Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Captain von Trapp posted:

I was and am a little concerned about the risks of going from "creepy versions of fairy tales" to "live action Kingdom Hearts", but so far so good.

This show has always been lesbian Kingdom Hearts, just with no Final Fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I wholeheartedly agree with everybody saying Ursula isn't drag enough. I liked the actress just fine in that last scene with Rumple, but she really doesn't look right to me.

Was hoping Hook would die too, even though I actually enjoy the guy. The lesbian subtext between Emma and Regina has been cranked to 11 lately, what can I say?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Radish posted:

It still feels off to me. From our perspective we've seen Regina change over the course of so many seasons, but from her's, Regina was slaughtering entire villages including children and leaving them in mass graves purely out of spite a week ago. To just be told, "oh yeah that person is good now" while your former husband has fallen in love with that person and then be totally cool with it comes off less emotionally mature and more emotionless to me. I'm fine with her not being man dependent (coming to terms with Robin having moved on after her death and moving on herself) but I still think the scene with Regina was weird. It's an insane show with fantastical elements so how people would react is pretty hard to guage though so it's open to personal interpretation.

I wonder if the main reason it feels so off to you was her tremendous lack of screen time? I agree with the dude who says the conclusion she came to was good and mature, but I also agree it felt weird (for me) coming from a character with little to no development.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

STAC Goat posted:

Marion is obviously an underdeveloped character but it seems reasonable to believe that she's got basic observational and social skills and has spent the last few weeks hearing stories about Regina and seeing her place in Storybrooke. I think it was ok, really. She didn't just accept that Regina had changed. She fought it quite a bit and then Regina saved her life. Even then it took more heroics by Regina and time in Storybrooke for her to get to the point of that conversation. Assuming Marion is the strong and rational person she seems to be there had to be a point where she realized any entire town of people who were terrorized by the Evil Queen can't just be covering for her when they tell stories of how she's become a hero. It just so happens that that time is dictated by the winter finale, but outside of them making Marion a much bigger character I think it was going to feel the same anyway.

I think my weird feeling comes from just how long it felt like she was frozen. Maybe she spent all that time thinking.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Sober posted:

Also she is played by the best bitchiest character actor ever.

Thisthisthis. I don't care how they retcon the dragon slaying and that weird ghost/zombie that remained when Emma went down there in season two, I am just happy Pam is back. Also delighted with Cruella's casting, that lady was camp as gently caress on Dracula.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Pan Dulce posted:

Shot in the dark, as the show's on hiatus and the thread's probably dead now, but do any of you know a good episode to snatch a nice, clean screencap/shot of Henry's Once Upon a Time book? I have a family member who promised to make me an ipad cover with whatever I chose as the image in the front and I'd love to be lugging around that book. But all I can find on a quick google search is a pretty small image and a lot of slanted screencaps.

I don't know off the top of my head, but the book was featured most heavily in S1. I would just poke around in the first handful of episodes if I were you.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Macaluso posted:

Disney should pump millions into an animation budget for the show and then incorporate Kingdom Hearts into the timeline so no one can ever come close to figuring the story out

edit: If loving Ansem entered Storybrooke and worked with Rumple to find Kingdom Hearts to find their happy endings, and Regina & Co had to fight heartless I would literally die. I'd be so happy I'd die.

But the appeal of OUaT is how it basically is Kingdom Hearts, but without the dumb poo poo and characters they added after the first game, and lesbian tension instead of yaoi all day err day.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Troposphere posted:

But she's opened up to Regina, and, through trusting her heart now does joint magic spells in perfect unison with her, and is weirdly dead set on getting her her happy ending, and raises a child with her.... Just sayin :wink:

God I wish the network had the balls to let them turn the show into My Two Moms. Regina and Emma have a little too much chemistry.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Troposphere posted:

It'd be even more confusing for him because his birth mom would be dating his adopted mom who also happens to be his birth mom's mom's step mom

So many moms!!

I can only imagine what Snow's face would look like when Emma says she's boning Regina.

e: Didn't Regina also get boned by Rumple? I seem to recall him hooking up with like all of his students.

Poor Henry.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

foxatee posted:

They even made a point of mentioning it in the same episode.
"Hey, remember that girl Lily I talked about?"

"We're gonna name this baby Lilith... Or Lily for short, so the audience realizes they're the same person."

And that immediate cut to Emma when Mal says something like "someone must know her".

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

nelson posted:

I may be an oddball but I enjoyed this week better than last week. There was questing and a crime that needed solving and Arthur and Charming bonding and betrayal and green smoke taking a body away. What's not to like?

I enjoy Charming more than I should and the guy playing Arthur seemed seedy and paranoid before the 'villain' reveal, so I dug it. Hook and Emma scene was surprisingly well done imo and the rest of the episode had a silly quest and dumb but funny poo poo.

Biggest issue with the episode was lack of Regina. A horrible crime. The scene we did get with her seemed out of nowhere and was bad in a not funny way.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

John F Bennett posted:

What are you people talking about? This is classic OUAT. It's absolutely unhinged and weird and it's fantastic.

Other than the lack of Regina the past couple of episodes, I've been loving this so far.

People are way too picky about Lesbian Kingdom Hearts.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Troposphere posted:

I just don't give a gently caress about the Camelot characters they suck

I don't mind Arthur but everyone else is awful so he doesn't have much to work with. The girl playing Gwen is related to my roommate or something though, so don't tell her I said that.

She's sooooo bad.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

This was one of the best episodes in a while. Even the Henry stuff wasn't completely offensive, and even led to Emma doing the lowest of heart ganks so far which was both hilarious and I actually did not see coming. Hoping they just keep a good pace now that all the Arthur backstory is out of the way and Merlin is not a tree.

It was also so, so gay. Seriously just rename this poo poo My Two Moms already and give me that sweet Emma and Regina action please.

Merida stuff, I dunno I dig her but she's a cute redhead and I'm one of those people who have never seen Brave. Plus it's fun acknowledging what a slimy coward Rumple was before and making it a plot point for him once more after regaining his humanity is p ok by me. At least it's a less tenuous grasp for the Brave stuff than last year's 'oh I guess Elsa and Anna are related to the other Snow Queen who is actually important to the plot, and I guess Anna met Charming one time or something cause he knows fuckin everybody'.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

For all the adventuring Belle has done and the asses of how many characters she has randomly done, like so many flashbacks are just 'oh btw Belle knows this character too'. Like this girl has enough random encounters with whoever is important she's basically female Charming.

Belle drawing the sword from the stone would have been pretty legit. I was almost expecting it after Merlin kept giving her props and she went 'thanks for somebody finally noticing' or whatever. Then the whole flashback with Belle teaching Merida to be the hero, which I guess was really just setup for teaching Rumple to be the hero in a weird way in the present, but that part fell flat for me. Mostly because of the like snap of the fingers about face on Rumple now being 100% not a coward despite it being his main defining trait even as the Dark One.

I've been calling 'Merida will be the new lesbian for when Mulan shows up' since she showed up. If not her randomly being the gay it'll most certainly be Mulan and someone whenever she has her return arc. drat shame.

I guess the lesbian Kingdom Hearts analogy would stop working if they went with the obvious and most wanted choice for their gay storyline.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Pan Dulce posted:

Who knows for sure? Ruby's supposed to come back to team up with Merida and Mulan. It might be Ruby involved in the relationship. My God, I'm glad she's coming back. She's gorgeous. :allears:

I miss when Ruby was moderately relevant! Didn't realize she was coming back. Nice.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Sober posted:

It's weird because I know the actress left to try to star in another show, but that failed a while back so I'm curious why she's been gone/completely offscreen for most of the past 2 seasons. I saw her maybe like once or twice the past few seasons. So weird because she seemed to be more with the team than the dwarves for instance.

Yeah, weren't she and Snow super tight?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I've been enjoying this season thoroughly, the Arthur stuff especially. I really dig the paranoid and mad take they have on him, and it's been hitting more than missing for me since the premiere. This episode in particular. Great Emma stuff, too, and I liked Merlin's backstory and the origin of the Dark One. Already knew it would be her, but then I legit thought they killed her for like a half a second. So good job, Once.

Would be nice if they could keep up the brisk pace and momentum, but it's Once so I doubt it. All said they've been plowing through story at a pretty even clip this year.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I guess I'm just not overly picky with my weird Disney/Lost/Kingdom Hearts mashup. I mean the well meaning dude drove mad by prophecy or taking the wrong path without their mentor for whatever reason is such common fantasy stock that it works for me. I agree it's weaker than something like Pan was, but Once isn't something I've ever gone to for depth.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

^

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Andrew_1985 posted:

I love seeing all the random Storybrooke characters. They're always better than the drat Charmings.

Meanwhile, why hasn't Hook had crazy visions?

What's the second half of the season?

Something something suppressed memories.

I can buy Hook not having known or figured it out by virtue of holy gently caress, this show actually surprised me for once. I assumed we'd get some resolution by this point in either Rumple becoming Dark One again or Emma learning to make both sides of her magic work together.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Pan Dulce posted:

Seems so. They cast Megara too. Plus, Hook's father being cast and Cruella coming back for multiple episodes probably means Once Upon a Time is going to hell.

This all sounds excellent to me. The show is most entertaining when it goes full retard.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

^

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I never expected much actual evil out of Dark Swan, to be honest, maybe that's why I haven't been disappointed by it. Like not only is she the main character, she also has that whole 'Saviour with the most hella dope good magic potential' thing.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Sober posted:

Man I know how I and probably a lot of other people will complain that Hook/Emma or Rumple/Belle feels really milquetoast at times but drat when they start firing barbs at each other it is on point. This is not the first time either.

For sure. Digging Dark Hook so far too, I like the actor and character so it's nice when he has something to do. loving laughed at what their plan turned out to be. That nonsense + Hercules stuff should bring the comedy gold.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Argue posted:

then Regina does a kamehameha.

Take my money.

All of it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Blazing Ownager posted:

My girlfriend was convinced he was going to jump in at the last moment (completing his "be a hero arc") and take all the Dark Ones into HIM, not Hook, to save Hook; and in the process get unwillingly turned back into a Dark One to save everyone else; then somehow survive instead of dying as the plan was.

The sad thing is, that made too much sense and would have been easily accomplished. Someone could have still killed a character at the last second and then it'd be far less stupid. It'd gotten his powers back, completed his arc, and set him up with an actual conflict. And it'd restored him to not being pathetic.

I hate when shows have an obvious, easy solution staring them in the face then poo poo the bed.

I know, right? At the very least they could have had him pretend it was a noble, heroic sacrifice (tho I prefer it being one for legit) so while he's still tricking Belle or whatever at the very least she would know he's the DO again. Easy way to get his powers back without people being suspicious right away.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Henry definitely needs a newborn aunt or uncle to really complete his messed up family tree, imo.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Dazerbeams posted:

He already has baby uncle (named after his dead father) Neal, does he really need another?

Yeah but that one is from the most normal side of his family ... Which is saying a lot since that's the side with his grandparents the same age as his mother.

Also I forgot about Neal. Just like they did.

:(

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I would like a full season spent on whatever was happening at that birthday party

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Troposphere posted:

the casting for young snow is always so good

Yeah, the girl who has played Young Snow is really great. She was especially impressive in the early seasons when she was a little kid. She's super talented and has consistently done a spot on Ginnifer Goodwin.

Digging this back half a lot so far.

Happy Emma Caulfield is getting work.

e: Bailee Madison, that's the actress' name. She's always left a good impression whenever she pops up in movies and shows.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Mar 14, 2016

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The show balances the camp and fun really well with the not so good stuff, esp in later seasons when all the characters start poking fun at themselves and their convoluted history.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I unironically think True Blood did it best.

Up til Ball stopped running the show, anyway.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Pan Dulce posted:

Gifs because it was one of my favorite throw-away lines that episode.

So good.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

My Two Moms is an alternate title I use for this nearly as much as Lesbian Kingdom Hearts tbh

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I didn't even consider the underworld giving me a surprise Rachel Shelley.

ty based lesbian kingdom hearts

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I wonder if they'll save Milah somehow or just have this be Rachel Shelley's final appearance barring flashbacks. Like having her and Hook see eachother again and nothing come of it would be weird. She's been the biggest motivator for him for centuries.

I dunno if or how Rumple can ever come back from this season. Like if they try to push another redemption arc without it ending in him dead it would be too much even for Once imo.

Anyway this episode was fun and I thoroughly enjoy how dumb this entire season has been.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Troposphere posted:

lily sparks continues to be my favorite

One thing you and I can most certainly agree on.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's a weird year where I think I enjoyed this more than Game of Thrones last night.

Solid ep imho.

Happy for Cora tbh

e:

esperterra fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I mean imo they're pushing that love conquers all. It's just the majority of characters they push that on are all just villains now. Zelena has been on the road to a redemption arc for a while, she's too popular to not be Regina 2.0 in that regard imo. Cora has always been kind of flippy floppy on if she actually feels poo poo or not, also she has a heart now doesn't she? Her whole 'i'm hard af' deal was from her keeping her heart in a box so she couldn't feel or w/e. Now she's in hell w/ feelings. Idk. Works for me.

I mean Cruella is the most evil person on this show by virtue of her true love being murder. It's just ridiculous fun.

• Locked thread