Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Jozy will score three(3) league goals, one will be the winner against Newcastle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Did anyone make any bets on how many times Jozy would bring the ball down with his hand, then fall over it?

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

vyelkin posted:

Friendlies don't count.

In competitive fixtures, Jozy has scored a grand total of one (1) goal against a non-poo poo team. Much like his record in the Premier League, in fact.

This isn't fair, he scored a cup goal against PSV during his 2 seasons in Holland.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Crunkjuice posted:

Oh get off it. It was the confed cup semis against casillas, pique, puyol, david villa, xavi, torres, fabregas, capdevila, xabi alonso, ramos, reira. Cazorla and Mata were subs. Not exactly a poo poo squad there.

You're absolutely right, he scored a goal once, 4 and a half years ago.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Paddyb posted:

That's too bad because this thread is repetitive as hell and 35 pages long and poo poo.

You know what else is repetitive as hell and 35 pages long and poo poo? Jozy Altidore's autobiography.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Mean Bean Machine posted:

It's funny to me that most of the "trolls" that constantly harass Jozy fans and the man himself are British; do I sense some jealousy? Gazing over Wikipedia's list of top England scorers, most of these forwards are completely unknown or playing for smaller teams like Nottingham Forest and Leeds. One name jumps at me though, and it's Wayne Rooney. No, I'm not joking, one of the least fit and athletic players in professional soccer has scored loads of goals in England. How does that happen? Well, look at his bio and you'll find out: he's been playing for almost all his life at Manchester, probably the best franchise ever in that country. Not only that, but he has scored nearly all of their penalty kicks, free kicks, corner kicks, goal kicks and the sort. You get my drift. Think it's not farfetched to say that if Jozy played for years in a team like Manchester he would have the same amount of goals as Rooney, or maybe even more, and even the Jozyhaters would agree to that. So the next time one of these "trolls" invade our safe haven, just utter the words Roo-ins, that'll be sure to send a shiver down their spines. For the rest of you believers, carry on!

2/10, must try harder.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

black.lion posted:

Except Jozy is Haitian.

Casual racism etc.

Jozy is American. Overt racism etc.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Your Weird Uncle posted:

i sincerely hope you aren't english

Why?

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Monday Bandele posted:

Is it a racial thing? I am not making an accusation, but they do only pass the ball to him when there is no other choice. I only mention racism because of the whole if you can hire a Nazi, I reckon you are not squeamish about a little racism between white folks eh?

Note if it matters I am a white guy but the PDC angle and the outright freeze out of JA does give me some pause.

tbf, isn't signing Jozy the first thing you'd do if you were trying to covertly advance a white supremacist agenda?

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Mean Bean Machine posted:

What a win for Sunderland, and what a performance from Josmer. Eliminated one of the strongest teams in the competition and it was all thanks to another sumptuous assist from Josmer Altidore who never stopped fighting and unselfishly passed the ball for the goal that tied it all up close to the 90th minute, and was crucial in dragging defenders away from Ki when the Korean scored the winning goal. I was glued to my seat but thankfully Gus Poyet didn't leave Jozy glued to his and had the common sense to play the USA Athlete of the Year, who was crucial in another win for the Black Cats. Stick that in your little chart.

Maybe this is the time for Jozy to reinvent himself and become a world class #10, he could form a Rooney/RVPesque partnership with Borini.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Puseklepp posted:

He's got the skills to be a solid starter for a top PL team, the stats don't lie.

A professional scout gave him 4/5 for Defense (marking, tackling), he's got so much more than goals to his game

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Von Linus posted:

During todays match the commentators said that Jozy was unplayable against Newcastle but not with the tone of disgust and loathing that I expected as though he was unplayable because he'd done a big poo poo in his pants, but instead almost like they were trying to say he was good then. Was that the case?

Jozy lacks Lineker's level of dedication imo, so probably the latter.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

jazzyhattrick posted:

I wouldn't fancy jozy to bag one of he was CEO of a loving bag company.

I'm not really sure you understand what a CEO does, tbh

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Jozy isn't even in the squad, this is an outrage :argh:

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

I'm also not saying Jozy is completely innocent, either. His work rate goes down when the whole team is down (which is 90%+ of the time). It's natural. But if he's on a good team with good chances, he's a 15+ goalscorer in this league, easily. It's hard to figure what Poyet actually expects of a striker who gets 3 touches per match, two of them being headballs for a teammate to try and run on to.

-

I did hear one mention they didn't think Fletcher or Altidore would be their next year. Interestingly i've heard that several times in the past two weeks. I think on the Game or Guardian podcast by one of the pundits and on podcasts. I'm not talking Americans that have considered it since December. Doesn't mean anything other than that at least to them the writing is on the wall. That said i'm sure many of the same people probably said "Liverpool surely HAS to sell Suarez." Only to basically have John W. Henry go "I don't HAVE to do poo poo."

-

Players need to go to squads where the staff, the tactics, and the teammates can accentuate their skill set, and enhance their development. Transferring to a squad for the best fee/pay out, with no regard to how the team actually plays and how stable the F.O. is there is just insane and really, really short sighted. I don't know how much control you have, since your squad is going to be interested in the highest fee, but, finding another option would have been wiser.

Sunderland needs attacking players that can create their own chances, because w/that midfield, target forwards that need well delivered balls are going to starve. It was a stupid signing from their point of view too, the money could have been spent much more wisely on some poor man's Pippo Inzaghi type who could turn nothing into 1-0.

-

I think this "national image" thing gets way more play here than in the boardroom. Frankly, I don't think the guys that matter: scouts, directors of football, coaches, owners etc. really care. If a guy is from a "sexy" soccer country, they might take a bit more notice but Joe Max-Moore and Clint Dempsey having killer scoring seasons in the EPL did not open any floodgates and Ream, Witbred, Shea, Edu, Bradley etc. did not shut off the tap.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Shrapnig posted:

Bolded Joe-Max Moore scored 4 time as many goals as Jozy in the Premier League and was pretty universally regarded as poo poo.

He scored 8 in 52 games and is being listed as one of the 2 USMNT forwards who had 'killer scoring seasons' in England. If I was Brian McBride I'd be pretty pissed off, best American striker in the premier league by a mile.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

red_blip posted:

Haha, yeah okay so... was he the worst? Can anyone think of someone that was less effective with the time given to them? (Not including injuries)

I can't think of a single worse player to have played over 50 games in the premier league.

Ninpo posted:

I genuinely can't, even Jason Lee had more goals in the Premier League than Jozy. Park Chu Young maybe, but he's played 8 minutes of league football.

Jozy only needs 12 in his next 23 games to match Jason Lee, and for most of those games he will have had a full pre-season at Sunderland to acclimatise.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

cadfael posted:

I want to see him twat one in, he does have something in his locker other than pies.

This was basically the only goal he scored in Holland from outside the box, but still.

*closes down striker*
*changes mind and slowly jogs back into position, while everyone else stands still*

The most surprising thing about that gif is the guy tracking his runner, but I suppose the league isn't famous for it's shite midfields.

porkface posted:

Every day I see 50 posts as if something happened.

As far as anyone itt knows, Jozy is the worst striker ever to play 50 games in the premiership. I'd say that was a pretty big milestone.

Strawman fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 21, 2014

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

vaginal culture posted:

If you identify as one, then you are one. Jozy is abusing these tolerant 21st century mores

I think your assumption that he self identifies as a footballer is entirely unfounded.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

It sure seemed like you were faulting him a lot more than them, when really he has no clue how to get the ball from these teammates. He makes far post peels, near post crashes, runs down the gut alone, curled runs, angled runs. You can see it on his face, it takes forever for them to pass if they even bother.

Either Jozy is awful at choosing a spot in the box or this team might be the worst crossing team in the EPL. Their balls are never even close.

He should've shot instead of laying it out for Giacherini in an offsides position, but had that been onsides and a goal, we'd all be saying it was a brilliant assist. Overall I think this was a good game for Jozy, just wish he would've gotten at least one shot on goal.

For my money, Jozy > Wickham today.

Strawman fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 27, 2014

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

Source your quotes.

http://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/sunderland-liverpool-3-26-jozy-starts.2002419/page-6

Where else?

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Sunderland paid the same amount of money for Jozy as Liverpool did for Coutinho.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

It seems Jozy has read The Secret

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Re: Jozy Altidore
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2014, 09:56:50 AM »
Put him in the right system and he'll boss it. We need a good backup option to Sturridge next season so I'd take him on a free.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

joshtothemaxx posted:

My favorite part is that Jozy is always always always compared to other black players.

My favourite part is that he's always compared to black target men by people who get furious at the idea that he should be expected to occasionally win headers or hold the ball up.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

jazzyhattrick posted:

CD Magnet: The CD stands for Chocolate Digestives.

Cardiac Defibrillator, the medical staff realise he's a ticking time bomb.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

MoPZiG posted:

Has Jozy entered the pantheon of worst premiership strikers yet?

Jozy is a monotheist

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

trem_two posted:

At his age he needs to be playing regularly and scoring goals. 3 more seasons at a drinking club that seems to have a bit of buyer's remorse about Jozy, will see him at 27 with his confidence shot to hell and 3 years of bad habits learned. His value will have cratered, and he'll still have another 6-7 years of playing time head of him.

What I'm saying is that Jozy should give thought to taking a loan move to someplace that wants him and waiving part of his wages from Sunderland if that's what it takes to get a season-long loan move to, say, PSV through. Yes, it's giving up cash now, but doing something to improve his 2016 marketability, improve his skill level, and avoid the frustration and embarrassment of hanging around with what Ron Atkinson would probably describe as a bunch of fu**ing lazy, thick alcoholic wankers.

I wonder how Ron Atkinson would describe Jozy?

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Ewar Woowar posted:

I've watched a couple of Sunderland games and they are a bad team. The USMNT has better talent than Sunderland and that's why Jozy plays better with the national team than with Sunderland. Let's not forget the sub-par coaching Sunderland had all year and big club rejects that surrounded Jozy. Jozy will be 25 this year so he really has one more chance in Europe to prove to himself he can play with the elite.

true, false, true, false

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

J Hume posted:

There are some good meltdowns in the comments here: http://www.soccerbyives.net/2014/04/altidore-sunderland-tottenham.html but it sounds like people are slowly accepting the truth.

he got to actually play soccer, which means the team still values him, albeit at the U-21 level

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Eric Cantonese posted:

Anyone watch Altidore's hat trick against Bosnia Herzegovina this past summer. The goals were based upon counter attacking with pace and through balls. Altidore despite his size does not play with his back to the goal. Expecting him to do that was naive. Perhaps if someone had looked at how he scored goals they either shouldn't have signed him, or played to his strength. At this point his confidence is shot, and probably got shipped off to the U-21s for questioning GPs tactics (which didn't work well at White Hart Lane).

So if anyone at Sunderland had watched him play they wouldn't have signed him? Makes you think.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

vaginal culture posted:

Bring me some lulzy jozy tweets/bigsoccer posts

They really dislike Connor Wickham for some reason

big soccer posted:

I've been saying it all season. I know it's not exciting or groovy, but S'land is better with Jozy on the field. Oh well. Spanking has begun.

Bear in mind that Sunderland has also had a lionshare of the ball in the first half. Creating many more opportunties than Jozy has seen in 3 full games this year.

I just heard that too. I just took it as you trying to justify Wickham. Lets be honest. He's had the ball a few times and looked like a child.

When I was a little kid, I wanted Jason Garrett to start over Troy Aikman when Aikman was playing poorly, which is just...lol. Poyet still thinks this way, apparently.

Sunderland win a throw down near the City corner flag... and Wickham takes it. Any other questions?
Moments later, Wickham looks shy to fight for a low Johnson cross that is actually really good.

let's be honest, no one could miss that.

how do you explain Wickham having 19 total turnovers in these last four games (4.75 average) when Altidore averages 2.7 total TO's per game?

Right now Jozy's brand in England is basically worthless. Unless something happens, I don't see any club in the EPL trying to get him. The S'land fans aren't helping, pushing him to the top in any voting about "worst player in the league" poll.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

vyelkin posted:

He's a five tool striker: hammer, saw, drill, sander, level.

lol they act like "has the ball more often" is a damning stat instead of a sign of how worthless Jozy is.

The same poster after having this pointed out a few minutes later:

To be completely fair, Altidore does not quite play the average amount of minutes those guys do (or get as many touches). So you would have to adjust his up to cancel the playing time difference. Just guessing, maybe about 20%? That would give him more like 3.3 per game.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

afgrijselijkheid said: ↑
Yeah, Schwarzer dropped a long shot right at the feet of Wickham and he put it away. I have no idea how he has played other than that because I just now switched the game on.

50/50 Ball said: ↑
Joszy has to be laughing right now at the irony.He is off and the man in his spot is getting service and spilled saves to his feet. All people will say is that "Connor knocks em in."

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Bottom line:
1. Jozy had a terrible year, but it was a terrible year on a disfunctional, terrible team. Some think it is irrelevant, I don't.
2. Previous to Sunderland, Jozy did well on a team that wasn't disfunctional. Lower level yes, disregard completely? No.
2. you need a manager that believes he is smarter than the management at Sunderland this past year (shouldn't be hard to find).
3. The manager must believe that Jozy, with the right training (his) and placed in the right system(his), can be successful, maybe dominating. Again, I think some managers that fit that description exist, possibly at fairly high levels.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Blue Screen Error posted:

You could probably make a whole Wutang pun team. e.g. Inspectah Cech, Ghostface Kenny Miller

Ol' Giggsys Bastards

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Bigsoccer :stare:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Do folks forget how dreadful Wickham was prior to these past 3 or 4 games? He was basically Jozy without the good hold-up play.

I have no clue how he was at Wednesday, and I don't care. He was worse than Jozy at Sunderland until three games ago.

Played well. Pretty much every touch was a smart one by Altidore. Still looks like some of his fellow Sunderland doodz don't consider him an option when the break is on.

Borini hates his guts.

The season started ok for Jozy, goal disallowed against arsenal, turn-and-burn on terry at chelsea, the newcastle win...there was promise. Then coach facistpanties went crazy as expected and a new guy is brought in.

At least someone there has actually been watching Jozy play for S'land.
JozyBradley- Jozy needs to work on his chest control..It seems to always bounce very hard off him and into the opposition's defenders path.....

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Ewar Woowar posted:

This is pretty much the only thread on trp I can handle after Liverpool lose.

Thank you Jozy for being so entertainingly poo poo at football.

The fans are the real heroes, imo.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

nice holdup and dish by the man there. that is what Larrsen doesn't understand. Feed the man and he'll give it back you dolt.

Hopefully Jozy will get the start because the final game is now meaningless in terms of staying up or down.

I am not sure why everyone is so stunned they stay up. Law of averages says they would bother to show up sooner or later. Also, the more I watch Sessegnon, the more I am convinced Altidore suffered because of his early season departure. There went his comfy close combos (and probably several rebounds) away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Now, I can't be too hard on Poyet for the Bardsley of it all - he was contributing to the offensive, but he and Ki are the two obvious variables from the 10 game suck-iosity to the 5 game turn around. And both were changes caused by circumstance, not managerial acumen. fwiw.

• Locked thread