Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

How long does Chromecast usually take to load up on the tv with Netflix? I tried it for the first time a few minutes ago and let netflix load for about 15 minutes and then it kicked me back to the default chromecast page on my tv.

15 minutes is not normal. It should be nearly instantaneous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm debating the Chromecast. Does it work with 5ghz wireless n yet?

Is there a better alternative for about the same price? I'm hoping for 1080p streaming if possible.

The sticks from Roku and Amazon are most definitely viable alternatives that operate on 5GHz WiFi. All current streamer sticks stream at 1080p.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Just wanted to point out that Big Web Quiz and Scrabble Blitz were big hits at my family get together for xmas, especially among the ones who are giant nerds and knew almost exactly all the measurement ones (Wtf). Wish there were more games for Chromecast. I'd like to somehow see Cards Against Humanity ported; that'd be hilarious.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Oh whaddya know, haha. No iOS version though. My family has a mix of Android and iOS devices.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Prize Loser posted:

Cardcast is iOS and Android.

Oh poo poo, this is perfect.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Those of you with Fire TVs, has the DTS audio bug been fixed when direct playing media in Plex? I remember reading it wouldn't properly output DTS or Dolby Digital audio or something.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rurea posted:

Quick Chromecast question:
When streaming Netflix with my Android tablet the chromecast controls seem to freeze up/stop working after a while. I cant pause, rewind, etc. without closing the app, waiting a few minutes, then opening it again. Is this an issue with the tablet's WiFi?

This happens to me with Plex too on my Moto G 2014. Haven't figured out why it happens though. Poor memory management on Android's part?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Super Dude posted:

Just put Kitkat back on it then...

Happened to me in KK as well.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rirse posted:

What a good way to play a Chromecast on a spare monitor with audio? I got a extra lcd monitor with both a VGA and DVI port, which I got on Amazon a HDMI to DVI adapter for $5. While the video plays (with slight degrade in quality), audio just doesn't work at all. Looking around suggest I get a HDMI to VGA with audio out adapter instead. But has anyone tried this before and had success?

FAUXTON posted:

I thought DVI didn't carry audio.

DVI and VGA both do not carry audio. Some videocards can output audio through DVI, but I believe that's pretty rare. Wouldn't matter in this situation though, since you're just plugging a chromecast directly into a monitor (which I assume has built in speakers).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

wooger posted:

But it only has DVI and VGA inputs, so not clear how the monitor's audio works.

Odd's are if the monitor has built-in speakers and doesn't have an HDMI port, it doesn't carry audio through the DVI port and has a 3.5mm jack instead.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CrashCat posted:

If you'd rather not encode on the PC I believe there's a Chrome extension just for casting Twitch as well. Been a while since I had to use it but I remember it working alright.

I used this one before: https://nightdev.com/twitchcast/ It's not an extension, but it worked great.

I personally have no issues casting twitch from my phone now though.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The Nexus Player works with HDHomeRun in Android M which is kind of making me want to get one now. Could it do that before? Because I had no idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JYdf5YaeHA&t=51s

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Friendly reminder: If you use Plex with your Chromecast, be sure to swap out the default XML file with the one from the link below to ensure your playback of most media isn't being gimped. The default Chromecast XML profile makes the Chromecast transcode any H264 video that's over 4Mbps bitrate instead of "Direct Streaming" it.

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/104606-my-best-video-setting-for-chromecast-and-android/

teagone fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jun 3, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I'd be all over the Nexus Player if it had ethernet. I made the effort of hardwiring my house, so I'm gonna use it drat it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I think it works with a USB ethernet adapter?

Oh really, hmmm. I wonder if it can work with a usb hub so I can use both an ethernet adapter and add external storage.

[edit] Or maybe something like this? http://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Bus-P...p=1418217376093

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 6, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

kri kri posted:

Looks like the chromecast has an ethernet adapter now

https://store.google.com/product/_ethernet_adapter_for_chromecast

Nice. I wonder if it can be used with the Nexus Player.

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 9, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

Probably. I have a random Ethernet adapter hooked up to mine through a USB OTG adapter. If that bullshit works I'm sure something from Google does.

Haha. I was wondering if it would also supply the power too. I'm guessing probably not.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Vultures.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Irritated Goat posted:

Random odd question. I've got a Chromecast that has issues staying connected to my wireless. Would replacing the power cable help or is it better just to buy a new one? I've had it since they came out but never got around to using it full time.

If your Chromecast is have problems staying connected to your wifi, I'd assume it's not getting a strong enough signal. Either buy the $15 ethernet adapter and hardwire it, or get a WiFi extender since I don't think buying another Chromecast would remedy the issue.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

Is it... a ball?

I think it's a disc shape, like a mini Nexus Player.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Brain Issues posted:

I totally would if plex would support rar archives but for whatever reason they decided to remove support for that poo poo.

The hell you using rar archives for?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The flirc software is worth it. They almost always go on sale for like $12-$15.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

He has purchased four nexus players.

Can we assume that the previous 3 aren't working properly?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Or you could assume he has multiple TV's in the house?

Lots of assumptions can be made!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Lots of tv's come with 4 hdmi ports now

Lmao.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jeoh posted:

Why would you attach four nexus players to one TV?

:thejoke:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I picked up a chromecast for my girlfriend's place and she loves it, but I was kinda bummed to see there's no easy access to the play/pause controls on iOS like there is on android. On android you can pull down the notification bar and it'll show the controls right there, or on your lockscreen. No such thing on iPhone.

I know it's probably a limitation of the iOS SDK or something like that, but still.

Assuming the TV you hooked the chromecast up to has CEC or whatever, you can pause/play using the remote that the TV came with.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

Well yea if you're already paying for Spotify then youtube red alone isn't enough of a reason to get google music.

Just wanted to say I laughed at your red title. Lmao.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

In sort of related news, Roku has just refreshed their entire lineup.

Looks they finally added some real muscle to the high end model too.

Thanks for notifying me of this. Weird how I haven't seen anything all day about it on my twitter feed.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Also, leaked images (allegedly) of the new Chromecast Ultra that will retail for $70

Something interesting to note is the lack of any 'Chrome' branding on the dongle. Doubly interesting because I have both of the Chromecasts in my home on the firmware preview program, and after receiving the latest preview, the Chrome logo is now absent from the boot screen. It's been replaced with an animated 'G' logo.

I wonder if Google is going to announce a major branding overhaul and drop 'Chrome' from everything on October 4th. Chrome OS might be re-branded as Andromeda based on leaked info, and the Chromecast could be rebranded to the Google Pixelcast or something.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Does Google Home work with any cast device? Like the Shield or Mi Box? I can revamp the OP to focus more on Google Home and all Android TV/casting devices I guess.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ahh ok. I know it can play stuff from Google Play services and YouTube. Holding out to be able to tell Google Home to play stuff on a Mii Box from my Plex server or something.

[edit] Also, assuming you have more than one, how does it handle multiple Chromecast on the same network? Can you say like, "Play the Rogue One trailer on Chromecast in the bedroom" or like, "Play Music in the living room" something like that?

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 5, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm intrigued by the home speaker computer thing and I'll likely go with Google's but I'm going to wait for v2. Google tends to abort products and if they make it to v2 it has a higher chance of sticking around.

How many have OnHub routers that never got the promised feature updates?

Home v2 will probably also be cheaper. I was considering an Echo and Echo Dot, but my family is mostly invested in Google services so Google Home makes more sense.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

butt dickus posted:

You have to specify. "Listen to Tal Farlow in basement."

Very cool.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I really don't think it matters as I'm fairly certain the Harmony Hub controls the shield via wifi. You set it up by scanning for wifi devices.

Not everyone has a Harmony Hub. I only have a Harmony 700.

The Gunslinger posted:

Argh what? I hope they let a Harmony controller in some other way.

The Shield Pro for $299 has an IR receiver. Guess IR is a premium feature now. :negative:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Haha, sorry for not updating this thread. I'm more concerned with making sure the Plex thread is up-to-date. I just looked at the OP, and I have the Nexus Player and Gen1 Chromecast still featured, lmao.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I use my Gen1 solely for streaming music in my home theater area now. It's the little device that could :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

havenwaters posted:

Main issue I've noticed is Gen 1 can't go above 12 mbps when using plex so you have to force it to transcode at 12 mbps if you're using something with higher bitrate.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Pretty sure people discovered that this is an arbitrary limitation. With some messing around with the plex profiles you can push it much higher.

This Plex bitrate limitation was removed in a past update I thought. I remember posting about it. Did it not affect the Gen 1 Chromecast?

[edit] Guess I could just test it out later, heh.

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 11, 2017

• Locked thread