Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Derek Dominoe posted:

I'd love some feedback on this build. I was considering ditching the Ghost skills and adding Mag Plus, Overkill, Bullet Storm, and another low level skill.
Silent Drilling does not meld with your Doomguy persona, trade it for Ace Blast Radius. Take off Ace skills from Cleaner and Cat Burglar, and go Ace Fast Hands. The extra tier on Ghost will further improve dodge while running, as you needed it for Doom.

Agrajag posted:

Anyone care to critique this build? I am mainly aiming for a build that kills and kills some more. I generally use an AK for primary and the locomotive shotgun for secondary.

http://goo.gl/b9raSz
Switch your Ace Portable Saw for Carbon Blade. They seem to do the same thing and you get 4 skill points to respec. Put those in Endurance so you don't sound like you have breathing problems.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Derek Dominoe posted:

Thanks for the feedback! I wasn't necessarily going for Doomguy. My original plan was Mastermind + Technician, but the guys I mostly play with already have Mastermind and Ghost well-covered. I was going more for "guy who can open anything, and silently if necessary, and then provides cover when things get noisy". My main motivation for the trip mine tree was actually the shaped charges. I figure I can pick, saw, drill, blast, or even shotgun open anything while providing solid combat support. Or are the shaped charges redundant with the saw? If that's the case, I'll probably abandon the trip mines altogether.
I thought you wanted the shaped charges because the tier above provides lots of armor buffs for you and the crew. You can't open safes with saws, so you can use guns and explosives, or the saw and ammo bags, depending on the heist.

Check your volume mixer if mics are not working.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
If anyone is going halfway into Mastermind, please take Dominator and bind F to LMB, for the opportunity to turn the game into a side story of 50 Cent Blood in the Sand. Curse at cops while shooting them enough times and they get so ashamed they give up. Let a Mastermind use Joker on all the surrendered cops.

What are the stats on Joker? One convert at a time?

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Aug 13, 2013

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Miker525 posted:

gently caress the cards. over 12 hours in and I have yet to receive any kind of mask or mask mod. I mean jesus loving christ
The card I got from the tutorial is the Troll mask. Third card, Outlander. The fourth, White and Black color. Sixth is Greek Tragedy. All this in two hours.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The cops have dialog about there being three people fending off an Assault. I don't know if that is because someone is slacking or someone is killing them too fast to be noticed.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I was equally disappointed with the Bronco. I guess it needs mods and Mastermind, as I only counted three hits in the two heists I put it in before going back to Crosskill. Gun is the same as the magnum in HL2 without the aim assist, only that has killed people at close range.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Propaganda Hour posted:

Temporary: just press no on UAC to skip the step
Long term: go to the folder and delete the whole _CommonRedist folder, it's like 130MB and you lose nothing for deleting it.
I must have redownloaded it when I verified files.

averox posted:

How is this still being stated as fact? Just today I've shouted down two guards. Both of them put their hands in the air at the same time but I could only get them to kneel and cuff themselves one at a time. This is with a third rent-a-cop I had.

If anything though it seems the effectiveness of being able to shout down a guard has been lowered. I'm finding it quite tough to get them to surrender as easily as I did in beta although I'm not sure if difficulty plays a matter in that.
I agree. I provided an assist to a Joker and took another hostage to replace the last one in the future. I later got Joker and told people to hold up on slaying my prey. Pubbies don't listen too well.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I finally saw the sentry in action, dropped outside the warehouse on the ground, in Watchdogs, and most of the bullets were firing over the heads of SWAT like it was trolling me. Five guys were strafing in front of it and not fighting back. It ran out of ammo without killing anyone at all.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am kicking anyone who uses them and I will tell them why they are bad people. The same guy also got the driver killed when the host told them about the bags.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Solomonic posted:

What am I doing wrong with Dominator? I have it aced, and I'll pop a swat guy in both kneecaps, then yell at him, and he just resumes shooting at me. Is there some threshold of damage I have to reach?
Shoot them a few times and melee+shout. Keep doing it. I can get a couple surrenders often enough during each Assault if pubbies wouldn't shoot them.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
My opinion on that engine collectathon heist...gently caress it so hard...

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I can't stress this enough, drop a point for Dominator if you have any inclination to put points in Mastermind. The prisoners count as hostages and thus, weakens Assaults.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Can once shouted (non-cuffed) Dominated cops activate Stockholm Syndrome?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

padijun posted:

Hahah holy poo poo, I just tamed my first white helmet FBI agent with aced joker. He just kept ruining his co-worker's poo poo, also he was bulletproof.
I got a blue shirt SWAT who was converted just in time to be swarmed by his friends in a corridor and died instantly. I have Ace Joker. Don't rely on blues.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Plus: Did you know that the truck on Watchdogs 1 can blow up, taking the people near it and half the coke with it? True story that we found out the hard way.
I guess that is what the achievement is for.

Antidox posted:

Does anyone have any technique advice for dominating high level cops? Me and another mastermind were playing last night and just kept getting shot lots while both shouting at a single wounded cop.
Tell your group you want to Dominate. LMB and endlessly spam F. If you get close, be sure to shoot once and melee after each shout. They have dialog when they surrender. Shout more so they invisible zip tie and are ready to convert. Try not to convert near a group in case you have to pixel hunt for the convert process and get shot.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mushball posted:

Does it matter if you shoot at their general direction or do you have to hit them? If you do need to hit them, using lower powered weapons or just going for bodyshots seems like the the ideal way to go about dominating cops.
I think the more damage you do to them, the better your small chance gets. I saw guys surrender just from taking a long range shot from a Rein and others get several pistol whips and keep going until dead. Think of them like those uppity civvies running into your bullets.

What causes the seemingly random slowdown when you put your mask on?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Doom gun is best gun. I swear that firing it in a group will cause one guy to surrender on the spot if he lives.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The same goes for PC with the volume. I get bitched a ton because Bain is literally screaming in my ears when he talks and I can't hear the muffled sounds of my crew through Mumble at times.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Shima Honnou posted:

Rocking a Nixon mask is all I would need to consider this game complete.
I wouldn't mind an Obama mask (or rodeo clown) and commit so many hate crime offenses in the name of money.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They do strange things at times.

I named him Deadgar.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

BuhamutZeo posted:

Welp, I can't stop crashing (Crash, as in instantly booted to desktop without an error message) during gameplay at random times. No pattern or reason, just during heists or sometime in the menus before-hand. I've tried everything I can think of: reinstall game, reinstall drivers with the driver cleaners, reseated the video card, memtest for 12 passes, reading the minidumps (useless). All access violations with no further explanation. Even turned off that data protection thing for windows which I need to go turn back on now. And no, turning off steam overlay doesn't help either.

I am at a loss and I really enjoy this game when it works too, but I can't finish 3 day heists, and sometimes it happens multiple times during the same heist when I rejoin a friend in the game. :(

I'm open to any suggestions at this point.
Just like in Payday 1. I am lucky to crash once a day. Blame Overkill for not fixing that.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
/\/\/\/\/\/\
Shields are the biggest problem in the game. A bulldozer team may wipe the crew, but Shields will Turtle Formation everyone in a small room and shoot the hell out of us with no way to counter. I will have to respec to it.

Shima Honnou posted:

Don't know how so many people have so much trouble with pubbies. I pub it up all the time, they love me!

:3:
I get applauded when I blow apart doors. Seems the tutorial is so worthless that people would rather waste time and resets over frantic lock picking.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 21, 2013

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

anuj posted:

~hay boys~

Your picture is incredible and you missed the best part in the background.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Found a shortcut to Mallcrasher. Upgraded Trip mines on the car, Apple store, shoot some windows, and run to the van in 45 seconds.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 21, 2013

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Must be a coincidence that Bain no longer screams when he talks after I reported it. I could turn the volume down, but dominated SWAT quietly tell you when they surrender.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

John Murdoch posted:

Though I'd say right now none of the skill trees are quite up to par. Mastermind is probably most overall balanced, but it's also saddled with the most passive, boring "save some money on stuff"/"get +10 XP for every heist" skills. Those need to be refactored into tier bonuses, and coincidentally the Tier 4 and 5 bonuses are lacking already, which makes me wonder if they were reversed at some point. The only "real" skill of questionable effectiveness is Stockholm Syndrome, plus the fact that Ace Combat Medic doesn't work on Overkill.
Technician is saddled with too many passive cost savings. Half the tier bonuses are saving money on crafting. The headshot tier has the only worthy bonus and I couldn't count how ineffective it is when bullets have such a hard time finding that drat hitbox around environmental obstacles.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You can use everything you paid for. Everyone is going to have the same starter skills for a dozen levels until you can start specializing.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I had enough fun now that I can fill out a tree and parts of the other trees to fully round out my character. I may try to organize gimmick heists for the rich people to fully respec for, but I don't want to go through 200000 for one level and Overkill lost its charm.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is there a list on the exact speed and visibility penalties of armor?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Bocc Kob posted:

I shot a Taser in the back of the head with my shotgun, then melee'd him six times and he just turned around and laughed. :stare:
Unless you had Berserker and a few other melee upgrades, and at 40% health, I would laugh at you for swinging away at anyone not blue.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Party Plane Jones posted:

Really? We went through the entirety of Day 3 with every civilian dead and saws operating at full blast. It was only when we picked up the camera that we got a "Civilian has called the police."
Scripted event, last I heard.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
If the AI wasn't so terrible I might be looking forward to having my own gang DLC.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Agrajag posted:

I don't know if bringing a saw just to saw out the bottom is worth it on Watchdogs Day 1. Seeing that you are severely handicapping yourself and your team with having no primary in what is a long shootout is not a good idea. Added to the fact that the saw is of negligible benefit since the only use it gets is to saw out the bottom at the start of the mission and that is it.
If the truck shows up past the gated stairs and forcing you way out in the open, that door can be sawed off halfway to it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Now that I have a bunch of mods for Bronco and Desert Eagle, I can safely say that while the Bronco now hits where I aim it, it falls short against armored enemies bouncing half the bullets of its small capacity.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
So can we still aim at the crotch to headshot?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

K. Farb posted:

Joker is a neat gimmick but is there something else I'm missing about Mastermind? I guess I'm just not a big fan of pistols and assume anyone being downed deserves it.
Mastermind is a coach who trains everyone else to stop sucking. Leadership noticeably reduces recoil for everyone. Dominated guys counts as hostages for shortening Assaults and allows an unlimited number of trades on maps without civvies. They also make it so everyone gains thousands of extra XP per heist.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Lasher posted:

Yeah we took them all the landing strip and just our rotten luck it was something like the 3rd to last bag we loaded up. Lesson learnt there.

And cheers for the bank tip. Didn't think about that. I was thinking if I had my back to the exit nothing could spawn there. Although maybe I was just lucky I didn't get a tazer to the arse.
Mine was second to last bag. We should have wiped half an hour earlier, but two people joined in to bring us back from literally no ammo or health. We couldn't find the drat notes.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mushball posted:

Speaking of cops not surrendering with threats and repeated shouts, sometimes I see civilians fail to get down even after repeated shouts and an assault rifle pointed at their face that I start thinking that they are going play cowboy and pull a gun on me. I don't know the rules for concealed weapons in DC but armed civilians would be a pain in the rear end to stealth if Overkill decides to give civilians a random chance of packing a pistol and acting like John McClane when the heist goes loud.
DC is a Liberal paradise. There are no guns allowed.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Tasers seem distinct to me, being all black and looking like something from the 80s, and having armored crotchplates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Soloed Frames Day 1 on my second try and succeeded on my first attempt on Day 2. Day 3 ended badly after a guard popped his head on the stairway and I was too slow on the second pager. Maybe dropping the ECM before answering the first pager was a bad idea. It feels short compared to Diamond, but Day 1 is only stealthing the power boxes, and Day 2 is opening the diamond cases.

I decided to try out the stealthing and my guy is a speedwalking champ in heavy armor. Don't know how effective the new speed armor tier is, but I am very fast in everything I do short of picking locks.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Aug 28, 2013

• Locked thread