Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I'm finding that I love 5th edition more and more. The return of the Decker, and no more ipod hacking is a godsend. I really can't wait until I can find a PBP group to play in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
Definitely seeing that myself. As a GM I'd be screwing with the killforce 5000 with political intrigue and matrix buffoonery, while getting the face and technomancer/decker into firefights. It's not about setting up 10-pins and knocking them down, it's about playing a character through adversity in the shadows. IMO of course.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Gort posted:

This sounds like the opposite of fun. If someone comes to a game with a powerful combat character, it's clear that the player wants to have some fun shooting at stuff while watching lesser enemies bullets bounce off him. Give him a fun fight while you give the guy who came in with a hacker character a cool system to deck into, while the guy who came in with a mage some poo poo to deal with on the astral.

After all, it's a shadowrun team - they're not going to hire a street samurai who isn't a walking murder machine, and they're not really going to care about his social skills either. Hell, that's practically the street samurai cliche in a nutshell.

Of course you have those lesser enemies all the time. But the game gets stale if you never have a challenge. I like being out of my comfort zone, so that I need to use creative ways to win.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
I'm using weak immune system for my decker, along with a severe allergy to antibiotics. It's because he's sickly and was practically bedridden as a teenager. I didn't think doing that was cheesy.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

MohawkSatan posted:

I've found that even though I might have some stats lower than others with the priority system, I'm not dropping them as much as I would for the BP system. Less using them as dumpstats, and more the character having a flaw.

Same, I have two 2's. But I'd never make anything with 1's, it just feels like terrible munchkin'ing.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

MohawkSatan posted:

I've actually got a zero in a stat now that I think of it: had to burn edge session before last to stay alive. The raid on another gang's HQ didn't go so well, and now we've got two gangers(an NPC and my character) with cyberskulls taken from Humanis backed jerks.

0 Edge. Mother of god. Better hope the dice gods love you chummer, or you're up poo poo's creek.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

BenRGamer posted:

To be honest, I like the idea of a Rigger/Street Samurai, who can either use drones or fight directly and have drones back them up.

Though any tips you could give me at all would be good. What's a good initiative to aim for, for example? I had 6 +2d6 on my street samurai... and that was apparently terrible.

I'd say somewhere between 8-10 before you add cyber/bio, depending on what you're thinking of taking priority wise. Then jack your reaction up further with enhancers and/or wired reflexes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Rockopolis posted:

On the other hand, there is slightly less than no subtlety involved with grenade launchers; loud, obvious, and guaranteed to bring down a ton of heat.

Two slightly weird questions
Were there any optional rules about picking up overwatch more slowly if you're out in the rear end end of nowhere? Like a developing country?
Is German a big language for the Shadowrun community? I've been fooling around with a language learning app and I'm wondering if I should switch from French to German?

I'm pretty sure that German is huge for Shadowrun.