Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Martman posted:

To reiterate though, I didn't see anyone mention it... you no longer have to do AK in order to get promoted and pick up a level 50 Grand Company weapon. Aurum Vale has replaced it for that quest.

Arguably not even for the better, even. Amdapor is a much easier instance as far as boss mechanics go, to say nothing about outgearing. The final boss of AV is way harder than anything in AK for group comps with no BLM or competent WHM

Niton fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Oct 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Magus42 posted:

That statement is directly contradicted by the first of my two images above.

The ground indicator is still present even post-castbar.

So again, insufficient data.

e: btw, I should clarify, I meant no lag issue in those two images, making them awful examples; it's entirely possible there are lag issues, though I still have my doubts on them being on SE's side, since I rarely have any issues dodging things.

Out of curiosity, what class do you main? I play SCH, and I have Bard friends who have never had this kind of issue.. but both of my healer friends have the same problem.

Bashez posted the "correct" answer to the problem she (and I, and many other people) have, which is to force a position update by casting a spell once you're out of the AoE, but even that doesn't work 100%. Even at low latency, the best you can really do is force-update and hope everything works if you were casting at the start of a fickle AoE.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Blast of Confetti posted:

I'm getting close to 20 on my Gladiator and once I hit it I was going to level up some other classes to get a feel for them and get some low level cross class abilities. Is there anything that'd stand out for Gladiator that I should look in to getting?

e:v Alright, thanks. Wouldn't mind another defensive cooldown. Just tanked my first instance and it was kind of rough.

You're going to need CNJ15 for Paladin, and CNJ has useful cross-class skills at levels 2 (Cure, for solo play), 8 (Protect), 12 (Raise), and 34 (Stoneskin.)

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Tarranon posted:

So now I've gotten my GSM and WVR to 50. Where do I go from here? Everything else is sitting pretty at fifteen. My gut instinct is to at least get CUL to 37 for the buffed steady hand, but I have no idea how people level that thing up. For GSM and WVR I just bought mats, crafted them into intermediaries, and flipped HQs on the market for my money back (along wit some leves, of course). I don't *think* there's anything like that in CUL, is there? How have you plucky crafters made your way in the daunting field of cookery?

For Culinarian, I did Oysters 15-20, then Grape Juice 20-25, then Chamomile Tea (which I haven't finished, but i've heard 25-30 for crafting, then turn in HQS). After that I think it's Acorn Cookies?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

folgore posted:

What's Scholar healing like anyway? I'm a 34 White Mage now and it seems pretty straightforward. Is SCH a little more involved?

Scholar leans on Eos/Selene for their throughput, so it's a big drag if you're fighting something like the first boss in Aurum Vale which can kill your pet straight up. Swiftcast is 100% essential, even moreso than on WHM (for the same reason), and you get the strongest pre-emptive healing in Adloquium. You also contribute more damage than WHMs on packs of 1 through 4 mobs, after which WHM's Holy continue's scaling while Bane is capped.

The biggest weaknesses are relatively weak throughput cooldowns and lack of mana-efficient AoE healing.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Volt Catfish posted:

Help how do I stop being a bad Scholar? I recognize the fact that I never want my pet to be left to her own devices or she'll spam unnecessary heals and get too much aggro. However, it seems that there's no actual command for her to "do absolutely nothing unless I say so". Obey is fine, but as soon as I manually use a heal from her bar then she comes off of it and starts attacking and doing her own thing again, and that's really annoying.

What can I do?

Use the 'place' command to move Eos/Selene to a spot near your tank, but outside of AoE range. Since the Fairy's AI is.. special, and prioritizes moving over healing, your Fairy will spend a lot of time not healing if you don't issue that command.

Also, be aware that Selene will refuse to use Fey Light properly - you'll have to use it yourself once Fey Glow fades from you / your party.

Niton fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 22, 2013

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Cloudy McPouty posted:

Galka in FFXI were by far the least represented of all the races though.

This information is from 2008 so not super current, but it shows Galka at almost 1/2 the representation of the next lowest race, Mithra.

This information is from 2008 so not super current, but it shows Galka tied for last with Elvaan females.

You can thank at least part of this on the fact that Galka made really, really bad casters in the early days of FFXI. Taru may have had low health, but they also had about twice as much MP as Galka at level 75 (450-500 vs 850-900 base). When the high-end spells cost hundreds of MP, it put Galka at a real disadvantage.

It's something that you could compensate for with the right gear (and, of course, player skill), but even at NA/Zilart release you were putting yourself at a pretty big disadvantage by being Galka, and the population numbers have always reflected that.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Requested_Username posted:

CUL is far and away the best crafting profession and I'll hear nobody saying otherwise.

Also, is there a class questline that's more obnoxious than the ACN one? Because it's pretty hard to go any lower on my 'do I give a gently caress' scale from Asperger Catgirl's PTSD Problems as a narrative.

ACN got watered down because they went over their coolness budget with the SMN and SCH ones! Summoner 35/50 and Scholar 50 are some of my favorite quests in the entire game.

e: ACN30 isn't bad though.

Niton fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 26, 2013

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Bard in its current state is just too much of a "best of both worlds" class. It combines the lack of cast bar of melee characters with the freedom of mobility of ranged characters, while contributing above-average damage and AoE. Aside from having a healer limit break (which is more of an upside than a downside in 8-mans), there's very little that bard isn't at least above average at.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Eltoasto posted:

Does the $29 PC download purchase include the first month free? I mean it always has with other games, but I can't see it ever specifically mentioned on the purchase links I have looked at.

It does.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Failboattootoot posted:

Titan is the most fun thing I have done in this game or any other mmo. Yeah you wipe a lot, but when you nail it, it's the greatest. Less exciting now I would wager since quite a few people have gotten it done, but a month ago when Titan was still super fresh, it was fantastic.

I guess if you are a coward who hates dying a lot then it sucks. :colbert:

Speaking as a healer, gently caress doing Titan unless I have to. Titan's a great fight, the kill was exciting as hell, but even knowing the forced position update trick, dealing with Weight of the Land when you have to also be casting is a nightmare, and not for Actual Difficulty reasons. Most of the difficulty as a healer comes from having to make educated guesses on when to start running, because the only cast bar option you have is terrible and slightly unreliable.

Niton fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 28, 2013

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Kuai posted:

every skill is in a rotation and it makes the fight very predictable.

Until I learned about forced position updating I would get clipped (non-fatally) by Weight of the Earths every couple of attempts while learning because I was casting something as they spawned. Even though I would be further away from them than the Bard that ran in the same direction as me. Afterwards? Weight was trivial. I'm glad that there's a workaround, but it feels really janky that you need one to begin with. Playing WHM up through instances, it's night and day what you can get away with as a caster if you know how to make the game understand that you're not standing in something.

See also: Demon Wall's knockback being delayed by 5+ seconds sometimes, even during off-peak hours.

Niton fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 28, 2013

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Nill posted:

I thought that had something to do with Stoneskin?

If Succor's shield has the same effect, maybe? I had it happen on friday in a WAR/BLM/SMN/SCH group, and I don't have Stoneskin.

Looking it up, it looks like there's 2 forms of it: no knockback (Adlo/SS) and delayed knockback (???). That second one is the weird one, and the thread I read was less sure about what causes that version.

folgore posted:

Probably luck of the draw. I've just unlocked Stone Vigil and have been doing every dungeon multiple times as they've become available to me. I heal and my friend tanks, and we see lovely DPS more often than not. Sunken Temple was probably the worst experience so far, and a lot of people that queue for it don't even have their job yet.

This makes a bizarre amount of sense to me, but at the same time I can't imagine someone who would go out of their way to do non-Storyline things, but wouldn't go out of their way to get their Soul Crystal :psyduck:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

So is there a major difference in end game healing between scholars and white mages? (Besides the perk that scholars can always blame pet AI if something goes wrong)

I can't really speak for White Mage, but Scholar's base heals (Embrace + Physick) split way better than WHM's, which makes it really good at "lazy healing" periodic damage - because your Fairy is smart enough to realize who's been hit by AoE recently, you can heal up the raid without ever stopping tank healing (or DPS!). It's also really good at DPSing full runs of overgeared content, with your fairy solo-healing on an infinite mana pool. You also have a flexible mana regeneration mechanic in Aetherflow, though most of the time you'll be using Sacred Soil or the heal.

The practical downsides are that your burst AoE healing is way worse than a WHM's, you're super-reliant on your Fairy (and Swiftcast in general) to remain on par with a WHM's single healing, and your AoE damage output falls off a cliff after 4 mobs because Bane is capped. The last one is a big deal for Wanderer's Palace speed runs, because Holy makes managing some of the largest pulls significantly easier, but it's still not the end of the world because of Scholar's much higher boss DPS.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Zizi posted:

For those that don't have a ton of SCH experience, remember that Shadow Flare is an ACN skill and SCH therefore has access to it-- it will help with this, and you should get used to using it in-between Sacred Soils anyway for the sustained slow effect.

Yeah, it's just such a steep dropoff. I guess I can't really complain about how few targets a full Bane cycle hits, though, especially for the kind of damage it winds up doing.

And yes, Shadow Flare is amazing and probably my single largest source of DPS on a lot of things just because how easy it is to cast during downtime.

Niton fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 30, 2013

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Bashez posted:

Scholars don't actually get any nukes right? I've never really played an arcanist but what exactly do they do while DPSing? Ruin seems to be absolutely god awful for anything.

Scholar has Bio, Bio 2, Miasma, and Shadow Flare baseline, and can spec for Aero and Thunder on top of Cleric Stance. You use Ruin as filler when all 6 of your spells are rolling!

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Lance Streetman posted:

He's right about them not having any nukes, though. The thing which allows Summoner to DPS well after getting their soul crystal, Fester, is job-specific. Scholars just dots.

Actually, all of the difference between SMN and SCH's dps is the pet :eng101:!

Fester is 150 more potency than Energy Drain, but Aero is 120 potency more than Ruin. Since you use both 3 times a minute, Scholar is only missing out on 90 potency a minute. But then you add in Cleric Stance's +10% damage across the board, and Scholar actually winds up doing more damage than a petless Summoner over longer fights!

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

SpazmasterX posted:

I kinda hope that a dungeon comes out at some point that negates your job crystal, so everyone has to go as their basic class.

The queues for that would take forever, since there would only be 1 healer class :v:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Failboattootoot posted:

Any class have an int debuff besides mnk?

Supervirus (the SMN/SCH Virus enhancement) is -15% Int and Mind for 10 seconds on top of Virus' normal effects.

Those twitter icons are absolutely adorable.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Hokuto posted:

Alternately, it's a shot of Mor Dhona right after last night's maintenance.

This is my guess - it was that empty on Sarg last night after maint, and once people log in you have to be standing on top of someone to see them within the player limit.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Nephzinho posted:

The jewelry will likely not be replaced until 2.2 unless there is some ridiculously well itemized i80 poo poo in CT, so you will get months out of it.

Even then, that's probably only the tank jewelry and maybe the neck for healers - the real draw of the jewelry is that you can stick Vitality materia into them and actually get survivability from your gear. That's something that non-tank itemization doesn't have right now.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

So which jobs would you guys like to see added/which roles would they fill?

I personally would like to see Sages as a DPS/Support option for conjurers. Give them more focus on the water/air/earth spells and an AoE cleanse and you've got a class. Maybe add some more cross-class abilities from THM like scathe.

FFTA/FFTA2's Templar, out of Lancer, to help solve the relative lack of tanks and to give us badass spear-tanks.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

notZaar posted:

They do, and Curtana is objectively the best looking relic weapon anyways.

Omnilex+1 has the best glow, though :colbert:

I just wish that the inside wasn't the same boring texture from most of the other level 50 books :negative:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Volt Catfish posted:

Wow those are some cute pants are they Allagan?

They're actually just the default color of Militia, which I wear to spiritbond :shobon:

Not only are they really nice looking, but they let me hide the shame of darklight hideousness!

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Musluk posted:

The most important thing I'm looking forward to in 2.1 is the ability to macro pet skills.

I'll put steady in every spell I have on my scholar so Eos will FINALLY stop loving spamming the aoe heal.

Jokes on you, Eos has no global cooldown so there's basically a 100% chance that she'll still do that poo poo until they fix it in 2.2 2.3 maybe never.

I hope i'm wrong, but until they give her a GCD she'll just immediately pop every one of her abilities the second you use one of them.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Travis343 posted:

I think it's pretty obvious that Pharos Sirius and hard mode Haukke and Copperbell are there to supplant the current bullshit that is running the same 2 dungeons ten times a week for the Darklight grind. I'm sure people who are getting all their myth from Coil don't really care but for me I'm drat happy. It doesn't hurt that Haukke and Copperbell are my two favorite leveling dungeons.

I was really hoping for Sunken Temple, but i'm not even sure the average 50 could complete a beefed up version of it, so I guess it was never really in the running.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Musket posted:

Hard to come by? I really dont see getting one free for picking a GC, one for paying 20bux for a catte, 1 being a class mount (unicorn) and the other being storymode reward, reward for either paying for 90days or having paid for 90days, as hard to get.

There is no difference from the Cattemount and chocobo or unicorn or flying 90day eyeball.

Spend 20bux for the catte (+ barding, 10% EXP hat for use under level 10,and companion) or dont.

Actually, the flying eyeball is oh-so-slightly (but still extremely noticable) slower to cast than the basic chocobo is, to the extent that I switched back to Chocobro because I would find myself constantly cancelling the Ahriman's cast time.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Fauxtool posted:

do you use thunder even though it doesnt add to fester dmg? When would you use ifrit in a group setting?" Do you find your mana being stable enough that you can use your aethyrflow stack on fester always or do you energy drain with it too?

Thunder is triple the potency of Ruin, so you should always have it rolling on the boss. Similarly, Shadow Flare is actually your most powerful spell after Contagion-boosted Bio2/Bio/Miasma. Your basic goal is to keep all 5 debuffs up, using Fester as often as possible & skipping Shadow Flare for extra Ruins if the mobs won't stay in it for 5+ ticks.

Lance Streetman posted:

I sometimes need to energy drain, but only for longer boss fights. Though I did put a few points in Piety. I usually don't use Ifrit at all, but I assume there are fights he'd be suited for that Garuda wouldn't be. I don't use thunder because I play with a controller and need to prioritize my most useful abilities.

What do you have on your main bars? Thunder is a larger Potency/minute increase than even Shadow Flare against single targets, so it definitely belongs there.

Niton fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 2, 2013

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Khisanth Magus posted:

You know, having played MMOs for many years I expect to spend a good amount of time doing tasks that NPCs are either too lazy or incompetent to accomplish on their own, but the sheer amount of tasks I have to do for the arrogant, stuck up assholes in Coerthas highlands who are looking down on me the whole time just gets my blood boiling. The fact that such a level range when levels are slowing down is all in 2 real hubs means that I'm going to be doing every single task that an NPC should be doing, but holy poo poo couldn't they show the least bit of gratitude? I am anxious to complete this quest line not so much for the story, but rather so that I know I will never have to come back to this hellhole again. My only regret will be that I can't nuke the place on the way out.

The Snow Catholics are fantastically well written. They're also just dicks. They don't give a poo poo about you and they have absolutely zero self-control about hiding it.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Runefaust posted:

I've been trying to join PGKK for the last 2 days and I either get no response from the inviter or there isn't an inviter on.

On another note: Question about stat allocating - when I change classes, do I basically start from scratch when it comes to point allocation? How does stat allocation work from switching to one class from another?

Every base class has 30 stat points at 50. Scholar and Summoner share theirs, since they're both Arcanist job crystals.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

The fact that people offer, and in fact have successfully sold, Ifrit and Garuda runs never ceases to amaze me

You would be surprised how bad the average Dungeon Finder group is for Ifrit. They're the market for the full runs. I've seen poo poo that completely boggles the mind.

Niton fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 3, 2013

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Fenrirthviti posted:

Because Bard is a support class, not a DD. Conjurer subjob gives Bard back a ton of utility that they lost from 1.0. Stoneskin is a straight 10% HP damage shield which can be invaluable to a raid, just to name one thing.

When would you ever cast it, though? Even on Scholar, it's way more "okay" than "amazing". Arcanist's Virus and E4E are a much better support package.

Niton fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 4, 2013

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Fenrirthviti posted:

If you don't see the value in stoneskin, I really can't fix that. :)

EDIT: I'm feeling generous, so let me explain a perfect situation. Right now in Turn 5, it's basically a necessity to wear melded jewelry with VIT stacked on it to get enough HP to survive Twintania's fireballs (and other poo poo flying at you). Assuming an average of 4500 HP (the floor, pretty much, if you want to have a chance at beating the fight), it would take 31 vitality to equal a single stoneskin shield. Being able to keep that on yourself during a fight allows you to drop VIT specific gear and run more damage heavy gear. But, overall, Bard was supposed to be a support class. It's kind of shoehorned into a DPS role right now because of lack of other options. Once we see Musketeer or another ranged DD option, they'll likely make even more changes to make it a true support job.

Well, you know, at the expense of losing damage any time something hit you. You don't need Allagan to know what's going to happen the second something goes wrong after you've traded away your mandatory health level for +4 weapon damage.

Niton fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 4, 2013

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Lance Streetman posted:

So they just uploaded a new trailer for Patch 2.1:

Looks pretty interesting.

Most of that looks awesome, but Titan Extreme looks like some serious bad mojo :gonk: Not looking forward to having to do that at some point.

Niton fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Dec 6, 2013

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
I'm not convinced that Housing is going to be the Goldsink that SE seems to desperately want it to be. With the crashes in almost every major market, the amount of gil in circulation has dropped pretty heavily over the last month or so, at least on Sargantanas, and one of the major remaining markets (LW/Weaver Gear) is about to get hit as well. If you're not close to being able to afford the low-money housing on a Legacy server right now, I wouldn't expect that to change in 2.1.

Hopefully SE will add decent gil options once the rest of the markets crash, because 8 million gil is a hell of a lot of money when your big seller option is 10k :negative:

Niton fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 14, 2013

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Ciaphas posted:

I forget, is Darklight gear the stuff you buy with tomes of philosophy, mythology, or do they drop from AK? Or is it WP?

Gah :mad:

It's the stuff you buy with Philo tomes. Confusingly, it's also the weapons that drop from WP.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Law posted:

Okay so there's a quest in this game in the main storyline right near the start just after you finish your city specific quests. It plays this pretty great remix of the original FF1 battle theme but I can't find it anywhere on youtube. Does anyone know what it's called/where I can find it? I've probably been looking for it for months now.

That would be this one, I believe.

On that note, i'm looking for the music that plays during Copperbell / Haukke Hard during trash / walking around, but I haven't had any luck finding it. Anyone know where I can find that?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

NBHS posted:

That applies to pretty much every class pre-30. It's a bad sign when it's more efficient for healers to not heal.

To be fair, for a Scholar that doesn't really change until like.. Ifrit :v:. Most of your time in 4-man dungeons is spent contributing to dps, including a decent chunk of bosses.

Meiteron posted:

Both of the Hard Mode dungeon tracks are taken from 1.0 and can be found on the Before Meteor soundtrack. Ambient version is called "The Dark's Embrace" and the Combat version is called "The Dark's Kiss". I looked for a youtube version to link but it looks like almost all the soundtrack samples on there have been removed by now. :(

Ah, thank you! It's a shame they're so hard to track down, I don't think I want the Dalamud anywhere near that much :(

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

zolthorg posted:

If the group keeps taking damage the White Mage will run out of mana and it can potentially be a wipe depending on tanky cooldowns and cc and DPS. If it's a Scholar the group just dies and it's a wipe right away.

This isn't that true in low level content - Scholar can power through all the major debuffs in 30-40 content (Brayflox poison, Cutter's Cry Sandworm thing) because its single-target throughput is so much higher than White Mage's (700 base, 900 w/ Adloquium) that you can power through a lot of damage just with raw healing.

Copycat Zero posted:

Which is nice in a premade group and you can guarantee that you have one SCH and one WHM. Less so in a duty finder group for the endgame stuff where you can find yourself stuck with two SCHs and you proceed to step all over each other's feet for shields and fairy buffs because there's no coordination in DF groups.

I'm not saying you're wrong. All I know is that I can heal light party content with no issue, and I can work well when there's also a WHM in full party content, but the moment the other healer goes down or it's me and another SCH on high AoE content like Titan HM or Ultimate Weapon and suddenly I can't keep everyone up and the tank is dying and my fairy has hosed off and is doing whatever it wants (or it's doing nothing because I'm trying to micromanage it but now I don't have time to pay attention to it because OH GOD EVERYONE IS DYING) and then we wipe and I get blamed because I wasn't managing my fairy right and my shields weren't doing anything because the other SCH got of theirs a half-second before I did and is now saying that they can't "solo heal" the fight and I missed the tank transition because I was trying to get my drat fairy back into place and casting the right buff and I'm not a miracle-worker who can instantly heal the off-tank to full because she stood in the AoE and I sit there and think to myself "I wouldn't be dealing with this kind of poo poo if I'd just leveled my WHM instead".

It sounds like you just need a set of proper keybinds for your Fairy (and a bit more situational awareness for using Stay after knockbacks). Succor's current mechanics are kind of terrible and I wish it was something you ever wanted to cast twice in a row, but rotated Whispering Dawns and judicious use of Physick should be enough for anything you can actually expect a Dungeon Finder group to beat.

With 2.1's changes, pet on Obey + manual casting of buffs is more than enough to do the lion's share of healing on most infrequent AoEs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Crystal tower is a very pretty instance, but I can't help but feel that it really should have been released as a smaller dungeon with players grouped into multiples of 4. SE wants to keep the Tank:Healer:DPS ratio, but 6 healers and 6 tanks is entirely too much for Crystal Tower's mechanics.

• Locked thread