Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

I totally forgot that you could do it with Stinger/IGLA. When I did it, they had been nerfed so badly — I had to do it with RPG and SRAW. Really though, that's how you should do it, son.

I got tired of chasing helicopters with my RPG after the first three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Leal posted:

So it seems its not tracked in real time, the credit was given to me after the match ended (I left the match early because my team was being extremely terribad)

Just need to get a few more guys that don't immediately crash their vehicle to get those AA mines
Yeah stats aren't tracked until the end of the game. That's when your XP boost gets added and your kill counts with each weapon are added up, that kinda stuff.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Azran posted:

Oh good, then I'll keep at it. I still have no idea how I will ever get the Marksman ribbons.

I can not even begin to tell you how much you do not want that gun. OCD aside it is literally the worst gun in the entire game and I would say the only gun that has no viable use other than as a gimmick.

Jungle maps + irnv + silencer is how I did mine. Camp near as you can to a objective that is likely to change hands a lot during the game and pick off flankers and small squads. It is at least some use to your team since your harassment of enemies on that point can help with actually winning while doing near no work.

While normally I would never recommend a silenced bolt action this is pretty much the only time it has appeal.

Did I mention just how much you do not want this gun? Just ask whales he got it recently.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

My favorite bolt action setup is G18 or M93R and whatever bolt action I wanna run with a 4x or 3.4x scope. Snipe bads when you are far away and then move inn and clean up with the pistol.

It worked better in BF3, but it still works in BF4.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Jumpoff posted:

I got tired of chasing helicopters with my RPG after the first three.

Stingers and IGLAs are too good not to use now anyways. I think the Stinger has higher damage, and I know that the player doesn't have to maintain the lock, but the near-600 meter lock on range of the IGLA can ruin the day of any scout helicopter pilot on any map outside of Flood Zone and Dawnbreaker. As long as you can find an ammo box at least.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
If you need ground to air kills do what I've been doing and play small pop conquest. Less people around to bother you.

Honestly small conquest redeemed this game for me. The matches tend to be closer and much more fair. The vehicles prevent getting chokepointed and spammed out of the game.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

I need Air Superiority ribbons and jet ribbons (and kills). I have found exactly 1 server running AS. It is almost always empty. Any chance we could goon rush it so I can cheese this poo poo and never have to fly again?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

WayAbvPar posted:

I need Air Superiority ribbons and jet ribbons (and kills). I have found exactly 1 server running AS. It is almost always empty. Any chance we could goon rush it so I can cheese this poo poo and never have to fly again?

Air superiority ribbons obviously have to be gotten in AS but jet ribbons are much easier to get in regular maps, if you can't get someone to die for you. Potentially the easiest way is to join Paracel Storm (or any of the Naval Strike maps), hope you can get the attack jet, hope there isn't someone really good in a jet on the other team, and then blow up attack boats.

Nateron
Mar 9, 2009

What spit?

WayAbvPar posted:

Have you looked at international settings (or whatever)? I completed mine by going to a German server and dominating (lag?) even tho I'm the wurst pilot.

I can always help cheese. Tho I think I left the goon group long ago after everyone left for Titanfall.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
ANy chance we could goon rush a chainlink server as well so I can get the MPX because I have yet to see a single chainlink server even when I gently caress around with search settings.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Make sure your settings allow you to see international, empty, and all sizes of servers. Chances are there will be a chainlink in there somewhere. I ultimately got mine in a random server with 2 people, both of whom were AFK and never spawned.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

The Jumpoff posted:

ANy chance we could goon rush a chainlink server as well so I can get the MPX because I have yet to see a single chainlink server even when I gently caress around with search settings.

I have a couple of chainlink assignments/medals left to get, so I am down. There is a hardcore chainlink server that runs occasionally, but I haven't seen a softcore one for awhile. Add me on Origin and look me up if you need an extra body.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Kibayasu posted:

Air superiority ribbons obviously have to be gotten in AS but jet ribbons are much easier to get in regular maps, if you can't get someone to die for you. Potentially the easiest way is to join Paracel Storm (or any of the Naval Strike maps), hope you can get the attack jet, hope there isn't someone really good in a jet on the other team, and then blow up attack boats.

If I could fly well enough to actually kill attack boats, I wouldn't be in this mess :negative:

I am getting a bit better, but still terrible. Managed a kill yesterday. The highlight of my flying career was ramming a pubbie who was flying a Little Bird and seeing him lose his loving mind in chat the rest of the round :awesome:

e- meant to edit my first post but doubleposted instead. Need more coffee.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011

WayAbvPar posted:

I have a couple of chainlink assignments/medals left to get, so I am down. There is a hardcore chainlink server that runs occasionally, but I haven't seen a softcore one for awhile. Add me on Origin and look me up if you need an extra body.

Cool, is your Origin name the same as your SA?

Also yesterday I managed two 100 meter marksman headshots in a row with the M40A5 so I think i used all my sniping ability for the week.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

WayAbvPar posted:

If I could fly well enough to actually kill attack boats, I wouldn't be in this mess :negative:

I am getting a bit better, but still terrible. Managed a kill yesterday. The highlight of my flying career was ramming a pubbie who was flying a Little Bird and seeing him lose his loving mind in chat the rest of the round :awesome:

I think the test range could be a lot more useful, but the way it is, it still allows you a solid opportunity to figure out how to properly fly the A-10 and kill boats. Practice on it and you'll figure it out. And moving boats in public matches are still slow enough that you can easily compensate and hit them with your 30mm just as well as a stationary target.

Land vehicles are still tough for me though, so I'm kinda useless at them unless they're already spotted, in which case I still only rarely kill one.

Work on the attack jets enough that you unlock the JDAM, I highly recommend it.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 22, 2016

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Leal posted:

So it seems its not tracked in real time, the credit was given to me after the match ended (I left the match early because my team was being extremely terribad)

Just need to get a few more guys that don't immediately crash their vehicle to get those AA mines

Any kind of updating that battlelog does happens at the end of round. That's when the server uploads player data to the main servers for BF4. Even if you quit early. Which makes community missions fun to track if you aren't counting in your head.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I'm gonna friend some of you for this chain link thing. I need the mpx so I can have all the pdws

Also need the unica, SW, and the Deagle

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011

Tasoth posted:

Any kind of updating that battlelog does happens at the end of round. That's when the server uploads player data to the main servers for BF4. Even if you quit early. Which makes community missions fun to track if you aren't counting in your head.

So if the server dies do you lose your stuff? Because that just happened to me and if it does that means I have to get Mobile AA stuff again.

verbal enema posted:

I'm gonna friend some of you for this chain link thing. I need the mpx so I can have all the pdws

Also need the unica, SW, and the Deagle

Cool, my origin name is vlashak.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Just don't forget to hop in mumble. We're always in one of the Battlefield-related channels, there's a general "Battlefield" category with various channels people hang out in depending on who was where when everybody else showed up. Don't hesitate just because we're in some weirdly named channel.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

WayAbvPar posted:

Attack boats are the easiest targets you're going to find. You can also just try to use the laser guided missiles that the attack jets start with, and practice with the gun here and there. Most people run active protection but all you need to do is fire one missile, break off as soon as you see the green light, turn around, and hit them with the other one. You can generally repeat this until the boat is dead since boats can't really get into cover and laser guided missiles recharge fast enough that you should always have at least one by the time you turn around.

Edit: Oh, and unless you're using a controller or something go to controls and bind Pitch Up to a button (I use spacebar). This ensures you're always making the tightest turn you can given your roll and speed.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

WayAbvPar posted:

Add dillbag666 and pm me if you see me online if you need air kills, happy to martyr myself for goonsquad.

wtfd00d
Feb 21, 2002

The Original What The Fucker
please add "wtfd00d" to the squad thanks

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

The Jumpoff posted:

Cool, is your Origin name the same as your SA?

Also yesterday I managed two 100 meter marksman headshots in a row with the M40A5 so I think i used all my sniping ability for the week.

Are you using v to adjust the zeroing range? I didn't know about it for quite a while, and once I realized how it worked I started headshotting the poo poo out of people. Hit one for 471 yesterday that was basically a snapshot. I am sure the guy thought I was hacking.

Also yes- Origin name is same as here.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011

WayAbvPar posted:

Are you using v to adjust the zeroing range? I didn't know about it for quite a while, and once I realized how it worked I started headshotting the poo poo out of people. Hit one for 471 yesterday that was basically a snapshot. I am sure the guy thought I was hacking.

Also yes- Origin name is same as here.

It was on TDM so the need to zero wasn't huge. Thanks for reminding me about it. The main thing is i'm absolutely garbage at estimating distance in this game, which explains why i prefer cqc fights where my biggest thought process is "place crosshair on enemy".

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

WayAbvPar posted:

The problem with the two or so Air Superiority servers that exist is that they are run by airspergs, so the second they become populated, they join and kill everyone trying to get those stupid assignments and learn how to use jets, which immediately depopulates the server.

Basically gently caress jets in Battlefield games. Bad Company 2 and 2142 didn't have them and were better for it.

Concordat fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 23, 2016

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Concordat posted:

Bad Company 2 and 2142 didn't have them and were better for it.

I can't agree more with this. The perfect Battlefield would have no planes, and the only way to get a sniper rifle would be to pick up a kit off the ground.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

The Jumpoff posted:

It was on TDM so the need to zero wasn't huge. Thanks for reminding me about it. The main thing is i'm absolutely garbage at estimating distance in this game, which explains why i prefer cqc fights where my biggest thought process is "place crosshair on enemy".

Find the nearest point close to the enemy and use this as a base estimate of range. The farther off they are, or the higher above it they are, adjust. Because of this I got 4 1.1km headshots last night on river valley map from DLC 1.

Node posted:

I can't agree more with this. The perfect Battlefield would have no planes, and the only way to get a sniper rifle would be to pick up a kit off the ground.

I like how CoD and MAG (yes, boo-hiss) handled them. Leave them as a squad level resource that squad leaders can call him. Have it result in massive bombing runs or a lingering tank hunter roving over an area of the map.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The problem isn't jets the problem is that it seems DICE can't go a single main Battlefield [X] game without making some form of them completely overpowered or unbalanced. BF2 had its jets. BF3 had rocket pods and ineffective MAA's. In BF4 you have things like maps with a single MAA, maps with jets but no MAA, or introducing scatter to the MAA guns while keeping the attack jet gun just as accurate as it always was. Though I guess the worst offender in BF4 is ironically a helicopter that DICE just insisted on giving the ability to repair in mid-air, despite the recent patch showing they would have the ability to restrict the repair tool.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 23, 2016

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Jets are have dumb laser guns but I mostly hate them because I'm only killed by them when they decided to go dirtbike/ ATV hunting and I'm covered in c4 and slams

loving jerks go away I'm having fun your having fun too but it directly gets in the way of mine so you should stop

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
I guess i don't really have a problem with jets since i didn't play bf3 that much. BC2 and this game have made me hate attack helicopters with a fiery passion, even though i know they're balanced and i'm just horrible at flying them.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

The Jumpoff posted:

I guess i don't really have a problem with jets since i didn't play bf3 that much. BC2 and this game have made me hate attack helicopters with a fiery passion, even though i know they're balanced and i'm just horrible at flying them.

Jets occupied a weird space in bf3 with them only really being effective on like 3 maps. But if you were on one of these three kharg island, Caspian and whatever the name of the old firestorm was. Pretty much all the other maps were dominated by the attack chopper, especially before the below radar nerf. If I remember correctly kharg also had the honor of being the only map with the c-ram in a useful location.(and it was tardedly op on that one map lol)

Anyone who was collecting all the medals when the game first came out got to feel the c-ram placement pain. It was for the first 3/4's of the year the only thing that counted for time and kills in emplaced weapons. gently caress that medal.

xyigx fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 23, 2016

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
What's the lock on battle pickup? The HVM - II?

That thing sucks

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

verbal enema posted:

That thing sucks

It was nerfed last patch. Too many people complained about it being able to shoot down air vehicles and be a threat to tanks. It now does about as much damage as the JAV, even though it fires three warheads.

I really hope Danger Close is kept out of BF5.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

verbal enema posted:

That thing sucks

It used to be called the god launcher before its downfall. It could kill literally any vehicle with one set of rockets. As was said the last patch killed that thing dead. It was probably a bit op but it was a really good way to tell any vehicle to gently caress off for a while. The highest health a vehicle would be left with was the ammtrac and it left that thing with 10% and burning.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Should have kept its ability to one-shot aircraft, since the actual thing is supposed to be an AA launcher.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Another night of being terrible. I just want to at least have a 1.0 ratio, not 0.2 or whatever godawful number it is right now. I can't figure out what is different about BF4 than previous Battlefields, where I would regularly get a 2.0 or better ratio every map.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Node posted:

Another night of being terrible. I just want to at least have a 1.0 ratio, not 0.2 or whatever godawful number it is right now. I can't figure out what is different about BF4 than previous Battlefields, where I would regularly get a 2.0 or better ratio every map.

Are you playing with goons or at least competent pubbies? Your ability to kill and not be killed depends whether or not your pubbies can stop that one guy from running behind your line and killing everyone.

Really, I think we should invade 24/7 locker servers because you can utterly gently caress the enemy so hard just taking the snow and getting the enemy from behind.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Leal posted:

Are you playing with goons or at least competent pubbies? Your ability to kill and not be killed depends whether or not your pubbies can stop that one guy from running behind your line and killing everyone.

Really, I think we should invade 24/7 locker servers because you can utterly gently caress the enemy so hard just taking the snow and getting the enemy from behind.

I'm just playing on random servers that are 48 or 64 population. I didn't know there was even a goon presence still. Is there a group I can join or something?

Burreeto Burreyeto
Aug 28, 2009

I'm a gay zebra.

Node posted:

I'm just playing on random servers that are 48 or 64 population. I didn't know there was even a goon presence still. Is there a group I can join or something?

Here's the thread with the CTS Mumble info. There's a Battlefield channel in there, though sometimes if people are in the General Chat channel we may be playing other games. Never hesitate to ask what's going on. Also, apply to some goon platoons like 10Bux or Hank. Also, never forget The Father Figures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Finally got onto an Air Superiority server and got my goddamned ribbon. Still need jet ribbons and kills, but those can conceivably be obtained on regular maps (likely by someone who can fly better than I can). I still think we should goon rush an AS server and get everyone 3 jet ribbons and 20 jet kills. Daddy needs a UCAV.

• Locked thread