Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So I'm hearing you need some new pegs with removable feelers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Why does my ignition have a "drain battery overnight" setting

WHAT THE HELL IS IT USED FOR

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

It's a parking light, don't leave it on that overnight or you'll drain your battery. Leave it on "off".

Oh, hi dad! I didn't know you had an account.

Srsly tho my bike decidedly does not have LED taillamps. Gonna dig out my charger when I get home. And maybe this is a failure of imagination on my part but I'm having a hard time figuring out a chain of events that would lead to me cursing the designers for NOT including a way for me to lock the steering and pull the key but have the brake lights stay on. I mean, I know about the park setting, I've avoided it for years but I must have had a braino last night.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rime posted:

I arrived home this evening to find that some cocksucking mainlander backed into my bike, knocked it over and totalled the front end, and drove off leaving it lying there in a pile of gasoline and shredded rain cover all day. Since I have no hope of tracking down who did it, my deductible is $700.

Broken clutch handle, tweaked forks, massive dent in my gas tank that nearly punctured it, gas stripping on the paint, lord only knows what else. I suspect ICBC is going to try and just write it off since it's such a duct-taped together deathtrap already. :suicide:

A shitbag backed over your classic bike on the island? Dogg you got Josh Jacksoned.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowdens Secret posted:

Pretty sure nobody gets hysterical over 'hooning' and similar 'anti-social' driving / riding like the Aussies do. I've heard tales from Canadians but they're still not as absurd as Aus. Slavvy's struggles with Big Kiwi are a pale shadow.

Do the Aus have a policy where if you get dinged doing over a certain # of km they pull the bike/car out from under you and you get to walk home?

That's how it is up here. If you're 40 over in BC, you walk home. In Ontario, 50. I'm not aware of anything like that in Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba, but those are also places where twisties don't exist.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If it snowed enough to form stable tunnels you could throw studs on and ride around in them, doing barrel rolls like it was loving STUN Runner

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

M42 posted:

:stare: Christ, I thought NZ was cool, turns out it's just Outraged Geriatric No Fun Zone.

John Britten and the World's Fastest Indian guy were both Kiwis.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I haven't been on the bike since November. I put on my helmet and gloves just to feel like a real human and my fiancee looked at me like I had just tried to introduce her to my best friend the three-foot talking spider with lamps for legs.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

OSU_Matthew posted:

At this point I'm very seriously contemplating moving... California, Mexico, Texas, Brazil, Vietnam, I don't care anymore! Anywhere I can find a job with beaches and year long riding weather, I'm packing my bags.

I'm gonna keep pulling gas out the ground till the shoreline's at Revelstoke.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So which one of you dirty snitches told my Shiver I was seeing Triumphs behind it's back? Because it's developed an oil leak to try and emulate my bit on the side. Now instead of spending the second nice weekend of the year riding it I'll be crawling around trying to trace the source to make sure it's just "character" and not terminal.

(I spent the *first* nice weekend of the year cleaning it, which may, I admit, be the real reason it developed an oil leak, to punish my hubris)

That's the problem with cleaning your bike, you might have a wad of grimy dirt stopping up a leak

NEVER CLEAN YOUR BIKE. Dust it off with your hands, or a dustrag if you must.

Hello I am Pigpen from Peanuts comics

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I blip the throttle because I'm on a loving motorcycle dammit and if you can't blip the throttle at a light every once in a while what good is living?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

You said they're straight pipes? Jam a cored-out potato about a foot down one of them with a broom handle and see if he can figure that one out.

POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTAtopotatopotatopotatopotato

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's the law in AB too.

Alberta Rules of the Road posted:

Yielding to pedestrians
41(1) A person driving a vehicle shall yield the right of way to a
pedestrian crossing the roadway within a crosswalk.
(2) Where a vehicle is stopped at a crosswalk to permit a
pedestrian to cross the roadway, a person driving any other vehicle
that is approaching the stopped vehicle from the rear shall not
overtake and pass the stopped vehicle.
(3) At any place on a roadway other than at a crosswalk, a person
driving a vehicle has the right of way over pedestrians unless
otherwise directed by a peace officer or a traffic control device.
(4) Nothing in subsection (3) relieves a person driving a vehicle
from the duty of exercising due care for the safety of pedestrians.

So Slide, I hope your buddy fought it.

We also explicitly get to pass on the right here, with no preference made in the law for passing on the left.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

As a general rule, police are required to stop you (and any law-breaking in progress) as quickly as possible after witnessing the first infraction. For instance, they can't sit behind you for miles and miles, recording you while you rack up a speeding ticket for every speed limit sign you pass.

If they didn't turn around and give you a ticket on the spot, you're not going to get a ticket.

YMMV of course, but that's how it is around here.

When I was younger (and driving what looked like a red FWD sporty coupe), I got pulled over by a ghost car who sucked in behind me while I was doing 20 kph over, and waited for me to put on my turn signal to enter a community before he flipped on the lights. Dude was back there for a minute or two, definitely not a "you're over the limit right now, here have a ticket". I wonder if he was waiting for me to run the red or something.

Slavvy posted:

There are no cameras in NZ that can detect, let alone successfully photograph a motorcycle. :madmax:

I've deffo been photoradared on the bike. Or at least someone was who was wearing my gear and riding my bike. It happened in what must be the city's longest playground zone, which I do recall entering, and after some amount of time thinking "no playground zone is this long, I must have missed the Ends sign" and I rolled on the throttle.

I got the letter in the mail a few weeks later.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The dude that pulled me over was a loving second-gen Dodge Intrepid. (It was a long time ago now.) We've got ghost cars that are fitted out to look exactly like all the contractor pickup trucks that are all over town - F150s with headache racks and tool bins made from diamondplate, and no external identification outisde of the LED flasher modules and a fleet sticker on the license plate.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I thought those were the fish you put on toast

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Radbot posted:

The Appalachians are amazingly pretty. They're kind of like a flatter, poverty-stricken version of the Rockies with much more intense police patrols.

The lovely part about the Rockies is that all the roads that aren't directly in the mountains (or foothills) were laid out after planners discovered the straight line.

^^^ Road Rash taught me that you can catch sick loving air off a cow if it's lying down, did you ramp off it

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

NEW! Buell Blast "Appreciate your own bike again" program. $99 for 30 minutes seat time, $25 for 1 hour seat time!

Oh hey can I rent a Sportster '48? The seat somehow managed to distribute my entire weight right onto my anus and it was so great climbing back onto my Vstrom because it never wants anything to do with my anus

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Both times I've sold a bike it's been for asking price to the first guy to come along cash-in-hand

Which may mean I undervalued them

But also they were both slow-rear end single-cylinder dualsports, which may appeal to a different kind of buyer

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Same goes for snow, especially at night.

Unless it's wet snow and it splaps on your visor, then it's more like being in subspace

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Found both of my bikes on their side when I got home from work. Coincidentally we are having a windstorm today. Guess I didn't have them in the right place/right direction/braced to not get knocked over. God damnit.

The damage doesn't appear to be that bad. A bar end is popped out on the Wee; it's seen worse. I'll see if I can't pop it back in. Once again crash bars and hardcase racks save my rear end. I'll have another look tomorrow once the wind's lifted.

The ZRX is worse off. Scuffed a frame slider and the end of the handlebar, the tank is dented and scuffed from Porky the "Wee"strom tipping over onto it. There are a couple dents in the exhaust tubing right where they bend under the bike, but I can't tell if those are thanks to Porky or if I missed them when I bought the Rex. They're right in the right spot to be from whacking something while driving.

Questions: The Wee is FI, the Rex is carbureted. Anything else I should check structurally/mechanically before I get them back on the road?

Rex tank, what to do?

Rex exhaust, leave the dents? Is there any way to pull dents out of a tube when it's down in the middle of a bend?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

My wife's a big girl and she is a consummate pillion*. Of course I showed her how to get on and off the drat thing and we practiced a few times before we ever went for a rip.

*Aside from her occasional tendency to nod off back there, what the gently caress sweetie

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's really only happened twice, I think. First time, we were renting a Harley Electraglide, so she was pretty securely contained. Second time was on my Wee, which I also had a backrest installed on it. Both times, she told me she nodded off afterwards, and I gave her grief for it. Now I give her knee a shake every once in a while just to make sure.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The mechanic I took my Rex to this summer really impressed me when they not only solved the original problem (sprocket nut fell off and the sprocket was freewheeling on the threaded part of the shaft), but also caught that my rear brake reservoir and right peg bracket were loose, and tightened those down as well.

I struggle to think of any other mechanic I've gone to that's found an unrelated issue when I haven't asked them to look for anything.

e: I know I should have spotted all of those myself.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ahahaha, sure, Phy, buy a 20 year old naked bike and shelve your golden retriever of a weestrom.

The Rex has a rad leak.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think Canada Post lost my fuckin' O-ring and gasket set for the Rex.

E: Crap. Turds.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

I think Canada Post lost my fuckin' O-ring and gasket set for the Rex.

E: Crap. Turds.

Update: apparently the last information they have on it was that it entered customs in Vancouver on the 20th. That was the second time I called them.

The first time, I got put through to some yahoo in god knows where. Either baked out of his tree or dying to get fired. I fuckin' wish I had been recording the call because it was surreal. Like being the guy on the other side of the door in Dave's Not Here.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
To the one guy in oncoming traffic this weekend who thought it would be hilarious to swerve into my lane and scare me, I hope that for the rest of your life every meal out is prepared by someone who took a big fat greasy poo poo, wiped with one square, and didn't wash their hands.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Refresher course this evening got postponed because it's been gorgeous for the last two weeks but today chose to be raining and just above freezing (It's snowing outside of town in the slightly hillier areas), and they don't want people going home at 10 pm after riding for hours in the wet

I think i could manage it but I was ticked when I couldn't find my cold-weather gloves, so maybe for the best

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Front sprocket off the splines? Usually when a transmission goes it’s........... a very noticeable experience.

This is exactly what happened to my Rex last year. Pulled to a stop and absolutely no action from the rear wheel no matter what gear I put it in. Disconfuckingcerting. I had to call a tow truck, they sent a giant flatdeck.

The shop that fixed it for me* tabbed the lockwasher up in three places so it shouldn't go loving anywhere now.

* I can put my own sprocket on no problem, but like you I thought it was a transmission issue and wasn't even thinking to check out the sprocket. So check the cable, and check the sprocket.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
With as much of a kick in the dick as carb extraction has been on the Rex, I'm kind of glad it didn't come with the carb heater circuit. (Euro bikes got the heater, NAm bikes got the emissions control PAIR system). I think if I'd had to drain and refill the coolant in addition to the mechanical headaches I'd have sold the fucker on and never found out about the cams.

Now that I'm a little more comfortable with the procedure, I guess I can keep the heater circuit in mind if I ever really feel a need to go riding on cold wet days. I probably won't. Calgary's super dry most of the time anyway.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've had pretty good luck so far with the DID tool, but if the RK is as good as you guys say, that's pretty impressive considering all the extra poo poo you get with it

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

Couldn't you have just said "conglomerate" instead of making us all google "keiretsu"?

All according to keikaku

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

All according to keikaku

Translator's note: keikaku means plan

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Buy my Wee!

(he said, on the internet)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

Shipping to NZ gonna be a real problem. Sorry, the only option is to buy a 701sm.

wisdom

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Slavvy encouraged me to sack up and get my current bike years ago. When my brother got tired of me going "well, eventually..." and did the same, that was the year I got it... but Slavvy was in the back of my mind the whole time.

Hope you're not dead, hoss.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

He can't even read these forums because they are behind a paywall, right?

Sometimes lowtax will put up the Total Paywall so you have to be a member to read posts, but most of the time you can lurk free of charge if you don't mind all the "gently caress"s being changed to" gently caress"

The last time I actually remember the paywall happening was during one of the Dangan Ronpa let's plays, and that was years ago

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Glad you're alive, Slavvy. I'd give you a big hug but y'know, internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've had a flipdown visor for the last few years and I won't go back

Heads up to any Canadians shopping Revzilla, I did not realize their flat rate shipping to Canada was by UPS, and it's one of those ones where UPS charge you fifty goddamn dollars for "import fees" over and above the shipping cost.

For the gloves I was buying, their USPS shipping would have been eight bucks more than the flat rate price listed, and I expect customs fees at the post office would have been around $15. And CBSA doesn't always charge you, either.

Wonder what'll happen if I refuse to accept the shipment.