Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The over/under is 5.5 pounds for Combined Weight of Total Belt Buckles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Well that escalated quickly.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

R.D. Mangles posted:

The over/under is 5.5 pounds for Combined Weight of Total Belt Buckles.

While drinking Sarsaparilla and eating baked cowboy beans from a fire made of buffalo chips.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

LeeMajors posted:

While drinking Sarsaparilla and eating baked cowboy beans from a fire made of buffalo chips.

Sounds like a typical Texas football tailgate.

ACoolT5
Sep 23, 2003

All Hail Saban
Of the blood, and of the Tide

This is my new favorite internet thing.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

ACoolT5 posted:

This is my new favorite internet thing.

I've watched it at least 4 times today. My favorite things include the following:

1. The high-voiced angry guy is named "Tucker."
2. The way that the dude says "ARE YOU THREATENING TO FIGHT"?
3. The fact that guy goes from being mystified and off-handedly joking about the absurd possibility that this assembly of tough-talking old white rich people in suits is going to end in a brawl to being prepared to fight Joe Jumail takes less than 90 seconds and apparently being referred to as a "dumb son of a bitch."
4. The fact that ridiculous macho posturing by old, rich, white men in suits pretty much explains every single thing about Texas politics since 1820.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Thermos H Christ posted:

Texas says that Dodds is sticking around until the end of August, but they want to have their new AD found by December 1. I think there's going to be a period where the new AD takes on more and more responsibilities, ending with Dodds officially stepping down. Unless things go amazing from here on out, I bet Mack will announce before the end of the season that he won't be back for the next one.

e: For anyone who hasn't, have a listen to Joe Jamail questioning a witness at a deposition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIxmrvbMeKc

e2: By his own account, after seeing UCLA crush Texas 66-3 in 1997, Jamail went up to Dodds and said "Deloss, how much loving money will it take to get my name off that loving field?"

The Wealthiest Practicing Lawyer in America.

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.
I feel like one or more of the people in that video should be chewing tobacco and spitting after each sentence. It's almost sad that they aren't.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Thermos H Christ posted:

Texas says that Dodds is sticking around until the end of August, but they want to have their new AD found by December 1. I think there's going to be a period where the new AD takes on more and more responsibilities, ending with Dodds officially stepping down.

Aside from that amazing video this sounds like a really odd situation to me, do other schools do this? If Mack goes away will the new guy have final say on whoever they hire at HC or?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Grittybeard posted:

Aside from that amazing video this sounds like a really odd situation to me, do other schools do this? If Mack goes away will the new guy have final say on whoever they hire at HC or?

I suspect Dodds will be AD in name only for much of that time. I think it has to do with (1) Dodds' contract including a $1m bonus/annuity if he's still there on literally the day he plans to step down and (2) Chip Brown reported Deloss was stepping down before the end of the year and this way they can still kinda be like NUH UH.

I bet the new guy will be the one picking Mack's replacement if he goes before next season.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 3, 2013

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

R.D. Mangles posted:

I've watched it at least 4 times today. My favorite things include the following:

1. The high-voiced angry guy is named "Tucker."
2. The way that the dude says "ARE YOU THREATENING TO FIGHT"?
3. The fact that guy goes from being mystified and off-handedly joking about the absurd possibility that this assembly of tough-talking old white rich people in suits is going to end in a brawl to being prepared to fight Joe Jumail takes less than 90 seconds and apparently being referred to as a "dumb son of a bitch."
4. The fact that ridiculous macho posturing by old, rich, white men in suits pretty much explains every single thing about Texas politics since 1820.

5. "fat boy!" "mr. hairpiece!"

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Grittybeard posted:

I suppose you could whiff so bad that the follow through gets you, but in all likelihood he wasn't chopping wood so much as screwing around because he's a punter with nothing to do.

First thing you teach anyone learning to use an axe is to keep your hands lower than the axe head while swinging. That way, if you miss or do some other stupid new person thing, your miss goes into the ground. If you swing an axe with your arms up high, your miss goes into your leg or the axe flies out of your hands.

/axe derail

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Thermos H Christ posted:

5. "fat boy!" "mr. hairpiece!"

I believe he said "fat boah"

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I need to immediately start using the phrases "are you threatening to fight?," "you watch and see, big boy," "that ain't your goddamn job, fat boy," and "you've got an incipient bad mouth" in my everyday life. If any of you are lawyers (and I think like 95% of TFF is lawyers), you need to start yelling "don't be tellin' another lawyer to shut up" all of the time.

e: Now I have this picture saved on my computer as "Texas Fight.jpg

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 3, 2013

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
One of my clients in an attorney and this is his style of dealing with other lawyers and it really is amazing to see.

And before you ask yes he is a Texas alum, his office is literally burnt orange and western furniture

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

"You've got an incipient bad mouth" is going in my permanent memory file of things to blurt at unwitting family reunion attendees.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
My plan has always been to charm juries by being a folksy southern gentleman lawyer who wore seersucker, had a cane, used the phrase "well now I don't know much" a lot, and frequently referred to the life lessons of my fictional grandpappy. But now I'm starting to think that Angry Texas Lawyer is really the way to go.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
now I ain't no fancy big city lawyah *plucks suspenders*

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I almost bought a seersucker suit this year but I hated to render my other suits useless.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

These guys talk like my barber. Other than that, what a bunch of wannabe playground bullies.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Joe Jamail, despite being a UT grad, loving owns and I won't hear otherwise.

Don't go to law school, by the way.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I told you!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Dijkstra posted:

These guys talk like my barber. Other than that, what a bunch of wannabe playground bullies.

Yeah it always amuses me to see businessmen and lawyers threaten or intimidate someone physically.

OK, yeah, you're really about to throw that punch, I'm sure.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

woops wrong thread

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I almost bought a seersucker suit this year but I hated to render my other suits useless.

Seersucker might've been awesome at one time, but bro-heim fuckfaces in Charleston have ruined it for everyone.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mike Garafolo of Fox Sports is reporting USC has approached Jeff Tedford to come on as an offensive consultant and recruiter, along with the chance to be a candidate for the HC position.

Tedford has turned the initial offer down but is entertaining the HC job.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

GD_American posted:

Yeah it always amuses me to see businessmen and lawyers threaten or intimidate someone physically.

OK, yeah, you're really about to throw that punch, I'm sure.
Plus, who the hell in their right mind would want to fight a bunch of lawyers, each with a serious case of three-inch dick syndrome? Sure, you can maybe kick their asses but give them a few months and you'll wish YOU were dead.

DJExile posted:

Mike Garafolo of Fox Sports is reporting USC has approached Jeff Tedford to come on as an offensive consultant and recruiter, along with the chance to be a candidate for the HC position.

Tedford has turned the initial offer down but is entertaining the HC job.

Honestly I like coach O and all but the fact that USC thought Tedford would seriously entertain working for him is kinda funny.

That's almost like approaching Bill Snyder or someone and offering him the "opportunity" to go work for Ron Zook.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
I've had to stop more than one deposition because of an imminent deponent/attorney fight, and have been pretty close to blows with opposing counsel on at least one occasion.

I'm in Lexington, but a lot of my practice is in far-flung Eastern Kentucky.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
It's worth noting that the tipping point comes when Ed Carstarphen tells the deponent and Joe Jamail not to talk over each other. It's not really even a legal objection, he's just calmly reminding them to take turns talking so the stenographer can get a good record of what's being said.

But bold Tucker has had enough, and in no time a Texas Twister of :bahgawd: is unleashed.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Joe Jamail won a $7 billion judgment (might still be the largest judgment to date) in Harris County with the "In Texas a handshake is a deal, and these fancy big city New Yorkers can't come in and mess with the way we do bid'ness here in Texas".

Pennzoil v. Texaco is the coolest case.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
"I didn't say anything. I said you have a case of incipient verbal diarrhea."

need to figure out how to use this phrase and the word incipient more.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I imagine Mack announces he's retiring at the end of the season the week after Texas first win following their second conference loss, if that makes sense. So let's say after the Kansas game on Nov. 2.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Frackie Robinson posted:

I imagine Mack announces he's retiring at the end of the season the week after Texas first win following their second conference loss, if that makes sense. So let's say after the Kansas game on Nov. 2.

Ugh I just can't loving take that man any more. All my positive associations have been wiped away. Seeing his reaction to the ISU win (the press conference more than on the field) literally made me feel sick to my stomach. The dude wasn't putting on a face, he really was just pleased as punch with that outcome. Even going so far as to defend Mike Evans being a total shitlord. Taylor Gaspar reported on twitter that "Major Applewhite not happy about #Texas' offense. Mack Brown said he needs to get over it & never be angry after a win."

Jesus, Mack, no wonder this program has been run in to the ground given the utter lack of leadership you exhibit. That's what you have to say after we just barely squeaked out a controversial 1-point win against one of the very worst FBS teams? That we should come away celebrating and not feeling terrified by the abysmal level of play? Go away forever, you senile sack of poo poo. It's not enough to know that all signs are pointing to his departure. I need to hear the words from his mouth and I need to hear them now. To date all we've heard is that he loves what he's doing and we're actually really good and whatever's wrong he can fix it and he's staying until at least 2020 and the fans just need to be patient. gently caress that.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Thermos H Christ posted:

Ugh I just can't loving take that man any more. All my positive associations have been wiped away. Seeing his reaction to the ISU win (the press conference more than on the field) literally made me feel sick to my stomach. The dude wasn't putting on a face, he really was just pleased as punch with that outcome. Even going so far as to defend Mike Evans being a total shitlord. Taylor Gaspar reported on twitter that "Major Applewhite not happy about #Texas' offense. Mack Brown said he needs to get over it & never be angry after a win."

Jesus, Mack, no wonder this program has been run in to the ground given the utter lack of leadership you exhibit. That's what you have to say after we just barely squeaked out a controversial 1-point win against one of the very worst FBS teams? That we should come away celebrating and not feeling terrified by the abysmal level of play? Go away forever, you senile sack of poo poo. It's not enough to know that all signs are pointing to his departure. I need to hear the words from his mouth and I need to hear them now. To date all we've heard is that he loves what he's doing and we're actually really good and whatever's wrong he can fix it and he's staying until at least 2020 and the fans just need to be patient. gently caress that.

Bunch of rumblings from some sites and a few beat reporters about a resignation coming soon. I don't believe it yet, but this is the first I've heard of anything pertaining to an announcement.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
So how much longer does Jerry Kill have before he just hangs it up or the choice is made for him :stare:

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Hed posted:

So how much longer does Jerry Kill have before he just hangs it up or the choice is made for him :stare:

Firing Kill would probably result in an ADA lawsuit.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

buddhanc posted:

Bunch of rumblings from some sites and a few beat reporters about a resignation coming soon. I don't believe it yet, but this is the first I've heard of anything pertaining to an announcement.

I imagine the behind-the-scenes booster poo poo is rolling fast now

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Emanuel Collective posted:

Firing Kill would probably result in an ADA lawsuit.

Maybe they can draw up a buyout for the rest of his contract.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Declan MacManus posted:

Maybe they can draw up a buyout for the rest of his contract.

I'm sure they'll be willing to give him a fair shake so they can seize the chance to bring in someone new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
#3 on the year.

quote:

@ChrisVannini

Don Treadwell has been dismissed as head coach at Miami (Ohio).

• Locked thread