Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Vargs posted:

Good one.

If there is one thing you can say about Mojang it is that there are developers who are getting paid to develop software, that's good enough for me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tliil
Jan 13, 2013

piratepilates posted:

:shrug: Maybe wait for this two man operation to get the game out of alpha before expecting it to compare to the progress of a game that took years to get to the point it is now and has a professional team of developers behind it now.
No, no. You misunderstand. I think Minecraft is an unfun incomplete game too. The difference is they have millions of dollars of budget to make it better and don't. So hopefully Starmade does better.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

I'm enjoying it on the goon server so far. "I'll Have Another" is landed at the Goon Squad planet, awaiting further improvements as I figure out what to add next.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
It looks like c3w is down and no one is talking on IRC. Did we migrate somewhere else?

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got the basics from the tutorial, made an awful blob of a ship because the tutorial didn't give me enough time to make a space dreidel before moving on, then spent roughly ~10 minutes lost and confused in space before quitting for the night.

I think I've mastered the single player aspect of the game and am ready to force myself upon the goon server.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

A goon server doesn't sound anywhere near as appealing as a pubbie server full of goons. There's only so many flying space dicks you can make before you need to start piloting flying, explosive space dicks into perfect 1:1 pubbie Enterprise replicas to even feel anything anymore.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ahaha, fair enough. Do we have a server we're chilling on right now though? I've got the IP to the one in the OP, but the thread is moving pretty fast.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Apparently the main server that goons wreck pubbies on is down, so I'm waiting for someone to post that it's back up so I can see join the goonrush.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Yeah to me the appeal of this game is in its public elements. I don't even think the space combat is particularly exciting. These games always disappoint me because the potential for something magical is there but it gets washed out in a desire to make the whole thing as Lego as possible.

For me I think having a rare materials necessary to build huge spaceships that people fight over is hugely compelling. Limited resource nodes, faction-based resource management, raiding, that's interesting, and it's all there, there's lots of potential. I can see people in 12 man ships, most of them locked into repairs or gunner seats while fighters scramble to take down enemy fighters. People try to repair the generators while a handful of brave men in space suites try to burn through the hull. All to secure a rare resource node necessary to build a death ray or some poo poo.

I'd love the game to progress towards that.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are public servers a thing in this game, or are they all private?

I've played a lot of games like this with a focus on building. G Mod, Minecraft, etc. They all have the potential for a lot of fun fights, but the reality is that people hate to lose and they really hate seeing their legos getting stomped to pieces. I wouldn't be surprised if once this game really takes off, people hide away in 20-50 people servers tops. You'd think it would turn in to thinking of servers as "sectors" to fight in, but people are going to have a whole bunch of dumb rules on how you can and can't fight on their servers. Break one, or really just beat them while following the rules and you'll get booted. Eventually the RPers come in and make it an even bigger headache.

I really hope this game will have actual public servers. That's the only way I'll see communities fighting communities rather than groups fighting groups within communities. Everyone will want to conquer pubspace and draw more people in. Being top dog of Public Server X for awhile and then suddenly needing to fight off a sudden invasion from the Star Trek RPers or whatever would be baller as gently caress.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So Zennik sent me a message offering to put the server on upgraded hardware. If we can figure out which files need to be transferred to keep all of your precious space work lovely abominations against the heavens, i'll take him up on the offer. That way no one loses anything on the private goon server.

Also, this game is a blast so far. Balance and resource hog issues aside, if Minecraft had been half this interactive and meaningful when it came to gameplay, i'd have never stopped playing it.

I actually devised a way to hollow out a planet to construct a hidden space base yesterday. The idea seems to work so far, and would be a great way to ambush players on higher pop servers.

Edit: So I did a little test. I zoned into the goon planet and tried to get it to load. Pings shot way up across the server and stayed there. Then I left the star system. Pings for all players promptly went down to manageable levels.

So apparently the periodic lag spikes have something to do with either loading planets, or the stuff we've built there. I'm not sure if other planets do this as well, but it explains why the lag comes and goes randomly I guess. Also explains why we can have 10+ people on, and have no lag, but suddenly it starts spiking hard before going away for half an hour.

Hopefully an upgrade to better hardware will fix all this.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 4, 2013

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Blast of Confetti posted:

Are public servers a thing in this game, or are they all private?

I've played a lot of games like this with a focus on building. G Mod, Minecraft, etc. They all have the potential for a lot of fun fights, but the reality is that people hate to lose and they really hate seeing their legos getting stomped to pieces. I wouldn't be surprised if once this game really takes off, people hide away in 20-50 people servers tops. You'd think it would turn in to thinking of servers as "sectors" to fight in, but people are going to have a whole bunch of dumb rules on how you can and can't fight on their servers. Break one, or really just beat them while following the rules and you'll get booted. Eventually the RPers come in and make it an even bigger headache.

I really hope this game will have actual public servers. That's the only way I'll see communities fighting communities rather than groups fighting groups within communities. Everyone will want to conquer pubspace and draw more people in. Being top dog of Public Server X for awhile and then suddenly needing to fight off a sudden invasion from the Star Trek RPers or whatever would be baller as gently caress.

What really gets me is how this game allows you to use your awesome ship, gently caress it up, and then simply rebuy it. I would understand if you had to literally build every ship from scratch, but that's not the case. There is literally no reason why anyone should be horribly upset unless it becomes incredibly difficult to raise enough money to buy a ship.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LuciferMorningstar posted:

What really gets me is how this game allows you to use your awesome ship, gently caress it up, and then simply rebuy it. I would understand if you had to literally build every ship from scratch, but that's not the case. There is literally no reason why anyone should be horribly upset unless it becomes incredibly difficult to raise enough money to buy a ship.

Hopefully, I really want to go on a crusade the burn the universe in God Emperor Lowtax's name, but these games attract a certain type of people I would generally try to avoid in public.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it
For anyone interested, there is a higher res texture pack someone made

DOWNLOAD HERE

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Anyone having issues connecting to the server?

Also what is with some items selling for huge negative values?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Synnr posted:

Anyone having issues connecting to the server?

Also what is with some items selling for huge negative values?

The C3W server is currently down. Has been for a while.

The negative values thing is some bug.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

The C3W server is currently down. Has been for a while.

The negative values thing is some bug.

The server in the OP?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Yeah I think this right here is probably one of the best features put in the game so far. Clicking "save dis bote" is like "oh hey it doesn't matter if I lose this amazing atrociously loving hideous ship I spent twelve hours working on, I can just spawn another!"

Though I'm unusual in that "my ship got blowed up" translates directly to "whatever, excuse to build something bigger."

I heard that huge ships can gently caress up the server. What levels of huge are we talking about? I have one that's like 8,000 cubes or so and will make it bigger eventually and haven't really seemed to have problems. Or what it just huge ship blueprints? Like if I just build it is it a problem?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Synnr posted:

The server in the OP?

I'm rebooting it with blueprints added back in now that we know that isn't the problem.

Edit: Should be available now.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Someone on the goon server has a ship that's just four enormous cubes (presumably full of stuff) and I have no lag near it, so I'm guessing the game can handle fairly big ships.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
My plan is to build a gigantic mining ship that's the exact circumference and shape as a planet and I just kind of face one and spin around to eat the entire loving thing but I'm completely certain absolutely everyone else has had this idea

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I heard that huge ships can gently caress up the server. What levels of huge are we talking about? I have one that's like 8,000 cubes or so and will make it bigger eventually and haven't really seemed to have problems. Or what it just huge ship blueprints? Like if I just build it is it a problem?

I think they cause lag and the collision detection gets hosed to hell. When you've got a ship the size of a planet moving around at tens of kilometers per hour, but not all of the ship is rendered, things tend to end badly.

So by huge, we mean ships that have hundreds of thousands of cubes in them.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it

YellerBill posted:

Someone on the goon server has a ship that's just four enormous cubes (presumably full of stuff) and I have no lag near it, so I'm guessing the game can handle fairly big ships.

We think it is probably the Goon planet with its buildings and space elevator that is loving stuff up....best to keep away from it for now.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

gokuesque posted:

My plan is to build a gigantic mining ship that's the exact circumference and shape as a planet and I just kind of face one and spin around to eat the entire loving thing but I'm completely certain absolutely everyone else has had this idea

Yeah that would qualify as "too big" I'm pretty sure, seeing as the game doesn't render whole planets at once so not having the whole ship rendered would probably go all wonky.

I'm happy with my small fast light fighter for now.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

C3W is back.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Nice. I may pop on in a bit if I'm not busy with other stuff.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Is there any secret to acquiring Grey Hull blocks early in the game? Other than literally fly to 100 shops until you can get 5000 of them?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Mendrian posted:

Is there any secret to acquiring Grey Hull blocks early in the game? Other than literally fly to 100 shops until you can get 5000 of them?

Rip them out of space stations using the method I described on the last page. Tens of thousand of them with just a few minutes of easy work.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

I think they cause lag and the collision detection gets hosed to hell. When you've got a ship the size of a planet moving around at tens of kilometers per hour, but not all of the ship is rendered, things tend to end badly.

So by huge, we mean ships that have hundreds of thousands of cubes in them.

Oh OK, yeah I wasn't planning on going planetly huge. I don't have that kind of attention span. It's more likely I'll keep expanding my little space dock and cramming ships onto it of various sizes. Though the station will probably get planet-sized if this server lasts long enough.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can someone toss me an invite for the Goon faction on the pub server? Character name should be Kiyro unless I messed something up.

elcannon
Jun 24, 2009
Also looking for an invite, on right now as CannonDeLuce.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Should we see about setting up a Steam group or getting on Mumble for this or something?

I host a few of these for goons, already.
There's a public one that doesnt get much use at: mumble.analpoundtownandassociates.com port 4242

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Heads-up: We've got a guy making assaults on our base. There are only a few of us on. We've driven him off twice, now.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Heads-up: We've got a guy making assaults on our base. There are only a few of us on. We've driven him off twice, now.

on C3W? I'll be right there, someone invite me to the goon faction when I get on.

edit: Can someone shoot me an invite to the goon faction on c3w?

Ferrovanadium fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 4, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

If they're still up, you can use my missile turrets if he's in the targeting arc to gently caress his ship up. I was careful to build each one so that it covers a specific arc approaching the station.

I'm also not sure if BOBBY AI blocks use the weapon loadout on them properly yet, since I haven't been able to organize a live test firing scenario. However when I manually fired the missiles (As long as you stay locked on they home in.) at junk ships that goons volunteered to die gloriously in piloted, they ripped apart entire battleships in a single salvo. Probably because each one fires 5 200-300+ damage homing missiles.

Also, it appears from the test I did that putting our station right next to the shop was a mistake. The reason being that one way to always safely defend our territory is to set the AI settings so that neutral is hostile to our faction. Which is probably the way most goons want to roll with the game in its current stage of development (Since there is no manual hostility declaration for independent players, and trading is iffy so far.) anyways.

The problem is that the turrets appeared to be targeting the shop since it was considered a neutral enemy. The shop is invincible, so this creates an issue where they ignore actual enemies. This means that a large number of our automated defenses are useless, along with any further defenses we make unless we create a ridiculously large sphere of defenses far out around the shop.

What's more, it appears that C3W does not have trade guild NPC's activated so far. I've been camped out on C3W for hours on end building for the past few days and i've yet to see a single trade guild ship. If i'm understanding the shop system correctly this means that the shop is useless to us. Eventually it will fill up with resources, meaning newbies can't sell anything to get cash anymore, and it'll eventually also run out of stuff to buy until the next reboot.

Also, i'm not sure if it was set to be so, but if someone sets up our station as a home base then they literally cannot harm it. Not sure if this counts for docked ships too, but if so I can work on building a huge docking ring to accommodate our ship needs. I started on one yesterday but stopped due to a lack of enhancers.

Edit: Another tip for newbies. When saving blueprints, if available save one variant locally with a faction module installed, and one without. This creates a cheaper early game variant you can use to tool around with after joining a server, and a mid/late game one that gives you the ability to identify as a goon. This'll be more useful once we actually get some system defenses that can fire on people trying to gank our space station. Especially since if we can get "set neutral to hostile" working, since most players will probably be independent people trying to gank ships nearby.

Also, just a heads up but you don't need to waste enhancers on huge connected bridges to docking spots. The way enhancers work, you tie them into a stacked block that creates a larger docking slot in the equivalent direction compared to where the docking core is.

IE: If you place a connected enhancer behind the core, it upgrades the docking space in that direction. If you place it beneath it, it'll add more space for ships above and below it. A lot of our enhancers (Someone built a huge connected area.) are wasted at the moment since they're not set up to use that, unfortunately.

Edit 2: And since people in game asked me to do it, here's how you create a factory and craft.

Setting up a factory:

A factory is currently controlled by two blocks. The factory input, and enhancer. There were/are other blocks, like particle presses, but I have no idea how to obtain them, or even if they're in. Regardless of which, they're not necessary to understand how the feature currently works.

To start crafting you first need to set up automated facilities to support the usage of recipes. To do this you must find either a planet, asteroid, or station. You cannot set up factory items on a ship yet, unfortunately. Once you have located one that you think looks cozy, you can place the blocks. The original tutorial recommended four inputs, but so far i've gotten along fine with one. I'll explain why later on in this guide.

Once you have an input slot down, you can look at placing enhancers. Enhancers double the output of a recipe by decreasing the time to craft an item. You can connect an enhancer to a factory input like any other block. IE: Press C to select the core, then V to connect the enhancer.

Once you've gotten that done, you've gotten your basic infrastructure. Now you need to move on to getting recipes.

Finding a recipe, or how this game actually has PVE content:

Recipes were originally standard hardcoded things. IE: You always knew that if you put ____ resources in, you'd get ____ output. A recent update changed it so that recipes are now randomly generated as items. This means that there are some really loving good recipes out there, and some really lovely ones.

You obtain recipes through several methods currently. You can find them in the storage lockers on pirate bases, as somewhat rare drops from pirate NPC's, in "abandoned ruins" (No idea what this is, but the wiki mentions them existing. Maybe a planetary feature?), and from shops.

In the case of all but the last thing, this requires you to explore the galaxy and/or do the equivalent of PVE combat. Stations, and especially pirate bases have an area on them that has storage lockers, the same that you can buy in the store. Destroying these will drop the loot inside. I'm not sure if destroying them also destroys some of the loot too, but that may also be a concern. You can circumvent that risk by finding the faction module and destroying it, releasing the station to free control. The faction module is always at wherever the "targeting" square is when you hit F to select a station in space. So just burrow your way into that area of the station with a ship if you want it.

Shops also sell recipes that tend towards being very useful in terms of their required resources. I've gotten three our four so far, and they've all only required level 1 resources. However, shop prices for resources are extremely expensive, requiring anywhere from 5000 to 10000 of the same item you want to make a recipe out of to get a recipe to make more. Thus, the shop method is usually best done by groups of people who want to pool their resources together.

Regardless, recipes are the "high end" items of the game. Having a library of them means you can basically circumvent difficulties with shops. As such, you really don't want to lose them once you've got them.

Producing an item with a recipe:

Once you have a recipe, you can right click it to see what resources it produces. You simply put the recipe in the top left slot of the factory's inventory after opening it, and the resources next to it. It will then periodically output the item the recipe makes into the factory inventory if all of the recipe's items are present, until it runs out of items to craft with.

Keep in mind that that one input block can only handle one recipe at a time. So this is why you might want more than one factory input. That way you can have multiple recipes running from salvaging ops. This isn't actually necessary until you have more than one recipe being used in the faction however.

Why you actually want to use the crafting system:

Shops have a limited supply of blocks, and getting materials from being a pirate is financially lucrative but can be spotty if you need a certain item. Getting a recipe removes the need for that. Also, since it's possible to get recipes that output items for cheap, it can basically be an infinite money printer for everyone in the faction. Or it can just unlock the ability to easily do ridiculous construction projects, like a planet made out of nothing but a poo poo-ton of guns.

So basically, the game really is like EVE Online. The guys who understand how to use recipes efficiently have far higher production capabilities than the guys who just use shops and pirating only. Recipes are even a lot like blueprints in that game, in that a low cost high output one for a valuable item basically lets you break the game in your favor.

I imagine if money and the money related exploits (Like spawning in and disassembling a giant star destroyer for cash.) are fixed, they'll become extremely valuable as well since the ways to circumvent the "construction" part of projects will be removed. This is already apparent on a lot of blueprint-less servers, where it seems like being a cut-throat bastard really pays off if you want to be rolling around in moon sized planet devourers.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 4, 2013

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I have returned from negotiations with Comrade Ignatov and have found him to be quite agreeable.
I believe it is peace in our time.

Archonex posted:

Also, i'm not sure if it was, but if someone sets up our station as a home base then they literally cannot harm it. Not sure if this counts for docked ships too, but if so I can work on building a huge docking ring to accommodate our ship needs. I started on one yesterday but stopped due to a lack of enhancers.

This is correct. We attempted a raid on some faction's gigantic space station and realized it was impossible to hurt any of their stuff, including docked ships.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Archonex posted:

Also, just a heads up but you don't need to waste enhancers on huge connected bridges to docking spots. The way enhancers work, you tie them into a stacked block that creates a larger docking slot in the equivalent direction compared to where the docking core is.

IE: If you place a connected enhancer behind the core, it upgrades the docking space in that direction. If you place it beneath it, it'll add more space for ships above and below it. A lot of our enhancers (Someone built a huge connected area.) are wasted at the moment since they're not set up to use that, unfortunately. That's what that white line of blocks I set up is for too.
It doesn't necessarily need to be stacked directly on the docking port itself, the size of the docking area is just derived from the volume of the cube the connected enhancers occupy, sorta like how reactors work. If you're talking about that huge mass of enhancers that I think you're talking about, they work fine.

Arclyte
Apr 21, 2002

Archonex posted:

Stations, and especially pirate bases have an area on them that has storage lockers, the same that you can buy in the store.

Can you explain where on a station this appears? I've been to 5 or 6 stations on my server and haven't seen anything like this. Mine are all 4 docking bays connected to an observation deck by a central lift shaft, and 4 engine silos connected by hallways.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Arclyte posted:

Can you explain where on a station this appears? I've been to 5 or 6 stations on my server and haven't seen anything like this. Mine are all 4 docking bays connected to an observation deck by a central lift shaft, and 4 engine silos connected by hallways.

There's no storage crates in those. Try the hostile pirate stations, they look like big wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

YellerBill posted:

There's no storage crates in those. Try the hostile pirate stations, they look like big wheels.

Really? I assumed they both had them given what the wiki and forums said, but that makes sense I guess. I'll change my post to reflect that.

• Locked thread