Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

a cartoon duck posted:

On the other hand, Blue's quest is literally just side-quests that every other character (except maybe two I think?) has access to. I mean, sure, he can't get to his final dungeon five minutes from starting the game, but every other character at least has their own story quests to do. It's the reason he's one of the two scenarios I never replay, since everything I can do in his is also available in the others.

Yeah, but like I said, he's probably one of the first quests people will play, so while he doesn't have a single speck of unique crap to do outside of being a raging jackass to everyone until much later on, it's the quest to play in order to learn what you need to do to clear the magic sidequests without the interruptions that a couple of the other quests can drop on you if you're just wandering around talking to everyone trying to figure out where to go. And honestly, being able to go back in the other quests you can and talk to/recruit Timelord and Kylin without having to fight them to the death is a really nice step up in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

a cartoon duck posted:

On the other hand, Blue's quest is literally just side-quests that every other character (except maybe two I think?) has access to. I mean, sure, he can't get to his final dungeon five minutes from starting the game, but every other character at least has their own story quests to do. It's the reason he's one of the two scenarios I never replay, since everything I can do in his is also available in the others.

On the other other hand, his quest gives actual story reasons to go to the the optional magic areas. I beat Red's quest first and didn't even know magic gifts existed until I played as Blue for my next run.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Welcome back today we're going to take out the lord of hell. This will be easier than it sounds.
Hell

Last time we got our first glimpse of hell and it wasn't quite what we were expecting. This is another reason I really like Blue's final sequence. Hell really subverts your expectations and even ignoring that, the visual design of the area is really strong. This message you see here means that you get a full heal. If you need to you can come back here as many times as you need to bring the party back to full strength. The angels you see floating around are actually enemies. Touch one of them and...

You're thrust into a battle with an encounter rank +2 monster which for us means we'll be up against the highest end monsters.

But we have Blue so they're not a threat. I actually make a mistake here. Because I ended the battle before I could Stasis Rune I ended up losing all of Blue's JP and WP. A quick trip pack to the healing spot at the entrance though and we're good to go.

The design actually reminds me a lot of some of the early areas of El Shaddai. I think it's the color choices. Very pretty overall.

One interesting note is that the game sort of forces you to use magic. Until you use at least one spell, all other attacks will be crippled and have their damage severely reduced. For example Mei-Ling can't break 1000 with Bound Shots with the dampening effect and normally she's pumping out around 3500+.

One irritating thing about the angels is that you won't know what you're fighting until you encounter them. You could go up against a relatively tame Chimera or a devastating Kraken. Good luck! In an unrelated note, pre-rendered backgrounds are awesome.

Hell actually has some chests here and there, but they didn't have anything too interesting and one of them was even trapped with our good friend the mimic. He goes down without too much trouble.

Once you get to this room you're getting close to the end. These doors all connect to each other.

One of them leads to here. That treasure is a very nice sword, but we'll have to get through a miniboss to grab it.

Meet the Dragon Lord. He likes to use sword attacks, but he's not too bad.

Light Sword comes through for us here, but Dragon Lord deflects us right back. Too bad for him that we get 5 attacks to his one so getting one of our attacks blocked is less of a setback.

Eventually though he goes down.

He leaves us with a nice gift. Thunder absorbs Gas Flame from the Dragon Lord. In and of itself, Gas Flame isn't that good, but combined with a Fire Breath attack I picked up earlier, it turns Thunder into the Chimera which is an end game monster. Just look at those stats!

Of course the Dragon Sword is nice too. It has an attack power of 70 which is one of the highest in the game. It goes on Engineer Car to fuel his Plural Slashes.

And here we are. It's go time.

Last Battle Blue

This is the unoriginally named Hell Lord. As far as final bosses go, he's pretty easy even without abusing all that Blue can do.

He starts the fight by trying to poison everyone. I told you he wasn't that bad.

Eventually he busts out his signature attack. It's not as flashy as Diva's Retribution, but it does the same 300-400 damage that all final boss attacks tend to do.

Like Diva, Hell Lord has two forms. Aside from Sabers, Hell Lord's first form focuses more on status effects. He also has an attack that managed to Palsy both Blue and Mei Ling. This will prove irritating.

Perhaps more interesting is what happens to the background when he changes forms. It turns blood red implying that the heavenly appearance from earlier was just a ruse.

In his second form, Hell Lord focuses more on multiple breath attacks and claw attacks.

Normally they aren't too bad, but he managed to knock out Mei Ling and proceeded to claw the poo poo out of her while unconscious so she lost a lot of LP.

He gets her down to 3 before Blue's able to get her health out of the danger zone.

The fight drags on for a while. He actually scares me quite a bit here when he busts out about 5 life drain attacks in a row. Life Drain just straight up steals one LP as the name suggests. Blue's total LP is rather low so he can't take to many of those. Fortunately, Hell Lord spammed most of them on Engineer Car who's immune.

A few turns later and this happens. Normally, when you land the killing blow the animation is supposed to freeze and a sepia filter is slowly applied. Instead my emulator freaked the gently caress out and just blacked out.

It recovered all right though. Now there's actually been a fair amount of discussion about what the ending of Blue's quest means. One interesting theory is that the freeze is supposed to imply that the fight goes on for all eternity. My personal theory is that Father Time saw all the bullshit that Blue was doing with Time Magic, threw up his hands, and shut the whole thing down.

But regardless of what it means, we are done with Blue's scenario and will be moving on to T260G's next time. I hope you will join me then.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I'm pretty sure that, in Essence, what happens is that Rouge seals himself and the Hell Lord in Hell for all eternity, but thanks to being a super-agreeable guy who'll team up with people 'cause he's a bro, the power of Rouge's friends let him escape and it's a happy ending.

Blue canonically lost the fight because he's a grognard.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
e: ^^^Yeah, that.^^^

If I remember right from the Essence book, Rouge (he's the one that officially wins the duel) traps himself in hell to keep Hell Lord sealed away, but the rest of the party manages to wish Rouge back out through the power of friendship or some poo poo.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
Even though the sepia coloured screen freeze seems like Squaresoft's 2nd Division is cutting out pieces of the storyline due to time constrains once again, I actually kinda like how it ends as is. No unnecessary ending cutscene, no epilogue, nothing. Just a satisfyingly badass freeze frame of Rouge/Blue landing the killing blow on HellLord.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I had accidentally stepped on and cracked my first copy of SF so I had to order a used copy from like ebgames or something. Anyways it comes and its in rough condition so I had to clean it often, it would skip, etc.

Anyways, I finally get to Blue's final boss and that just happens. I think "This loving disc is so broken..." Until I went online to read about the ending and voila, turns out its just a poorly explained, lovely ending.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

From what I heard, Essence also says that the whole point of Blue/Rouge wasn't so much to just defeat everyone in hell as it was to stall them so the surviving magicians can put the lid back on hell without telling him. That's when Rouge's team goes friendshipping him out of there. Blue probably just becomes roomies with Satan instead.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Okay, let me make sure I've got this right:

Magic Kingdom is founded on top of a seal to Hell. The guys running the Kingdom knew the seal was going to break, so they enacted a plan to get around the whole "a person can't have the gift for opposing schools of magic" rule by splitting a dude into two separate beings and sending them out to learn the opposite schools of magic. Then after having them WIZARD DUEL each other to the death so that the winner could reabsorb the loser and become the ultimate magician, they send him into Hell to keep the Hell Lord distracted long enough for them to seal Hell back up along with their pawn.

Man, the guys running Magic Kingdom are assholes. ... Still not sure if they're worse than Roufas and Fuse, though.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Roufas spikes Emelia's drink, she wakes up in Hell wearing a sexy devil costume. Business as usual for Gradius.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

I recall a sorta-theory that the Rouge fight IS the final boss of Blue's campaign. This means the entirety of Hell is effectively postgame content and thus doesn't really need an ending, neener neener neener.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
This is one of the few cases I like Essence's official conclusion rather than what's in the game, because Essence can get drat silly with some of the additional poo poo it pulls on other quests.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

W.T. Fits posted:

Okay, let me make sure I've got this right:

Magic Kingdom is founded on top of a seal to Hell. The guys running the Kingdom knew the seal was going to break, so they enacted a plan to get around the whole "a person can't have the gift for opposing schools of magic" rule by splitting a dude into two separate beings and sending them out to learn the opposite schools of magic. Then after having them WIZARD DUEL each other to the death so that the winner could reabsorb the loser and become the ultimate magician, they send him into Hell to keep the Hell Lord distracted long enough for them to seal Hell back up along with their pawn.

Man, the guys running Magic Kingdom are assholes. ... Still not sure if they're worse than Roufas and Fuse, though.

That's... Blue's scenario in a nutshell, yes! Nice take on the whole "chosen one" thing; you're the chosen one because SURPRISE, we needed a patsy so we engineered it from your birth.

Note the various infants-in-vats right before you went into the Hell Gate.

Blue was potentially not the first time they tried this.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Keeping Satan locked in an eternal battle is a pretty :black101: ending

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
Yeah, I remember thinking my game had crashed when I saw this ending. I was just lucky that I was shocked and outraged long enough to notice everything going sepia before I turned my Playstation off.

W.T. Fits posted:

Man, the guys running Magic Kingdom are assholes.
If it's any consolation, Blue was probably going to wind up being stuck in Hell anyway (pity about Rouge though). And he's probably going to have plenty of time to "discuss things" with the people who set up that plan when they eventually die.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The entire Magic Kingdom and Hell are basically just a playable epilogue, since we already got the credits roll. It's a nice touch, and very in keeping with the Campbellian Monomyth. We were given a goal at the beginning of the game: Master magic and kill Rouge. When we accomplish that, our story is not over. Imagine if Lord of the Rings pulled back and went to credits after the ring is thrown into Mount Doom.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Dareon posted:

The entire Magic Kingdom and Hell are basically just a playable epilogue, since we already got the credits roll. It's a nice touch, and very in keeping with the Campbellian Monomyth. We were given a goal at the beginning of the game: Master magic and kill Rouge. When we accomplish that, our story is not over. Imagine if Lord of the Rings pulled back and went to credits after the ring is thrown into Mount Doom.

This is hilarious given that the actual epilogue of the Lord of the Rings got cut out of the movies.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Ardeem posted:

This is hilarious given that the actual epilogue of the Lord of the Rings got cut out of the movies.

I think you mean 'one of the seventeen actual epilogues'. Seriously, I was only briefly surprised when they decided to make three movies out of just 'The Hobbit'; fine as Peter Jackson's version is, in some ways it only highlights how unfilmable the original books really are.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
While I was defending the early portion of Blue's quest earlier on, I admit that I find the ending to this quest to be a full pot of horse turd stew on Square's part. I don't care how much your budget's getting slashed, you leave enough so that your developers can actually finish the bloody story, not make them slap a screentone on it and fade out. The fact that the ending only makes any sense at all if you went and bought the Essence book makes this even worse, like some early 90s era version of DLC. The one thing to this whole mess that I'm willing to forgive is that the idea of Rouge going down there and duking it out with Satan by himself is about the most :black101: thing anyone ever does in this game.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Derek Barona posted:

While I was defending the early portion of Blue's quest earlier on, I admit that I find the ending to this quest to be a full pot of horse turd stew on Square's part. I don't care how much your budget's getting slashed, you leave enough so that your developers can actually finish the bloody story, not make them slap a screentone on it and fade out. The fact that the ending only makes any sense at all if you went and bought the Essence book makes this even worse, like some early 90s era version of DLC. The one thing to this whole mess that I'm willing to forgive is that the idea of Rouge going down there and duking it out with Satan by himself is about the most :black101: thing anyone ever does in this game.
Considering the rest of this game, what would they do? Give us two lines of characteristically awkward dialogue and an aggressively 90s-looking CGI? I'm fine with how they ended it, personally, since it sort of leaves it up for interpretation, and it's not like this game's storytelling is so masterful that we're really losing out on the two-minutes-max ending.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Derek Barona posted:

For Blue's quest I'd honestly argue that no matter how much money you gave the team, that's how they'd end it. The feeling of being cheated is very much intentional. Now, having more buildup to the idea that you can't win this fight or that going down to Hell here is a suicide mission would absolutely be in order. But just kinda fading out mid-battle? Defintely how the quest is supposed to end.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I am curious why exactly Hell looks like a city of angels. Are we going to find that out in another path?

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Glazius posted:

I am curious why exactly Hell looks like a city of angels. Are we going to find that out in another path?

Sort of? It's not explicitly stated ingame, but it is in the big Essence book.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

CmdrKing posted:

For Blue's quest I'd honestly argue that no matter how much money you gave the team, that's how they'd end it. The feeling of being cheated is very much intentional. Now, having more buildup to the idea that you can't win this fight or that going down to Hell here is a suicide mission would absolutely be in order. But just kinda fading out mid-battle? Defintely how the quest is supposed to end.

That's sort of what I mean. If there had been some sort of explanation or warning ahead of time that they were going to seal Hell in the middle of the fight, even if it was just Blue/Rouge thinking it to himself that he needed to stall for a few more minutes, it would've made sense. With no explanation or setup at all, it just feels half-assed.

I probably sound a lot angrier about it than I actually am. It gets on my nerves as a writer, sure, but it doesn't ruin my whole day. It's basically just the one thing in Blue's quest that annoys me enough to criticize it when I'm willing to give everything else a shrug and let it go.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Blue and Fuse's quest and final notes

So there's much less interaction between Blue/Rouge and Fuse in Fuse's quest. In large part this is because there isn't a whole lot too Blue's quest. As a result this will be quite a bit shorter than Emelia's writeup for Fuse's quest.

-One of the first things that happens in Fuse's quest is that he briefly runs into Blue. Fuse mistakes him for an attractive woman at first, and is taken aback when he discovers that Blue is a dude. This is not helped by the fact that Blue is already acting a little paranoid and unhinged due to his impending duel with Rouge.
-As was mentioned in Emelia's section, Fuse runs into the group and has them carry the frozen Suzaku out of Mosperiburg to earn the Shield card. Rouge is paranoid like Blue, which is not helped when Fuse states that he ran into Blue.
-Fuse is ordered to investigate Magic Kingdom and arrives in the midst of the whole scene where monsters are escaping from Hell. In particular he meets up with a magician who has magic mastery and can cast Energy Chain indefinitely. He also notes that the monsters aren't taking any damage from his high powered guns and learns about the barrier that reduces damage that must be dispelled by magic. Some nice little plot and gameplay integration there.
-Rouge shows up and returns the Shield Card to Fuse after winning his duel with Blue. He seems very confident and focused contrary to Fuse's first meetings with him. He goes down into Hell by himself which brings Fuse to tears. Fuse is confident that he'll come back alive and is grateful that his tears are masked by the rain. :japan:
-Rouge shows up at a pivotal moment in the fight against the big boss and his Vermillion Sand spell intercepts some high powered missiles. He tell's Fuse that he could feel Fuse's confidence that he would return, and that's what gave him the extra strength to fight on and escape Hell :japan:

In addition to the stuff from Essence, the TAS for Blue's scenario is quite neat and is only 20 minutes long. Some highlights include skipping the entire Rune quest by warping out of Tanzer, immediately getting petrified in the duel with Rouge, and stylin' all over Hell Lord with Overdrive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKJASY0AY9s

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
That is indeed some style points for finishing the final boss. I like how he attempts to stick to the Essence Book story too in the way he goes about killing him too.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
It's interesting to note how you can clear the gift flags without actually getting the gifts themselves. How'd he nail Hell Lord, though? I saw Overdrive, missed the first move/item in Overdrive, then Soul Rune, Shadow Servant, MegaWindBlastx4, then Towerx2. The Shadow Servant is obvious enough, but the MWBs only did a little over 12,000 between them, so I'm curious how the other stuff factored into making the Two Towers a killing blow, since iirc, Tower's gimped pretty bad in Overdrive.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Derek Barona posted:

It's interesting to note how you can clear the gift flags without actually getting the gifts themselves. How'd he nail Hell Lord, though? I saw Overdrive, missed the first move/item in Overdrive, then Soul Rune, Shadow Servant, MegaWindBlastx4, then Towerx2. The Shadow Servant is obvious enough, but the MWBs only did a little over 12,000 between them, so I'm curious how the other stuff factored into making the Two Towers a killing blow, since iirc, Tower's gimped pretty bad in Overdrive.

I think the first thing he used was a snake oil. If it behaves like I think it does, it would have removed the 0 WP/JP cost for all moves as well as the effect where you lose all of your WP/JP at the end of Overdrive. In this case, it would make it so the MegaWindblasts and Tower spells do full damage.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
That would explain Tower, and Soul Rune is a general buff. Sheesh, now I just want to see that done in a fight where we'd see the numbers.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Oh man. I just know there's some guy in a top hat lurking out there. :stonk:

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Chokes McGee posted:

Oh man. I just know there's some guy in a top hat lurking out there. :stonk:

And me without my chainsaw...

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
This is late,but i think another neat thing about the magic duel is that when you put the brother's death quotes together, it forms a full thought. It's something like

Blue: How could you ever beat me? This

Rouge: Is unbelievable.

I just think it's a nice touch in light of the one person two bodies reveal.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Hey y'all, update should be up sometime in the next couple days. It being a bit bigger than usual with lots of dialog to transcribe as well as Dark Souls 2 are the reasons for the delay.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Welcome back. As T260G won the vote we will be starting his quest in order to experience all that mechy goodness.

T260's quest starts out in Junk, a region of metal scavengers. It's only available in this scenario and only briefly.

This here is Thyme, he's searching the area for salvageable pieces of scrap.

When he reaches the bottom of the area, we're transitioned to a scene of a captain in the midst of an emergency on his battleship.

:siren:Possibly, but landing is impossible
:awesomelon:All right. After re-entering the region, all personnel must evacuate ship. This is goodbye.

:siren: Initiating evacuation. Confirming...All personnel have evacuated safely...Removing ship's protective shield....

:siren:Ship can now continue mission. Starboard 120.

Hmm that doesn't seem very good.

ACK!! I don't think I'll ever get used to these types of screens. They look so bad. So bad infact, that T260G blacks out again when he sees Thyme here.

And after finally finding a living core!
:cthulhu:That's how it goes I had to make this with scrap parts.
Was the core really alive?
:cthulhu:See for yourself. There, you can move it.

It looks dead. Thank God. Live ones bring less money.
You thinking of selling him, sis?

Along with Thyme here we also have Rosemary, the girl with the pink hair, and Uncle Taco the large octopus. No, I don't get it either.

Of course! Even the worst core can bring in at least a month's rent.

T260G stands up and zips around for a while before determining, that the scrap he's been remade with is a bunch of poo poo.
Confirming status of moving parts. Condition: Movement:Deplorable Attack: Deplorable Defense:Deplorable.
:cthulhu: I brought you back to life and you're complaining?...deplorable...some gratitude!
Confirming next mission: Unable.
It must have been a combat model.
A combat model!? Yesss! I finally hit the jackpot.
Malfunction. Repairs needed.
A combat model...kinda scary.
I'm Thyme. I dug you out of the crater. You ought to be grateful.

So here we gain control of our little robot. As other's have noted, this scenario has one of the more coherent plotlines. Which is nice, but it also means that there's a lot more dialog for me to transcribe (booo).

I'll call you: Sir Thyme.
Heh, heh, Sir Thyme. That's weird.
No more talk, Thyme. Go find some scrap parts!
State you rank and class, miss.

In general I like the interaction between Thyme and Rosemary, the game nails the older sister, younger brother relationship pretty well.

Are you the officer in charge of Sir Thyme?
:cthulhu:Ha, ha, ha...yeah something like that.
Stop teasing, Uncle Taco.
That's Uncle Taco. He knows lots about mecs and machines. In fact, he assembled you.
You are an engineer, Sir Uncle Taco?
Ha, ha! Sir Uncle Taco...Now there's a classy name.
:cthulhu:Don't put "Sir" in front of everything. Just call me Taco.
What is your name?
Model T 260 ID Number 7074-8782-1099
What'll we call him?

How about T260?

What? How does that make any sense? He'll do this for any name by the way. Kind of unfortunate for someone who wanted to name their mech Don I suppose.
Then it's T260G. No more small talk! Go find some scrap parts.

I'm not alone anymore. Let's go on an expedition. We're the Thyme Expedition Team! And I'm the captain.
Yes, Sir Thyme.

Yes, Captain Thyme.

A pop culture reference? What is this a Working Designs game?

DARN YOU THYME! Anyway, this is the main hub of Junk, it's surprisingly vibrant for a place made of rusted scrap metal. Up towards the northern part of time we encounter a mec bothering a couple trying to conduct business.

:psylon:Didn't I tell you to sell it to me?
:j:This gentleman here will pay more. Why should we only sell to the Caballero family?
:psylon:Eagghhh! Give it to me!
:j:Nice doing business with you.

:psylon:What is it?
Question: What is general standard time currently?
:psylon: What the hell is that? You should get your memory card checked.

The general buzz around town is that Caballero is trying to gain control of the scrap trade here. As you may imagine we will be mucking things up for them.

There's even a shop and they sell some very nice things. Maybe we should grind up to get them?

Oh.

What is your mission?
Class S top priority mission. Exact directives cannot be confirmed due to internal memory failure. Must confirm exact details of mission/
Sounds really difficult.

This is a neat little bit of world building. Just goes to show how advanced the Saga universe is that robots and spaceships are over 20,000 years old. Next we go to the landing pad to get a bit more info on T260G.

Finally we head over to the combat arena.

I'm not supposed to come here, but I sneak in sometimes. Don't tell my sister I brought you here.
Yup the battle arena is pretty seedy, there's a familiar face to be found in the back though.

Gen!
Oh, it's you, Thyme. Is that yours?
Yeah, I found the core in a crater and Taco re-assembled it for me.
Looks pretty good.
It's a combat model.
Oh yeah? Are you gonna let it fight today?
Well....
If it's a combat model, it's gotta be strong. I'll bet on it. Now kick some butt.

I don't know why but this line made me laugh. Also talking to that slime registers us for the arena.

Most of these fights are incredibly simple. Start each fight by blasting the enemy with the Junk Bazooka and then punch them until they die.

Yup. Now at the end of each fight we'll get a broken item. We can take these back to Uncle Taco to repair them.

Like so. By doing this we get a better piece of equipment, since mech stats are tied to equipment, this is important to making T260G more viable.

I think this is the evil genius's mech we saw earlier.

He goes down easier than the first.

It's kind of annoying running back and forth each time, but doing so prevents the last fight from being very luck based.

Not there yet, this guy is a chump.

Here's a shot of Junk Bazooka by the way. After the fight we go back to hang out with Gen.

Uh-oh Busted!
How many times do I have to tell you not to come here!? What if T260G breaks?
Don't worry. He's really strong.
Thyme! If his core breaks, he can never be revived. Did you ever think of that?...What was that?

We here some gunshots in the background Thyme and Rose head out to the main arena to investigate.

It's the rude mech we met earlier in town! Time to run ASSKICK.exe

Knock it off! We're not afraid of you or Caballero. T260G, get him!
T260G can't handle that monster!

So time to beat the screws out of this guy.

He doesn't have much health, but he can dish it pretty well. If you didn't repair all of the stuff with Taco this fight can be pretty luck reliant.

With it though, he just goes down too quick.

He still managed to do a number on T260G though.

Thank you Sir Taco.
:cthulhu:And no more of that "Sir" business.

Captain Thyme? Does he make you call him that? He'll never grow up. He went to find some parts for you.
Another pop culture reference! This is kind of misleading though. What we really need to do is go back to the arena and chat with Gen.

Good one! Glad I bet on you!

Something?
Go help Thyme!
Roger, Ms. Rose

:cheers:Like that drunk'll be any help!
:nyd:Gen please pay before you go.
Later! I'll take care of the bill. Please hurry!

Based on what Rose said earlier, we can guess that Thyme was at the scrap yard when he was kidnapped. This is confirmed when we find Thyme's hat on the ground. You would usually see it, but here T260G is blocking it because I am a pro at taking screenshots.

And as Gen mentioned, he's coming along and he's very good. In particular you should take a peek at his locked skills if this is your second playthrough. He has Cross Slash hidden away in there and it's devastating this early on.

Anyway, this is as good a stopping point as any so tune in next time when we go crack some skulls with our drunk and our robot!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
One semi-cool thing I thought I'd mention: if you go back to the Landing Pad after Thyme is kidnapped, T260G will have an updated priority list with rescuing the little scamp as his temporary top priority. It really shows that this scenario was one of the most developed ones when they show off the little things like that.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

dude789 posted:

Along with Thyme here we also have Rosemary, the girl with the pink hair, and Uncle Taco the large octopus. No, I don't get it either.

In Japanese, the word for "octopus" is "tako".

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I never noticed "Grain Cannon" there.

The word for "Particle" in Japanese can also be translated as "Grain". :v:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah t260g is one of most developed scenarios of the game.Probably tied with red. I'm looking forward to seeing all the small stuff I missed.

And I guess the monster scenario is technically well developed, but gently caress playing that scenario.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
Another one of those small quirks this game I enjoy are how the non-T260G Mecs actually speak like normal human beings; at least compared to T260G who talks like any robot you'd expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Thwack! posted:

Another one of those small quirks this game I enjoy are how the non-T260G Mecs actually speak like normal human beings; at least compared to T260G who talks like any robot you'd expect.

Well they are at least 2000 years more advanced :v:

And t260g was talking normally in the intro, least I'm pretty sure that is t260g. If that is t260g, that implies some serious damage to the ai.

• Locked thread