Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Bored posted:

There's a "Sir Pounce-a-lot" in Game of Thrones?! :aaa:

If the most recent episode has taught me anything, one of the little blonde Baratheon boys has a cat named Ser Pounce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Lotish posted:

What's that a reference to?

Fable I assume.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Playing something that is not enjoyable is a waste of time and money, no matter how little you pay for it. Do not play Dragon Age 2 because it is like choosing to sit through Star Wars Ep 2 for 10 hours because there was a 5 dollar special showing.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I eagerly await the day when voice technology advances to the point where characters will refer to me by my true name "sniperdude420"

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Lotish posted:

Mass Effect has this too, what with you getting your game on with up to three lucky squaddies across the franchise, but they all call you Shepard.

And this is why your name is always "Douchebag" no matter what you enter in Stick of Truth.

It kind of works with Garrus though. I feel like their relationship would be extremely formal.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Kajeesus posted:

It's not. And regardless, it doesn't really work when Shepard refers to any potential lover by their first name.

You're wrong on both accounts. A huge aspect of their relationship is the fact that Garrus sees Shepard as an authority figure, even when they're romantically involved. This also explains why Garrus would refer to Shepard as such, because Shepard has always been his superior.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Disco Infiva posted:

I hate things.

- Le Schtroumpf Grognon

I really liked the grounded magical setting in DA:O, I prefer my magical settings to have rules and limits. But if I remember right, did they kinda already broke their no teleportation rule in Awakening? I think that there was one Awakening added talent from one specialization or something that got you zipping around a designated area stabbing people. Can't remember the specifics, but that was kinda like teleporting.

Yeah that was one of the rogue abilities. Rogues in general were completely broken in Awakening and could basically be invisible doing ludicrous amounts of crit damage for entire battles.

epitasis posted:

it's rogues

Well that's embarrassing.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Counterpoint: Do not play on easy because that defeats the whole appeal of the combat. It's supposed to be hard and you'll probably die a lot in the beginning but once you get going and start to understand the combat you'll be kicking rear end and you'll feel good doing so because it feels like you're matching the challenge rather than the challenge disappearing.

Definitely get it, it's a great game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I mean goons are always going to be more likely to voice negative opinions more quickly than positive ones but it seems to me that the more common opinion is that the combat was one of the better parts of Origins so I'd say for a new player it's worth playing on normal at least at first. If you don't like it then turn it down.

And yeah, it's relatively slow-paced but that's not necessarily a flaw it's just supposed to encourage you to spend some time thinking out your moves before making them.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 9, 2014

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

IPlayVideoGames posted:

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure I remember archer specs being terrible also, so probably skip on that and just take another mage instead.

Really, take as many mages as you can.

Yeah they buffed archers in Awakening but for the base campaign they're pretty rear end. Personally I found rogue to be really fun as it has a high risk/reward system. You have to be careful about the situations you get yourself into but you can do hefty damage to single targets.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

sauer kraut posted:

Backstab rogue is fun in theory, but the AI is terrible at tanking and holding aggro.
So after one hit enemies turn around and you end up dueling stuff all the time, and you ask yourself why bother playing a lovely squishy warrior.

I never really had this issue. I found Alistair using taunt (or something similar, don't remember what the actual move was) could agro well enough that I could get my damage in.

Plus rogues have a ton of stun abilities. Dirty fighting in particular you get super early and stuns virtually anything.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 9, 2014

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I have a strong distaste for Felicia Day because I kept hearing people rave about The Guild, a show which is pretty much the definition of low-budget crap. I can't imagine why anyone would say anything good about it beyond "oh drat she's hot AND she plays video games! Maybe she'll marry me!"

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Darkhold posted:

Yes I can't imagine why people watch a show filled with nerd jokes and references. I mean it is low budget after all nobody could think she's funny or can act.

I only watched a season of that show it wasn't my thing but it's pretty easy to see why people like it.

Only it wasn't funny or well written. That was part of the "crap" part of it. I mean, maybe people could get some enjoyment out of it but I can't imagine how.

It's like an even more poorly written, more stereotypically "gamer" big bang theory. It's the gamefuel of shows.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

It's almost like taste is subjective or some bullshit.

Yes and "I" have a strong distaste for Felicia Day because "I" think her show was terrible. I don't remember insisting you agree.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

Yes, but nobody cares what you think. I'm very sorry that an internet TV show makes you so angry.

Ok well gently caress off I guess then? I'm not really angry and people were discussing liking/not liking Felicia Day. Regardless this is a really dumb derail.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Have we actually seen in-game shots of the Qunari at this point or is it all just concept art? I hope they scale back on their design a little bit. I preferred Sten in Origins, despite looking relatively human people still were prejudiced against him because they saw him as having monstrous ideals, as opposed to literally looking like a monster. Also, because he was ostensibly a murderer but let's just ignore that for a second.

They definitely are an interesting group though. I like it when Bioware expands on their more calculated, less emotional races. I wish they had done more with the Elcor in Mass Effect.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I don't really hate her, I mean I've never met her, I just am kind of annoyed that she got so much acclaim for putting out work ranging from shoddy to passable. I've done some script-writing for stage plays and I'm of the opinion that if you're going to put it up for people to see it should be the absolute best product you can make. I consistently got the feeling from that show that it was being produced with very little effort and that gives me a bad impression of the person who created it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Without Diana Allers we may never have had "We'll bang, ok?" and I don't want to live in that world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Darth Windu posted:

Seriously. Also Skyrim dragons were hard as h*ck what are you people on.

They were hard when you just started but by end game they stop posing even a little bit of a threat.

• Locked thread