Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Konami just updated the Steam page for Ground Zeroes with some info, including confirmation of the December 17th release date and some PC enhancements.

Just open for pre-orders so I can give you money, you silly doofs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

acksplode posted:

I don't think anyone disagrees that Kojima can't invent a plot justification for Quiet's outfit. It doesn't change he fact that the outfit is dumb and exploitative and implies a somewhat insulting view of us and what we want to see in our games.
Who is "we", and when were you selected to speak for us?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Peace Walker really is the most anime Metal Gear game. The Monster Hunter and bubble popping missions really solidify it.

And ROCKET PEACE too I guess.

The most videogame Metal Gear game. (also the most anime, but not for the reasons cited). These are good examples of why Peace Walker is my most favorite of the series. It strips away a lot of the cinematics in favor of something that can simply just be played. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the cinematics, but the series, until Peace Walker (technically Portable Ops) has been far too constraining in favor of strictly following a script that I lost steam going into MGS4, and have still never completed a playthrough of the game.

This is one reason I am incredibly psyched for TPP. It looks like it will largely have a similar mission based progression as Peace Walker, which means the script is likely going to be spliced up and facilitate taking a bunch of side missions (or else replaying missions) at the player's discretion. At the same time, those 'peace walker' style missions should otherwise take place in large open maps in the same vein as Ground Zeroes. Heck, even GZ presents this pretty well, where you are (can) return to the same map with different objectives.

That sort of style also has the benefit of including strictly "fun" missions, like the bubble popping missions without really breaking any of the pace or tone of the script as a whole. Additionally, it affords including other odd missions that carter more toward pure stealth/pure aggression/etc without really interrupting the player's own sort of narrative in the script at large. So, say the player wants to play Snake strictly non-lethal, they can keep playing the game between story missions to blow off steam by going guns blazing in some optional missions/replay earlier story missions.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

"For the last time, it means good luck, Kaz. Jeeze. Now bring in the child soldiers."

"I will call them Himmel Jugend."

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Full Battle Rattle posted:

What is the next event where we'll learn anything?

There's some chatter maybe we'll have something coming out of VGX. The original ambiguous Phantom Pain trailer was technically released at the 2012 event, for example, so I guess it's possible.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

What does the blue light do, anyway? I habitually turn off the flashlights and just gank people with SMG fire and knives half the time.

Check the opening cutscene and see what Skullface does to the XOF markings on the helicopter.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

Nothing but the hint that it'll help us out. Same with the portable app base management.

Welp, I just completed every mission earlier today... I'm getting it on PC, however, and I'm not seeing any indication of the app being updated to support PC connectivity. Provided, GZ is out and considering the GZ integration is a fairly big deal for the app itself, an update may simply be waiting in the wings.

That all said, it's a pretty dumb move on anyone's part to go to a great deal of trouble over this. Considering the ending in GZ and the 9 year time skip, whatever bonus they yield it will undoubtedly be insignificant.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Quiet is only one of a few buddies you can bring along on missions. The question is whether or not Kojima himself won't be one of them.

If nothing else we might be able to find him milling about at Mother Base after recruiting him.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Terminally Bored posted:

Same here. I also have this delusion that Konami will release HD Collection on Steam some time. And I feel stupid because I've seen the Zero Punctuation review lately and the guy spoiled pretty much all the twists in the game.

I don't think that is much of a delusion. At this point, especially if GZ sells well, there may be a serious chance of something like the HD collection popping up on Steam even before TPP is released. MGS4/Legacy collection may even be a possibility if nothing else happens before TPP.

Regardless, I am super pumped for GZ on PC. I didn't bother with it on PS3, lower framerates tend to give me migraines. Figured I'd at least wait for TPP before paying too much attention, but since both have been announced for release on Steam and I couldn't be more happy. Pulled out the HD collection and have been running through Sons of Liberty a bunch. Going to do a MGS3+Peace Walker story marathon over Thanksgiving to maybe hype up a friend, and hopefully in the long run we'll be invading one another's base sometime next year.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Isn't it just much easier to disregard MGS4 entirely and pretend the Plant section of MGS2 is nothing but VR?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Holographic Universe. Kojima has been playing us from the beginning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThutNUSMDfY

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Quasipox posted:

MGS4 shenanigans
Spoilers touching MGS2 and 4

So, MGS2's themes was all about Memes, that is, ideas evolving and being passed along from generation to generation, where MGS1 was about actual genetics. Ocelot sort of idolized Liquid, or else thought of Liquid as a son. I guess the implication is that Ocelot did not want Liquid's "meme" to die and went to extremes in an effort to try and keep Liquid alive which included hypnosis, and not simply pursuit of Outer Heaven/etc. Liquid was never taking over Ocelot, unless you take it from the context of memes, in which case you ask what made Liquid "Liquid".

That is only one part of Ocelots taking Liquid's hand, however. Primarily it was for the sake of passing the Patriot's biometric checks, where Liquid was a clone of Big Boss. It turned out Liquid's genetic code was insufficient, and Solidus's body was ultimately necessary(?).

Most of it is just the meta analysis of what makes a person what they are, genes and/or memes.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

or whether Eli might parallel Elijah as a prophet of doom in Moby Dick.

Didn't consider that. I assumed it referenced Eliab, King David's older brother who technically should by birth-right probably should have become King of Israel. No reason it can't reference both, considering the original "Moby Dick Studio's" trailer.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

I'm actually more concerned about the performance of an animation/frame locking game on the other end of the spectrum. If the frame rate stutters or slows down even a little bit in that scenario, the entire game gets slowed down with it. I remember not being able to play Prototype on the PC before I upgraded my video card for this exact reason. The frame rate would jump around everywhere so the game would speed up and slow down constantly, making it unplayable and pretty much impossible to fall into any kind of a gameplay rhythm.

I don't see a problem with playing games at 60fps obviously, but seeing how things like 120Hz and higher displays are rapidly becoming commonplace in the market. The whole thing just seems like a totally unnecessary constraint that can only degrade performance with no possible upsides.

You're probably reading too much into the "locked". I'm seeing that as more of a translation error, because we've already seen gameplay demonstrations that fail to maintain 60fps but the gameplay does not slow down. It probably just means it will not exceed 60 fps. I can't say I agree with that choice, but I'm also not all that perturbed about it. Chances are it will be a simple unlock, and chances are also not too unlikely that it won't break anything either.

Having said that, IF frame rate is ACTUALLY locked at 60, my guess is frame drops will simply halve frame rate (sucks hard, but whatever, this can be addressed well enough given configuration options), and my guess would be frame locking the game is a matter of terribly net coding that simply aims to use frame limit/lock to help sync the code. Again, it's a bummer and I can't agree, but net code is a hugely complicated beast, especially if you're trying to sync player input AI and physics across large environments. If there stands to be one failing of Koji and TPP, this will probably be it, even if practically speaking it just works out and networked play is flawless, it would (in this hypothetical) depend on a very unfortunate hard system limitation to accomplish it.

Anyway, all this to say we really don't know what's going on. If it is a network issue, then even GZ PC may not give us any idea what they really mean, or why, but it still stands to clear things up.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Time to finally earn that Markhor rank

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Looks nice. Increased draw distance and light sources make the Camp Omega look much more alive. Its subtle, but still very nice for the night time scene.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/metal-gear-solid-v-ground-zeroes-worlds-first-pc-screenshots
Better screenshot comparisons, instead of youtube captures. Click on the images for a comparison slider.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

K8.0 posted:

MGS2 is honestly a pretty good game as long as you don't save very often.

Hell, just skip the cutscenes/forced codecs. I actually did a few run throughs a few weeks back collecting dog tags and had way more fun with it than I thought I would. Cleared Very Easy up through Normal and well into Hard, but I think I'm going to quit after finishing there. MGS2 gets silly difficult past very hard (extreme/euroextreme). Olga can literally kill you in a single shot, lots of bosses generally can kill you in two, and gently caress that entirel gauntlet of Arsenal Tengu toward the end of the game.

That said, there are still a bunch of good codec calls you can get if you actively call in while doing various things. It is still pretty much the king of "the developers thought of everything" trope. It's really worth playing in a way that you TRY to be a dick, then calling people just to see if there is any commentary for it.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Yeah, that was my interpretation as well. Her confrontation about it with Jack is the sort of thing you might say if you're concerned about someones stability, but still trust them enough to believe they will not ACTUALLY beat your poo poo.

Not that Raiden is not a violent nut case. That is the basis for his entire character arc.
First he denies it. Eventually he believe he over came it. Ha ha, nope, bar fights. Comes to terms with violence as his nature, but rationalizes violence is not inherently bad; you can use it for good. Then he proceeds confidently apply violence against morally ambiguous villains while believing he is morally justified. :downs:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

If iDroid will work under multiplayer I will have to grab a 10" tablet during holiday sales.

How did this work out in GZ? I really can't imagine having a tablet around or whatever being any more convenient than a start menu, whether or not the game actually pauses.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

I can't tell if the adaptive enemy AI thing sounds cool or annoying. I guess it's because it seems to me like it's specifically designed to detect your favorite play style and then force you to stop playing like that.

It depends on what degree the changes can influence things. Remember, you can call in and swap supplies on the field, so if things change, it seems more an incentive for the player to actually USE the other resources they have available, rather than just use the exact same strategy/tactics from start to finish.

Further, I personally got the impression that a lot of the dynamic options would only be situational. Example, various missions will take place in the same location. If you perform well there, it will not necessarily impact other missions, UNLESS they also take place at the same general location. This way the entire game doesn't just become silly difficult or else FORCE you to adopt a playstyle you don't like, but it might ask you to do some missions somewhere else on the map for a little while until 'NPC resources' are sort of redistributed so you can more comfortably go back to that first general mission area. This would then make intentional mission selection a part of the strategic gameplay, rather than a mere contrivance for the purposes of progression.

We'll have to wait and see, but what I can say confidently, is TPP is likely going to be 'love it or hate it'. Far Cry and Crysis are often seen as nothing more than just another shooter, and to the defense of those individuals, it wasn't until Far Cry 2 that that series actually opened up enough to REALLY be something difference, despite it losing a lot in the process. Anyway, the point is, those games can easily be overlooked if you are the sort of gamer that tends to follow objective markers. Those games in particular stand out when you try hit-and-run, or scouting your targets and carefully devising a plan before executing it. MGS is a series known for its attention to detail, and huge variety of options. The open/dynamic format TPP seems to be adopting sounds like a perfect fit to me.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Party Boat posted:

All-female units?

Force the NPCs to earn that Girl Power Insignia in Peace Walker.

+2500 Heroism.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Official link for whenever they start streaming (via Youtube)
http://thegameawards.com/watch-live/

Twitch link for people who may have trouble with the youtube on the main site.
http://www.twitch.tv/thegameawards

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 5, 2014

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

geeko55 posted:

This multiplayer announcement should be awesome. Why do I have to be stuck at work? I want 1v1 deathmatches and Co-Op to be confirmed really badly.

Keep me posted guys and gals. :f5:

You will probably be able to follow pretty close at https://twitter.com/junkerhqnet. They are typically on the ball.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
So that selfie deal was probably a legit game mechanic, enabling players to send you a picture of that time they totally yoked your poo poo.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

So we had a whole MGS Translation Discussion in the FFVIILP Thread (naturally) and now I'm watching Chip's MGS1 LP and it reminded me of something.

What do they mean when they say something is based on "currently existing technology?" I think they used that term in MGS2 as well.

My only guess is it's some sort of weirdly phrased Fourth Wall term wherein they are stating the technology they're using in game, in spite of the game taking place in the hypothetical future, is based on things that existed in the real world at the time of the games' creation.

It just means it is an amalgamation of existing technologies. The Soliton Radar is one of the easier to understand examples. It uses existing systems, such as GPS, and then compiles/parses the data from those systems to both extrapolate information those individual systems are incapable of, and also display that information in an easy to understand format.

The flip side to using the phrase is to suggest that there is no special techno black magic going on and whatever they are talking about can be defeated relatively easily.

vv yeah, that especially. The language does sound stupid in context... it's ALL currently existing technology or else it wouldn't exist... but the implication is that it is technology that is basically available to just any and everyone.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Dec 9, 2014

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Bholder posted:

So how does the mouse controls work, is it like PC FPS games, or is it like the MGS2 PC/Emulator where the mouse tries to emulate the Analogue stick.
No one would really know, since we have had frequent assurances by publishers that the product wouldn't do dumb poo poo like reverse mouse acceleration, only to have game after game in the series pull the same poo poo (Far Cry).

That said, I believe a community manager somewhere around insisted that mouse control would not use mouse acceleration, but that can still be a far cry from raw input.

It's only about a week away. Just wait to ask these questions when anyone here can say anything with certainty.

MrLonghair posted:

e: That was short. Spotlights panning in the distance, mouse and keyboard-play demonstrated by using it for a 40 meter snapshot headshot.
Short, and I missed it. :( Still, it's just GZ, but on PC. There's not really much to show off. Might have been nice if they maybe demonstrated how is scaled downward, but what publisher would allow their game to be demoed at anything short of highest quality settings?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

You sound like some sort of expert. Is it easy for them to incorporate support for it on pc? As in, could they leave the support for the controller from the console version in the pc version, just make a few tweaks or something?
Yes and no. Simply offering up enough DInput support that DS4 users can get their controllers working isn't going to be a big deal. It isn't even a big deal to actually detect the thing and even update button prompts accordingly.

The 'problem' is once you go down the DInput rabbit hole, you open the doors to all sorts of people trying to play your game with racing wheels, flight sticks, or who knows what the gently caress else. Even if you try to lock your software to only Dualshock4 devices, nothing is perfect, and DInput is so massive that other controllers are going to work, while other controllers are going to "work". You also look like an rear end in a top hat when you specifically support the DS4, but you do not support the LogiRazor XXX. Like it or not, but Xinput in the PC game pad standard. Specifically, the Xbox 360 is the PC gamepad standard.

It is not the developers "fault" for not supporting anything outside of that scope. I would personally like them to, but there is no significant reason for them to do so. No, the fault rests with peripheral manufacturers not supporting their device to modern DirectX standards. In this case, point fingers at Sony. I don't like Xinput, but it IS effectively the standard, which means the 360 controller is PC gamepad standard. The DS4 can technically support it. Sony isn't stepping up, however, and while I say 'blame Sony', it isn't like I do not understand. Their controller does NOT support Xinput (read: The button prompts will be wrong).

If you don't care, get the third party Xinput wrappers. Don't like installing strange software? Go get a 360 controller; it truly is the PC gamepad standard these days. Wondering why your DS4 doesn't work on your PC game is like wondering why your DS4 doesn't work on your friend's Xbone. TECHNICALLY it can, and on PC it is very easy to get working, for the end user. It opens pandora's box for publishers and technical support, however.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

The_Franz posted:

So put a toggle in the menu to let people pick which button prompts they want like in Far Cry 4.

Nobody is talking about supporting flight sticks or parallel port SNES adapters from 1997, just adding the option to use button icons for a ubiquitous controller layout that is becoming very popular on the PC.

To refresh the context of my post, the reason I was responding at all was because earlier in the thread blame was being leveled on Konami, when it is Sony that just isn't including XInput support, and it isn't as if I think XInput is all that great. Bug Sony for Xinput support. Asking Konami for support is cool. BLAMING them when Sony won't even thoroughly support it is another. Everything else was to insist Konami has their reasons.

Having said that, I've completely forgotten that Konami already technically confirmed that DS4 controllers will work, but without correct button prompts, so at this point it largely renders those suggested 'reasons' moot, since it seems to imply they're going to support DInput either way. It is definitely worth pestering Konami in light of it. Just don't blame them for not going the extra mile for a device where Sony will not.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

klen dool posted:

Um when steam says that something will be released on a particular date, which timezone is it referring to? Because if its the local timezone, I can buy Ground Zeros in 5 hours. I suspect its the 18th in the US, it just doesn't say so....

GMT -8, or something like that. It is US Pacific Time. Usually games unlock at 6pm GMT (10am GMT-8). For midnight releases you're looking at 8am GMT. In the case of Ground Zeroes, I would expect the usual 6pm GMT

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Nakar posted:

Wonder who counts as unique personnel in GZ. Time to kidnap every single guy on every version of the map I guess! :shepicide:

You weren't already planning on doing this?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
To give you an idea, the reviewer is on an i7 920... a 2.66ghz CPU, getting a constant 60 at high (looked roughly comparable to PS4). 40-50 on all settings max. (GPU is a nv 660, so some of the shaders may have been holding things back at that point).

The numbers seem promising. I wouldn't be too worried about getting this thing running on almost anything released in the last 5 years, excepting laptop CPUs, and GPUs slower than the minimum 650, but even then, you can lower resolution and probably get away with it regardless.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Nvidia has done a quality settings/performance analysis to help spot what settings do what, and roughly give an idea what sort those settings will have on performance. Very roughly.

Mostly itll just be helpful for people who take the plunge, but for everyone else, a 2GB card should get you highest texture settings and 1980x1080. Frame rate from there will depend on other settings.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/metal-gear-solid-v-ground-zeroes-graphics-and-performance-guide

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Ok, had a few minutes to play around.

First impressions. No mouse control in menus is a huge annoyance. It is tolerable, because WASD work as arrow keys +space bar work not unlike d-pad. Still more obnoxious than I was expecting, especially since no mouse control in iDroid. Again, it is tolerable, just obnoxious.

Mouse look is solid, if a little sketchy here and there. Binocs are SUPER sensitive, but otherwise it's not bad at all.

Keyboard binds are OK as well, but take some getting used to. Biggest gripe, not binding to Mouse3 or higher. This is a game that could really benefit from those thumb buttons on the mouse, but no such luck. I don't see much need to change the bindings, however. A few things are clumsy, liking trying to figure out how they want you to be grappling some dude and interrogating them etc etc, but its sort of buried in a menu system. Its the sort of thing that works when you figure out the logic behind it, but seems really awkward on keyboard at first, even though nothing really strange is going on in the systems.

Performance is OK. Looks like AMD (CPU or GPU) are having performance issues, but end of the day, I'm still running better than PS4 quality settings at roughly 1080@60 (FX-8120, 7580 2GB). Getting infrequent dips due to VRAM, (extra high textures technically exceed 2GB, + dual monitor make limits even tighter). Dropping to high textures doesn't really have much of any impact on IQ, in case anyone is curious (running triple displays on 2GB GPU), so it can free up some VRAM if you really feel like you need it. Technically I shouldn't have the overhead for SSAO, but it works, and the game doesn't seem to have any tearing vsync off, so the slight dips to 50 aren't distracting enough to merit the loss of 'depth' in the scene. As someone who gets migraines off even little stuff like that, it is saying something.

All in all, it's OK. Not great, but pretty much what I was expecting. Hopefully TPP sees some more attention to the controls, and AMD hardware gets a little bit of attention, but considering where I'm sitting I wouldn't worry about it.

One last note. I don't see any way to link up with the mobile compainion APP. I was hoping to get the iDroid thing working, but the app has not been updated. Next, I can't see any way to add custom music; this is the big bummer. I even have libraries added to Steam but GZ seems completely ignorant to whatever is available for it. I haven't dug very deep on this one, so the option might still be there.

bonds0097 posted:

FYI, this is one of those games where if you have an XInput device plugged in (i.e. an X360 gamepad), it will crash at launch without error. So unplug that poo poo.
No troubles here. Even turned on my 360 pad before launching the game and no problems. Not saying it isn't your problem, but it could be a combination of things (other Dinput/Xinput devices plugged in simultaneously).

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 18, 2014

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

cat doter posted:

I had a weird bug with the PC version of ground zeroes, for some reason there was some kind of memory leak and the game kept freezing/hitching, sometimes for seconds at a time. I also got that "close programs to free up RAM" error so I gather it used the entirety of the 16gb I have. I ended up changing some graphics settings and checked again and it went back down to around 1gb, according to task manager at least, so I dunno what the hell happened. I'll try replicating to see if there's a source, so hopefully it'll be a heads up to people with similar systems.

I've got an i5 3570k and an AMD R9 290 for reference sake.

I had a fault where my internet browser pulled this. I didn't check my system resources at the time, and I am still frequently fiddling with the config options, so when I get around to playing for a good bit once more I'll keep an eye on task manager.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
^^ FXAA (at high or... well, higher) DOF, bloom, etc. Basically full screen shader effects. I really wish they just set all of that as toggles. Extra high is where you get the Screen Space Reflections, and higher quality DOF.

cat doter posted:

Browsers can use a lot of memory, a single tab can be up to and over 300mb, but I have 16gb of RAM and had maybe 6 tabs open and ground zeroes open at the same time, so 4gb at the most. It was definitely some kinda memory leak.

Yeah, I am aware of this, but it is never a problem. In the case of the memory fault, it seemed more a coincidence that I tabbed back to a browser, GZ probably would have croaked not long after, if I didn't just immediately quit on the fault and go get some dinner.

Anyway, I gave it another hour. Memory use went from ~950mb at the title menu up to 1.3gb after a full playthrough of the main mission, and back to the title menu. It's hard to tell, but the game definitely doesn't like to free up resources, if it doesn't have a leak. Usage increase is pretty steady, so I don't think it is simply the game hanging on to the data cache as it dynamically loads things.

Watch out, you guys. If you've been playing for a long time, at least check task manager, if you don't just restart the game to clear up the memory footprint.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Had another memory failure the other night. Nothing was crashing, but windows spit up the same prompt that it needed to close GZ to free up memory it needed. Task manager wasn't showing any more usage than 1.3gb, and still had 15% of available physical memory free, so something sketchy is going on.

I also tinkered with more 'normal' mouse control settings. Up around the default, yeah, I can see what trouble some of you guys having; the aiming almost seems to move on a grid. I have a silly high DPI mouse, so first thing I do is drop mouse sensitivity to 0, but in this case, that seems to be the only solution, because whatever they're doing with the sensitivity actually seems to merely multiply the input so you are literally incapable of aiming at certain increments. For most people I would say mouse aim is all but completely broken.

Would definitely recommend a controller at this point, unless you too are sitting on one of those crazy high DPI 'gaming' mice. I didn't even realize I the DPI turned up so high on this thing to get decent control out of it.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

bman in 2288 posted:

If you CQC combo a guard, he stays out indefinitely, until another guard finds him and wakes him up, or if you wake him up. Choking a guard keeps him out the same time as tranq darts, and CQC throws will not keep them down for long (though you can throw them into a wall to keep them down for longer). Holding a guard up works, but if you go into alert, they WILL get up. So basically, just punch them.

Does this really work? The knockout (sleep) timers don't tick when they are over 100m away, so are you really certain that a punch combo KOs indefinitely?

fake edit: It actually isn't indefinitely, but 30 minutes, when combined with the timer only ticking in near proximity, yeah. They might as well be out for good.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Lester Shy posted:

i3-3225 @ 3.3 GHz
AMD HD 7850 (1GB VRAM)
8GB RAM

Everything in-game is fine though, running at High settings with a consistently high FPS, so I don't know what the problem is.

Vram. Turn your texture quality to medium at least. Even then, it technically needs 1.5gb. You can free up more by turning model detail down, but that will probably be enough. Game really does need at least 2gb, but you can probably get away with it on system bandwidth.

Otherwise, there is definitely some sort of memory issue with the game, so keeping everything closer to the normal VRAM budget may just be a matter of buying time. Also very likely an AMD driver issue. Hopefully we'll either get a compatibility patch from Konami (unlikely) or a driver update from AMD (probably gonna have to wait longer than we'd like). Either way, I get keep the game running for hours before it's a problem, so lowering your texture quality may go a long way to getting you more play time than you 'need'.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Nakar posted:

Can someone please explain to me how the gently caress you designate a chopper landing? All any button does is place/remove markers on the LZ. It was not this loving difficult to do on a console, what the gently caress magical button do I have to press to call in Morpho?

From the left most tab, MENU (not the map), scroll down to the chopper icon.

I'm pretty sure everyone has been making this mistake,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Good grief. I spent all night trying to no kills, no alerts Eliminate the Renegade Threat on S-rank, and just could not do it.

I have a near perfect route through the mission, but one little thing would always ruin it. Sometimes an errant NPC would spot me t literally the last possible moment. The worst part is, the checkpoints. It's such a long sequence of events that a single solid checkpoint would have gone a long way, but the Checkpoint system just does not work on Glaz or Palitz. I ran off of a checkpoint at one point. Got myself back to where Palitz was, and... he's gone?! Turns out that while MOST NPCs will remain KO or asleep between checkpoints (it is incredibly sketchy, though), the targets in the mission will NOT keep their status unless they are killed. To make matters worse, if they ARE killed, THAT status will actually be carried over into what is apparently an earlier checkpoint. I no joke have Glaz shot and killed while he was on my shoulders. Only to restart at checkpoint, long before the alert had taken place, and sure enough Glaz was dead.

I don't know about TPP, hopefully the checkpoint system is handled better there, but at least in GZ a limited save feature like what is found in Hitman could have gone a long long way to ironing some of the rough spots of GZs clear 'rush' job on the mechanics side.

Still having a blast. Only gripes I have are thus: Movement is too weighty. Not too bad when standing, but crouch walk should be super precise, it would make dealing with those floaty rear end corner/cover hotspots way less obnoxious. NPCs setting the whole base on alarm, despite being in the middle of nowhere, even if they don't get a shot off. This game BEGS for a radio system like MGS2/3. It will certainly be easy for gun shots to cascade into ONE guard getting the necessary call in to raise the alarm, so it wouldn't change much, but drat would it help iron over some of the stupid (often on the part of the player). Mentioned were the checkpoints.

Still, easily the most fun I've had with a game this year.

• Locked thread