Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Lazyfire posted:

Good to see that we still have what it takes to win Battlefield games without doing anything besides typing in chat.

I dunno if I'll go back to the game anytime soon, but I do really really miss being a dipshit in BF4 chat in a way that I don't get in any other game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

James The 1st posted:

Yes. You can wait for Premium to go on sale and get it all for $20, which it does with some frequency.

There's an origin sale right now, code "ORIGIN30" for 30% off on everything.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Fame Douglas posted:

There's an origin sale right now, code "ORIGIN30" for 30% off on everything.

sup with that av

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I unlocked the SKS, and it turns out one of my battlepacks gave it the 2x FLIR so I gave it a go. It turns out I'm horrible at it. Is the FLIR a bad idea for a DMR?

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Node posted:

I unlocked the SKS, and it turns out one of my battlepacks gave it the 2x FLIR so I gave it a go. It turns out I'm horrible at it. Is the FLIR a bad idea for a DMR?

Nope it's just the sks has trades accuracy for fire rate. Flir on dmrs is great since it keeps you within the effective range. Its just the sks is a spam dmr so you have to play it that way. Slap on a bunch of recoil reduction poo poo and pish pish pish pish your heart out.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
The problem with the FLIR is that on paper, it is the ideal scope.... but in actual gameplay it has problems not evident just from looking at the stats. The actual attachment is big and can obscure your vision a bit when holding / moving around with it, and the actual ADS view is very narrow - it gives you a pretty tiny window of enhanced view and leaves you totally blind outside of it. And, since the scope literally highlights every enemy it sees as a giant glowing white target, the temptation is often to zoom it constantly and use it to spot things... but again, this gives you a nasty case of tunnel vision which can get you killed a lot. And let's of course not forget that if anyone points a laser-equipped weapon at you, you're pretty well done.

I mean, if the FLIR works for you, then great. But in my experience it's just not practical.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
FLIR is the only scope I use. Even on the 240B its amazing.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

SERPUS posted:

FLIR is the only scope I use. Even on the 240B its amazing.

everything on the 240b is good its good

really good

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Put a flir on my spas/870 and never looked back and neither should you

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Hm. I must have an issue with the SKS then. Which is a shame since everyone creams over it.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Node posted:

Hm. I must have an issue with the SKS then. Which is a shame since everyone creams over it.

The SKS isn't a DMR. It's a really big FN57. If you're having issues with it, get closer and spam M1.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Node posted:

Nah I hate it, only dmr I kinda like is the bullpup. It is all about your play style, some people are just not dmr/bolt action/box fed lmg people. Just play with guns that are fun to you. Describe your play style and people will have suggestions. This far into the games life it's not worth using a gun you hate.

∆∆∆∆ that to.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Anyone can spam a DMR at close quarters, actually consistently landing shots at a good distance requires some self control and practice.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
The only DMR I need is a scoped .44

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

I've been using the Mare's Leg as an astoundingly lovely DMR and occasionally getting kills with it.

I can't say I've ever been killed with it outside of pistol-only servers, so I wonder how surprising that is.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Robot Randy posted:

The only DMR I need is a scoped .44

Same scoped 44 forever (unless I have a bolt action rifle for some unknown reason)

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Late night BF is loving atrocious. For so many reasons.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

I found it, the one thing worse than 25% EXP boosts.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Is there a way of creating a toggle or bind for "networkperfoverlay.drawgraph 0/1"?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Hexenritter posted:

Is there a way of creating a toggle or bind for "networkperfoverlay.drawgraph 0/1"?

Yeah just put it in a user.cgf

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Sandweed posted:

Yeah just put it in a user.cgf

So I could bind it to something superfluous like NUMPADENTER or something?

Right now it's in an autoloading user.cfg but the graph is enormous. Is there a way to shrink it down?

Also Windows 10 really does like slapping you with 2000ms lag spikes out of nowhere.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 5, 2016

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I managed to get an Air Superiority ribbon. I learned during that time that I am hopeless at jets, I'll never get a Jet Fighter ribbon killing other aircraft. Is there a way, with no unlocks, using the attack jet to get 5 kills in a round? I'm willing to be as absolutely cheap and cheesy as it takes.

I want my flying jihad drone.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Node posted:

I managed to get an Air Superiority ribbon. I learned during that time that I am hopeless at jets, I'll never get a Jet Fighter ribbon killing other aircraft. Is there a way, with no unlocks, using the attack jet to get 5 kills in a round? I'm willing to be as absolutely cheap and cheesy as it takes.

I want my flying jihad drone.

Yup, slow strafe mcrhibs all round on any map with a attack jet and a lot of water. Once you unlock laser guided basicly the same just with rockets.

Orrrrrrr cheese the gently caress out of it like I did and land a jet and get goons to jump in front of you, 2 targets + 1 medic gets you a kill every five seconds. I did go back and learn to jet(badly) and helicopters later but that is what I did to get mine.

CTS helps with these things.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

xyigx posted:

Yup, slow strafe mcrhibs all round on any map with a attack jet and a lot of water. Once you unlock laser guided basicly the same just with rockets.

Orrrrrrr cheese the gently caress out of it like I did and land a jet and get goons to jump in front of you, 2 targets + 1 medic gets you a kill every five seconds. I did go back and learn to jet(badly) and helicopters later but that is what I did to get mine.

Are there any maps like that besides Paracel? And what is CTS, and can it summon me three patient goons willing to let me shoot them a lot?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I thought attack jets started with laser guided missiles unlocked?

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Node posted:

Are there any maps like that besides Paracel? And what is CTS, and can it summon me three patient goons willing to let me shoot them a lot?

CTS is the mumble.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

xyigx posted:

I heavily recommend cheesing it if you're just after the unlock because you will die to full spectrum skylords from above and people like Chronojam will utterly ruin your afternoon from the ground.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
man remember how much better BF3's levolution stuff was

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Node posted:

Lanking dam, the resort map, all of naval strike. Cts is mumble and it is amazing for summoning goons. Caspian is fun if your team is dominating, then you can just drive the jet down the road and get dumb kills.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012
Chrono get with me, I want to shoot some mans but for a reason can only really be a gunner for someone right now.

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010
Looks like some new BF1 concept art hit the web. Pretty neat stuff.

http://www.indier.com/topic/6969

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

atomicthumbs posted:

man remember how much better BF3's levolution stuff was

BF4 is such a better game, moment to moment, but by god I miss those paris maps. They had an atmosphere 4 just doesn't have.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Bob Wins posted:

:circlefap:

Can't wait to see some gameplay on Sunday.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Bob Wins posted:

Hyped. I hope they carry over the he billowy trench coats in game.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
We're getting a new trailer on the 12th, in addition to the multiplayer event stream. Here's a teaser:

https://twitter.com/Battlefield/status/739896871976472576

And Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plnm6kJ1Tk8

EDIT:

They've also started putting material up on the Battlefield 1 website, including a "weapons" page with some new info/marketing:

quote:

Darkness429: Will the Gadgets feel familiar to Battlefield players?

Julian Schimek: Our Gadgets may look different, but you'll feel right at home with them. World War I drove innovation, which resulted not only in things like tanks and armor-piercing rounds, but also in the sorts of medical and scouting gadgets that revolutionized the next century of war.

Darkness429: Are there any ways to customize my weapons?

Julian Schimek: Most weapons will allow you to equip bayonets or alter their handling, as well as changing your weapons sights’ magnification. We also have amazing weapon skins, which we'll talk more about in the coming months.

Darkness429: How will long-range weapons like sniper rifles feel?

Julian Schimek: The way they work will feel familiar to players who enjoy playing the sniper role in Battlefield games, but they aren't exactly the same. The biggest change is that you will actually be the most effective when you stay at the right distance to your target. It's not all about being as far away as possible. You'll want to make sure you're not too close, but also not too far away.

quote:

There are six categories of weapons.
There are your Shotguns (great for blasting enemies from up close), SMGs (made for short range rapid-fire), LMGs (amazing at tearing things apart from medium range), Semi Autos (balanced and powerful), Sidearms (great in a pinch), and Sniper Rifles (which do exactly what you think).

[...]

Weapon customization is more focused.
We definitely want to allow you to customize your weapons in Battlefield 1, but we also heard your feedback that we should try to find a way to do this without adding hundreds of additional attachments. That's why Battlefield 1 utilizes pre-set Loadouts for each weapon - you're still able to customize your weapons to make sure they work with your playstyle, but in a more focused way.

Each weapon has up to three Pre-Sets.
Maybe you want a shotgun that packs a little more punch? Or maybe you'd rather one that trades stability for accuracy? The different weapon Pre-Sets should help you out. Some have up to three, giving you different ways to play with the same weapons. You're able to customize them as well, changing the zoom levels, reticles, and more.

There are multiple types of melee weapons.
Getting up-close and personal was an important part of The Great War, and while you have plenty of options if you'd rather keep your distance, you'll also be able to use different types of melee weapons, each with their own attack speeds and damage outputs. Some even double as tools – giving you the ability to cut barbed wire, destroy barricades, or even damage light vehicles.

You'll be able to perform bayonet charges.
Being able to close the gap between you and your enemy is important, especially when you're going for a melee kill. Attaching a Bayonet to the end of your gun helps make that a little easier, letting you charge at your enemies. Make contact, and they're on the fast track to the graveyard.

Frags aren't the only grenade types.
Besides being able to toss traditional fragmentation grenades, you'll also be able to use gas grenades (low damage, but their gas lingers for a long time), incendiary grenades (high damage, but for a limited time), and more. Using the right one at the right time can be the difference between life and death.

The audio fidelity is top notch.
DICE is known for delivering some of the best audio quality in gaming, and we're not going to disappoint with the weapon sounds in Battlefield 1. From the BANG of a shotgun to the CLINK of an empty click, we recorded a huge amount of real-world audio to use in the game. You can even tell when your magazine is running out of ammo now - your firing sound slightly changes when your ammo is low.

More here.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 6, 2016

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Alehkhs posted:

Make contact, and they're on the fast track to the graveyard.

Unless they press F the second they lose control of their character and they'll flip the gun around on you and bayonet charge YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I think the most interesting thing they have there is the fact that the weapons are going to be done in pre-set loadouts. I think that's probably going to work just fine in the end because it sounds like there are relatively few attachments available that aren't scopes (I'm thinking grips, stocks and the like), but it's treading a dangerous line with the morons who obsess over how many unlocks there are in a game and such. Titanfall tried to kill the insane number of unlocks in the game and one of the things people bashed it for was having so little to show for playing over the long term...due to the lower number of unlocks in the face of a CoD game. Granted, BF4 got hit because of the battlepack system and the large number of functionally identical attachments.

It's also an interesting choice from the balance perspective. There was a time in BF4 where there were just optimal weapon attachment combos that would poo poo on other concepts due to the high level of accuracy or the ability to hit shots while hipfiring reliably. I don't doubt there will be best class weapons in the least, but when you have a set number of loadouts to balance instead of a dozen or so combinations it seems like DICE won't have to consider how, say, a stubby grip works and what it does to every single gun when they can just adjust the stats of the loadouts like they were individual weapons instead, no need to test each gun when you can just raise or lower stats until they work for that weapon in the overall scheme of things.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I think some of the individual unlocks would have been too overpowered if you could just run them with any setup. Ze Germans have elite units k98s with 20 round magazines. It's something that would be cool to be in the game but if you could attach it to a rifle with a bayonet and a 4x optic then it might be a bit to much. The deep mag is too good at mid rang, optic at long and bayonet up close. None of them are a big deal on their own but if you put them all together it starts sounding a little too good. I'm interested in seeing how it plays out. They did say that there would be customization within the presets though so I don't think that it's going to sacrifice too much depth.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

ShineDog posted:

BF4 is such a better game, moment to moment, but by god I miss those paris maps. They had an atmosphere 4 just doesn't have.

Looking at BF3 hurts my eyes. Everything is just so blurry, blue, high contrast, and washed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Disturbingly large focus on automatics, are bolt actions seriously limited to sniper rifles instead of as a standard issue infantry weapon? :psyduck:

• Locked thread