Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Last gen’s MGS4 was a let-down for me story-wise after MGS3; the game was technically good, but weak on plot. Listening to Kojima’s sexualized bosses make screaming and moaning sounds got old fast. Lusting after a parade of cyberbabes was insulting after witnessing the character development in MGS3. Legacies aside, I do have honest hope for MGS5:GZ being more character driven, as it will take place in a time without as much high-tech wizardry. Loathing the possibility that it will be a throwaway game to boost Konami revenue, I’ll still shell out the meager $30 anyways and cross my fingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Are there any US-accessible limited editions of GZ bundled with extra poo poo like action figures and eye patches that I don't need but I will be excited about for 20 minutes when they show up?

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

shut up, Zero, let me shoot this beehive and eat a couple toads
Perfect MGS3 thread title, 10 years late.

I'm trying to figure out how to sneak some version of this song into the dinner music at my wedding reception.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
I thought the acronym was SOP for standard operating procedure, but I also haven't even turned on MGS2 in years.

Seeing people (goons I think) playing MGS5:GZ in my friends list. Might conduct a sneaking mission to your homes this weekend.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
My Amazon pre-order says delivery estimate Tues March 18, 8pm, but tracking status says Not Yet Shipped as of 9am on the 17th. Is this even possible? Or does Amazon intentionally suppress logistics information for pre-orders for hot releases?

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Never mind, my credit card just got charged and the order is marching through various shipping statuses. There must be a well stocked warehouse within a few hours drive of me.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
I'm an old grandpa waiting for his physical disk to arrive tomorrow. In the mean time, I got my mother base up to level 26 in the mobile app and built a Metal Gear. They don't name soldiers in GZ unlike PW. I'm kinda glad they don't name soldiers in GZ, so I can cold-heartedly chew through nameless piles of bodies in the name of ~endless warfare~

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

ChaosArgate posted:

Can you still do that thing from Peace Walker where you throw a magazine over a guard, catch his attention away from you, then run up to him and CQC/interrogate him? I'd imagine not, since the guards have better AI now, but I am going to have so much fun messing with guards tonight if you can.

I pulled this off a few times, but not consistently. As already mentioned, guards might hear your footsteps or catch you out of the corner of your eye if the conditions are right.

I've played MGS1-4 and PW and have very often thought that a bunch of stuff made the games too easy: comically spinning rations and weapon items, clearly defined and visible enemy sight cones, hand-holding introductory chapters, evenly distributed lighting, etc. I feel like Kojima took this list and removed it from GZ. It's harder in my opinion, but increases the tension and entertainment. $30 well spent.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Is anyone else screwing around with the mobile app? When stuck in traffic or sitting on the shitter I like to send out Snake and Amanda on missions. Kaz seems to get injured on the most routine of outings and Huey is a worthless bullet magnet. I don't even spend money to heal him anymore; I just let him rot in the medical bay so he can think about how awful he is as an officer.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Successfully extracted The Eye and The Finger and while Morpho was lifting out of the east LZ I took a few tranq pot shots at the Admin building to gently caress with the remaining guards and accidentally headshotted one at 246.387 meters. :clint:

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Finally S-Ranked GZ Main on my 3rd try. Watching the final cut scene again, specifically the emergency surgery. I swear that before the doc pulls out the item with the peace sign, he pulls his hand out as if he is holding something, and then moves his hand behind him to set the invisible item down. Am I imagining this? Did other people notice this?

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

S rank in my book.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Speedball posted:

I like how the map marks your own personal MSF weapons on the map if you leave them behind, though.
I hope this is a plot device for PP. Maybe being forced to switch weapons and locations during the mission and then having to remember to cover your tracks before leaving or failing the mission.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Cybershell posted:

Well you don't start with grenades... But you can spawn near a machine gun with grenade launcher attachment actually, I'll have to give that a try. Also one of the trials for that mission is beating it with no weapons, and I'm pretty sure c4 counts as a weapon. I also noticed the leaderboard displays the top 28 times instead of top 30, presumably because only 28 people have completed the trial. Anyone have any ideas?

Can you crash trucks/jeeps into them? That covers a few, but not the one at the spawn point..

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

NeoSeeker posted:

Seriously what the hell is up with giving us boundaries? Why not give us the entire island every mission and make the sea the boundary?
If you would like to explore the wilderness of Cuba, Assassin's Creed IV has several playable cities and remote locations on the 770 mile long island of Cuba.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Guys tbqh we never saw Paz die, we were simply looking at her and she disappeared during an explosion. I think we can assume she safely made it to the water again and will be the main playable character of TPP and she will have to shoot a bomb out of quiets vagina during a jpop song

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

ShineDog posted:

Cmon, this is the series of parallels. If they get around to remaking MG1/2 Big Boss will actively be expecting their protege to beat them, like the Boss did.

I've been thinking this for a while. Whether he wants to actually die or fake his death and go into hiding, he might be sick of active military operations after a couple decades.

They can even have a MG1 prologue where BB, portrayed by Mel Gibson, complains about being as old as a dinosaur with Danny Glover, before their new LAPD captain gives them a new assignment where hilarity ensues.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Dominic White posted:

Were the Patriot AIs active at the time of MGS1/2? Because it's easy to add a note that they were censoring all digital communication about the event.

Haha holy poo poo Kojima built in an infinite retcon clause. Must be the same universe as Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Captain Novolin posted:

Considering Big Boss can easily staff his base with men held up by a loving banana, it's no surprise that the guards in later games are complete idiots.

Grinding countless talentless soldiers to their deaths through the Mother Base app, I can see how places like Shadow Moses were eventually filled with guys whose famous last words were, "Oh, it's just a box."

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Several times I've defintely marked and headshotted The Eye in the tower just to watch him and his peeps evac down into the admin complex. Very frustrating.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
I'd bang either of them after a few whiskeys.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Mind_Taker posted:

It's really easy if you get an A rank first and unlock the rocket launcher.
I was grinding up to A rank last night to do exactly this and accidentally S ranked it :smug:
Tonight is Deja Vu, which I hope is much less of a nightmare than the AA guns.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Had no idea the Deja Vu Cyborg Ninja skin came with ultra electric running until I unlocked it last night. I giggled like a girl for 15 minutes as I speed sprinted around CQCing all the guards. I know MGS5 is ~mega serious~ but Hideo still has the silly fun hidden away in there.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Veg posted:

Just got my first s rank on the Ground Zeroes mission with only one alert, no kills or retries in 24 minutes.

I dont even care if its just on normal I am not very good at these games so I am loving stoooooooked. :D

On my escape I'd snuck past the tanks and was halfway down the road when some oval office saw me. Ah well I was out of bullets anyway.

Did roughly the same thing to S rank Ground Zeroes on hard. Extracted all POWs, including the POW near the deploy point, and Chico. Snuck into the Admin building, fetched Paz, chucked her in a jeep and called Morpho to the deploy LZ. Drive right out the front door and got spotted, triggered an alert, but kept driving full throttle under the bridge as all the guards ignored me and kept running to the admin building. No kills, all extracted, 1 alert, 60000+ points. :smug:

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Couldn't Eli easily be Solidus commanding the Small Boy Unit?

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Oh my god calorie mate is real

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Some of the armory sheds have recoilless rifles in them. Pick the lock to get inside and have a blast.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Aries posted:

I enjoyed the companion app, but I wish the mechanics were more transparent; it's impossible to know why your squad selection succeeded or failed outside of very basic stats like attack/defense/health.

Also, really hope they weave this into TPP in an interesting way.

You can see the battle log, but it still leaves something to be desired.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
The GZ DLC is just the crossover of Deja/Jamais Vu to the other console, right? No never-before-seen content, right?

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Spalec posted:

My favourite bit of pre-release MGS2 fakery is that they went to the effort of swapping out Raidens model for Snakes in a couple of trailers where you saw the big shell. There was a trailer showing some of the Fortune fight but it was Snake there instead.

It's stuff like that that makes me hope the MGS movie will never happen, I don't think all the crazy stuff and the 4th wall breaking bits would work in a film and we'll just end up with a generic Die Hard knock-off with the MGS license slapped on it, maybe a cardboard box joke or 2.

Yeah, I kinda cringe at the idea of a MGS movie. I remember being pumped about Ninja Turtles movies and Mario Brothers movies and being so deflated at how much magic was lost in the transfer to the big screen. Square peg in a round hole and all that.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Arrowsmith posted:

Also, for max distance tranq head shots, I'm guessing that the effective range is low enough that drop off gets severe. Is it possible (if perhaps more than unreasonable) to headshot targets beyond the draw distance in first-person aiming? Do we know how the Fox Engine handles that?

Taking pot shots at the admin building during helicopter evac, I accidentally tranqed someone at 246.387M. World record is currently 301.222M. My own record doesn't even make sense to me.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
I played Jamais Vu 4 times and each time did the final sequence all from the tower in front of the armory, firing recoiless rifles at packs of dudes streaming out of the gate and unsupressed rifles at stragglers and never triggered an alert. The only time I triggered reflex was when I ran down to grab more recoilless rifle ammo.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Edit: all of that ^^^ is hella boss. Hella Big Boss even.

Does anyone know how to send guards flying significantly more than 20 meters? I've been loving around with C4, claymores, rockets and jeeps but everything is roughly 20 meters.

CharlieWhiskey fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 10, 2014

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
I hope that BB can ride donkeys too and when he does the lean-over-hide thing, then the donkey just falls on him and critically kicks him in the balls and fucks off into the distance while you have to press triangle to spray first aid on BB's nuts.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Kaz, I'm already a demo

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Comic posted:

Speaking of the mother base app, is there any real strategy to it? I feel like I was pounding my head against the wall, I finally had a bunch of strong level 5 armored troopers or whatever, and was able to complete a higher mission but it also killed almost all of them and I had to start from scratch. It even had >95% chance of victory (I did win but...). I haven't been able to build up infantry again to a level they can accomplish the mission because they keep dying before they even reach level 3. I have like three 'metal gears' but I never use them because I can't even do the missions with them again.

I found success when I grinded up my heavy troops repeatedly on missions 8, 11, 12, 16, 17.

Steve2911 posted:

I never 'got' the Mother Base app. No matter what I did, I only had squad leaders like Big Boss and Kaz and never any soldiers, so I couldn't do any missions. Couldn't work out what the gently caress I was meant to be doing so I deleted it.

If you've beat all the GZ missions repeatedly in different ways you'll probably unlock a bunch more officers. If you've done trials like exterminating rats and crows, you'll unlock even more.

Comic posted:

I had no idea, I'd just been producing the highest level (lowest on the list) stuff I could make and throwing htem at things.
Heavy infantry are the best and most expensive. Ocelot soldiers are cheap and decent mid-level filler fodder, but get chewed up in higher levels.

Edit: mother base stats sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhQob9IBYgqPdHFwODcteHh0UnAxQV9XS3hqUkdUcVE&usp=sharing

CharlieWhiskey fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 27, 2014

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Those dumpsters were ID locked.

Garbage has changed.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

SnakesRevenge posted:

What the hell happened to this thread all of a sudden?

Fake edit: nanomachines!?

This thread has changed. 

It's not about consoles, or platforms. 
It's not even about trophies, install times, or voice actors. 

It's an endless series of proxy battles, 
fought by posters and leaked demo clips. 

This thread, and its vast consumption of pages, has become a rational, well-oiled business transaction. 

This thread has changed. 

ID-tagged goons post ID-tagged posts, embed ID-tagged YouTube clips. 

Moderators inside their threads modify and regulate their actions. 

Post control.. Information control.. 
Spoiler control.. Console control. 

Everything is monitored, and kept under control. 

This thread has changed. 

The age of spoilers is now the age of control, averting catastrophe from Chico-Quiet theories. 

And he who controls the thread, controls history. 

This thread has changed. 

When the posts are under total control, this thread becomes routine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
My latest favorite MGS5:GZ pastime is playing GZ or Destroy Anti-air and lethally sniping from the Destroy Anti-air spawn point. If you vary your weapons and watch your sight lines, you can snipe dozens of dudes before getting spotted. There are a half dozen gas drums to blow up and attract more guards. Sunday afternoon sadistic fun.

• Locked thread