Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Hypha posted:

What is the correct way to style a campaign? I was under the impression that combat was something to avoid unless the odds are stacked heavily in your favour. A parallel I am thinking of is like Thief, where entering combat usually meant you restarted. The example scenario in the quick rules though heavily implies combat will be involved and much of the rules involve combat. I thought combat was this hyper lethal thing or are just the more interesting scenarios the ones which put combat roles more to the side?

Kai Tave posted:

The answer is there is no right answer. Which is a lovely non-answer but the truth of the matter is "should Shadowrun be a game of stealthy, low-profile operators ghosting through security and slipping out like the wind, careful not to trigger a single alarm or alert a single guard or you might as well consider the mission blown or should I bring the plastic explosives or the missile launcher, gently caress it I'll bring both" is a debate (and frequently an argument) that has gone on at least since I was first into Shadowrun which is coming up on 15 years and three editions ago now.

Whether combat is a good idea is going to depend heavily on the GM, the sort of game he's interested in running, and possibly how clever/sadistic the GM is feeling. Combat in Shadowrun can be dangerous, especially to characters not crunched for maximum killosity, but it's not even so much "this one particular fight might be the end of you" as "if you go around shooting the poo poo out of things you can expect the situation to escalate rapidly." Killing average corp security jockeys may not present a terrific challenge, but dealing with an elite corporate rapid response team could be a serious threat. Start a running gun battle in the middle of the city and you can expect Lone Star or Knight Errant to start deploying SWAT teams once you hit four stars.

It's often a good idea not to go in guns blazing unless your aim is wanton destruction; discretion isn't just safer, it's also cheaper and a lot of 'runners are motivated by the bottom line. But if a fight breaks out it shouldn't be the end of the world, and having some crazy gunfights isn't a guaranteed recipe for instant character death provided they're doing sensible things like wearing armor, taking cover, looking for opportunities to fight dirty, making use of things like covering fire, etc.

Broadly speaking, Shadowrun tends to fall into two camps. "Mirrorshades" is the name for Shadowrun games or players that like to play as cool, cold hearted professionals, who are in it for the money. They sperg out a lot of tactical - and venture into tacticool - bullshit and come up with the DM vs Players cold war you see occasionally. "Pink Mohawk" is for games or players that are the opposite - they're loud, proud, and full of attitude. They're the ones who tend to like the kinda dumb and super cheesy old edition slang. The former group is more likely to vomit out words like "Verisimilitude" and "simulation of the setting" in terms of Shadowrun, the later group is more likely to yell "HO CHUMMER" and attach a minigun to their van.

A lot of conflict in 5e from what I've seen is basically from mirrorshades throwing a bit whiny bitch fit that 5e isn't just catering to them. SR4 made a lot of changes and is sort of the bizarro odd one out in Shadowrun, and SR5 is trying to bridge the gap, but bow howdy are they getting their poo poo in a bunch over the thought of the rules not being a perfect 1:1 with the game setting (not that it ever was before, much less in their own edition of choice).

Also I am biased towards pink mohawk so take all this with some salt.

While "how many fights should I have" doesn't fall directly into this, overall campaign building should note what your players want from the game. If they're in this to be 80's-esque semi-anti-heros who know they could make more money doing something else but more just want to stick it to the man, the campaign would run very differently from a group of consummate professionals who are in this for the cold hard cash. The former is more likely to have big, bombastic fights then the latter, while the latter is more likely to have small, localized fights (if not just assassinations).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Adepts vs sammies:

In general I honestly thing sammies will still have the upper hand throughout the game. The big difference is that skills go much higher now and 'ware costs more; previously, adepts would begin much weaker then sammies due to the cost of Magic ad due to starting the game at more or less max skills. The Priority system makes the two far more balanced; sammies want high Resources, adepts want high Magic. Sammies are no longer capped in karma - skills go higher then 6. Beyond that, 'ware and adept powers aren't straight down the same; sammies tend to be better at increasing their core physical stats, adepts are better at increasing initiative; sammies get armor faster and better, adepts improve their dodging better; etc. I think the angst over cyber samurai is that in 4e they were cybergods capable of fulfilling any role, and then fulfilling another role alongside it. SR5 is like previous Shadowrun editions - you have an archtype. An archtype. If you try to do everything with your sammie, yeah, you're gonna fall behind. If you focus exclusively on being a gunbunny, I think you'll end up doing pretty drat well for yourself, and not falling behind the adept who has always had to specialize.

Deckers vs technomancers:

Deckers leave technomancers far behind. Honestly it's the same problem as 4e. Technomancer abilities simply aren't that good, and they need karma for all their upgrades; nuyen is near useless for them. Deckers on the other hand improve with both karma AND nuyen, and they don't need as many skills as technomancers have. Decks are all but guaranteed to be better the living personas. And decks can even do a ton of poo poo now that technomancers couldn't, like slave devices or run programs.

Right now the only major niche I see for technomancer is "secondary decker," which is a very poor niche altogether.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
So, I got a question: What's going on with Horizon?

Last I checked their whole Consensus program was starting to get dramatically out of hand, and the Dawkins Group (their specops squad that every corporation and every country must have) was beginning to target Jackpoint and it's Runners. SR5's core book has close to no fluff. I know it was hinted that Horizon had some horrible dark secret, and I assume it wasn't "they have an organization of terrifyingly effective social adepts" or "their corporate culture is really creepy."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I actually really liked Horizon. I like the idea of a corp who doesn't use the same playbook the other AAA's do - and that's what lets them become a AAA. I like the idea of a corp who doesn't work by strongarming local governments but instead sleazes their way inside so that the top officials of the NAN and Tir and god knows who else all have Horizon at the top of their call list. I like the idea of a AAA who legitimately thinks they're the moral good guys and that only drives them to do more terrible things. I like the idea of a AAA who actually realizes that the better their perception outside of their own corporation, the more people will want to use their product, stick their name ON their products, or, in extreme cases, will reach out to Horizon for extraction. The idea that Horizon is pointless because "nobody has a choice" makes me scratch my head. Did you miss that one of the points of Shadowrun is that the corporations are all pushing each other for power in a world of torn nations? Countries still exists! Hell, Seattle is proof that people drat well still have choices! The idea that nobody ever has choices removes Runners, because it means corporations can never jockey for power amongst themselves.

The whole point of Horizon is that the big dumb always grim and evil AAA's don't need to be literally every single AAA. As Kai said, I like the idea of one AAA being more or less Evil Creepy Google. And that was Horizon's thing - they weren't as grim evil as some of the other corps, they weren't doing blood magic or chopping off the tops of technomancer heads, but they were creepy and sleazy. They're the LA image corp. MCT is kidnapping or buying technomancers to vivisect because, hey, we're a major computer company, it helps to know how they work. Horizon skips that and several other steps and arrives solely at "No, we don't need to know how they work, we just need them to work for us and nobody else." Horizon is just super long term planning, which is what helps make them so creepy and sleazy. Intentionally poisoning international relations and corporate relations against technomancers secrelty while drumming up their own public image of being technomancer friendly openly - all for the same of "owning" the technomancer population psychologically? That's super loving sleazy! And it also super fits in Shadowrun!

I mean, we HAVE a AAA for evil warlocks in Aztec. We HAVE the GUNS, BULLETS, AND MURICA corp. We have the dragon corp. What would making Horizon just another "We make a ton of poo poo, also we're evil" corp add? Having Horizon be the creepy ones fit perfectly, and it presented a threat that Shadowrun had always ignored, and it's a really effective threat. You fear Renraku because their Red Samurai will destroy anything that trespasses, and because they have dedicated files to every time you did a Run against them. You fear Aztec because they are literal blood warlocks poisoning the planet. You fear Tir Ghosts and NAN Wildcats and UCAS SEALs because they're the best spec-ops teams out there.

You fear Horizon's Dawkins Group because what if they're your best friends and you never knew it?

What Horizon gives to Shadowrun is pure paranoia. Their elite team is decent enough at killing, but what they specialize in is information and espionage. Horizon has a niche that nobody else was going into. I've been using the word "creepy" a lot because that's how Horizon ends up. Runners know that AAA levels by just being nice, and yet Horizon seems to be all happiness and good vibrations - which makes them that much more unsettling. Horizon is the corp where the wage slaves are all smiles about their job, going on corporate outings and talking up the corporate culture, and you know something has to be below the surface. They're the corp where people hire you to extract them into Horizon.

They're also the corp where, if a Run against Horizon labs or offices go bad, all of a sudden all those nice, smiling, friendly people get firearms and self defense training injected straight into their skillwire, and now the entire building is made of gunmen. Where you get a hit set on you and not one person personally made that decision - it was simply brought out as will of group think. That's really creepy! At least when a Mr Johnson betrays you, you know it's that guy who did it.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Rockopolis posted:

I thought SK was basically, boring, but crazy powerful. Not everyone needs a shtick.

I'm more curious about #10, actually. Wuxing the Mystical Chinese megacorp. There's not a lot about them, is there?
Heh, do they have some sort of Lo Pan equivalent to Aztechnology blood magic?
Are their sites guarded by hopping zombies or bunraku equivalents?

Wuxing is kinda funny; there was a lot of fuss and they made sort of a thing about building them up as a corp that was going to start making some major waves, they got a bunch of artifacts from Dunks, and then...nothing happened. They were either forgotten or the crew that was building them up left Shadowrun, probably during the whole..."Troubles."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Davin Valkri posted:

Why can't Shadowrun ever be about nice people? :(

Is "everybody is a bad person, almost certainly including you" part of the appeal of the game? Because I thought the genre in general has moved more towards "things are bad but still possibly salvagable" as the prevailing mood.

As always, depends on your style. My personal style is most definitely in the "Most everybody is either a bad person or a dumb sheep except you, so it's time you strapped your gun on and made a difference. If the corps are going to pay you to attack the corp, all the better." It's not that the common populace is bad, they're just hosed and don't know any better. It's up to the PCs to be the ones who make a difference.

I've been thinking of running an SR game that cuts though and goes pure heroic. Maybe once SR5 gets a supplement and errata.

It's interesting to note that, a I recall, karma previously was not "experience" in the same way it is in SR4 and SR5. Previously, again to my understanding (and correct me if I'm wrong), it reflected it's namesake far more. You got karma when you explicitly did good deeds.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

PeterWeller posted:

What's the story with the introductory box? I haven't seen any details on what it contains, and I am interested in a product that could actually introduce new players to the game because it is hard as hell with just one copy of the core rules.

"Still being made." They've very tight lipped on it a I believe it's almost ready for release.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
So far it's been really challenging to not to go human for literally everyone. In SR4 humans were more or less the worst. Now they might be the best.

Human A is of course useless for a non-magical non-techno unless you take Lucky, but I don't doubt that we might see a new rendition of Mr Lucky sooner or later.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I'll have a bigger post to come later but I think I found why a lot of people in Dumpshock or the Shadowrun forums are whinging about adepts being superpowered and sammies being superweak. Namely they're loving stupid and ignore the actual rules.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Been toying around a bit with chargen. What I've found:

* Melee is better coming from SR4 but guns still rule the roost unless you go for ork or troll bruiser. I like my human adept, but, without methods of raising weapon damage outside of strength, 9P is only just above most heavy pistol damage, and that's after near max strength and an adept power to boost it further. This may change once combat starts, however, due to melee giving penalties to shoot people and melee having options to prevent others from getting away or doing other stuff. Additionally, once I start raising Strength, it will hit rifle levels. With care and dedication and a lot of strength additions, it can finally hit sniper levels. Guns don't need any of that they just loving shoot you in the face gently caress you.
* 'Ware is still unquestionably the best path to go for raising stats. I can very easily still see many adepts being very strongly tempted by losing a point of essence for some muscle toner or similar.
* What stops adept supremacy is foci addiction. If your total foci focus is greater then your Magic, you start to grow addicted. This is very loving important for balance - and indeed, I think you'll see a lot of foci addiction in SR5 as people start to give in to the desire for more power. Which, hey, mirrors the addiction itself quite nicely, I suppose.
* Adepts need high Magic, sammies need high Resources. I think the uber Adepts and weako sammies is just a fad people are going through, and making these characters help fuel that thought. I think in the end it will be sammies that pull ahead, not adepts, simply because the significantly higher skill caps means sammies can (albeit slowly) build up their skills past 6 AND continue to buy 'ware, while adepts are still sorta stuck with mostly raising their initiation through karma (unless they really fancy foci addition).
* Sammies, more then adepts, are sorta hurt by the lack of splats. Right now there's just not a whole lot of cool, inventive 'ware. They have the basics, sure, but adepts have a lot more "fun" stuff then sammies do.
* "Attribute at A, <focus> at B, Skills at C" seems to be a thing of mine. Maybe one day I'll try an Ork or Troll.
* The big thing adepts have out of chargen is speed. It is substantially easier for adepts to get initiative boosters to level three then sammies - hell, with the sammy, I ended up just taking it to 1! This is especially good for melee adepts, as they have that extra initiative to do all their melee poo poo with.
* Used 'ware makes a major difference! SR5 Missions FAQ has already stated it's allowable so nyeah. You generally seem to want to mix Alpha with Used and have like nothing at Standard unless you absolutely must - Used is good for the super nuyen expensive poo poo, Alpha for the super essence expensive poo poo. I mean, most essence hungry items are ALSO nuyen hungry, but in those cases I lean towards spending less essence.
* Gear remains bar none THE longest element in character creation
* Cyber sammy creation is very different in SR5. In SR4, you started with all your 'ware. Maybe not at max level or whatever, but you'd start with muscle toner 2 and your pheremones and everything. In SR5 you're much more likely to start with a few things...and a list in your head of what's next to come.
* Non-humans need more stuff. Because with all the other categories there are such dramatic differences between the different priorities, it becomes almost a given that you end up as a human - you can have them at E or D no problem, and STILL end up with a moderately decent amount of Edge (non-magic humans start with 5!). Non-humans in contrast simply cost too much and give too little.
* I still hate how cyberlimbs work.
* SPECIALIZE! Don't try to be equally good at shooting people in the face AND <another thing>. Accept that shooting people in the face is going to be a stark and perhaps even distant secondary if you want to be, say, the Face.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Bigass Moth posted:

Used bioware needs an eratta badly - I refuse to believe you can install someone else's Bone Density, for example, and all cultured bioware is made specifically for you so there should be no Used option.

I find it difficult to believe that "used bioware" cannot be a thing in a setting where organlegging is such a big deal.

Cultured, totally, no used bioware there. But that's the whole point - cultured bioware is created explicitly for you, tailored to you personally. Non-cultured bioware, ergo, is not specifically tailored for just one person.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Like ok fluff wise you're going to run into some issues but those issues tend to be less "bioware can't be Used" and more "this should be cultured."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Yeah, Used definitely seems to be the way to go in chargen outside one or two other things. Which fits, you know; a Runner who's starting off (in SR5, a starting character is "has done a few Runs but hasn't made a name for themselves") isn't going to be loaded to the gills in Delta, he'll have taken whatever edges they can get.

I can alternately see a sammy going with Synapses rather then Wired and going the route of cyber arms; while she can only get +3 to her agility, she can also stack +3 armor from each arm on top of that.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

The Good Professor posted:

(Crossposting this in both threads, because it's not really an edition-specific question:)

I'm really interested in Aztechnology/Aztlan, is there a sourcebook, site, or novel I should pick up to learn more about them? I know the basics, in that they're sort of like Monsanto if Monsanto also owned most of central america and tended to sacrifice unsatisfactory employees to blood spirits, but not much beyond that. I'd like something that goes as deep as possible into the lore behind them and current events around them -- for example, I have no idea what's going on in the Yucatan (can you still tan there?) or who provides security on Aztech corporate ground.

And relevant to the discussion: Used 'ware fits a starting shadowrun character really well, yes. But one thing that always sort of bothered me was that used Alphaware is exactly as good as regular off-the-shelf gear (with the same essence cost) for 90% of the price. I'm sort of astounded that nobody did anything about this in the new edition. I mean I guess it's kind of thematic that if you know what you want and can find a black clinic that happens to have the right brand of giant robot arms you can get a crazy deal, but I don't like it when there are somewhat obtuse ways to get the (mechanically) exact same thing for less money in character generation.

Used Alphaware isn't a thing. It's either Used or it's Alphaware.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Gobbeldygook posted:

"Alpha-, Beta-, and Delta-grade cyber is all custom-fitted and tailored to a specific individual, and implanting it in someone else eliminates the bonus it got for its tailored status." is at odds with previous editions. Page 32, augmentation:

A lot of module writers took advantage of this and would equip all the NPCs with betaware so PCs couldn't steal their ware.

The only change I see is that Alpha is added to the list. Don't really see it as an issue?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Martello posted:

So far I've seen nothing to convince me that 5th ed is in any way an improvement from 4th.

Whereas I find nothing in 4e other then "has a lot of splats" that makes me even consider it now. At a comparison of the core rules, 5e wins every single time.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Martello posted:

Examples?

It's a genuine question, I don't have 5e.

...So you can't think of a single reason to play 5e and you KNOW for a fact that's far worse then 4e in every way and it has no redeeming factors, also you haven't read it.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Alternately, turn off the power.

Although that being said I don't think I've ever actually seen Background Count used in a game. Uh, ever. But then, I rarely play wizards. I DID read that it was actually way more annoying in SR4, though - maybe not as powerful, but much more troublesome out of character to deal with.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Ryuujin posted:

Okay the restriction on stacking Initiative boosting augmentations, does that only matter for the +xd6 part, or also the increasing reaction part? I am wondering if an Adept can take Improved Reflexes 3 and Improved Physical Attribute Reaction 1.

Yes, but you're capped at +4 to any and all stats, so you'd take IPA: Reaction only once. The only thing that breaks this rule is wireless Reaction Boosters combined with Wired Reflexes, which can give you +6 Reaction.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

quote:

In less than a month, Shadowrun, Fifth Edition has become the best-selling PDF of all time in the more than ten years of DriveThruRPG operations, while setting the same standard for Catalyst Game Labs online store.

Additionally, the online allotment of the Shadowrun 5 Deluxe “Mayan” Limited Edition sold out in less than a week. Taking that fantastic excitement from the exploding Shadowrun community into account, Catalyst has worked with the printer to make additional Deluxe “Mayan” Editions available. We’ll have a good stock available at Gen Con, and the online bundles that include this book are available once more…while supplies last.

So...I don't want to give excuses to the horrific editing in this book, but apparently it was well worth it. I'm wondering if it's release coinciding with Shadowrun Returns has given sales a definitive boost?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Baby Babbeh posted:

So, is melee still awful and useless in 5e?

While guns are still better overall until you have high strength, melee is far from the useless garbage it was in SR4. Assuming for a 5 strength out of chargen, you'll be doing between heavy pistol and assault rifle damage with a katana. Add in strength boosting 'ware or adept powers and you can end up hitting sniper rifle levels of damage. For a completely built and juiced troll with a big fat gently caress-off axe, you can even end up hitting near rocket launcher levels of kill.

Or, you take monowhip and require none of the above, and just do insanely high damage with little to no need of boosting a secondary stat.

( Monowhips are pretty OP )

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Martello posted:

Yes.

I dunno, I loving love Neuromancer and the rest of the Sprawl Trilogy, but I see them as a product of their time. Back in the 80s there was no internet so calling it the Matrix and having "console cowboys" was cool as gently caress. Now it's loving retarded and Shadowrun made a good call by following the march of culture and technology.

My guess is that the grognard faction in Catalyst/angry Dumbshock users won and "deckers" came back. Big regression, to my mind.

I even started playing this game with 3rd editions deckers and whatnot. Still can't stand the term.

I disagree with basically all of this, and I'm someone who spent a lot of time singing the praises of SR4.

SR5 in my mind has hit that balance between the semi-unique "Shadowrun" stuff (like, well, decking) and continuing to stay futuristic enough to be "sci-fi." Wireless Matrix hasn't gone away, and the overall technology is still more advanced enough then ours to work. I've been told we'll see much more of a mix of real world cursing and old school made-up obscenities. Shadowrun has never been the "try to be realistic" cyberpunk game. And good, because that argument reeks of the immersion and verisimilitude cancer that infects the hobby.

As always, "I like the old thing" does not make someone a grognard.

I mean look at your argument. You're all het up because they used the wrong word. That, if anything, is pretty fuckin' groggy.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Here's my answer: stop playing like a bunch of antagonistic shits and make it workable with your GM if it's a problem. If you do the vest full of RFIDs the solution is "The GM tells you to stop being such an annoying little poo poo."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Conskill posted:

Just a few days ago, out in the Real World, I went through an airport security check that involved taking my shoes off, walking through a full-body imaging scanner and, the officers not satisfied with merely that, a pat-down search. All in the name of the achingly small chance I, out of millions of travelers, might be The Guy That Tries Something Stupid.

In the crime-happy dystopia of tomorrow, everything like that is jacked to 11. I can totally see obtrusive security measures being used to ward against even the possibility that someone is a Technomancer in a high-security area. Especially since the fluff continues to bang home the point that Technomancers aren't just mysterious, they're scary mysterious.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that's why technomancers are seen as so terrifying, or at least one of the big reasons: There IS no way to spot them. I'd have to read through the book again but, last I checked, there's no way to pick a technomancer out from a crowd. No way, at all. Corps like MCT have such a high bounty on technomancers because they have no way of easily filtering them out and need to rely on bounty hunters.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Gobbeldygook posted:

5 hits on an assensing test.

Which would require an average of between 15-18 in your dice pool

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Conskill posted:

Why do you assume that'd make the corporations less paranoid about them? They're so easy to miss that anyone could be a Technomancer, just like in the real-life example anyone could be the terrorist. The only way to be sure is to treat everyone as a threat, hence obtrusive security measures today that would be at least mirrored, though probably greatly expanded, in the Evil Capitalist Dystopia of Tomorrow.

I didn't say it'd make the corporations less paranoid. I said that's WHY people are so scared of them.

Misandu posted:

The thing to remember about Shadowrun is it's the Capitalist dystopia future. 99% of the time the security to thwart stuff like technomancers isn't going to be cost effective to implement so they'll just cough up the money to deal with the damages instead of spending twice as much money to prevent the problem. Now obviously that doesn't apply if we're talking something like Corp HQ or an international airport, but that's the kind of thing that should feel impossible to do a run on.

I think the real thing people are forgetting is this:

The thing to remember about Shadowrun is that Shadowrunners exist.

If you make your game set in such a way that Shadowrunners cannot exist you are very literally and objectively playing the game incorrectly.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I'm fine with "hard." It's when "impossible" is laid out that there's a problem.

I mean there's threads elswhere that people make the argument that Shadowrun would be fine if it didn't have Runners at all because it hurts their verisimilitude.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
So, has anyone tried to make a new version of Mr Lucky - a human focused first and foremost on Edge, and probably with high attributes and skills, but no magic and little to no 'ware? I remember it being a very niche thing in SR4, but with Edge being better, I'm wondering how it works now.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 15, 2013

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Er, meant 'ware. Edited! The whole point is a dude who's otherwise very mundane save for the massive amount of Edge that would more or less translate to this one completely normal dude in a group of wizards and robots who somehow manages to pull off the craziest poo poo.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Er, my main question regarding Mr Lucky was how well it works out. But it sounds like it can work out really drat well! I'd probably go Attributes A, Skills B, rather then vice versa, but overall it sounds like you can make a perfectly normal human guy with no magic and little to no augmentation, and just the biggest guts you can find, who pulls off unbelievable poo poo because he just happens to be that good and that lucky.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
So on finally buckling down and reading the foci rules, qi foci are like 300% better then I thought they are, because they give the adept somethign the adept has always lacked:

Versatility.

You can have a number of foci equal to your magic (so for the VAST majority of adepts, that's 6), each one for a different power. There's two catches. First, if the total power of your foci is greater then your Magic, you start rolling addition, so if you don't want to be addicted, chances are, your foci are going to all hold between 1-1.5 PP, depending on if you have a weapon focus too. Second, you can activate or deactivate them.

That means you want your 100% always useful, all the time powers to be the ones your Adept learns on his own, and your more situational ones on your qi foci. So take Light Body 6 - that one's perfect, it's not something you always want or need on, and it takes up precisely 1.5 PP. PERFECT for a qi focus. On the other hand, Improved Reflexes are something you likely always want - it increases a stat with a ton of uses, and it's something you want for every combat, no matter what. So that's one you'd learn as an adept.

I can see qi foci becoming more and more important as new powers are released in the inevitable Magic poo poo book to help cover the more "fun" or not always useful (but REALLY useful when they are) powers.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Bigass Moth posted:

How well it works is up to your character build, but it's important to note that Edge is STUPIDLY powerful in this edition. Using Seize the Initiative or Blitz on any combat removes the need to IP boosting ware, and lets you do fun stuff like take cover immediately or check status destroying grenades at the threat. Push The Limit lets you add your Edge (Mr Lucky would have 7 or 8) to a roll BEFORE or AFTER which is insane and also removes limits AND gives you exploding 6s.

Obviously Mr. Lucky would be better with ware/magic but a mundane can absolutely do it in this edition.

The two caveats I see are that both Seize the Initiative and Blitz only work for one combat turn rather then the entire fight, and that if you Push The Limit after you roll, the exploding 6's are only for the Edge dice. That said, Edge is overall extremely good in SR5, far more then SR4, and I like that the recharge bit encourage you to actually play as someone with more luck then sense.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Hot Yellow KoolAid posted:

To rephrase the shotgun question: If I preemptively use edge on a ranged combat roll against a couple of lightly armored targets with a shotgun, and git a really high number of hits (exploding dice, etc), is this going to mitigate their armor and do a ton of damage?

Also, can I use Improved Ability to get more than 12 effective points invested in a skill?

Yes - your net hits over their defense are added to your DV before you take armor into account for soak and stun damage. If your modified DV is higher then their modified armor (remember, when using shot they add +4 to their armor) then you do physical damage - otherwise, you use stun.

Of course, keep in mind, even if you do end up just doing stun, you can still potentially do enough stun to come lose to knocking them out, and an unconscious enemy is just as down as a dead one is.

To your second question: yes. It's poorly worded but, assuming it works the same as it did in 4e, Improved Ability can add an additional "half" to your skill. So with a skill of 6, it an add +3; ith a skill of 12, it an add +6 (with enough points and enough Magic). For the absolute best expert ever the world has ever seen and will ever seen, and will never be beaten at anything, ever, you can take Aptitude, make your skill 13, and, because everything in Shadowrun but essence rounds up, take Improved Ability +7, and end up with a base skill of 20 before any other modifiers.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
"The Decker Problem" is so much of a thing that I've seen it used in discussions about other games.

poo poo, I knew what "The Decker Problem" was before I even played Shadowrun. Like, years before.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Making armor 1 stat isn't what's leading to armor jacket overload, it's removing the Body requirement.

Poil posted:

Random question, are the 5th edition rules fleshed out enough with just the core book to allow you to make a Mirror's Edge type of character? Preferably an adept.

Yep! Light Body and Wall Running and you're set.

That said I'd actually generally recommend Light Body be put on a qi focus rather then as a chosen power, since you don't always need it active.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Laphroaig posted:

Spoof is a complex action, unless I am missing something?

Eject clip is a free.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Ok, but Control Device takes whatever action it normally would, and eject clip is a free if they have a smartgun (and they'd need to have a smartgun for you to hack the firearm). So the example still sits! More or less!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Yeah, Fading is extremely harsh on technomancers - bizarrely, far harsher then it is on Mages, who have far more powerful spells. Especially when you remember that fading damage cannot be healed outside of pure bed rest.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Gobbeldygook posted:

Mage's can't heal drain outside of pure bedrest anymore either. Honestly, that's probably the biggest nerf to mage's in 5E.

Right, I meant that it applies to both, but Technomancer powers are a) weaker, b) less useful/versatile, and yet c) more costly in terms of Drain/Fading, and neither one can get that health back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Gort posted:

Speaking of drain and such, anyone else always had a problem with how Physical drain is balanced? OK, so you're casting/summoning above your Magic rating, you're going to take physical drain! Oh no! Except, Physical damage is way less of a problem for a mage than Stun - a few combat rounds with a medkit or Heal spell and you're right back to normal.

The same can be said to a lesser extent for big tough samurai characters - you didn't want to be taking stun damage since you had way more physical boxes, but having a high armour rating sometimes forced you to.

By the way, did they remove that rule where you take stun damage if the power of an attack doesn't exceed your armour? I can't find it in the 5e rulebook.

You can't heal drain with Heal or a medkit, so uh...drain is really bad. You don't want drain.

Rule is still there. You take stun damage if the DV is lower then your armor - though it should be noted that this is after you take your net hits from the attack into account.

Sammies actually have much less to worry about here because they have a lot of ways to reduce or ignore damage taken - either through stuff like palatelletletalteltelt factories which flat out reduce damage taken, bone density which improve your body for the sake of soaking damage, or the almighty Pain Editor which lets you essentially stop caring about stun damage entirely - you no longer take any penalties from being wounded and you can flat out ignore going unconscious from stun damage. Seriously, Pain Editor is probably the first thing on every sammy's shopping list.