Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Kilonum posted:

Where is Ausfahrt?

Hahaha, I remember seeing those signs everywhere and thinking "drat, there are a lot of roads leading to Ausfahrt...", before my brain started working again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

TjyvTompa posted:

Also, what's up with the Mercuric/Potassium Chloride trailers? It feels like I have a flagpole with a 10 ton weight on top of it, I must have turned the truck over like 6 times doing this trip, it's only 17 tons too.

This is my experience with pretty much all the ADR cargo I've driven so far. When I drive forklifts and pressure tanks I have no problems doing highway turns at 140km/h (though I might need to use all 3 lanes), but as soon as I drive dynamite or gasoline my truck will flip over even in gentle turns once I pass 110km/h or so. Maybe the game simulates the centre of gravity for your cargo and ADR stuff has a higher COG, thus is more prone to tip over. Hard to say.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I think the default is actually to push the left analogue stick forward to accelerate (which is terrible).

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

TacticalGranny posted:

You actually have to enable them in the light configurator. Use the 'Cabin Adjustment' link in the main menu, or hit F1 to pause while driving and choose the light adjustment.

From what I can see, the game can't use both the top and bottom aux lights at the same time. They work separately just fine, but if I enable both at the same time the bottom ones won't work. They still show as "on" if you look at the front of the truck, but the light displayed on the dark road looks the same with just the top aux lights enabled as it does with both top and bottom on at the same time.

If I enable the bottom lights first, the light on the road visibly grows brighter, but then dims as soon as I turn on the top ones. If I enable the top lights first, turning the bottom ones on and off yields no visible change.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
One day I hope we can get a truck simulator where it is possible to recreate crashes like this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-23970047

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Kilonum posted:

Sounds like your typical California I-5 pileup to me.

So what you're saying is that there's hope in the upcoming World of Trucks? :v:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

SynthOrange posted:

Last night:
'I guess I should try out the speed unlimiter.' I thought, before racking up a whole bunch of speeding fines.

Disabling the speed limiter was a huge drain on my finances early in the game for this reason. Of course I started the game in the UK as well where there's speed cameras every 2 miles, or so it feels like.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I gave up worrying about lanes and decided to just use the entire road. Weaving back and forth at 140km/h with 15 tons of dynamite on the trailer is more fun anyway.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

ivantod posted:

Speaking of Hungary, I've recently become aware of a mod that replaces the ETS2 normal map with a very detailed version of Hungary only. So far there are about 30 cities, but they are planning to expand it to about 300 when it's finished.

I haven't tried it yet, but from what I've seen from screenshots and videos, it looks more detailed than the normal ETS2 and roads etc. seem a lot more life-like (you can get the idea already from the Youtube preview image below really).

This video shows it in action so you can decide if it's worth it to you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmRLq9e8pX0

Download link: http://ets2downloads.com/maps/hungary-map

Obviously, you need a separate profile for this map, it doesn't integrate with anything else.

Wow, this map is insanely detailed and realistic (not that I've ever been to Hungary to compare). If I have one wish for the base ETS2 game, it is more detailed and lively urban and suburban areas.

I don't think I'll play the Hungary map, but I'd love to see DLC that had way more realistic maps at the expense of being more limited geographically.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
This game needs the ability to get things like this in your window for each country you pass through:

For added realism we can get fined constantly for it as well (this truck was detained in Norway a few days ago for having an overtly obstructed view).

AG3 fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Feb 4, 2014

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

ovaries posted:

Yeah, turn up the deadzone. The 360 controller's analog sticks are crazy loose and they only get worse after continued wear. It's not a bad idea to occasionally recalibrate them in Windows as well.

Ain't that the truth. When I use my 360 controller in Dolphin I have to set increase the deadzone from 0 all the way up to 20 just to make sure the games don't pick up movement from the stick while it's still. And I haven't even used the controller all that much. ETS2 doesn't show a numerical value for its deadzone, but I'd say it's close to 15-20% of the way up there as well.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

mackintosh posted:

I swear I played this game before. On Amiga, in the early 90s. It's almost exactly the same thing.

It does look a lot like a modern version of Ports of Call. The game that taught me S.O.S in morse code.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Ogrel72 posted:

Why does it bother me that the tanker carrying placarded petrol (1202) in the foreground has the wrong style valves on top?

https://law.resource.org/pub/za/ibr/za.sans.erg.2008.html

Probably :spergin: ?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
It's been 16 years since I had ADR lessons in school and frankly I'm happy that I ended up in a different career that doesn't require me to renew those certificates every couple of years. If I feel like driving dynamite around ETS2 has me covered anyway, with far less hassle and danger to myself and everyone around me.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Goetta posted:

Someone from SCS posted the new map along with some pretty pictures of a bridge: http://steamcommunity.com/games/227300/announcements/detail/116300968917115448

Aww, I live too far north to be able to visit my home city :(

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Pseudonut posted:

I was driving cleanly without crashing from the UK to Graz when I peeked at my damage meter about halfway. The truck had 8% damage, and the cargo had 41%! Does anyone know what causes this, or how to prevent it? Is it rain damage or something? Some sort of bug when reloading a save? :ohdear:

Usually this happens because an enemy car rams you from behind or the side. If the cargo is heavy you don't even feel or hear the impact, and because it's them ramming you and not the other way around you don't get a fine that would alert you to the collision.

It often happens on highways when changing lanes, especially if you're not doing the sensible thing and driving at 150km/h, and a car either comes from behind and rams you at full speed, or you don't have enough distance to the car in the lane you're entering and hit it with the side/edge of the cargo (even when it IS your fault you don't always get fined).

Cargo don't get wear damage like your truck does; it's always caused by impacts.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 22, 2015

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I haven't experienced that (yet), but I don't use any mods so that might be why. Enemy cars ramming me, on the other hand... :argh:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
It makes sense for Norway at least since we don't have any toll booths with barriers. Most of them (at least city ones) don't even accept money and are unmanned; if you don't have a Qfree/AutoPass (basically EZ Pass I assume) your plate gets photographed and the bill sent to you by mail. Understandably this means that a lot of tourists never end up paying the toll since it's complicated to charge money in a different country.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 7, 2015

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Wait what, my portrait is in colours now? And my driving lady ditched her hoodie sweater! Gimme my hoodie back!

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

MyFaceBeHi posted:

Another cool feature they are adding is geographically accurate sun positioning, so you get longer daylight hours in the north than in the south! There is a catch, however, in that it will gently caress up any weather mod you have so you will have to wait for that mod to update.

I wonder if they'll add realistic seasons too then :v: . Summers might have more sun here in the north than in central Europe, but in winter we get basically 4 hours of daylight, and most of that time we don't even see the sun itself due to cloud cover.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

duz posted:

It's a thing of beauty

For the sake of realism the game should fine you €1000 every 20 seconds if you drive in Norway with that much of your view obstructed :v:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Granbar posted:

Just got this game a few days ago. Really lovin' it! But I'm wondering. Sometimes I see signs for 100 km/h speed limits, but my GPS thingie still shows 80. Which should I abide to?

80 is the speed limit for trucks, which is why the GPS says 80. But speed cameras abide by the car speed limit, so they won't catch you even if you're above the truck speed limit (but at or below the car speed limit).

In some areas of Great Britain the truck speed limit seems to be 97 km/h instead of 80.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I guess that depends on what you crash with. Against regular cars there's not really any greater risk to the driver since the difference in mass is so large in both cases. If the news here are anything to go by, truck drivers usually walk away from collisions with cars without much physical injury.

Against another truck I think your internal organs would be equally hosed by Newton's first law regardless of truck design.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

tater_salad posted:

That's the one where your truck doesn't go any faster right? The one that reminds you that a bigger engine is n3eded?

I have a drivers license so I can confirm that this is correct.

• Locked thread