Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Ha, ha, ha. What were they thinking? Man I was all set to start maelding my crafting gear for 2 star stuff, but it doesn't even seem worth it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E Minor
Jul 3, 2004

CyberLord XP posted:

Yeah none of the two star gear makes sense now that I've read up on it some. It's like gear for gilbuyers or something, because it take a ton less tomes to get DL or whatever. I think I'll just stick with making gear for spiritbonding.

It's not that hard to make money in this game, so if you have several jobs to gear up, you can spend tomes on one and just buy the mats for the other.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

jsr v2.0 posted:

There's really nothing more frustrating than failing 5-6 Hasty Touches in a row with Steady Hand II on an item 5-6 levels below you. Using all the guides out there, I still can't reliably HQ Walnut Lumber at level 31. I feel like if I didn't fail 75% of my Hasty touches things would be different but who knows!

I'm almost convinced that there are some materials that are haunted somehow, or less superstitiously has some hidden stat. It didn't matter how high a level I was in my weaver, I was never really able to reliably HQ linen thread. It was so bizarre I'd just start laughing, failing everything, getting a really lucky excellent condition great strides combo, and making a NQ item at 94%.

But then hop on over to GSM and I'd reliably HQ electrum ingots right out the gate, something that's got a 700+ quality ceiling on linen.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
I've finally committed to remaking my character on Excalibur but I only remember to create the character while character creation is unavailable, I never remember to get online during the off hours :argh:

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots

D1Sergo posted:

I've finally committed to remaking my character on Excalibur but I only remember to create the character while character creation is unavailable, I never remember to get online during the off hours :argh:

Why don't you just transfer?

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
DS is reasonable because it's multiple pieces in one armor set (head/chest, legs/boots)

Vanya is just retardedly expensive for unknown reasons.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
So, I assume everyone on Exodus fled to Excalibur? I play during NA's night so numbers are low anyway, but drat, the place is a graveyard.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

jsr v2.0 posted:

I think the transfer is down too.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

jsr v2.0 posted:

:stare:

I'm on Excalibur as Tira Elwood now.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
That crafted gear really does seem like it's aimed at gil buyers, or people coming late into the raiding game before the next gear tier/level cap. Right now it's not worth it.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
The draw to the crafted pieces is once you have one job at 50 and are thinking about gearing up another, the grind for Darklight seems a lot less appetizing.

You need a little over 5000 philosophy to totally gear out a second job assuming no crossover for accessories. The only way to get these tomes is running the 4 dungeons that provide them 51 times, or ~25 extremely tedious hours.

Crafted pieces strictly take much more philosophy but you are not expected to actually be running dungeons to get the philosophy materials. You buy them, because there are a hundred different ways to get money once you're 50 and presumably running at least one crafting job if you're thinking about making the crafted pieces to begin with. People who aren't making the crafted pieces are the ones selling philosophy items to the people who are.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

Boten Anna posted:

There's not really a downside. The economy is more robust and there are more people with more resources and a ton of people to do things with.
As a recent transfer to Excalibur, I still don't understand how you manage to do FATEs with all those people around. Also the crowds can apparently ruin your performance.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
I just spent all of last night grinding Botany from 26 to 31!

:smithicide:

If it was this bad now, I can't even imagine how horrible it was before they buffed XP and fieldleves.

At least I can farm Oak and Flax now!

... It never ends.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

habanero walrus posted:

As a recent transfer to Excalibur, I still don't understand how you manage to do FATEs with all those people around. Also the crowds can apparently ruin your performance.

The crowds cause hilarious amounts of lag, but fates are easy. Spam shout looking for a group and hope you get one with multiple thaums. Otherwise spam flash or other low cost aoe.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The draw to Vanya armor is it looks cool.

habanero walrus posted:

Turning off battle effects can help with performance issues in fates and anything with a ton of people.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Alectai posted:

I just spent all of last night grinding Botany from 26 to 31!

:smithicide:

If it was this bad now, I can't even imagine how horrible it was before they buffed XP and fieldleves.

At least I can farm Oak and Flax now!

... It never ends.

Well, I started a major grind of Botany from 20 all the way to 43, using no levequests but having constant 50% xp boost from training manuals and watching Breaking Bad in the background. I hit 43 just as I moved onto the third season. Not a bad way to catch up, really!

Also, if you ever intend to level weaving at some point here is a free tip for you: get more flax. No, more flax than that. No, keep going. Well, just listen: if you're leveling botany, and flax is still giving you something approaching decent exp, you should probably be gathering flax.

You probably won't need as much Oak as you think you will, but flax? You'll never have enough. Ever.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Yeah, that was the plan, I know that I needed more Cotton then actually existed, and even after exhausting five or six stacks, I still find myself frequently hopping by the Cotton Plantation to pick some more.

Considering how ball-bustingly expensive the Velveteen Gap was (Though not as bad as it Was thanks to Diremite Webs being leveable). I'm not keen on buying poo poo more then I have to anymore.

Sadly, I'm going to need to hit rocks for a while at some point too, because I need more steel, and I've got 80 Bomb Ashes that I need to convert.

Also, why the gently caress is Boar Hide so expensive?

In case anyone cares, I'm currently sitting at...

Carpentry 28/Blacksmith 30/Armorer 31/Goldsmith 28/Weaver 28/Leatherworking 28

Miner 28/Botanist 31

... I think I may be addicted to crafting.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Alectai posted:

Also, why the gently caress is Boar Hide so expensive?

All hides are relatively expensive past aldgoat, unfortunately. Boar hides specifically only drop from two types of boars (lv20 and lv45 boars), which have relatively small spawn numbers, and they're needed for a relatively large stretch of LTW.

You can get the hides from a lv30-35 leves in Gridania, however. Same for gigantoad skins and lv20-25 leves in Quarrymill.

(And the same for raptor hides from lv40-45 leves.)

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

The Wool Gap makes the Velveteen Gap look like magical fairies were crafting hundreds of beautiful dew threads and then sending them to you in decorated gift baskets, in terms of relative cost and difficulty. Most people leveling Weaving skip wool entirely, hence the need for as much flax as you can stand.

I suspect Boar Hide is expensive because you can use it on several tiers of tradecraft leves and the best farming spot for it can be monopolized by one fast-moving L50 player (that place is north of Hawthorne Hut). If you really want some it's generally easy enough to go burn an hour there and grab a stack and change which should hold you over for quite awhile.

If you're addicted to crafting as you say at some point you are really going to want to start in on Culinarian. Hasty Touch is the best quality increase available due to it's total lack of CP cost. Pair it with Steady Hand to get it's success rate more reliable, and push Culinarian even higher to 37 for Steady Hand II, which is amazing. 80% success rate on Hasty Touch when it's up, or make basic synthesis never fail, for only 25CP as opposed to 22. If you're leveling botanist it's actually very easy to bring Culinarian up; don't worry that all the recipes take 5-8 ingredients because all but a couple of those tend to be very low level things you can buy from NPCs. Unlike most of the other crafts all the 80 durability synths don't have intermediate steps like thread/cloth, just plug in a core ingredient you can get from gathering and buy the rest of the little ingredients and you're good.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Meiteron posted:

The draw to the crafted pieces is once you have one job at 50 and are thinking about gearing up another, the grind for Darklight seems a lot less appetizing.

You need a little over 5000 philosophy to totally gear out a second job assuming no crossover for accessories. The only way to get these tomes is running the 4 dungeons that provide them 51 times, or ~25 extremely tedious hours.

Crafted pieces strictly take much more philosophy but you are not expected to actually be running dungeons to get the philosophy materials. You buy them, because there are a hundred different ways to get money once you're 50 and presumably running at least one crafting job if you're thinking about making the crafted pieces to begin with. People who aren't making the crafted pieces are the ones selling philosophy items to the people who are.

If you get a good WP speedrunning group, you can plow through it in about 20 minutes, and shorten that 5k DL grind by about 8 hours. I think 15 minute runs might be possible if your group has the gear to pull 3 packs at a time (admittedly, I think this would be like Allagan+AF2). Doing 2 at a time I can get through in ~22m

This also has the added benefit of easily taking care of your Myth tome needs every week. Prae/CM are dead to me, considering WP is fast as hell, pretty easy, and negotiating with the stalkers keeps the dungeon pretty fresh and fun. I've run it like a dozen times and it has gotten pretty rote, but it's still fun because I have to scramble to dodge stalkers at least once a dungeon. I <3 WP

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Magres posted:

If you get a good WP speedrunning group, you can plow through it in about 20 minutes, and shorten that 5k DL grind by about 8 hours. I think 15 minute runs might be possible if your group has the gear to pull 3 packs at a time (admittedly, I think this would be like Allagan+AF2). Doing 2 at a time I can get through in ~22m

This also has the added benefit of easily taking care of your Myth tome needs every week. Prae/CM are dead to me, considering WP is fast as hell, pretty easy, and negotiating with the stalkers keeps the dungeon pretty fresh and fun. I've run it like a dozen times and it has gotten pretty rote, but it's still fun because I have to scramble to dodge stalkers at least once a dungeon. I <3 WP

IIRC if you have full DL, Relic +1 and pld, blm, brd, whm(not sure if the healer matters) you can do it in about 10 minutes. I think the first part is one pull, the second part is two pulls and relies on the fact that the big Tonberries reset if you run through them and the final segment is one pull.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
The linen deerstalker and linen wedge cap of gathering trade leves were a godsend for getting to 50. I really only ended up using wool to make crafting gear and to finish out the class quests.

And now I spent a couple of hours leveling botany to help out with my culinarian exploits and it's about as boring as I feared. At least I'm able to squirrel away plenty of lumber, half to sell and half to eventually level my carpenter, so at least it's providing utility in a lot of flavors. Soooo goddamn boring though.

How do the good field leves work again? I can't really find any guides on them and the only time the crafting guide linked from the OP mentions DoL classes, it's just: stay the gently caress away from them, the hell is wrong with you?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

NovemberMike posted:

IIRC if you have full DL, Relic +1 and pld, blm, brd, whm(not sure if the healer matters) you can do it in about 10 minutes. I think the first part is one pull, the second part is two pulls and relies on the fact that the big Tonberries reset if you run through them and the final segment is one pull.

I believe it in a heartbeat. I haven't had that comp, but even BRD MNK PLD WHM went super, super fast - our WHM could dump out Holy nonstop and still have MP to cure, and I was hammering Flash basically as fast as I could and still had plenty of MP for every pull.

Just another reason I need to finish DL on my PLD and start leveling BRD. They're so goddamned good, they'd be retardedly OP if they had a better LB. If they had like, a ranged form of the melee DD LB they would be hands down, no argument, the best DPS in the game. poo poo, even if they had to run up to melee and had the melee DD LB they'd be disgusting.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Tarranon posted:

The linen deerstalker and linen wedge cap of gathering trade leves were a godsend for getting to 50. I really only ended up using wool to make crafting gear and to finish out the class quests.

And now I spent a couple of hours leveling botany to help out with my culinarian exploits and it's about as boring as I feared. At least I'm able to squirrel away plenty of lumber, half to sell and half to eventually level my carpenter, so at least it's providing utility in a lot of flavors. Soooo goddamn boring though.

How do the good field leves work again? I can't really find any guides on them and the only time the crafting guide linked from the OP mentions DoL classes, it's just: stay the gently caress away from them, the hell is wrong with you?

Certain field leves will have a very specific setup: either 4 or 8 gather points, with 2 items at each, one at your level and one several levels higher, modified by difficulty. Every item you gather gives you a certain evaluation point value, with the higher-level items worth more. Depending on how high you push your elevation (it'll tell you how high) you can pick up you can end up with a +25% boost to XP reward before the difficulty boost, which is pretty useful.

That said, like other levequests once the game has given you your choices for leves you are stuck with those choices until you actually accept one and do it to refresh the leves available to you. All the levequest camps generally have 4 quests available, 2 that have the +25% bonus and 2 that don't, so you'll have to cycle between the good and bad ones if you're spamming.

If you're stocking lumber for levelling carpentry, prioritize walnut and mahogany. You'll need a lot of the former and even more of the latter.

Magres posted:

Just another reason I need to finish DL on my PLD and start leveling BRD. They're so goddamned good, they'd be retardedly OP if they had a better LB. If they had like, a ranged form of the melee DD LB they would be hands down, no argument, the best DPS in the game. poo poo, even if they had to run up to melee and had the melee DD LB they'd be disgusting.

Take this with a grain of salt, but yesterday there was a live Letter from the Producer and Yoshida mentioned (assuming the translation was correct) that they consider BRD to be a bit too overpowered at the moment and it's going to get hit with a nerf bat in 2.1. It will almost certainly still be very effective but I wouldn't be blowing mythology or anything on it until we get a sense of where it stacks with other dps after the update.

Edit: VVVV Check out the GC hunting log and fill out the first few entries. Run Halatali (I think, your log will say which dungeon) once to grab the entries in there, and you should be pretty close to 2000.

Meiteron fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 21, 2013

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So what's the quickest way to get the 2000 GC I need for a chocobo? I tried running FATEs, but that seems to require me having a chocobo to get any significant amount of points.

e:v Sweet, thanks. Heard different opinions on what was best when I googled how to get GCs.

Blast of Confetti fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 21, 2013

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Blast of Confetti posted:

So what's the quickest way to get the 2000 GC I need for a chocobo? I tried running FATEs, but that seems to require me having a chocobo to get any significant amount of points.

GC Hunting Log.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I hate to ask That Question, but is there a particular job that's in high demand? If not, I'm torn between Dragoon or Summoner, is one particularly weak/useless compared to the other?

Zach the Drifter
Jul 16, 2006

Blast of Confetti posted:

Certainly the hunting log, but you should do fates in a group almost always! That way the group will tag more mobs and you will get 'significant points'.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zach the Drifter posted:

Certainly the hunting log, but you should do fates in a group almost always! That way the group will tag more mobs and you will get 'significant points'.

Eh, I'm holding off on joining a group until I have a chocobo. I don't want to be a burden since right now I only show up in time to get points about half the time.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Requested_Username posted:

I hate to ask That Question, but is there a particular job that's in high demand? If not, I'm torn between Dragoon or Summoner, is one particularly weak/useless compared to the other?

Tanks > Healers > Dps in general, but there's room for everyone. Everything's relatively balanced, and the major imbalances (pld > war, brd > everything) are being looked at.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

Go Arcanist. It will allow you to play Summoner, and also Scholar, which is actually in demand. Healers are always needed and there are a lot more WHMs than SCHs but you really want one of each whenever possible.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

I think the general thoughts right now are that WAR is a little underpowered (a smidge, they're fine) and BRD is a little overpowered. Goons have hundreds of every job, so just play what you want. Both WAR and BRD are getting further balanced.

Summoner has the advantage of also letting you get Scholar at the same time. Dragoons have rad belly dancer armor.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Those are kind of both of the black sheeps in the game. They're perfectly fine outside of people poking at numbers in raids, but there's better versions of both of them. Either way, if you're going to go for a class that's in high demand you should be playing a tank or even a healer, not a DPS.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

tonic316 posted:

I'm on Adamantoise! Have fun on Excalibur. I might join in on the fun later but for right now my FC is doing fine since we are all ex FFXI players from the same server/LS.

...are you in <GENIS> by chance? I'm on Adamantoise too, and I'm rolling with a group of people that all played FFXI together... just wondering if I know you.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Right now, current class balance can probably be described like this:

-Pld has a step up over War due to their access to multiple defensive cooldowns and War's almost total lack of the same.
-Ranged DPS has a slight edge over Melee DPS due being easier to position and being able to avoid close-range damage. BRD has an edge over other ranged.
-People like the healing classes enough that most groups will take one of each.

Almost all the classes are well-balanced at the moment. The variations are there but fairly slight, honestly, and right now the problems are only really noticeable in the very last few fights available in endgame (I've seen all jobs in Bahamut's Coil and only my own job, War, has run into truly critical issues). SE has acknowledged almost all of the current complaints people have and are planning fixes for 2.1.

All that said if I were to make my own choice between your two options I would probably pick Summoner.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
What's Scholar healing like anyway? I'm a 34 White Mage now and it seems pretty straightforward. Is SCH a little more involved?

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

folgore posted:

What's Scholar healing like anyway? I'm a 34 White Mage now and it seems pretty straightforward. Is SCH a little more involved?

You have a pet that does a ton of free healing for you. Your main heals put damage shields over targets, but you have less raw throughput than a WHM.

EDIT: They also seem to cause a lot less threat than WHMs so I will always prefer them in a 4 man, as a tank. (I guess this means I'm bad)

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

folgore posted:

Scholar leans on Eos/Selene for their throughput, so it's a big drag if you're fighting something like the first boss in Aurum Vale which can kill your pet straight up. Swiftcast is 100% essential, even moreso than on WHM (for the same reason), and you get the strongest pre-emptive healing in Adloquium. You also contribute more damage than WHMs on packs of 1 through 4 mobs, after which WHM's Holy continue's scaling while Bane is capped.

The biggest weaknesses are relatively weak throughput cooldowns and lack of mana-efficient AoE healing.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

sentrygun posted:

Those are kind of both of the black sheeps in the game. They're perfectly fine outside of people poking at numbers in raids, but there's better versions of both of them. Either way, if you're going to go for a class that's in high demand you should be playing a tank or even a healer, not a DPS.

Eh, I wouldn't say that either are really black sheep. Our numbers aren't accurate enough to say anything too convincing about either, but IIRC Summoner and Dragoon both have very competent dps and some utility as well. The only real problem they have (outside of not being bards) is that they have weaker AOE damage, which is important for speed runs of WP and AK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

folgore posted:

Actually SCH always feels a bit more autopilot for me, especially in 8 man groups. With WHM I feel like I'm constantly on edge that I'm going to miss a member running off and doing something stupid until it is too late to heal them, with SCH so long as they haven't wandered too far off the pet will take care of the random hits to the ranged while I keep my eyes on the front line. Also if the poo poo hits the fan I always feel much more comfortable blowing all my MP as a SCH because your tools to refill your bar on short demand blow away WHM. That said, both are pretty sufficient classes and relatively painless to play and if you end up playing both in endgame you can save some grinding by being able to use your darklight gear for both.

NovemberMike posted:

Eh, I wouldn't say that either are really black sheep. Our numbers aren't accurate enough to say anything too convincing about either, but IIRC Summoner and Dragoon both have very competent dps and some utility as well. The only real problem they have (outside of not being bards) is that they have weaker AOE damage, which is important for speed runs of WP and AK.

I actually have BRD capped from 1.0 but I've been going out of my way to run all my endgame stuff with SMN. I will break out BRD occasionally but I feel like SMN is more even, I can really lay in and not have to worry so much about aggro because the last 1/3rd or so of my damage is coming from a different target. I would rather they not gimp BRD though because I do still enjoy the class even though I'm a bit burnt on it, maybe just drop the enkindle timer a bit and kick up shadow flare a few damage ticks or even roll shadow flare into fester somehow.

One things for sure though, unless tri-disaster gets a significant timer / cast / mp drop SMN is going to get reamed in PVP.

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 21, 2013

• Locked thread