Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm going to have to get used to all these new gun names, feels like I'm playing arma 3 but they are all real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah you need to slap some filters on.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

404notfound posted:

Yeah, but I thought you could preload the open beta already. Or is the OP wrong?

gently caress.

Go through battle log to the bf4 forums there is a sticky thread about it not showing up in my games.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Just looking through the wiki at the new guns, this one sounds pretty cool.

http://battlefield.wikia.com/wiki/338_Recon

Like a bull pup sniper rifle? With whizz balls it sounds like it could be a fun load out for close/medium range?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Sire Oblivion posted:

I'm running into the same thing, I'm fondly recalling why I don't bother with Origin. I bet I'm going to have two charges on me card because I tried it twice. Welp.

Some one was talking about this in the last thread. You have to check some box or press some button to "update" your purchase (off the top of my head)?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Athropos posted:

This game was really not necesary. I don't even understand why it was made beyond the money argument. There's only a handful of new things and it's basically the same engine with some tweaks, just a big expansion. And obviously it uses the same modern setting too. I love multiplayer FPSes and I loved BF3 but I'm really not hyped at all for this thing.

Maybe it will blow me away, who knows.

Like most multi player fps it all comes down to how it plays (map design/shooting/movement etc).

We should know more in about 20 mins.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Zeike posted:

Its on!
Time to spray

I'm loading in!

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Right well this certainly is a bf game.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I get about 30 fps max with every thing on low, wasn't expecting that at all. I know it's just the beta and every thing but yeah.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Lugaloco posted:

How do you measure your FPS ingame?

Press the key above tab then type PerfOverlay.DrawFps 1

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

RBX posted:

Don't tell people to install those beta drivers because for a lot of us it has done jack poo poo. I just rolled back to the last official and testing them.

The 327.23 ones? Please tell me how it goes for you and what series your card is. Thanks.

e - Seems like every one is trying and nvidia's driver download server is getting smashed.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 1, 2013

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Admiral Snuggles posted:

Plays like clunky BF3. :(

I understand the clunkyness as it's a beta but I pretty much agree. I think the map is ok but I will be sick of it after 2-3 weeks. I hope they release another map soon.

I totally agree about the tower it should have some sort of timer before it can be knocked down, it pretty much cuts performance by 50% with the annoying dust fx.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Riflen posted:

Is it worth it? People will still just jump in at page 20 and ask the same dumb poo poo.

I'd say it was. Just have an FAQ section at the bottom, only takes 2 seconds to copy/paste.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

KM Scorchio posted:

Any word about when the open beta can be downloaded? Didn't know if there was pre-loading going on with it like with the exclusive beta and can't find any mention anywhere.

Did you try the official forums?

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2955065209636056251/

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Nothing spectacular here but I thought I'd post this vid for any lurkers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyJBrB4AY88

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr7pXRFT1fc

Jippa fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Oct 3, 2013

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I only figured out last night that the browser is totally borked and I should actually be un checking the map box? For some reason I could only find domination servers?

So I finally got to play the large version of conquest and it's awesome. Feels like you can have small scale battles on each part of the map while in the distance crazy poo poo is going down. Kind of how how ps2 was supposed to be.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It was 9am UK for me on the 1st (too play). So possibly the same tomorrow?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

bronin posted:

Jesus, this runs like rear end. I'm running low settings and barely get more than 60fps whereas in BF3 I ran ultra with no problems. I wonder how much optimizing they actually can do between now and release.

Lots by the sound of it.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Levelcap made a good point about rooftops. If you watch his video from pre release (I forget exactly which one) the remote mortar is brutal (he reckoned it was seriously OP).

Even if it's toned down, rooftop campers will get blasted by it. It's just a combination of people not knowing the maps well and not all of the weapons being unlocked.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

The reason the beta is such an old build is because of certification. I actually feel they will lose purchases because the performance is so poor, and most people can't envision such a performance bump in less than a month.

I actually remember saying this during the last beta.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It's pretty loving impressive that it works at all on a 360 isn't it? Do they just have the domination size maps?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Xaris posted:

That's awesome. BF3 was retardedly lovely in that regard and I'm glad they learned from their mistakes. Unfortunately it always seem DICE does a step forwards and a step backwards. I haven't followed the BF4 development and I really loathed BF3; however, BC2 was one of my all-time favorite multiplayer games. Is BF4 pretty much just a continuation of BF3 or does it play more like BC2?

I can't be bothered to google it but I remember the exact same interview came out before bf3 saying that bc2 had loads of design issues and blah de blah. It's a common thing developers do (not saying they are wrong).

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Thats a pretty hilarious "bug" to over look. Oh well I was enjoying not being shat on constantly by air. Hopefully the rest of the launchers make up for it.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Riflen posted:

The cool CPU for games will be Haswell-E when it turns up at the end of 2014 with 6 and 8 core models and ddr4 memory support.

I'm going to ride out my I5 2500 until this one hits I think.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The fact that the best thing people can say about windows 8 is that it's actually not that bad really isn't a selling point for me in any shape or form.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Olive Branch posted:

The last Battlefield game I played was Battlefield 2 (it came out after Vietnam, right?). I played like 10 seconds of 2142 and never touched 3, Bad Company, etc. However, BF4 is looking amazing, even if it is on Origin.

What are your impressions from the beta? Is it worth a buy on the PC for someone who hasn't followed the series since 2?

A hard question? Did you stop playing games altogether or have you been playing another game or some thing?

The basic dynamics haven't really changed, it's still infantry and vehicles etc, they have refined the infantry combat (shooting/movement etc) amazingly well since bf2 IMO.

I suppose it's just what you want from a shooter (you will still get annoyingly destroyed by aircraft).

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Aircraft aren't even half of what they were in BF2. The chopper can't one shot tanks from 400 meters aways, the Jets can't kill half a team with a single bombing run and you're actually given effective ground based anti-aircraft weapons (including infantry ones). The class system is much better than in BF2, so you won't have a situation where Assault is basically a Medic who can't heal or no one playing Engineer because it was just so unfun to play. Also combat is no longer decided by who can hit the prone button first. You also get unlimited sprint so it's not as much of a slog to get from one point to the next.

Yeah but but you still get annoyingly destroyed by air. The BF series is the only fps I play where I get genuinely annoyed by some deaths. In every other game I got out played or took a risk or was unlucky etc.
e- All good points about bf2 though

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I think rush is "safer" in that every one is forced to attack and defend. If you were blind folded and clicked on a conquest server the chances of it being a terribly lop sided poo poo fest are high.

If you check the scores before joining and find a balanced game, conquest is better (IMO). You dynamically attack and defend and the fight shifts around the map. You can improvise and pull off mini raids and all sorts.

Rush just seems to be more predictable and because every one know where each other is going to be coming from, it's more of a grind.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

OneEightHundred posted:

So how does this happen?

Reminds me of dayz.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
If you mean controlling infantry and not flying you will get destroyed in most situations.

BF3 question. Origin keeps getting stuck "synchronising cloud data". I've tried restarting etc, any ideas?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

BORK! BORK! posted:

Controller feels much more natural for vehicles though :( and I have been playing FPS games exclusively on console for the past 10+ years so I would be dreadful on mouse and keyboard.

Regarding the post above, people said the same thing about Planetside but I did much better than even I expected with a controller.

I'd stick to vehicles and maybe sniping, any sort of death match situation you will lose probably unless you are an MLG console guy.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
e - nevermind, it works now.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Ularg posted:

Man, I'm almost rank 10 and I'm already burnt out on the game. I can't play unless it's with someone else. I just wanted to hop on and turn the sound up real loud and go all war mode and I just couldn't really get into it.

I'm back to playing bf3, I just can't deal with 20-30 fps so I'll wait for the release build.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

The Mantis posted:

Anyone have input on whether things like sprint and ADS are best set to "hold" or "click to toggle"? I know the real answer is personal preference, I'm just trying to feel it out.

Disclaimer: I'm a convert from the the unwashed console gaming underclass.

It's all personal preference but I find click to zoom in way easier to be precise in my aiming with than constantly holding the button down.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Watching it being played with a controller is painful. It must be so easy to flank people on consoles.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It's been discussed to death in previous bf beta threads but I agree it's a bit of a silly move by dice. When I played the beta most of the server chat was people commenting how badly it was performing.

For them to do this for a third time is bad messaging on their part. They should have a huge glowing message when you start the beta that says, "this build runs at xx% that the final product will".

You can argue all you like about how every one is a pubby idiot etc but if the perception is leading to them losing pre orders it's really their fault. Especially as they always do this. The vast majority of players know nothing about random devs twitter feeds or what ever.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Naturally Selected posted:

This is why it says BETA. And why every second you're playing it has BETA in huge fuckoff letters on your screen. And why it's called BETA. And why they've said 100 times over that it's an old, unoptimized build that's been forked from the main development a long time ago. AND WHY IT SAYS loving OPEN loving BETA IN HUGE LETTERS ON YOUR SCREEN WHENEVER YOU PLAY HOLY poo poo HOW IS THAT EASY TO MISS :psyboom:

Seriously, how the gently caress are people actually missing all of that signaling that says "this is a pre-release, unoptimized, buggy version of a game that we want you to test". What do you want them to do to make it any clearer? Come to everyone's house and beat them to death with a 2x4 that says THIS IS AN OPEN BETA on it?

Ok dude calm down. I have known this and played the last 2 bf games betas. Their messaging obviously isn't working though (and it didn't work on those previous games either).

A "beta" can mean loads of things in this day and age. Loads of betas are demos.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
What is the microsoft thing that comes with the patch? Related to dx?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9l9cgqwYdU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Trisk posted:

The only crashes that I've experienced are weird ones when touching down after HALO jumping and parachuting in Obliteration. Seems to happen when I'm trying to do too many things at once right as I hit the ground. CTD.

In certain situations like exiting the lift and there being 4 guys all firing guns at me on screen, the game will either freeze at 0 fps or some times crash.

Other times it will just crash randomly. I'm hoping it's just drivers as bf3 started crashing for the first time ever as well. I'm using the latest stable nvidia ones.

• Locked thread