Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I used to cut myself incredibly badly on the regular while I was cooking and then I had to go on blood thinners for a bit and it turns out I just hadn't been paying attention. it basically hasn't happened since. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

i just wasted a whole bunch of irish butter, some egg whites, and loads of sugar trying to follow this one cake recipe's instructions for a meringue buttercream. it was pretty poorly written honestly, and it tasted like marshmellow syrup, bleh.

at least i did manage to ace the triple decker chocolate cake with homemade blackberry jam and ganache. loving hate making cakes, still.

anybody got an icing recipe that's on the subtle side and takes food coloring well?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Atticus_1354 posted:

Sorry that doesn't even come close to the worst goon story about eyeballing drugs.

Glad you're alright. Burns are nasty.

Alcohol burns aren't that bad, really, unless it's a truly impressive amount of alcohol - it burns very quickly. Sugar/caramel/candy burns however...ouch.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Eat This Glob posted:

a ranch dip made with sour cream which was in need of being thrown out. I cooked up a big pan full of garbage
Post/Username combo excellence here.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Rythe posted:

I found out my best friend makes her turkey gravy by taking the drippings and stirring flour into it and straining out the lumps. I banned her, in her own house from making gravy and did a quick lesson on what the hell a roux is and how important that concept is to everything. I'll blow her mind with a corn starch slurry next.
Or just buy her some Wondra, superfine flour made specifically for sauces. Don't get me wrong, roux is great, but it's also okay to take shortcuts. Similarly, beurre manié is easier to do than a roux IMHO.

I came here with my greatest cooking error. When I was in my twenties, I made persimmon pudding ... and forgot the sugar.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I have made more than one rhubarb pie without sugar. It's uh, tart.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
That is every fruit pie or crumble my grandmother ever made, but she left out the sugar by choice so that people could 'taste the fruit'. Apple wasn't too bad. Rhubarb or gooseberry was inedibile without sugar. She used to have a small pot of sugar on the table for people to add, just like people normally have for salt and pepper.

Nostalgia for my grandmother's cooking is not something I have ever experienced.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I don't add sugar to stewed fruit, and have only rarely regretted it.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Mr. Squishy posted:

I don't add sugar to stewed fruit, and have only rarely regretted it.

That's fine, rhubarb is a vegetable, so you can keep your streak going while making something that actually tastes good.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I fermented rubharb for a year. Don't recommend it. Short term is fine.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I fermented rubharb for a year. Don't recommend it. Short term is fine.

Uh...on purpose??

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Set it and forget it!!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

pro tip anything that you find rotting you can call a fermentation experiment, works every time

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Eat This Glob posted:

I was having my first Christmas with my new girlfriend this year, and she knocked it out of the park - crab boil with twice as much crab legs in shells as anyone could eat.

Her, her dad, and I took half an hour and just shelled it all after we ate so we'd have some crab ready to eat. I thought I'd whip up dinner tonight and get that (roughly 8 ounces) of crab cooked up with some homemade alfredo that she also made yesterday with some nice fresh but store bought pasta and some steamed broccoli.

A combination of her daughter showing me stuff on her phone coupled with a fairly bad sense of smell had me put in what I thought was the alfredo into the pan and then I tossed the crab in to heat up and finally put cooked pasta in and shaved a bunch of nice parm on top.

Turns out, what I thought was alfredo was a ranch dip made with sour cream which was in need of being thrown out. I cooked up a big pan full of garbage tonight and now I gotta figure something else out to eat. Probably my worst cock-up since a mandolin-induced thumb circumcision sent me to the ER

reminds me of the time i was cooking dinner for family friends. their kids really liked potatoes au gratin so after i sliced up the potatoes and chucked them into the casserole dish i fished around in their fridge for the rest of what i needed. no butter, but i did see a tub of country crock that was half-full, and while i don't use margarine in my own cooking i decided i just had to live off the land so i scooped a bunch out, slopped it into the potatoes, and continued assembly.

it looked great coming out of the oven until i took a bite. it was tart. sweet. lemony. it wasn't margarine in that margarine tub, it was thick lemon pudding.

one of their kids loved it so much they still eat it to this day. so i guess it could have been worse!

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Lady Demelza posted:

That is every fruit pie or crumble my grandmother ever made, but she left out the sugar by choice so that people could 'taste the fruit'. Apple wasn't too bad. Rhubarb or gooseberry was inedibile without sugar. She used to have a small pot of sugar on the table for people to add, just like people normally have for salt and pepper.

Nostalgia for my grandmother's cooking is not something I have ever experienced.

My grandmother's lemon meringue pies were also non traditional. Apparently she just preferred a curd so loose that you needed a spoon to eat it, because all of them turned out soupy. No one else in the family makes lemon meringue pies like that, she was the only one.

We're not missing it.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

Lady Demelza posted:

IIRC there was an anecdote in one of the Little House on the Prairie books where Laura, being new at being a housewife, screws up and makes a pie without sugar (I don't remember what fruit but it may well have been rhubarb) and then men at the table, in the name of politeness, praise her for allowing them to choose their own level of sweetness (as they spoon sugar into their slices).

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

EightFlyingCars posted:

it looked great coming out of the oven until i took a bite. it was tart. sweet. lemony. it wasn't margarine in that margarine tub, it was thick lemon pudding.

That is weird enough that I kinda want to try and make it myself

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
In my house growing up, if it said Country Crock, Cool Whip, you had very small chance of actually finding that given item in there. My mom didn't hold with microwaves, so nothing had to be microwave safe. Why would you pay money for a Tupperware container, when they gave them away when you bought other things?

I got my first microwave at age 28. I still used it so rarely that I occasionally forgot I put food in it, until days later playing 'find that smell'.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Arkhamina posted:

I got my first microwave at age 28. I still used it so rarely that I occasionally forgot I put food in it, until days later playing 'find that smell'.

:catstare: i dont use my toaster oven very often but ive never forgotten i was cooking in it

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Minor cockup this time, but I apparently oversalted the hash I made for dinner tonight. It's fine, I'll still eat it - I just prefer less salty foods and usually succeed at that. It's more that it's a very basic one, rather than a major one.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Shooting Blanks posted:

I apparently oversalted the hash I made for dinner tonight.
About 5 years ago, I made a recipe based on corned beef, New England Boiled Dinner, from my Betty Crocker cookbook (the alternate under Tip 2). The book is an American cookbook based on (mostly) ingredients easily found across the USA. I was in Quebec, Canada, where most of those things are easy enough to acquire, sometimes under different names. My local grocery store had a 5L bucket of corned beef from, of all places, Newfoundland. Close enough, I thought.

I neglected to rinse the beef more than a simple splash to remove the darkest red liquid. It was salty. Very salty. It tasted less like beef in brine than brine with beef colouring and a slightly beefy aftertaste. I ate it, slowly over about a week, making different side-dishes (completely without any salt) each subsequent evening.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I grew up in New England and ate this often. The thing is, you can prepare it different ways: roasting or a dry prep, rinse that sucker.

Boil prep? No rinse! It should be boiling in a big pot (I use one that will easily boil 10lbs of potatoes. ) The large amount of water will help osmotically draw out salt, and also salts and seasons the cabbage, carrots, potatoes.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
The bucket version usually still comes in its corning brine as a long-term preservative, and that could use a thorough rinse even if being boiled, not even so much for flavor as to prevent nitrite poisoning. The vacuum-packed versions sold in the US already had it done, and their packing liquid is a bit of the rinse water.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Good to know! I don't think I have seen the bucket...

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
At least in my experience, in the US it's entirely a backwoods smokehouse thing. But yeah, there's gonna be over a pound of salt and a couple-few tablespoons of saltpeter (or analogues) floating around in that slightly-bigger-than-a-milkjug bucket; it's dark and thick to the extent that it starts to look like a spiced rum, and it's universally recommended to give the meat a good wash and dispose of the liquid.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Chard posted:

:catstare: i dont use my toaster oven very often but ive never forgotten i was cooking in it

It's not a matter of forgetting that you were cooking something in it. My ex used to use the microwave as a place to store food - usually leftovers, or a plate of something that was being saved for someone else.

Leftover fried chickenwas the most common thing they stored in there. I think the logic was that putting it in the fridge would make the breading soggy faster. I can at least agree that storing leftover fries in the microwave results in them remaining edible for a bit longer than putting them in the fridge would, but I was pretty vocal about not liking that they weren't storing meat safely.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

tinytort posted:

Leftover fried chickenwas the most common thing they stored in there. I think the logic was that putting it in the fridge would make the breading soggy faster.

I've had good luck with putting it in a zip-top bag and putting a folder paper towel on top.

on-topic: I was letting some bread rise in the oven and turned the elements on for just 30 seconds. and then another 10 minutes beyond that. whoops.

not the first time I've done that.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I'm so scared of turning on the oven while proofing bread I tape an angry message complete with a little angry face, over the controls. It hasn't happened (yet)

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

i forgot the glaze :(

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

What is it? Looks like some funky bread shaped like a dick. Would eat it even if dick shaped of course. What is it supposed to look like?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

A cooking cock up, that’s for sure

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Paprika ≠ cayenne

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dunno-Lars posted:

What is it? Looks like some funky bread shaped like a dick. Would eat it even if dick shaped of course. What is it supposed to look like?

It's a dickface

*turns monitor on*

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Paprika ≠ cayenne

A while back I grilled a spatchpenised chicken, coating it liberally with cajun seasoning. Or so I thought. I like heat (within reason), so I used a good bit - a perfect amount for me, had it been cajun. With straight cayenne, it wasn't good. It wasn't inedible, but a lot of people would disagree.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

JoshGuitar posted:

A while back I grilled a spatchpenised chicken, coating it liberally with cajun seasoning. Or so I thought. I like heat (within reason), so I used a good bit - a perfect amount for me, had it been cajun. With straight cayenne, it wasn't good. It wasn't inedible, but a lot of people would disagree.

lol. was it at least salted? literally just straight cayenne and nothing else?

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Dunno-Lars posted:

it's Christopsomo! off Peter Reinhart's The Bread Baker's Apprentice. the intended shape involved these two ropes laid over the top crisscrossing each other, with the overhangs split and rolled up into what here looks like cock n balls. it looked normal from every other angle

notes from that experience:

-always use more dried figs. they are real good
-if the recipe looks perfectly baked 10 minutes in put some foil on that thing
-bigger is not always better. small loafs could have worked too

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Borsche69 posted:

lol. was it at least salted? literally just straight cayenne and nothing else?

I think I started off with salt, pepper, and a smaller amount of cajun that was actual cajun. Then when it was almost done I wanted to hit it with a good bit of cajun to finish, and grabbed the wrong jar. So it scorched the entire length of my digestive system, but at least it wasn't underseasoned :downs:.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Ages ago but I'm suddenly reminded of the time I was making garlic mashed potatoes and accidently used four bulbs of garlic instead of four cloves.

I thought it was still edible. My then-girlfriend now-wife declined to have any more after a few bites and I had to finish the pot myself over the course of the next week.

On the one hand I'm an idiot mistaking bulbs for cloves. On the other hand, just four fuckin cloves for an entire pot of garlic mashed potatoes? Come the gently caress on, recipe.

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 19, 2023

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Quiet Feet posted:

Ages ago but I'm suddenly reminded of the time I was making garlic mashed potatoes and accidently used four bulbs of garlic instead of four cloves.

I thought it was still edible. My then-girlfriend now-wife declined to have any more agter a few bites and I had to finish the pot myself over the course of the next week.

On the one hand I'm an idiot mistaking bulbs for cloves. On the other hand, just four fuckin cloves for an entire pot of garlic mashed potatoes? Come the gently caress on, recipe.

You were approaching the correct amount of garlic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I always double whatever recipes say for garlic. At least.