Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Butt-rock has its place but I'm pretty sure its place is not "get mobbed by civilians and tripped by a dog".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

What if it's a dog-shaped robot buddy?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Glazius posted:

Butt-rock has its place but I'm pretty sure its place is not "get mobbed by civilians and tripped by a dog".
Almost any situation can be improved with butt rock.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Why is butt rock called butt rock?

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes

Tha Duke posted:

Why is butt rock called butt rock?

Cause it's the rear end of rock 'n roll? :shrug:

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Because it's about butts.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Obligatory :v:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
:frogsiren: Updates :frogsiren:

Ep 04: Low Profile Youtube

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012
I can't believe you guys have never heard of rickshaws. This is why we need video games that take place in India(yes, I know rickshaws aren't exclusive to India, but still).

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I hope you ended up buying weapons in here before moving on, because as far as I remember it's the only source of the very useful Backstep skill for quite a while.

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I hope you ended up buying weapons in here before moving on, because as far as I remember it's the only source of the very useful Backstep skill for quite a while.

Knowing Kuvo's playstyle, he'd probably leave that skill unequipped regardless. Then again, he does have Minifoo as his backup.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
You have to get an item to switch characters during battle? And Vicas also mentioned that some of the Tales games make you get an item just to switch your controls to manual, didn't he?

Why would you limit basic functionality like that to an item? I notice it a lot in JRPGs in particular, like how one of the Wild Arms games has an item that lets you skip summon animations. Before you get that item, you have to watch them every single time.

TheUkuleleFanboy
Sep 2, 2011

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I remember that I didn't buy weapons here despite the tutorial and I made it to the end of the game before I realized that Yuri never learned backstep.

I'm good at games.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

You have to get an item to switch characters during battle? And Vicas also mentioned that some of the Tales games make you get an item just to switch your controls to manual, didn't he?

Why would you limit basic functionality like that to an item? I notice it a lot in JRPGs in particular, like how one of the Wild Arms games has an item that lets you skip summon animations. Before you get that item, you have to watch them every single time.

In the case of Tales maybe it's some sort of misguided attempt at slowly introducing various things to player, but I agree it's kind of out of place.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I think the idea is indeed that newcomers aren't entirely overwhelmed but the wealth of options available and they are thus limited until a little while later. The problem of course being that semi-auto entirely sucks and doesn't even make sense. You press attack and suddenly you lose control of yourself and run up to the enemy and probably get hit for your troubles. Like, it's a million times more confusing for a first-time player than just regular ol' manual.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
There's no way I could play this without the Backstep skill. It's just too useful for dodging unpleasant attacks.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Amppelix posted:

I think the idea is indeed that newcomers aren't entirely overwhelmed but the wealth of options available and they are thus limited until a little while later. The problem of course being that semi-auto entirely sucks and doesn't even make sense. You press attack and suddenly you lose control of yourself and run up to the enemy and probably get hit for your troubles. Like, it's a million times more confusing for a first-time player than just regular ol' manual.

Hey, at least they have manual mode. Unlike Ni No Kuni which takes all the worst aspects of semi-auto and forces you to use them forever.

The real dick move about the items that let you change onscreen character and do mid-battle character switches is that they're actually required for some sidequests. I always just bought the DLC that hands them to you for free because seriously, gently caress that noise.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Singh Long posted:

I can't believe you guys have never heard of rickshaws. This is why we need video games that take place in India(yes, I know rickshaws aren't exclusive to India, but still).
Except that's not a rickshaw; it's a three-wheeled harse-corrioge. Rickshaws are usually smaller carts built for one or two folks (where the solo-wheel, if one exists at all, is in the front); this is for transporting of goods and such. It's not a rickshaw -- it's a weirdly-conceived wagon.

IT'S A TRICYCULAR WAGON :stonk:

Geop fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 16, 2013

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've seen Temple of Doom and that one Seinfeld episode enough times to know what a rickshaw is, and that thing wasnt a rickshaw.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

It was a carriage/wagon that had three wheels because anime. Not much else to it.

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012
Sorry, while I never said it was, I really should've made that clear. I was just expecting someone to compare that wagon to a rickshaw. The fact that my mom had been watching TV when I made that post(Indian channels naturally) and overreacts when something bad happens onscreen didn't help. Either that or my dad was trying to do another 100% run of Super Mario World and forced me to beat Tubular 3 times at once for the umpteenth time. Sorry folks, were you expecting a spoiler?

Going back on topic, if the distinct baritone voice didn't tip anyone off, the white-haired dude is voiced by Jamieson Price a.k.a. Iron Tager and the announcer for Super Street Fighter 4/Mortal Kombat 9(I think he also voiced Noob Saibot though I could be wrong on that).

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
I love all the political insertions you guys are making. Got me thinking... A perpetual source of energy, a main character who has a history of fighting the establishment on taxation, and now a capitalist society independent of the government.

Tales of Atlantis: Yuri Shrugged?

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

This video taught me that I've been pronouncing "vignette" incorrectly all along. Thanks for that, I guess?

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Mr. Soop posted:

I love all the political insertions you guys are making. Got me thinking... A perpetual source of energy, a main character who has a history of fighting the establishment on taxation, and now a capitalist society independent of the government.

Tales of Atlantis: Yuri Shrugged?

If you enjoy me adding story motifs you are gonna love the next episode

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Oh god this game is some kind of weird. These games are a great reminder of why I got out of the anime game.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I am so glad that later Tales games give you the ability to do stuff like backstep right off the bat. gently caress, you have to spend SP to use items on other characters! That's so loving stupid. Also I don't know if I should spoil this, but it hasn't actually come up yet. It was kind of unpleasant playing this game after Graces.

Singh Long posted:

Going back on topic, if the distinct baritone voice didn't tip anyone off, the white-haired dude is voiced by Jamieson Price a.k.a. Iron Tager and the announcer for Super Street Fighter 4/Mortal Kombat 9(I think he also voiced Noob Saibot though I could be wrong on that).

Also a voice in other Tales games, notably the best character in Graces.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I've never backstepped in this game.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Camel Pimp posted:

Also a voice in other Tales games, notably the best character in Graces.

Wow, that guy has range. He can do that deep voice and Pascal's?

:D

ETA: My favorite Tales voice is also my overall favorite Tales character. Michelle Ruff does the voice, though I best not go into detail on that until we actually see the character.

Edit2: White-haired guy also gives his life for Aiur.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 16, 2013

Derpes
Oct 5, 2010
I've had no problems whatsoever playing this game on Semi-Auto, even on the harder difficulties. Not sure why you people hate it so much, if you are getting hit too often you just have to backstep/guard/freerun more.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Derpes posted:

I've had no problems whatsoever playing this game on Semi-Auto, even on the harder difficulties. Not sure why you people hate it so much, if you are getting hit too often you just have to backstep/guard/freerun more.

I also usually play on semi-auto so I don't have to put too much effort into making sure my attacks will reach the enemy.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Does semi-auto let you jump in Vesperia? I could see it being problematic for a few characters if you can't, but I've never actually tried it. Tales of Destiny was nice and all when it came out, but kind of hate semi-auto enough to have never tried it any longer than I had to in later games.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Decus posted:

Does semi-auto let you jump in Vesperia? I could see it being problematic for a few characters if you can't, but I've never actually tried it. Tales of Destiny was nice and all when it came out, but kind of hate semi-auto enough to have never tried it any longer than I had to in later games.

You have to be guarding before you can jump in Semi-Auto mode. It makes horizontal jumps a little awkward to do.

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012
The game places less emphasis on jumping and more on distance in terms of combat. There IS an exception to this, but we won't be getting that party member for a while.

Also, I can't remember what it's called, but will the Strategy/Tactic/Formation menu thingy be addressed soon? There's a rather funny fan art that sort-of demos Estelle's notoriously bad AI.

Singh Long fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 17, 2013

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
:frogsiren: Updates :frogsiren:

Ep 05: Don't Be Stupid Youtube

The next few videos will be coming a bit slower as I'm getting ready for a move and won't have time for anime video games.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Singh Long posted:

Also, I can't remember what it's called, but will the Strategy/Tactic/Formation menu thingy be addressed soon? There's a rather funny fan art that sort-of demos Estelle's notoriously bad AI.

Oh yeah, I wanted to mention that but forgot: Estelle's AI is dumb, but you can make it a bit better by setting it to 'Artes Only' instead of the 'Healing' it is by default, and manually turning off all non-magic artes in the Artes menu. That makes her no longer run up to the enemy when everyone's got high HP, but also reduces her likelyhood of healing; it's kind of a tossup, but I prefer the Artes Only style.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Singh Long posted:

There's a rather funny fan art that sort-of demos Estelle's notoriously bad AI.

Hahaha, this one?

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

GIF BLITZ

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Updated the Karol Gif Appreciation Station

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Our new friend is a Dikembe lover, as all good people should be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012
If someone gifts me a spinning OR spazzing Karol avatar, I'll make an SNES version of a ToV song.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Hahaha, this one?

YES! That's it.

Singh Long fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 17, 2013

• Locked thread