part time and they kept their labor pretty tight so I'd often be sent home an hour early when I was opening, sometimes a little early on closes. Now I'm making 12.48/hr, full time right from the start, benefits kick in next month, and I'm already accruing PTO. And the work is a hell of a lot easier than either of the last two jobs.

e - minor amusement. The store I worked at still has the original floorplan map on their website. No mentions of the burgers, and the rostis & crepes are still listed which haven't been there for a good 2-3 years now.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 15, 2015

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*more mature. Less mature would be throwing a tantrum and leaving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

My kitchen's all t-shirts and jeans. I'm the only one with actual cooks' pants. They are fools because there is no garment more comfortable than cooks' pants.

Hospital I work at has black cook pants for us, and they're so stiff and uncomfortable. I just keep wearing my army surplus cargo pants. So much more comfortable, and durable as hell. I should replace the pair with bleach spots from decking though.

• Locked thread