Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fosson posted:

The "fun" of it is the oh poo poo moment and finding some sort of cover...even if that cover is a small factory room and shared with a bunch of bandits taking cover with you. "Grenade soon stalkers!" :getin:
This can work out, actually. I remember once in CoP, an emission hit while I was at a neutral bandit camp, so all 20 or so of the bandits huddled into a small building that was the only nearby cover. Said building had a layout consisting of 1 tiny room with no cover and 1 somewhat larger room with a decent amount of cars and crates and such for cover. I had an upgraded SPAS-12.
I think you can guess what happened next. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Robot Randy posted:

In TFW is it possible to find a person who upgrades stuff outside your faction?
The guy at the neutral base in the Garbage will upgrade anything, but he charges really high prices. They might change with loner reputation, but I'm just guessing that.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is Radium going to have a ZoA-style magazine system? That was one of my favorite parts of that mod.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm kind of tempted to pick up a Steam copy of SoC just for convenience, but at $10 I don't think that's happening.

I hadn't played SoC in a while, and I really like how there's the whole plot line for the good ending that you can completely ignore and finish the game without anyway. Most games don't put that much effort into something you can skip, even if they really push you towards following it in the start.

E: What are those faction patches for in CoC? Do they really just sell for ~20ru/ea, or do you give them to someone in particular?
I'm not sure as far as CoC (presumably you're using a mod that adds em in since I've never seen those in base CoC), but I remember in The Faction Wars for Clear Sky they would sell for higher amounts to different faction traders depending on how much the trader's faction hated whatever faction's patch you sold to them.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elth posted:

lots of good ideas
Along these same lines, I feel like artifacts should have negative/neutral effects from just being carried in your bag based on effectiveness/price. If you wanna bring back that 20k ru artifact, you've got to deal with the vision blurring and horde of bloodsuckers attracted to you.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MadBimber posted:

I've never understood why FPSs don't take this approach basically immediately. Years ago I was looking at all the files in COD:MW2 and was baffled that every attachment combination was a different entitiy/file that had to be coded. Like, why would you do that? Why not one entity that receives modifications?
MW2 engine is still based off of idtech3 at the core, so I imagine that would be much harder to implement.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Helianthus Annuus posted:

i dont think so.. i guess i would try the duty or freedom merchants. maybe the bar man? i dont think sidorovich is gonna have them

you can save scum (quick save and quick load) in front of a merchant to refresh his inventory. try that a few times, and if it doesn't work after a few times, visit someone else
this is in call of misery but i got vendor upgrades from everyone after getting my personal rep high enough, not sure if it's a thing in base CoC tho

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm still going to be pessimistic and assume this game is going to suck like any other sequel to a 10+ year old game until we get a gameplay trailer, but i am happy that GSC and its employees are getting to work on a game series they love again

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Justin Credible posted:

Started this as loner on veteran, love the early game of STALKER. One of the first stashes I found and looked at had a SPAS 12. <10 minutes in. Held off on using it till I did a bandit assasination in Dark Valley and made it past garbage and back to the rookie village again, with a sawn off and 74su. Before I even made it back another stash I found had a Veles in it.

I think the progression is a bit fast, and while the economy is good and tight and rough so far having the ability so early to pull artifacts seems like it will be a tad strong for basically doing nothing in game so far.

Still my jam but it was a tad odd to pull good gear so early randomly like that. Both stashes were in the Cordon. Maybe I just got real lucky.
you didn't, i'm maybe like 3-4 hours in and i already have a f2000 and protecta and the money to get a good helmet to go with the bandit merc suit i got from main questline. found like 3 artifacts from random gen stashes too

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

moot the hopple posted:

I once got a contract to kill a Freedom dude but didn't feel like losing the faction rep by killing him myself so I squaded up with some Duty guys, including a captain carrying a PKM machinegun, brought them to the Army Warehouses, and watched from afar as they tore up my target and an entire Freedom checkpoint.
this is the best part of stalker imo, finding ways to bait people into each other so you can loot their corpses or leading chimeras/pseudogiants to population centers

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's their favorite color

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
SoC doesn't have detectors vanilla, unless the mod is supposed to add them