Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Cerebulon posted:

I don't know how accurate this is, but even if the scale is slightly off it would seem the map isn't nearly as big as Rockstar claimed:

It's still loving huge and very pretty though.

What is this using for reference? It looks like they just took the San Andreas map of Los Santos, made it some arbitrary size, and then compared it to Los Santos from GTAV. Also saying that San Andreas doesn't use repeated buildings? That's blatantly false and leads me to believe whoever made this was just tripping on nostalgia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Speedball posted:

I want to say that painted landsculpture in the desert is based off of something in real life. I know large parts of Blaine County resemble Joshua Tree National Park (all it's missing is the cholla cactus) and the mountains resemble Big Bear areas.

It's based on Salvation Mountain.

causticBeet posted:

I'm not familiar with the real landmark but isn't there a purple dinosaur somewhere

Yeah and he's eating a giant hot dog :3:

kri kri posted:

When did they say this?

I can't find where, but R* definitely said there's going to be a mission editor. They also said it's not going to be available at the launch of GTAO, but the race and deathmatch editors will. I suspect that they're using some sort of beta version to create the 500 or so missions they claim GTAO is going to have.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Hockles posted:

While finishing some missions, I see that Martin appears missing an ear

Woah, could this be evidence that there's something happening offscreen that's going to be explained later a la TLAD and BOGT?

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
Is there any ambient music when you're just swimming around underwater in free roam? I've been swimming around for hours and haven't heard anything. It feels like a missed opportunity considering that they likely could have produced a great underwater ambient track right up there with Jolly Roger Bay.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

lady blue shanghai posted:

I just want to be sure I'm not missing anything with the phone. When you get emails, you hit X (PS3) to reply and that's the only way to reply, right? All of my emails have the red reply arrow at the bottom, but I can only reply to certain ones. For example I can reply to Brad and Ron but not to Maude - even though her email seems like she wants a reply. :confused: Why is the reply arrow there if I can't reply? Or am I doing something wrong?

The green arrow is the reply one.

It makes more sense on the 360 where the green A button is reply, and the red B button is to go back.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
When/if the PC version comes out, would anyone be interested in a mod or API that gives you more control over what plays on radio stations? I love the soundtrack in this game, I think it's right up there with Vice City, but I have this overwhelming urge to remove I'm Free from the radio and replace it with Danger Zone.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

VarXX posted:

So, Rockstar has put up an update about the plans for GTA:Online

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/51422/some-more-details-on-grand-theft-auto-online.html

Looks like Heists will not be in at launch but will come in a free update, prices of everything has been rebalanced with people who don't want to spend money on microtransactions in mind. Some of the free updates planned include new weapons, game modes, vehicles and clothing.

The best part of this is the word "free". This owns :haw:

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Crappy Jack posted:

The trucks are listed on the map on the social club, they're technically random events.

Also, you can't shoot out the back of a truck unless it was in a random event. I once found an armored truck driving around, took out the drivers, and managed to escape into the sewers with it. Then I unloaded 100+ shotgun shells into the back of it and the fucker STILL wouldn't open, so I drove it into the subway and left it on the tracks, threatening the subway conductor with a gun so he would ram into the truck, which blew it up and sent money flying everywhere. It was pretty loving awesome, but it still feels like an oversight that I was unable to blow open the doors.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Trevor is FYAD as all hell.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Vargs posted:

Probably because it's pretty poo poo compared to the other 2. Bullet time isn't all that amazing when you have instant lock on targeting.

Well I (and anyone who isn't a total scrub) play with lock-on turned off, and hardly ever remember to use bullet time. For me it's less about the lock on and more about the hitscan bullets and lack of shootdodge.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

piratepilates posted:

Steven Ogg was in an episode of Law & Order, if you keep watching long enough maybe you'll spot him.

Franklin's guy hasn't been in any of the L&O unfortunately, he also only has three credits on imdb, I wonder what their process for hiring these VOs was since none of them really have many credits and must be either commercials actors or not making a living off of acting, or professional VO actors that aren't big enough for us to know otherwise.

edit: you know the guy who played Steve Haines also looks just like Steve Haines, I wonder if they just modelled all the in game characters off of their voice actors.

I don't really think so, Slink Capone doesn't look anything like Lamar in my opinion.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

He's the singer from Suicidal Tendencies!

All he wanted was an ice cream, just one ice cream :(

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 29, 2013

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

James Polk posted:

When I go to the gun store I can only modify new guns for purchase.

That's not true at all, you can only modify guns you own. If the store is letting you customize a gun it means you already have it.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Lasher posted:

So I did the Omega missions and got the special prize and almost IMMEDIATELY flipped it. It's gone for good isn't it? I went to try and maybe get a car to shunt it over before thinking maybe I could flip it myself but no... That gaudy angel is gone.

You're gonna hate hearing this but you can flip an upside-down car back over with the left stick.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

Hey guys, post your custom cars!

Here is my Obey Tailgater.

As with most good pearlescent combinations, pictures don't do this thing justice. The base color is Graphite, the secondary color (roof/hood) is Wine Red, and there's a Bright Orange Pearlescent over the top.

It looks like I'm driving a sunset :clint:

Pearlescent Tailgater bros :hf:

Mine is wine red with a dew yellow pearlescence. They're complementary so the result is a kind of complex bronze-like color that varies anywhere from red to brown to yellow to green. One thing I've learned is that the darker your base color is, the more the pearlescence is going to shine through.

vvv Yeah vvv

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 1, 2013

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Laserface posted:

I found a bunch of dead guys in the desert with a $25k cash drop. I took the money and killed the survivors, which prompted a gang to come and get me, who shot the tank of my car which created a gas leak that they then lit to try to kill me.

first and only time I has happened, but it does happen it seems.

This happened to me too, but it was around the northwest corner of the map, definitely not the desert. Does this mean it could happen more than once?

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Croccers posted:

Anything in the distance doesn't need to be more than just low poly flat-textured terrain leading into fog.. LA Noir used impassable roadblocks but it still has stuff in the distance. It really wouldn't be that much of an issue to force turn around a player car, or fade the screen to black then face the player back into the map.
But no, 2013 and they're (As in pretty much everyone. The only game that had a real justifiable reason was Just Cause 2) still using the island cop-out.

I'd rather it be an island than whatever terrible ideas you come up with.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

rotinaj posted:

I'd accept that over floating in an infinite void of water. How in the world is the designer destination for moviemaking and all that gonna be some island literally loving forever and a day away from any other land? Didn't Sleeping Dogs have a modelled landscape off in the distance to show where China was? That'd make WAY more sense, if we can't actually be connected to somewhere.

It's suspension of disbelief. Again, I'd rather have an island than the game show you an area of the map that you can't possibly access. Even if you design it to be as low-poly and uninteresting as you can, I still feel like it invalidates everything sandbox games are supposed to be.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Pleads posted:

This thread is great. Two weeks of "goddamn GTA:Online is going to be hammered for the first few days" and we still get endless posts about the online being inaccessible or janky when connected.

Just great :allears:

I'm over 100 miles away from my Xbox for the next week and I really couldn't have picked a better time. Being so close to GTAO but unable to enjoy it would be brutal. I feel bad for those of you who expected anything different.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

rotinaj posted:

They handled all of this really, really well in Red Dead Redemption, and the gameworld made a lot more sense.

If you can't see why this wouldn't work in GTA then I don't know what to possibly tell you.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

rotinaj posted:

If they want to have an island setting, make it an island setting. That would be fine by me. Don't claim that we're this bustling, vital heart of all pop culture for the US if we're Hawaii.

So they should limit themselves to only using boring, small island towns for the setting? Why? So you don't get upset?

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

rotinaj posted:

How dare someone criticize GTA5 for something they personally think doesn't make sense :qq: MY IMMERSION WOULD BE RUINED IF THE GAME SETTING WASN'T FLOATING IN AN INFINITE VOID OF WATER, IT'S ~tradition~

For gently caress's sake, you goony fucks. I just did the mission where you go above Chiliad and skydive to the top of it and said "Hey, you know what doesn't make sense? This island's in the middle of fuckin' nowhere". I say said thought to the screaming maw of the internet, and apparently I am screaming in rage and snapping my game disc in half because of inconsistency.

Nope, I'm driving a drunk couple to the Altruists, because this "argument" isn't really all that fuckin' important.

You're getting really worked up over this and you seem to be the only one who gives a poo poo about immersion. Nobody else cares about the lack of logicality behind Los Santos being the vital heart of all pop culture situated on an island in the middle of nowhere. It's suspension of disbelief.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

SplitSoul posted:

Oh! Oh! I know this one! Their respective SA threads didn't devolve into stupid, 30-page circular arguments about parachutes, immersion and car handling every two days.

Hey man, if R* didn't remove parachutes from IV so they could charge you for them as DLC, none of this would have happened. I still can't believe that they removed wingsuits from V are planning to sell them as DLC now too. The cheek of it!

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Intel&Sebastian posted:

b-b-b-b-b-but the cloud!

"Where did the cloud go?" has become an in-joke between me and my brother.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

JGBeagle posted:

Just tried to start a shooting range challenge and now I'm waiting at the launching session screen again. Why couldn't I be contempt with just killing pubbies. :negative:

I don't think that's the right word for what you're trying to say :crossarms:

Broseph Brostar posted:

I played GTAO with some goons all night with only a couple issues, stats reset at least once, and my minimap is stuck enlarged permanently making it impossible to see my health or armor. This bug won't actually go away upon switching back to single player or restarting the game from the dashboard. Despite that issue, it was still a load of fun all night.

Did you try going into the settings and making the safe zone smaller?

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

MrLonghair posted:

aw poo poo look out Henderston

"Gangland outfit '1000-1009'" :haw:

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
There are vehicles in GTAO that can fit everyone in the server as passengers :haw:

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
Does GTAO allow me to maintain more than one online character?

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

RatHat posted:

Sounds like Altruists. They're basically amish cannibals.

I don't know what settlements you've been visiting but none of the Amish folks I've met walk around with their dicks out :stare:

M.Ciaster posted:

I'm flat fuckin' broke right now anyway so I won't be buyin' it for a while. Count me in as part of the Goon crew when I eventually do, though! In the meantime I'll just keep screwin' around in singleplayer. I love just driving around at night as Michael wearing a leather jacket, feels eerily similar to Michael Mann's Thief (especially with the Tangerine Dream ambient score)

You're better off this way. It's a pretty bad idea to purchase XBL just for one game, but if you're like me and just say gently caress it and buy it anyway, you'll get the most out of your money by putting it off until they start adding features. By that point the game should at least be borderline playable.

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 3, 2013

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

RatHat posted:

Don't buy properties intending to make money. The only one that'd be worth it is the Sonar Collections Dock since you get around 1 million out of it by collecting nuclear waste barrels(you pay 250k for the dock though). All the rest take way too long to become profitable. If you do the assassination missions after the main story and invest all your money you should never need to worry about money again anyway.

I've definitely got my money's worth out of the customs shop on Route 68, not in the form of actual cash but in free car modifications.

But yeah you're never going to make an actual profit off of anything besides the sonar dock.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Damo posted:

The whole point of my tirade is that free aim is poo poo, did you somehow miss that? I have to use auto aim because with the new hardcore amount of damage you take, free aim is not nearly versatile enough to keep up with killing enemies fast enough to not die all the time. I can either take 5 seconds to line up a shot that would take me <1 in every other game with decent aiming mechanics, and die, or just use autoaim and paint by numbers my way through all the battles.

People who use free aim, how in the name of god do you keep crosshairs on moving dudes, especially people moving perpendicular to you, well enough to justify not using auto aim? Trying to hit moving dudes ALONE is reason enough to never use free aim. It's loving impossible.

edit: VV So how do you manage to hit moving dudes so well (without strafing yourself) reliably enough to not be forced into autoaim? What am I missing, because I can't do it for poo poo. Awkward as it is to say, I am pretty good at aiming in video games with whatever controllers, so don't say "stop sucking." poo poo, even just trying to change aim from a dude on one side to someone on the other side of the screen is hard to do quickly enough to survive in GTAV, but any other game is no problem.

How would you compare the feel of the aiming in GTAV versus, say, Saints Row? I'm curious if you find it identical or even similar at all, because that would be mental to me. They are worlds apart in quality.

I was never aware that free aim actually varies that much from game to game. Aside from crosshair speed, what was the difference between free aim in GTAV and SR4?

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Damo posted:

GTAV has an acceleration component to it it seems. When the crosshairs are still, the stick is tuned to move them at a more fine pace. As you pick up your aiming movement, this sensitivity increases, which make stick movement move the crosshairs faster.

It sounds fine in theory, but what happens is that (for me at least) the muscle memory of aiming gets all hosed up because you don't have a analog stick that relates your movement to cursor movement the same every time you move it. The amount the stick movement affects the crosshair movement varies depending on what the acceleration is doing.

So in a game like SRIV, I know that if I move the stick a certain amount, it will always move the crosshair by the same amount. In GTAV this is not the case, and as a result the movement feels more "wild" and floaty I guess. It takes a lot of stick movement to get the cursor going fast to acquire a new target, then less to keep it going at the speed you picked up to, then more again still to line up the shot once you slow it down upon reaching your target.

All that opposed to just holding down the control stick the same amount to move the cursor the same speed from start to finish.

I hope that makes sense. I could be completely wrong about this, and there is no acceleration, but this is what it feels like to me. Maybe something else is causing it.

Yeah, I figured it might have some sort of acceleration. If it does, I just hadn't noticed it, but then again I'm also pretty bad at shooters so I've just been praying and spraying my way through. If that's the case, having no setting to turn it off seems like a pretty lovely decision.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

leidend posted:

I found it unnerving to drive without an engine noise, but yeah easily the best handling/fastest car I've used.

The lack of engine noise is the best part though! Turn off the radio and cruise around in complete silence, it's great. Also, I think the Truffade Adder has a faster top speed, but the Coil has a better acceleration, even without modifications. I prefer it so much more to the Adder because it's so zippy.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think you misunderstand what I'm saying.

edit: ^^^ yep. The game wouldn't let me pull the trigger.

Try covering them in gasoline and setting them on fire. More like border petrol if you ask me :v:

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

muscles like this? posted:

So I've finished the game and think its kind of weird that throughout the entire thing you never fly a fighter jet. In fact, after the first couple of Trevor missions you never have to fly a plane in any story mission. Just seems kind of weird. Same with how they put in a lot of elaborate areas that they don't touch, like the prison or the outdoor auditorium up in the hills.

They're used in GTA:O but I'm thinking (and hoping) that they're going to be used to future DLC. There are three highly detailed areas of the map that aren't used at all in the story; the Kortz museum, the prison, and the casino. All three of them are perfect locations to pull off heists too, which makes me really excited.

This is the only game I've played where I'm actually looking forward to them adding new missions as DLC. It feels like if Ocarina of Time started coming out with DLC dungeons.

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 6, 2013

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Rapdawg posted:

I had one issue, having only watched my Dad play SA and reading Game Informer's mystery article... What of the ghost cars?

The ghost cars were a bug, not an easter egg, but that would be kinda cool if it did go from being an unsubstantiated myth to a real thing, kind of like the red truck, bigfoot, and a bunch of other easter eggs.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Crappy Jack posted:

....you don't have to do that. You automatically unlock the automatic parachutes after a story mission.

I haven't even touched the flight school and I have automatic parachutes on every character every time I jump out of a heli.

I don't even see why unlocking them has to be a thing. The only way you could possibly jump from a flying vehicle without one and survive would be from the helicopter or blimp, if they were hovering a few feet above the ground.

Or you could do this :unsmigghh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0iaXgeRyJ4

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

"Well a Heart Stopper is a Heart Stopper but they call it 'Le Heart Stopper.'"

Are we talking about France or Reddit?

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

Now I'm upset because you all are saying all DLC is going to be online only.

Who has been saying this? AFAIK, the only DLC that's been announced was the free online one with a bunch of clothes and some guns and cars, but it doesn't stand to reason that we won't see any singleplayer DLC.

Party Plane Jones posted:

San Andreas had 119, actually.

Yea San Andreas owned though.

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 8, 2013

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I love the reward for the spaceship parts. :allears: Does it actually have any special properties or is it just there for the sake of funny?

I think it has a little less gravity than usual. And it also makes fun noises!

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

Whoever thought a 25+ minute triathalon was a good idea should be tortured. Having to press A for a straight 25 minutes is terrible. I'm still doing this goddamn traiathalon and my hands are cramping up.

Maybe you shouldn't press the A button so rapidly. You can reach your maximum speed pretty easily without having to press the button a million times a second.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Some of these jumps, fellows. That one at the docks, where you jump onto the warehouse roof? Yeah, excuse my language but sod that for a game of soldiers. You may be laughing Rockstar, but you gave me an out this time!

I was struggling to decide which has the worst jumps, this or Vice City. I think this one takes the cake, at least Vice City often gave you it if you at least hit the target.

And I've encountered the bug where the radio stops working. :(

Wait, what are you talking about? Those quarter pipe jumps at the airport are amazing, I jumped onto the roof of a 5 story carpark :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

This makes me really upset that Trevor doesn't have any suspenders options in this game :(

• Locked thread