Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Just found this thread and goddammit, I guess I have to be the guy who stands up for Presto. I really like that record. It's not my favorite, but there's something so earnestly goofy about the lyrics, and I happen to like the whole "how do we cut down on synths? YES MAKE THEM SOUND LIKE PIANOS" thing that happened with that record. But I like cheesy FM synths, so. As far as their worst song, especially lyrically, I've really got to point at Test For Echo. I like other stuff on that record (Driven, Half the World) but the title track (and Resist, now that I think about it) can take a flying leap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Rollersnake posted:

I'm out of reputedly great Rush albums except for Clockwork Angels.

Which records haven't you heard?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Alternately:

1st album: How warmed-over do you like your hard rock pastiche? First and last songs only, skip the rest. Spin "Here Again" if you need to fall asleep.
COS: Play only if it's your turn to host D&D night. A few good riffs, a couple better hooks, a whole lot of embarrassing.
All the World: Overlong, interesting in that this is from before they started to focus on making the live experience sound exactly like the studio versions. If there was live film from this period, it'd be rad as gently caress.
Exit Stage Left: Nothing to hear here that they hadn't already done on record. The video is pretty awesome, especially if you want to chuckle at new-wave-mullet Alex in his red suit jacket.
Hold Your Fire: Rush trying so hard to not be Rush that they fall through a dimensional wormhole and come out the other side as an entirely different band. You may actually dig it if you like Power Windows---it's closer to that in sound than anything before or after.
Show of Hands: Thin sounding, even remastered. Again, the video trumps the record.
Presto: Underrated, but very odd. Falls into a weird hole. Doesn't sound like the 80s, but doesn't sound like the 90s, either. The band seemed to have compromised on the "too many keyboards" complaint by dialing them down to bare minimum (and making most of them piano parts) and then having Alex track eight zillion guitars everywhere and then soaking them all in delay.
Roll The Bones: If there's any Rush album that suffers from :words:, it's this one. A couple great songs, a couple embarrassments, a whole lot of :words:. Don't rap, guys. Ever.
Counterparts: Hey, we forgot we own amplifiers! Let's use them. Also, let's master this hot as gently caress like the kids are all doing these days. Actually really good, but man, the preachy moments really stick out. Moreso than usual.
Test for Echo: Dog Years is poo poo, and most of this record (everything after the first three songs) is loving boring, which makes me sad.
Different Stages: Agreed with Factory, oddly enough - this is probably their best live record. And since you like Kings, the third disc is a live set from that period, which is in itself probably worth the price. No video to go with this record, oddly enough.
Vapor Trails: WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU. WHAT? HOLD ON, LET ME TURN THE MUSIC DOWN. WHAT? I'M SORRY ALL I CAN HEAR IS THIS RINGING IN MY EARS.
Rush in Rio: Probably the best live record they've put out of the giant stack of them in the 00s-10s.
R30: Kinda overlong, feels a little warmed-over, especially with the biggest hits that have been trotted out eight bajillion times.
Snakes and Arrows: He said he heard this one already actually.
Snakes and Arrows Live: Not bad, but man, they took a crack at a couple songs Geddy just can't do anymore. Circumstances is wince-worthy on performance, though the riff is still massive. Again, video over CD always.
Time Machine Tour Live: Haven't heard it. Is anything on it that hasn't been in their sets constantly since the 90s? I know, the back half of Moving Pictures, but other than that?
Clockwork Angels: I just can't get into it. I dunno.
Clockwork Angels Live: Haven't heard it. Again, anything on it that hasn't been trotted out a gringullion times already?

Also Geddy Lee's solo album is rad.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 13, 2014

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Would give my left nut to hear some of these.

Definitely Tears, basically everything from HYF and Presto (maybe not Tai Shan), Everyday Glory...

I saw them on the Snakes & Arrows tour, and of all the stuff they did from the record, I'm amazed they didn't do We Hold On. That thing really cooks.

Also, I get that the Vapor Trails tour was more a "hey we're back" tour, but you'd think they'd have done more from it.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 2, 2015

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The show here got sold out like instantly, wasn't able to do it on my current budget.

When you say Cygnus X-1, do you mean the whole thing, with Hemispheres included?

Also, holy gently caress, Signals to Presto gets exactly two songs?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Yeah, there's some stuff that's just not doable anymore---I remember watching the DVD of the Snakes and Arrows tour and Circumstances was just not very good. I got off lucky, in that that wasn't in the setlist the night I saw that tour, so the night was solid.

• Locked thread