Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I for one can't understand why a trailer would present a movie about a Robot Cop as a generic action movie instead of focusing on any deeper themes. This is the same asinine "Not my Robocop" whining that's been happening since the first pictures leaked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Except that post is doing the exact same thing, whining about how it's not True To Robocop based on some pictures and ninety seconds of scenes that are arranged in a different order adn context from the final movie. Glad that's all it takes to deem a movie "soulless" these days.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DeclaredYuppie posted:

I'm pretty sure the movies they've made are 100% actually real things. Like they exist in the world, and are not mere illusions an evil demon has inflicted upon our senses.

That sounds like a pretty accurate description of RLM actually.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I too am angered by unrealistic firearms in a movie about a cyborg police officer. Are you serious?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jefferoo posted:

Ah yes, I too am condescendingly smug and dismissive of anyone who isn't instantly excited for a heavy CG remake void of distinctive art direction

This isn't even true

quote:

or making any attempt to get the viewer to care about the world there-in.

Glad you can tell this from 90 seconds of clips.

quote:

It's not like the character design is entirely reminiscent of every other generic videogame space marine design in existence.

Perhaps a modern Robocop looking like the popular media conception of a Cool Soldier Guy Woo Hoo is the point?

Seriously dude you started off by complaining about how unrealistic something is in a movie about a cyborg cop who stores his gun in his leg and then followed it up with a bunch of sound and fury signifying that you're mad about a remake. That's what I was making fun of you for, nothing else, but since you brought it up

edit: Michael Shannon isn't even in this movie.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 8, 2013

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

He is literally presented as an action figure in this shot. Not that this is a startling piece of information, I just love that the "Look at these sexy KILLING MACHINES" thing isn't, apparently, just a fluke.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 8, 2013

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Swiftboat Rookie posted:

Knowing that the remake is eschewing that in favor of the vaguely plot-related wanderings of modern blockbusters is the biggest offense to me.

Can we knock it off with this bullshit "Well the movie is OBVIOUSLY not going to do this because it wasn't in the sixty seconds of trailer" garbage? For gently caress's sake, people.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Efexeye posted:

\The entire character arc changes when it's a car bomb and his wife (apparently) gets a say in what's done with the body instead of the embodiment of the big bad actually murdering Murphy.

This is not necessarily a bad thing. Perhaps we should wait and see how it is actually handled before dismissing it as a bad thing!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Vintersorg posted:

Such generic action crap...

"On the count of 3.... 3!!!" :downswords:

I would care more if I thought this was going to be an action movie.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Young Freud posted:

That makes me think that Maddox or whatever his name is supposed to be the modern equivalent of Boddecker.

Also, notice he's wearing a power armor rig. If Elysium hadn't come out a few months earlier, he might be a somewhat memorable character. Now, it's going to look like a Kruger ripoff.

Elysium came out in August. It's a full six months apart. It doesn't look like an Elysium ripoff at all.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I like Robert Cop because he walks like this I don't like this other Robert Cop because he walks like this

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

PaganGoatPants posted:

His voice is so human. Ugh.

Once again, the new Robocop is OCP trying to humanize drones. They don't want him to sound like a robot. Him sounding human is kinda the point.

Could we all stop doing this "Ugh it's not like the original, that makes it automatically bad" poo poo? Please?

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 25, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SErious post: Some blowjob with a blog is like the least reputable source and the most likely to have his mind made up that the movie is poo poo and not like the original at all to begin with. I'd give a gently caress if there was anybody left writing reviews who I actually trusted besides the CR guys.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

WarLocke posted:

This 'rebuttal' that gets dragged out whenever someone actually has reservations about this flick is getting real old, honestly.

So is everyone saying "Ugh this doesn't have the passion or the wit of the original" and making up their minds before they even see the loving thing.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LeJackal posted:

Seems like your issue is an inability to perceive passion juxtaposed against souless corporate formulation.

Also dealing with subtext, which would let you recognize the difference between a shallow 'dumb action flick' and a movie with action in it.

That's not what he's saying at all though, he's saying that most people don't bother looking for that subtext. Look how many people think Starship Troopers isn't a satire, for gently caress's sake.

Jesus Christ let's all stop blowing Robert Cop.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

WarLocke posted:

No, more like:

That post is the exception, not the rule. If you're telling me there hasn't been an excess of "B-b-but it's different!!!" I'd like to know who your dealer is.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LeJackal posted:

Its origin is from laziness with the CG, not a deliberate stylistic choice.

I'm glad you can evaluate this from a combined fifteen minutes of footage.

AdmiralViscen posted:

I don't know how anyone older than 15 could miss the satire, especially if they were watching it at the time of it's original release.

There are plenty of 80s action movies that no one remembers or talks about. Writing off Robocop as just another 80s action movie is ignoring a whole lot of forgotten poo poo that the new movie seems to have more similiarities with.

People think Starship Troopers isn't a satire. Don't ever underestimate people's insistence tht poo poo is straight-faced.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LeJackal posted:

We're all working from the same source material. Claims to the contrary are based on the same footage.

And you're the one making absolute judgment calls on why things are the way they are and straight up calling it lazy, so maybe stop being a chode.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LeJackal posted:

So your argument is basically that the 15 minutes of trailer footage we have seen are not at representative of the movie at large? (Also that I'm a chode.)

So in your mind the filmakers and actors and trailer producers sat down and actively deceived us by shooting completely footage completely unlike the movie in design, motion, and writing for unexplained reasons?

If drawing conclusions on a film's design, writing, and plot from the trailer the filmakers release is flawed, we might as well shut down the thread until it comes out, as we obviously can't speculate based on anything but the actual film in its entirety.

Flat out dismissal of any possibility of anything good because of theoretical laziness isn't speculating. It's making up your mind based on marketing.

ANd you come off like a chode because your whole schtick seems to be that these hacks aren't putting love and passion into it like the original and seriously dude come the gently caress on

edit:

quote:

This is a PG-13 focus-group tested slickified 'safe bet' remake of a popular franchise from the past loaded with nostalgia that pretty much ensures the exclusion of:

A) Any form of intellectual exercise, including difficult questions on the nature of identity and the process of death, the machinations of corporatism and subsumation of the individual, or the quintessential struggle for humanity to separate the self from technology.

Are you loving kidding me? This poo poo isn't speculating, it's deciding.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 28, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

quote:

I doubt it came from a place of reverence, otherwise he wouldn't be producing the steaming pile of garbage this film appears to be.

Just speculating guys I totally haven't already decided beyond a shadow of a doubt or anything why are you calling me a chode for saying chode poo poo like this

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Batham posted:

They sure didn't leave much to the imagination in the original Robocop when they blew Murphy's hand off. :wiggle:

Which is in the director's cut.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cody Banks posted:

Fishborne is the one with the prominent gap-tooth. That's how you can tell.

Also the entire rest of their heads.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LeJackal posted:

I had to laugh. If one of them felt like a cartoon, it was the remake. Like a cheap cartoon, too, where everything was phoned in because kids don't care about good scripts or characterization.

For real, can you cut it with this insulting "Nobody cared about the new Robocop" poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Vintersorg posted:

Ferris Bueller is overrated!

I'll cut you.

• Locked thread