Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The person who screams the loudest over their mic wins knife fights. Make recordings and use them for death screams in the next game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The campaign is hilariously bad even compared to BF3's campaign. The only plus is its piss easy even on hard.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The first sniper rifle you get is so hilariously bad unless you're getting constant headshots. They really don't want you actually sniping in this game.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I really miss BF3's stabbing style, the whole fighting mechanic is iffy with the netcode at the moment and the invincibility frames when people are stabbing is annoying.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Hopper posted:

Does anyone run this game with a Core i5 4570 and a Hd7870?
I plan to upgrade to that config. Will I decent fps on say Medium settings?

You can run it on High or Ultra at 1920x1080 without any real issues with that configuration.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Siege of Shanghai TDM is pretty funny because absolutely nobody expects you to follow the river out of bounds to get behind them. My squad wiped out half the enemy team doing that.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Ark posted:

Anyone losing progression even though there's no server or game crash? I was playing a couple rounds, first one I ticked over to level 13, but as I loaded up the next map it stated I was level 12. I've noticed this quite a few times now.

Happens to me all the time unfortunately. It's like Battlelog isn't getting some of the ribbons/unlocks that you report to it correctly.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Sappo569 posted:

Why is it anytime a new game comes out, everyone acts like its the reincarnation of :hitler:

:10bux: says Ghosts will be a buggy mess at launch, but everyone will make up some excuse why it's O.K

And for what it's worth, I've had quite a few crashes in MP, but still its been twice as stable as other MP games in the last few years I've played.

SP was a snooze fest, but relatively bug free, aside from some weird issues where the game allowed me into the level before it was loaded properly. Had to restart that mission over again

I don't see how ghosts could be super buggy, it's on the same game engine as the last half dozen games.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Having grappling hooks and parachutes would make this an amazing JC2 mp style experience.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Sputty posted:

What DX fix? I'm on the latest beta drivers and crashing every other round at best

Go into your BF4 installation folder, find DXsetup and run that. Apparently the game installer doesn't install the specific DirectX version that the game runs best on.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

I've been trying to complete the campaign but it crashed on me and now whenever I try to resume the cut scene plays then crashes??? >:(

That happened to me on the prison level. You'll have to restart that entire level.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Take vehicles or yourself, sit in objective radius, conquer objective. Spam Q at every opportunity to spot dudes. That's pretty much the cliff-notes on how to play the most popular game mode, Conquest.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Reviving has really taken a turn for the worse in this game, the timer is usually way to short for you to do anything but make a 50 foot dash to the dead guy and its really finicky about where you shock him. I don't remember BF3 being this bad, it was more a case of wave your defibs in his general direction and shock.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The absolute worst thing is when you spawn on a squad member directly into people shooting him or to somebody knifing the whole bunch of you. I can understand wanting to have squad members be able to jump into vehicles under fire but it's a bit absurd on foot when you spawn and immediately get mowed down with a rocket to the face.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Jerkface posted:

Is the starting sniper rifle a real piece of poo poo compared to the unlocks? I think I've heard this, but it seems fairly inaccurate for a sniper. Sniping with it compared to any of the BF3 snipers has been a challenge.

You really need a better sight than the default one. I find I'm missing headshots by a good 6 inches unless I use a higher powered one.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

General Battuta posted:

You need higher power than a 14x sight?

The default is 6x I believe.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
It's absolutely hilarious in TDM when you completely lock off the upper ground. Set a beacon, and laugh as your squad snipes the utter poo poo out of the enemy team. Even when the squad I was leading didn't get a lot of kills it still worked out because it drew the entire enemy team into a countersnipe match.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I've been using the MP443 as my sidearm and it is a beast. I don't think it does much more damage than the other 9x19mm pistols but it does the job for me.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Liberatore posted:

Different coders. AA is coded primarily by one guy who's notoriously good at what he does, and has been around for years. Aimjunkies shuffle coders around a lot and in many cases, individual games have individual coders. Sometimes they're good, sometimes they're not. But regardless, the website hasn't had a good track record, particularly with new releases. DC is just a matter of sheer incompetence.

Yeah, Helios (the guy who codes for AA) has been around for a decade if not more. I remember having to deal with his hacks when I was running a UT2004 server way back in late 04/early 05.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

If it comes from pbbans I'm pretty sure.

PBBans will broadcast on all their servers when somebody gets banned, yeah.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

wuat posted:

The only thing the criminal justice system cares about is intellectual thievery because of how archaic everything is, an example of this is glider copying WoW into different memory space in order to avoid the anti cheat. The way most hacks work are they're injected into the game, get pointers to objects and poo poo already in the game, and use/abuse them to their benefit. There's not really anything you can sue them for doing, as they aren't stealing your IP they're simply modifying it to their own purposes, which is completely legal, at least for now.

Technically it's reverse engineering which is court approved all the way back to the 80s. I think the relevant case involved copy protection for one of Segas consoles.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_v._Accolade

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Sputty posted:

I joined a server and something noticeable must've happened because there were like 10 or so people getting kicked for PB bans. It was pretty funny, though, because those people would've got in the server a week ago probably.

If they're through PBBans those are global, not just on that server.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Tracula posted:

Maybe it's just confirmation bias but I feel like a significant amount of my deaths come from snipers who got to their favorite spot and just sit there the entire game, padding the poo poo out of their K/D to increase the size of the e-peen.

The great thing about TDM now is that because levels are so closed off and there's ways to block areas off (the roofs on Zavod with hatches, the crane and radio tower on the Arecibo level, the roof on the dam level, the roof on Shanghai)) you can claim the upper ground, set up a beacon, and never be dislodged from it. Two of them can be reached only via long ladder climbs and the other two can be blocked off entirely (closing hatches on Zavod) or halfway (Shanghai you can blow up all the glass, making it impossible to traverse to the other side.) If your team is in any way competent you can have one squad laying down fire from above and these rest of them cleaning up on the ground. The spotting ability alone goes a long way towards helping your team win.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

ChronoReverse posted:

I'm going to master the Airburst eventually and wreck all the snipers.

It won't work because you can hide beacons in areas that can't ever be hit short of a mortar. You can kill the snipers, yeah, but they'll just spawn back up there and mess with your day.

Side note, the little motion sensor balls? Awesome tools. I wish you could get more of them because they really help with scouting.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

washow posted:

How do you carry anything other than c4? Support with c4 is the ultimate soldier. Nothing can stop him because with c4, you can destroy everything

C4 would be great if you still had 6 sticks of it like you did in BF3. But you don't, that's only unlocked as part of the squad bonus system.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
It could be worse, Red Orchestra 2 had your soldiers scream at the top of your lungs when you were getting ready to bayonet someone.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Load times are absurd for some levels. I can't tell whether the server has shat itself or if there's some error in the level itself.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Knifing is really really broken. I played on a pistols server and sinking 6 shots of .44 into a guy in the knifing animation and having it do nothing is absurd.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Was BF3 really not that well received for the singleplayer campaign? I played through it and it was about on par with pretty much any COD campaign. BF4's by comparison is a godawful mess.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Der Shovel posted:

Boy, I wish. I have successfully completed 2/10 rounds. The rest of the time either the server crashes or my game just freezes with the sound looping. I've quite liked what I've played but man.

Are you playing on onboard audio and 64 player servers? Because I've heard there's issues with Realtek drivers acting up. I have an Asus Xonar and I've been hit by sound looping freezes maybe 2/3 times. The game usually either crashes entirely or hangs during level loads.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I still find it absolutely hilarious that the game basically goes "pfft you didn't earn those" should you get a level up from end of round ribbons.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The bug where you're stuck on the defib choice is annoying as all loving hell. Even if you die or switch teams you can't get out of it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Squad DM is even more fun than BF3's version. Probably because the maps with vehicles in them aren't around.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

afkmacro posted:

I don't feel like sperging out and getting the 500 kill dogtags for every weapon like I did in bf3 so can someone who's decent at infantry shenanigans recommend me a best in class AR, LMG, PDW, carbine and shotgun? I've been using the starter weapons so far and they're pretty decent but not really exceptional. I'm too lazy to analyze symthic's data or to play enough rounds with each to unlock the necessary attachments.

416 is one of the best in AR, LSAT is the best (somewhat early) LMG, the P90 is a decent PDW, the AK5C and SG553 are vying for the carbine title and shotguns are sorta eh so that's up in the air.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
For sidearms if you're going for the Compact 45 be aware that the 15 round magazine is a typo. The gun holds 11. The .44 magnum is a guaranteed 2 kill gun from any health on any body part.

Also, the fact that absolutely no guns seem to have extended mags is a giant pain in the rear end.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

ChronoReverse posted:

The M249 carries 200 bullets. Do you really need an extended mag for that?

For handguns and some of the lower mag size ARs/PDWs it'd be nice. I ran almost exclusively with an AS VAL with extended mag in BF3.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Dvsilverwing posted:

Personally I think the starting LMG is the best LMG until you get the RPK-12. Best Carbine in my opinion is the AKU-12 or Ace 52 CQB, my favorite AR was the QBZ but everyone else just uses the M416 so I assume it's better. No other weapons classes matter to me so I can't give an opinion on them.

The starting LMG is accurate as all hell but has a very small magazine size compared to the other one you get at the start (M249). Most maps you'll need the extra ammo rather than accuracy.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

ElProducto posted:

The amount of information going back and forth to servers between BF4 and Quake 3 is massive, there's no comparing them.

UT2004 probably has similar amounts of info.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

I played the first 2 missions of the campaign, and Irish standing on the front of the boat yelling for people to follow him is :911: as hell.

But yeah wow the Rex sucks rear end even in single player, holy poo poo.

The revolvers are absolutely crippled by the fact that you can't fire them anywhere near as rapidly as any other gun (other than bolt action rifles). The Rex feels like you're adopting a dueling stance before firing half the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Smegmatron posted:

The CZ75 should be the most well rounded pistol, but they've managed to make it poo poo at everything instead of just OK at everything.

The CZ75 is .40 SW right? It's amazing how lovely they made that gun. Dead still from a crouch at a standing target at 25 meters and slow aimed shots don't hit more than twice.

• Locked thread