Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

OB_Juan posted:

I guess it depends on the type of game your group plays. If that works where you're playing, cool.

Probably true. Less mad, more... confused, I guess?

I like technomancers, but they do start a little weak compared to deckers. They can be fun, though.

I missed the mage, what was his gimmick? Was it an addiction to Psyche?
Sams kinda need that init. Wired reflexes, and solid stats are how that happens (or that bioware version)
Riggers can get costy.

The Illusionist gimmick was making illusions and trying to fake their damage on enemies with the different stun spells. Had Focused Concentration and a bunch of Sustaining Foci to help.

Apparently it wasn't such a good idea.

OB_Juan posted:

Which do you want to play?

Like I said, I'd kinda like to try a Rigger/Street Samurai combo, someone who can either use drones or fight directly with drone backup.

What can I say? Robot Masterminds were awesome in City of Villains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

BenRGamer posted:

fight directly with drone backup.

That ain't gonna work without a dedicated security decker, because while you're engaged in glorious combat, their tech guy is putting markers all over everything and is about to spoof a command to shoot you with your own drones. Unless you're running security for your drones (which means being in the matrix) drones are very, very vulnerable.

If you want to just be a rigger and your own security decker, that's not even super hard. Max logic, consider taking 'even higher logic' and slap that +2 logic thingamie on top. Grab some ranks in Pilot (favored drone type) and then grab and equip, oh, six drones, buy a perception autosoft, a gunnery autosoft for each type of gun you use, and at least one rotodrone with a grenade launcher. Take a moderate deck and dump firewall (your RCC provides this) and stealth, because you won't be infiltrating other's computers. Grab only combat programs---you can pick up others once you're in play and get some money, so your character has room to grow quickly, which is nice. Don't forget to put smartlinks on everything and to buy a rigger command console, and the rest of the build's your own.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

SUCKING DICKS AND SQUEEZING TITTIES
Control rig reflexes body and I guess agi as high as you can. Get your rcc. Wired reflexes. Specialize in a single drone so as to not spread points on skills to thin. You will be fine in a fight, just armor up via armor boosted cyber hands.

Also Mogol the enemy decker will have a bitch of a time doing that because of the firewall on your rcc.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Be sure to take Gunner skill.

Also a flydrone or three, they're fun.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

gently caress it, I will just build a decent one real quick.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

dirtycajun posted:

Also Mogol the enemy decker will have a bitch of a time doing that because of the firewall on your rcc.

You've still gotta keep an eye on 'em, which means being in the matrix and not punching baddies.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
For your first character it's probably a good idea to not do a crazy idea like an illusionist mage or drone rigger. Stick with "guy with gun" until you know how the game works, otherwise your team will hate you because you'll be bogging the game down with too many "let me check the book, I have no idea how to do this" moments.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

Mystic Mongol posted:

You've still gotta keep an eye on 'em, which means being in the matrix and not punching baddies.

You don't have to keep an eye on them, your firewall will be pretty drat good. Shoot poo poo every day. Drones providing suppressive fire is pretty great while I am thinking about it.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

That's what augmented reality is for. If you have the meatspace initiative to match your matrix one, like a streetsam is likely to have, you lose almost nothing for staying in AR instead of VR and can keep an eye on your matrix poo poo while you're kicking rear end.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Laphroaig posted:

Ok? For your game, obviously wetwork and combats are infrequent. In other games and other formats, like Shadowrun Missions, there is always 1 combat per module, and generally these things are well written so there is a variety of ways to approach a problem [...] I don't think anyone will criticize you for making a Pure Mage or Pure Decker [...]
My games have regular combats, thanks for playing. The difference was that everyone can fight. The mage could stunbolt people or bring spirits to bear while having tolerable defenses, the rigger had steel lynx's and rotodrones with which to rain death, and I believe even the face had Improved Reflexes 2 and a combat skill at 6 by the end of the campaign. The only person who had Hardware skill was the adept, so if there was a maglock they needed to quietly crack (maglock passkey's are really unreliable), he was The Man. But if someone needed killin', well, everyone could do that.

Yes, people will absolutely criticize you for a "pure decker". If the mission is a bug hunt and you have 2 agility and no combat skills, what exactly are you going to do? Or let's look at the SR4 Mission's module Something Completely Different.

Scene 1: Nothing for a hacker to do.
Scene 2: There are things to hack, but it doesn't matter unless the group goes completely off the rails and skips 3/4 of the module; as-written, that's a very serious risk.
Scene 3: Nothing for a hacker to do.
Scene 4: Nothing for a hacker to do.
Scene 5: The Hacker gets a chance to shine! The session grinds to a halt while the hacker and GM try to explain the Matrix rules to the rest of the group that are all suddenly forced to deal with it. However, the scene can also be completed without a hacker.
Scene 6: Nothing for a hacker to do.
Scene 7: Nothing for a hacker to do.

So if you can't contribute to any minigame but hack, you will spend most of the mission playing Angry Birds on your phone. How fun.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

Gobbeldygook posted:

My games have regular combats, thanks for playing. The difference was that everyone can fight. The mage could stunbolt people or bring spirits to bear while having tolerable defenses, the rigger had steel lynx's and rotodrones with which to rain death, and I believe even the face had Improved Reflexes 2 and a combat skill at 6 by the end of the campaign. The only person who had Hardware skill was the adept, so if there was a maglock they needed to quietly crack (maglock passkey's are really unreliable), he was The Man. But if someone needed killin', well, everyone could do that.

Yes, people will absolutely criticize you for a "pure decker". If the mission is a bug hunt and you have 2 agility and no combat skills, what exactly are you going to do? Or let's look at the SR4 Mission's module Something Completely Different.

Scene 1: Nothing for a hacker to do.
Scene 2: There are things to hack, but it doesn't matter unless the group goes completely off the rails and skips 3/4 of the module; as-written, that's a very serious risk.
Scene 3: Nothing for a hacker to do.
Scene 4: Nothing for a hacker to do.
Scene 5: The Hacker gets a chance to shine! The session grinds to a halt while the hacker and GM try to explain the Matrix rules to the rest of the group that are all suddenly forced to deal with it. However, the scene can also be completed without a hacker.
Scene 6: Nothing for a hacker to do.
Scene 7: Nothing for a hacker to do.

So if you can't contribute to any minigame but hack, you will spend most of the mission playing Angry Birds on your phone. How fun.

In 5e you can basically hack drat near everything BUT a spirit. Just a thought for a wireless world.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Why would you run a bug hunt with absolutely nothing to hack if one of the characters in your group was a pure decker? That sort of seems like questionable mission design.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

dirtycajun posted:

In 5e you can basically hack drat near everything BUT a spirit. Just a thought for a wireless world.

When I say nothing to do, I mean nothing to do. Scene 1 is the Johnson Meet and there's nothing to do but talk. Scene 2 takes place in meatspace but nothing that's hackable affects the outcome of the run unless the group decides to derail the run. In scene 3, the the only enemies are spirits. Scenes 4, 6, and 7 take place in the metaplanes where there are no commlinks, no wireless, nothing. Scene 5 is also in the metaplanes but it's a special metaplane with stuff to hack.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
What skills should I really take? I see all the skills available and wind up wanting to spend way more skill points than I should.

Aside from the obvious Piloting Ground/Air, Gunnery, and a couple of combat skills (probably Automatics and Unarmed). Should I take the Engineering skill group, for example? Or Cybercombat, or what?

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 23, 2013

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Are there any reliable and good ways to commit suicide if you're captured/disabled as an awakened and can't install a cranial bomb or any other ware? Preferably not killing anyone nearby. Poison might be impossible (unless you can burn edge to auto-fail a roll or something).

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

This is my first pass at the combat rigging monster. Please alert me of mistakes, chances there are some in resources. There is room for lots of more crazy stuff because I didn't use much floating karma so you can feel free to make this yours however you see fit. You are not THE frontline combat guy, but you can scout via drones, provide suppressive fire, and take 19 dice pot shots with a smartlinked warhawk. Your defense is pretty great, rolling 17 dice to make shooting miss you and can willpower to 20 and still have 5 edge to survive with. Armor is not the highest because I haven't really optimized this thing but at damage resist tests at 23 dice you should be doing all right. Initiative is at 17+3d6 outside of the matrix so minimum 3 passes unless you roll 3 1's.

So have at him or her. It should be fun!

code:
Human Street Sam Rigger

Priorities:
Attributes	B
Resources	A
Magic		E
Skills		C
Metatype	D

Attributes:
Body		5
Reaction	7 (12)
Agility		1 (9 for your sweet pistol shooting)
Strength	1
Willpower	3
Logic		5 (7)
Intuition	5
Charisma	1
Essence		0.015
Edge		5
Magic		0

Qualities:
Resources x10		10
Exceptional Attribute	14

Skills:
Gunnery				6
Perception (urban)		6 (9 on visuals)
Pilot Aircraft (remote)		6
Pistol (Heavy)			6
Pilot Groundcraft		1
Engineering Skill Group		2

Cyberware:
Wired Reflexes (2)		149,000		3
Alphaware Control Rig (1)	51,600		.8
Cyberhand x1			48,500		.25
	+3 armor, agility 9
Cerebral booster (2)		63,000		.4
Used Reaction Enhancers (3)	29,250		1.125
Alphaware Smartlink		4,800		.16
Orthoskin (1)			6,000		.25

RCC:
Vulcan Liegelord RCC		66,000

IDs:
Fake SIn (4)			10,000
Liscences (4) x6?		4,800

Drones:
Roto-drone			10,000
	+2 weapon slots
Microskimmer x1			1,000	

Programs:
Manuever Rotodrone (6)		3,000
Targeting (Ares Alpha) (6)	3,000
Manuever Microskimmer (6) x1	3,000
Microskimmer Stealth (6)	3,000
Encryption			80
Signal Scrubber			80
Wrapper				250

Guns:
Ares Alpha x2			5,300
Super Warhawk			800 
	w/internal smart gun

Ammo:
Explosive x20			1,600

Armor:
Armor Jacket			1,000
Helmet				2,100
	thermographic, vision enhance (3)

Tools:
Aircraft fixing tools		250

Lifestyle:
Squatter x1 month		500

Starting Nuyen 90+(2d6x40)

dirtycajun fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 23, 2013

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Poil posted:

Are there any reliable and good ways to commit suicide if you're captured/disabled as an awakened and can't install a cranial bomb or any other ware? Preferably not killing anyone nearby. Poison might be impossible (unless you can burn edge to auto-fail a roll or something).

Eh, could have a suicide pill in a false tooth if poison's not impossible? Tooth compartments don't cost any essence at all, so that should be fine.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

dirtycajun posted:

This is my first pass at the combat rigging monster. Please alert me of mistakes, chances there are some in resources. There is room for lots of more crazy stuff because I didn't use much floating karma so you can feel free to make this yours however you see fit. You are not THE frontline combat guy, but you can scout via drones, provide suppressive fire, and take 19 dice pot shots with a smartlinked warhawk. Your defense is pretty great, rolling 17 dice to make shooting miss you and can willpower to 20 and still have 5 edge to survive with. Armor is not the highest because I haven't really optimized this thing but at damage resist tests at 23 dice you should be doing all right. Initiative is at 17+3d6 outside of the matrix so minimum 3 passes unless you roll 3 1's.

Neat, but how do you keep and repair drones as a squatter? :v:

BenRGamer posted:

Eh, could have a suicide pill in a false tooth if poison's not impossible? Tooth compartments don't cost any essence at all, so that should be fine.
Hmmm, I suppose it might work but might not. Can you fit enough explosives to shred your brain in one? Or maybe connect several?

PierreTheMime posted:

Astrally project and go find yourself an astral predator. If you're not a full magician then there's not much you can do if you're tied up and have a blind on.
Interesting idea. Assuming a mage, could you summon up a powerful spirit and make it attack you? Would you even need to bind it or would it be enough to throw a spell at it right away?

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 23, 2013

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Poil posted:

Astrally project and go find yourself an astral predator. If you're not a full magician then there's not much you can do if you're tied up and have a blind on.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

If you use that build I recommend squeezing some grenades for the alpha's in there and stick and shock ammo. I'd fix it but I think I am going to stop looking at my computer screen for a bit...

Poil posted:

You use your handy toolkit. I even included it :v:

edit: oh god add a rating 6 respirator some how. Those are important...

dirtycajun fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 23, 2013

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

double post

dirtycajun fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 23, 2013

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Poil posted:

Hmmm, I suppose it might work but might not. Can you fit enough explosives to shred your brain in one? Or maybe connect several?

Interesting idea. Assuming a mage, could you summon up a powerful spirit and make it attack you? Would you even need to bind it or would it be enough to throw a spell at it right away?

If you're able to cast, why not just chain cast spells until you drain yourself into a lifeless husk?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cabbit posted:

If you're able to cast, why not just chain cast spells until you drain yourself into a lifeless husk?
Too obvious. And doesn't help adepts in any way. drat mages, having all the good stuff.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

dirtycajun posted:

How do you have Agility 9 in one Cyberhand? I thought it was only 1 Agi per Rating, capped at 3.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

BenRGamer posted:

How do you have Agility 9 in one Cyberhand? I thought it was only 1 Agi per Rating, capped at 3.

You start at 3, add 3 to your normal cap. Then 3 more from enhancement.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
You can't fit 9 agility and 3 armor in a cyberhand though, sadly.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

You can't fit 9 agility and 3 armor in a cyberhand though, sadly.

drat, I knew I missed a thing..

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

dirtycajun posted:

You start at 3, add 3 to your normal cap. Then 3 more from enhancement.

I mean, I know that cyberlimbs have a default 3 Str/Agi, and I know that you can get +3 from enhancements, but that's still just 6, isn't it?

I dunno where the last 3 points of Agi are coming from for Agi 9, or is that just the cap on Agi?

Sorry, I'm still very new to Shadowrun.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Bigass Moth posted:

1. 26 attribute points, so I guess you bought up a dump stat which you blasted me for suggesting previously.
2. Skills a couple 6s and then a ton of 1s (i.e. a very narrow focus combat monster), you know, the exact same thing you said I was sperging out for suggesting.
3. Cheesy as hell Negative Qualities (Weak Immune System, mild addiction to drugs, Bad Rep).
4. My point was asking if you could make a sam that can do something an adept can't, and you didn't show me that.

Are you incapable of seeing characters beyond stat blocks?

1) Please by all means quote where I said buying a dump stat is bad. Seriously. You're just making poo poo up now.

2)Her skills are perfectly fine. She's great at shooting, great at B&E, while standoffish she can still typically manage a conversation, she can repair almost all her own gear and use the Matrix adequately. Remember, dice pool of 3 (what I use for charisma rolls) is an average of one hit, and a dice pool of 4 allows you to buy 1 hit when in a non-stressed environment.

3) All of her negative qualities are a part of her character. She's used to the rich and carefree lifestyle so she's started getting addicted to party and clubbing drugs, and this character is rather unlikely to stay at Mild. Bad Rep is absolutely a big deal if people actually play it up. The only one I'd say is vaguely cheesy is Weak Immune System, but it's described quite literally as the thing heavily 'wared characters have, so I thought it'd be fitting for a cyber sammy.

4) Do you have aspergers in real life? My point was "you are too overspecialized and you don't need to be the best in the universe at one thing" and your response was "BUT MATHEMATICALLY...!" My point is that you aren't making real characters, and your response is "But your character sheet isn't bleeding edge optimized to my standards...!"

Keep in mind, this is the character I actually play in a game. What about you? Where are your stat blocks? You talk big game but you've yet to show characters of your own. I don't see you in any games, either.

Like I said. A bunch of spherical cows.

Laphroaig posted:

You're not at Dumpshock, we're all not the one dude at RPG.net. I've seen many characters at Missions play so far (granted I've only GM'ed 7 sessions of 5E Missions now), and so far much of the gameplay advice is toxic adversarial bullshit.

At what point do I declare a character free of the "I inflict bullshit on you, specifically, because I don't like your build" mandate? Do I just gently caress the run for everyone at the table, and say to myself, "Good job, you really punished CyberMurderDwarf2000k/Strength1ElfMage/Charisma2Decker by forcing him to make and flub that <blank> roll, too bad that for the punishment to matter it had to effect the run, and hence everyone else in the group. I bet they learned not to game with that guy again." (HINT: They learned not to let the GM be their GM again.)

If I want to highlight "Cybermurderdwarf, you have no social skills" I can complicate life for the character, but ultimately its not going to effect the rest of the run, because its a spoiler for everyone else otherwise. It has to somehow be specific to that character, and in general, I have to be the one to instigate something and ask for a check. The character with terrible skills in regards to a task is not going to be volunteering to take it on.

I can highlighting weaknesses in character which can lead to great roleplay and is fun for the table, but so far all of the advice was of the "gently caress that guy." nature; that is just really terrible advice.

So I should just ignore any and all character flaws and consistently lob easy hits to the players and never challenge them, otherwise I'm being OH NO ADVERSARIAL!

Absurd.

If you make a character with giant glaring weaknesses, guess what? That's a part of your character. Charisma 1 is no less off limits then Strength 10. In both cases you are making a statement about your character. "I am very good at being a giant mass of muscle - I want to use this in game." "I am literally incapable of talking to people coherently - this should also come up in game."

Mystic Mongol posted:

Logic 3 and Charisma 3 are not meaningfully better than Logic 1 and Charisma 1. Why do people have to buy them up?

If you have Charisma 1 and no social dice you are literally incapable of talking coherently. If you have Logic 3 and no tech skill dice, you are literally incapable of using electronics. What kind of character is that?

You can't loving dump all your stats and then get mad when people point out that you've dumped all your stats.

Rockopolis posted:

Just how dim/ugly are you with 1 logic/charisma?
I'd always assumed you were completely and utterly awful. Like, worse than a goon. Like having to deal with :tvtropes: constantly?

Edit
Like, people (Johnsons and Contacts ans everyone) will try to sabotage you or half rear end things because you're just that irritating.

Having a stat at 1 means you are very literally incapable of using the skills in that stat if you default, since you default down to zero dice. That means you are physically incapable of using any of your social skills. Charisma 1 means you can never convince someone of anything, lie meaningfully, lead others, perform in any way, or even act polite. Logic 1 means you are incapable of using any electronics - posting pictures of cats on the internet is beyond you, you fail at any and all academic knowledge checks, and you may as well be unable to read.

Logic 1 means you are severely mentally deficient. Charisma 1 means you are incapable of holding a conversation.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

ProfessorCirno posted:

If you have Charisma 1 and no social dice you are literally incapable of talking coherently. If you have Logic 3 and no tech skill dice, you are literally incapable of using electronics. What kind of character is that?

You can't loving dump all your stats and then get mad when people point out that you've dumped all your stats.

Having a stat at 1 means you are very literally incapable of using the skills in that stat if you default, since you default down to zero dice. That means you are physically incapable of using any of your social skills. Charisma 1 means you can never convince someone of anything, lie meaningfully, lead others, perform in any way, or even act polite. Logic 1 means you are incapable of using any electronics - posting pictures of cats on the internet is beyond you, you fail at any and all academic knowledge checks, and you may as well be unable to read.

Logic 1 means you are severely mentally deficient. Charisma 1 means you are incapable of holding a conversation.

Don't make up rules.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Mystic Mongol posted:

Don't make up rules.

If your dice pool is zero, you can't roll because your dice pool is zero. You have no dice to roll. If your stat is 1 and you have no skill, you default (-1 to dice pool) and simply automatically fail at those tests unless you have net positive modifiers or spend Edge.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Mystic Mongol posted:

Don't make up rules.

If you have a stat at 1, your default dice is 0. That's not a made up rule. If you have Charisma 1 then any time you try to use a social skill you fail before you even begin. You literally cannot succeed at a social skill. Ever. You are physically incapable of succeeding in any social skill.

Look, my position is "I expect people to actually play out having the lowest charisma or logic physically possible" and yours is "Making people actually play out the stats they gave themselves is mean." One of us is being utterly ridiculousness, and I have a feeling it's not the guy expecting people play by the rules or actually roleplay.

Edit: It's either a weakness or free points. And every single GM out there should count it as a weakness rather then free points.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 24, 2013

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Okay, I'm making up my character sheet now. What skill do I need to help keep my drones from getting hacked?

To contribute to the present conversation, though, what does it mean when someone has both Charisma 1 and Uncouth? That's the plan so far with this guy. I even also picked Bad Rep because of it, 'He's F@$%in Crazy!'

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Holy poo poo you guys are loving angry about RULES

I thought we were supposed to talk about the game and how we play it and swap cool stories about runs and complain about GMs/being GMs and generally be chill about a loving pen and paper game we all love.

Instead everyone's sniping at each other over stupid loving nuances that will be resolved at table anyway. Holy gently caress.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

ProfessorCirno posted:

If you have a stat at 1, your default dice is 0. That's not a made up rule. If you have Charisma 1 then any time you try to use a social skill you fail before you even begin. You literally cannot succeed at a social skill. Ever. You are physically incapable of succeeding in any social skill.

Look, my position is "I expect people to actually play out having the lowest charisma or logic physically possible" and yours is "Making people actually play out the stats they gave themselves is mean." One of us is being utterly ridiculousness, and I have a feeling it's not the guy expecting people play by the rules or actually roleplay.

You've conflated, "Can't succeed at a challenging check," with, "Literally unable to communicate," which is inaccurate and unsupported by the actual rules of the actual game which we are supposedly discussing. You are doing this because you can't actually come up with a situation where a player desperately, badly needs to get exactly one success on a logic or charisma check, because situations where you need successes like that have higher thresholds--you need to actually beat someone at a charisma check, for example, which means unless you're engaging in high-stakes negotiation with an unattended vending machine I don't hold much for your chances. Instead you're coming up with excuses to punish a player for not building their character poorly, which is adversarial GMing at its finest.

Logic 1 isn't brain-damaged, Charisma 1 isn't compulsive Tourettes, and the rules don't suggest otherwise anywhere.

And even if you could come up with a situation where you badly need that single hit, well, that's what edge is for, unexpected little surprises. Everyone should get lots of edge, edge is sweet. It's certainly better than lowering a useful stat to raise another from completely useless to still completely useless.

BenRGamer posted:

To contribute to the present conversation, though, what does it mean when someone has both charisma 1 and Uncouth? That's the plan so far with this guy. I even also picked Bad Rep because of it, 'He's F@$%in Crazy!'

That's much closer to a furious semi-coherent monster. Honestly Uncouth is a pretty poo poo disadvantage, because no one who throws points into Charisma is going to take it and no one who doesn't is meaningfully affected by it.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 24, 2013

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

BenRGamer posted:

Okay, I'm making up my character sheet now. What skill do I need to help keep my drones from getting hacked?

To contribute to the present conversation, though, what does it mean when someone has both Charisma 1 and Uncouth? That's the plan so far with this guy. I even also picked Bad Rep because of it, 'He's F@$%in Crazy!'

Your standard goon :smaug:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Mystic Mongol posted:

You've conflated, "Can't succeed at a challenging check," with, "Literally unable to communicate," which is inaccurate and unsupported by the actual rules of the actual game which we are supposedly discussing. You are doing this because you can't actually come up with a situation where a player desperately, badly needs to get exactly one success on a logic or charisma check, because situations where you need successes like that have higher thresholds--you need to actually beat someone at a charisma check, for example, which means unless you're engaging in high-stakes negotiation with an unattended vending machine I don't hold much for your chances. Instead you're coming up with excuses to punish a player for not building their character poorly, which is adversarial GMing at its finest.

Logic 1 isn't brain-damaged, Charisma 1 isn't compulsive Tourettes, and the rules don't suggest otherwise anywhere.

And even if you could come up with a situation where you badly need that single hit, well, that's what edge is for, unexpected little surprises. Everyone should get lots of edge, edge is sweet. It's certainly better than lowering a useful stat to raise another from completely useless to still completely useless.

You're right. Being phyically incapable of succeeding in etiquette totally means your character is well balanced and able to hold conversations with what the gently caress am I saying?

Know what? Here. I'll ask you directly: should a stat at 1 be a weakness, or should it be free points?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

ProfessorCirno posted:

You're right. Being phyically incapable of succeeding in etiquette totally means your character is well balanced and able to hold conversations with what the gently caress am I saying?

Know what? Here. I'll ask you directly: should a stat at 1 be a weakness, or should it be free points?

Neither. It is an asset you haven't bought and points you haven't spent.

Your attributes aren't weaknesses, they're tools, and if you have a 1 in a score the 'weakness' is that you can't use that attribute meaningfully. If you aren't interested in that attribute, don't take it.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Mystic Mongol posted:

Neither. It is an asset you haven't bought and points you haven't spent.

Is it free points or a weakness?

If it's "an asset you haven't bought and points you haven't spent" then they are free points. Don't get all weaselly.

Just say: free points or a weakness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

ProfessorCirno posted:

Just say: free points or a weakness?

Still neither.