Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Intel&Sebastian posted:

When the people who clutch pearls know that much they don't explain, they scaremonger. If there wasn't more actual Obama-outrage to be chewed on right now I have absolutely no doubt at least one FOX show would be all over "Major videogame franchise features players breaking into Guantanamo, releasing prisoners and killing US marines". I'm still waiting for O'Reilly to drop it any day now.

Bonus edit: And the killer wears a FOX news patch while doing it.
Man, when you phrase it like that, I was completely off the mark. For some reason, the idea that the player is breaking into Guantanamo and extracting prisoners didn't even pop into my head in that negative context. I was entirely focused on how they would be able to twist around the morality of the base personnel to something sympathetic, but they could easily just go full-bore on keeping a straight face about cheering on the guys who are literally putting bolts through a boy's Achilles tendon.

I'm, uh... going to go watch a few videos of puppies being cute to offset that realization now. :stare:

Generic American fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm still waiting for O'Reilly to drop it any day now.

I would pay a lot to see Bill try to parse the MGS1-5+PW plot summaries.

"What does that mean, 'La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo' ?? Fuckin' thing sucks !!"

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I hope they hired Sean Connery as Big Boss's voice actor when he starts getting older. I don't care how little sense it makes.

(I want to see a redub of MGS1 with Connery as Snake and Morgan Freeman as Roy Campbell.)

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 25, 2014

Tyack
Oct 9, 2012

Gooch181 posted:

I hope they hired Sean Connery as Big Boss's voice actor when he starts getting older. I don't care how little sense it makes.

(I want to see a redub of MGS1 with Connery as Snake and Morgan Freeman as Roy Campbell.)

He's already played a Scottish Russian submarine commander. I wouldn't be surprised if they found a way for him to play an American spy. It would probably be better than Kiefer Sutherland.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Gooch181 posted:

Would be a nice to have, but they already retconned his face out of Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake port on MGS3. :v:

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Ha, I forgot about that.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

nippon nifties posted:

I would pay a lot to see Bill try to parse the MGS1-5+PW plot summaries.

"What does that mean, 'La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo' ?? Fuckin' thing sucks !!"

The "patriots" have a gazillion dollars and are in charge of a world of neverending war for profit? Sounds good to me :smugdog:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Generic American posted:

Man, when you phrase it like that, I was completely off the mark. For some reason, the idea that the player is breaking into Guantanamo and extracting prisoners didn't even pop into my head in that negative context. I was entirely focused on how they would be able to twist around the morality of the base personnel to something sympathetic, but they could easily just go full-bore on keeping a straight face about cheering on the guys who are literally putting bolts through a boy's Achilles tendon.

I'm, uh... going to go watch a few videos of puppies being cute to offset that realization now. :stare:

That's kind of the beauty of Kojima's critique I think, especially in relation to how MGS has played before where wandering gaurds are usually some varying degree of innocent to encourage you not to feel like killing them all the time. In GZ there's a short explanation that Skullface and crew are the ones actually doing the truly terrible stuff in Camp Omega, but at the same time the US Marines on base are reduced from the heroic RAH RAH US MARINES image down to MGS wandering guard status BECAUSE they are there to guard and run this US facility where this stuff is happening.

A lot of people in the USA right now would tell you they have no problem with Guantanamo, Kojima made a game almost exclusively out of exposing what's wrong about the site and how it's used and he sells it to the point where it takes some thought to realize "oh poo poo I'm playing a game where I sneak into Guantanamo Bay and free prisoners from U.S. custody". If you're not really reading into it all you really feel is that you're saving a friend from a secret illegal prison where they're being tortured by assholes.

tl;dr version - Kojima pretty much says "Well what if someone you give a poo poo about was given the usual guantanamo treatment?"

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Intel&Sebastian posted:

That's kind of the beauty of Kojima's critique I think, especially in relation to how MGS has played before where wandering gaurds are usually some varying degree of innocent to encourage you not to feel like killing them all the time. In GZ there's a short explanation that Skullface and crew are the ones actually doing the truly terrible stuff in Camp Omega, but at the same time the US Marines on base are reduced from the heroic RAH RAH US MARINES image down to MGS wandering guard status BECAUSE they are there to guard and run this US facility where this stuff is happening.

A lot of people in the USA right now would tell you they have no problem with Guantanamo, Kojima made a game almost exclusively out of exposing what's wrong about the site and how it's used and he sells it to the point where it takes some thought to realize "oh poo poo I'm playing a game where I sneak into Guantanamo Bay and free prisoners from U.S. custody". If you're not really reading into it all you really feel is that you're saving a friend from a secret illegal prison where they're being tortured by assholes.

tl;dr version - Kojima pretty much says "Well what if someone you give a poo poo about was given the usual guantanamo treatment?"

The usual Guantamano Treatment has yet to include cutting open prisoners, sticking bombs inside them, and releasing them to their comrades after prolonged rape sessions.

I'm not finding anything regarding shoving bolts through the Achilles tendon (though that's probably a lot more likely in reality than the Paz stuff we saw at the end of GZ).

Don't get me wrong, Guantanamo Bay is a horrible thing, it should be looked at and critiqued. And maybe, Kojima thinks this is a good way to do it. Ground Zeroes still reeks of lovely writing done purely for shock value. The way it's set up now, the "common soldier" is innocent, it's really these (badly written) Marvel supervillains who are responsible for the evil stuff. What makes Camp X-Ray so horrifying is that the people committing the violent acts AREN'T supervillains with absurd facial deformities or convoluted pasts. They're regular people who have bought into the "necessity" of doing things based on their own logic. Kojima once again has something to say about a subject of interest, but he completely misses the mark while using it for the background of a game where we ultimately are going to kidnap dudes and tie balloons to their asses for fun.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

Aurain posted:

What does the thread reckon about that scene from the Red Band trailer for The Phantom Pain which uses a scene based in the prison Chico is in at Camp Omega, but isn't present in Ground Zeroes.

Are we looking at re-used assets or are we going to be able to go back to Camp Omega in TPP for side-quests or something? Pretty intriguing stuff to me.

I was just wondering about that.
Kojima was asked during the live Twitch interview if Camp Omega would be accessible in the Phantom Pain, and he shrewdly said that they have very tentative plans to have extra missions there in TPP. Whether it's DLC or you'll actually go there as Punished Snake, who knows.

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt

fivegears4reverse posted:

...What makes Camp X-Ray so horrifying is that the people committing the violent acts AREN'T supervillains with absurd facial deformities or convoluted pasts. They're regular people ...

I think Kojima at least tries to touch on this during the post mission briefing after you extract both the targets on the assassination side-op.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The usual Guantamano Treatment has yet to include cutting open prisoners, sticking bombs inside them, and releasing them to their comrades after prolonged rape sessions.

Well of course not, that's what our european black sites are for.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

Well of course not, that's what our european black sites are for.

I'm pretty sure they'd have depicted a human pyramid if they thought they could get away with it.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I'm not finding anything regarding shoving bolts through the Achilles tendon (though that's probably a lot more likely in reality than the Paz stuff we saw at the end of GZ).
When rescuing Chico, the camera specifically pans down to show his feet when Kaz asks "can he walk?", showing the player that there are metal... plugs(?) through his ankles, to which Snake replies "not a chance". I'm pretty sure all of the POW's have them on their models as well.

ShineDog posted:

He means he can't find an example of that happening in reality.
... Ah. :negative:

Generic American fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 26, 2014

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ShineDog posted:

Though it's one of those things that, while unbelievable cruel, I wouldn't be surprised if it WAS done, by the US or anyone else. If you absolutely don't want someone to literally walk away... ugh.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

RageBeef posted:

Hate to break it to you but that's still Skullface, Tape 6 has the full conversation that is played during the credits and afterwards.

Haven't picked up tape 6 yet, but I definitely hear Troy Baker. Unless Troy Baker is doing two different characters, that's Ocelot in disguise. Is it just me, or does someone else hear it?

Gooch181 posted:

Edit: I was psyching myself up for Snake's new voice actor, and I'm sure it will grow on me. Honestly though, he just sounds like Sam Fisher.

Standing by my initial critique that the new Big Boss sounds like he un-smoked 70 motherfucking cigars :colbert:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Mistle posted:

Haven't picked up tape 6 yet, but I definitely hear Troy Baker. Unless Troy Baker is doing two different characters, that's Ocelot in disguise. Is it just me, or does someone else hear it?

Firstly, it's not Troy Baker. Secondly, if it is, Troy Baker has been playing a very long con.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Horan_(actor)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I just wanna know if the weapon development thing is going to be a thing in Phantom Pain. Anything to make those suppressors last more than a few bursts on the assault rifles.

I like how the map marks your own personal MSF weapons on the map if you leave them behind, though.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Speedball posted:

I like how the map marks your own personal MSF weapons on the map if you leave them behind, though.
I hope this is a plot device for PP. Maybe being forced to switch weapons and locations during the mission and then having to remember to cover your tracks before leaving or failing the mission.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I hope this is a plot device for PP. Maybe being forced to switch weapons and locations during the mission and then having to remember to cover your tracks before leaving or failing the mission.

"Make sure you leave no evidence behind," huh? Probably going to be reaaaally important if Big Boss is pulling highly illegal stuff in PP, but I don't know if this'll translate over to gameplay.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
"World's greatest soldier's greatest secrets! BIG BOSS Exposed!"

All the guards start talking about BB's antics while reading the latest gossip magazine in the lounge.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Lunethex posted:

"World's greatest soldier's greatest secrets! BIG BOSS Exposed!"

All the guards start talking about BB's antics while reading the latest gossip magazine in the lounge.

This would set up an amazing Batman esq moment.

"Says here in this article he took out 12 guys with nothing but his bare hands. Got shot in the eye, electrocuted, fell from a 200 foot drop and was unscathed."

"That's impossible, nobody is that badass."

Then you show up and chain CQC their parade while smoking a cigar.

If moments like this are in Phantom Pain and there isn't a "One-liner" button, I will be very sad indeed.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

MrJacobs posted:

This would set up an amazing Batman esq moment.

"Says here in this article he took out 12 guys with nothing but his bare hands. Got shot in the eye, electrocuted, fell from a 200 foot drop and was unscathed."

"That's impossible, nobody is that badass."

Then you show up and chain CQC their parade while smoking a cigar.

If moments like this are in Phantom Pain and there isn't a "One-liner" button, I will be very sad indeed.

No "one liner" button, just a grunt button.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Mistle posted:

Standing by my initial critique that the new Big Boss sounds like he un-smoked 70 motherfucking cigars :colbert:

Well, He is supposed to be in a coma for 9 years after GZ. He has a lot of cigars to catch up to. Unless, though, I'm pretty sure that in his absence the lack of funding has sunk the Cigar industry.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Regardless of anything else, I think it's pretty goddamn impressive that Kojima and co. went full bore with an anti-guantanamo message. We've only just started to see COD style games confront the current US sentiment with war, torture and how the geneva convention is now optional. Kojima just literally went there and filled a few tapes with Kaz dropping knowledge on black sites, renditions, the legal status of Guantanamo prisoners, etc.

I'm actually kind of surprised no one at FOX or something has jumped on them about either that or a mission where the objective is to kill 2 US Marines.
Fox News is too busy playing Dark Souls

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

The "Destroy the Wooden Watchtowers" trial in "Destroy the Anti-Air Emplacements" (Hard mode) is a lot of fun. I've gotten my time down to 0:45.562, which is currently ranked 4th on the PS4 leaderboard. Here's my run, although the top guy can apparently do this three seconds faster. It's important to note you have to finish the mission for the time to count, so you can't die right after you blow them all up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2as5dTmp0I

Cybershell fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 26, 2014

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Cybershell posted:

The "Destroy the Wooden Watchtowers" trial in "Destroy the Anti-Air Emplacements" (Hard mode) is a lot of fun. I've gotten my time down to 0:45.562, which is currently ranked 4th on the PS4 leaderboard. Here's my run, although the top guy can apparently do this three seconds faster. It's important to note you have to finish the mission for the time to count, so you can't die right after you blow them all up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2as5dTmp0I

Maybe grenades can kill one of them while you're reloading?

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

Well you don't start with grenades... But you can spawn near a machine gun with grenade launcher attachment actually, I'll have to give that a try. Also one of the trials for that mission is beating it with no weapons, and I'm pretty sure c4 counts as a weapon. I also noticed the leaderboard displays the top 28 times instead of top 30, presumably because only 28 people have completed the trial. Anyone have any ideas?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

Not that they'd care, but those marines had gone full Heart of Darkness. The GZ marines on the other hand are still on payroll.
Everything about the site in GZ seems pretty objectively evil to me. The base itself is a black site avoiding US and Cuban law so POWs can be tortured without restrictions. And of course, Skull Face is a scumbag, but it's hard to justify the marines actions as "just doing their job" when some of them have been raping Paz, and probably plenty of other prisoners they've gotten a hole of.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Butt Ghost posted:

Everything about the site in GZ seems pretty objectively evil to me. The base itself is a black site avoiding US and Cuban law so POWs can be tortured without restrictions. And of course, Skull Face is a scumbag, but it's hard to justify the marines actions as "just doing their job" when some of them have been raping Paz, and probably plenty of other prisoners they've gotten a hole of.

That is the second most unfortunate typo in this thread.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Butt Ghost posted:

The marines are essentially evil (they can see the bolts and horror poo poo) plus they're still employed by the US government. You subsequently kill them. That's why Fox would be mad. It's like a triple whammy vs Spec Ops being a renegade platoon that has gone nuts. Omega is manned by guys who still stand tall as True American Heroes.

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

Unreal_One posted:

Maybe grenades can kill one of them while you're reloading?

Thanks again for the advice bud, was just able to snag a world record on this trial (according to the PS4 leaderboards at least)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PhYWfg54uY

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Cybershell posted:

Well you don't start with grenades... But you can spawn near a machine gun with grenade launcher attachment actually, I'll have to give that a try. Also one of the trials for that mission is beating it with no weapons, and I'm pretty sure c4 counts as a weapon. I also noticed the leaderboard displays the top 28 times instead of top 30, presumably because only 28 people have completed the trial. Anyone have any ideas?

I noticed that myself, and the only thing I can think of is triggering an alert and then tricking enemies with rocket launchers into shooting them. Maybe calling helicopters could work, but I'm pretty sure it would just get mowed down since that's the point of the AA guns. At the very least when if it crashed into one of the guns after being shot down it would probably take it out.

TechnoSyndrome fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Mar 26, 2014

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

Cybershell posted:

Thanks again for the advice bud, was just able to snag a world record on this trial (according to the PS4 leaderboards at least)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PhYWfg54uY

Haha that makes a huge difference.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
I just finished Ground Zeroes, I am blown away by how smooth the gameplay is (I havent tried it with Reflex on yet), but the thing that impressed me most is how drat useful the magazine is now.

I am so loving pumped for The Phantom Pain now jesus.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

"What took you so long?"

Going from the final GZ cutscene to that… Just feels really weird.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I liked the reflex feature, really streamlined the gameplay, aspecially for the first run of PP aswell if i have more than one. Cuts down on reloads since previously i would have just restarted if i got spotted. Second run tho will probably be going after whatever unlocks there are, and there's usually one for being supersneaky.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
Am I missing something, or did they completely remove the knock on cover/whisper at soldiers option to get them to walk to your position. I've had a lot of moments where it would've been really useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Sprat Sandwich posted:

"What took you so long?"

Going from the final GZ cutscene to that… Just feels really weird.

That was the best thing. THE BEST THING.

• Locked thread