Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
Is my emblem suitably goony? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
Anyone have input on whether things like sprint and ADS are best set to "hold" or "click to toggle"? I know the real answer is personal preference, I'm just trying to feel it out.

Disclaimer: I'm a convert from the the unwashed console gaming underclass.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

The Mantis posted:

Anyone have input on whether things like sprint and ADS are best set to "hold" or "click to toggle"? I know the real answer is personal preference, I'm just trying to feel it out.

For every PC game with a sprint function like BF I've always used "hold", same with ADS. It is, however, personal preference like you said. Try both and see what your happy with most! :)

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

The Mantis posted:

It's personal preference, but some people who use too much pressure when holding mouse buttons tend to like toggle because it reduces handshake and makes your more accurate. Alternatively hold is more responsive.

Personally I haven't seen noticeable/worthwhile difference either way in actual effectiveness but just find hold more intuitive so I go with that.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

The Mantis posted:

It's all personal preference but I find click to zoom in way easier to be precise in my aiming with than constantly holding the button down.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Selklubber posted:

Yeah when you play with friends or get lucky and join a good squad it's amazingly fun.
My problem with the game is when I surprise multiple people. I'm like a colorblind lion attacking a zebra herd, I don't know who to shoot! I'll shoot at everybody, empty the weapon and get stabbed in the back. :saddowns:

Did you know there are colorblind options in the video menu?

http://imgur.com/a/iBRGY

I'm weird because I've been contemplating switching over to one of the options, even know I'm not technically colorblind I just find some of those other options easier to distinguish.

The Mantis posted:

I tried for the longest time to get used to "Hold to ADS" because it was default in Planetside 2 and for some reason what someone in GOKU or GOON pushed me to try and use after using "Toggle ADS" all my life. I'm not trying to get back to Toggle ADS and it's the hardest thing to do.

Stick with one oh god it is hard to go between the two.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Is there a maximum turning rate or some kind of heinous negative mouse acceleration for infantry? Or is it unintentional and just my computer being insufficiently powerful? I can't seem to flick turn around.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Senethro posted:

Is there a maximum turning rate or some kind of heinous negative mouse acceleration for infantry? Or is it unintentional and just my computer being insufficiently powerful? I can't seem to flick turn around.

Do you have Raw Input turned on in the options?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

After being stuck as a gunner for pubbies in the transport chopper a lot, I'll try to draw some lessons from their ineptitude.

-Either hover or move evasively, don't try to do both at once. Pubbies seem to love trying to sort of juke back and forth in place when their gunners are firing. It doesn't really make the helo any more difficult to hit with an RPG and only serves to completely gently caress up your gunners' aim. If there are too many engineers around to hover safely, go for swift but smooth passes. That way your gunners can at least anticipate and correct for the choppers movement.

-The guns can't really fire forward and trying to give both gunners a field of fire is often just not going to work. When in doubt, pick one side and work to give that one the best opportunities.

-When you have passengers that are not in gunner seats, make sure to fly over a rooftop or something on occasion so they have a good spot to land on. This is pretty useful for attacking C especially.

-As the pilot, don't bail unless the chopper is either burning or upside down. The transport helos are pretty drat tough, and with a bit of practice you can often save them even after getting hit with a missile or rocket.

Also, somewhat related: As the gunner to the attack chopper, don't bail the instant you hear the lock-on tone. Seriously, that must have happened to me like three times in a row when it was only some cheeky recon with a laserpointer that we could just have blown up with ease :argh:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Here's the rule of thumb I go by as the pilot of anything. Tank, helicopter, anything. Never bail out. Die with the drat thing and take anything you can with you. Especially now since helicopters seem to always survive just barely. I've stolen the other teams transport chopper so many times because they've abandoned it and it fallen slowly to the ground and I would get in and have it auto repair.

Also, as a helo pilot I tend to do circle strafing around whatever target I want gunners to shoot at. How is that for people? I've never had the chance to really get opinions. Just a steady circle around a building.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Ularg posted:

I found going to general/gameplay options and turning Network Smoothing Factor to 100% fixed my stuttering problems completely. Core i7 920 3.20GHz, 660ti and 12GB RAM

The trade of is that now player model positions and actual player hitbox positions are desynced. It's either stuttering mess with more accurate position, or interpolated smoothness with averaged position.

Edit: Flying helicopters with the stuttering does not a happy pilot, nor my gunner, make. Sorry goon who was flying with me earlier :smith:

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 6, 2013

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I was just in spectator mode and saw things getting hit before the person fired. In one occasion a gunner for a chopper was getting the hit marker before firing, and the other somebody in a LAV was shooting at a statue and it was breaking before they started shooting. Before I thought I was just sucking, but it appears that things are happening before I see them, which explains why I'm having so much trouble hitting anything. The micro stuttering does not help either.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I've taken to putting hits out on my teammates in the chat. It started because we kept losing E while five members of the team sat on the circular building at the point. After that it just kept going and the snipers were really, really unhappy with me.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lazyfire posted:

I've taken to putting hits out on my teammates in the chat. It started because we kept losing E while five members of the team sat on the circular building at the point. After that it just kept going and the snipers were really, really unhappy with me.

This is a game mechanic that I think will change drastically in the full version, it seems to me beta testing with features like "Commanders tomahawking sniper nests" removed is really strange.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

jisforjosh posted:

The trade of is that now player model positions and actual player hitbox positions are desynced. It's either stuttering mess with more accurate position, or interpolated smoothness with averaged position.

Edit: Flying helicopters with the stuttering does not a happy pilot, nor my gunner, make. Sorry goon who was flying with me earlier :smith:

I never noticed anything like this. When sniping my bullets go through shoulders, necks and somethings heads of people I try to snipe with smoothing factor on or off so turning it to max to get rid of stuttering was fine by me.

But yea if it does desync please do keep that in mind. Also try Vsync or forcing triple buffering through your video card, but you might start getting input lag.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
How do I become the commander? I loved commanding in BF2

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Zzulu posted:

Get a job at DICE. Commander is still locked for regular players.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Zzulu posted:

You play the full game. This beta is more about stress testing the servers and finding small bugs than playtesting major features

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:
Just unlocked the AK5C. Is it just me or is this gun incredibly good?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Where are the error logs stored? I've been trying to get this game running for days, but every time I join a server it loads for a bit and then crashes. I've updated pb, got the latest drivers, updated directx, and set everything to run as administrator, but nothing works.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

jisforjosh posted:

You play the full game. This beta is more about stress testing the servers and finding small bugs than playtesting major features

Wow I hope this isn't true, because there are bugs galore all up ins. If this is just a stress test there is no way i'm paying money for this game.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

So uh, how exactly do you unlock carbines?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Lugaloco posted:

So uh, how exactly do you unlock carbines?

Play engineer.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Terpfen posted:

Just unlocked the AK5C. Is it just me or is this gun incredibly good?

It's not just you.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Does anyone have tips for being an effective squad leader? I get defaulted in to it sometimes and don't want to mess it up.

I generally try to take a passive command role. I'll call in attacks on cap points and hang back in a side area with good visuals to the cap area. From there I can tag enemies and communicate, and stay put acting as a mobile spawn point.

Once the squad begins capping I'll usually run in to support if the coast is clear, trying to get some ammo resupplies and tagging the next attack point.

I get nervous since I am pubbie level with my skills and I don't want to piss people off.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

mad.radhu posted:

Wow I hope this isn't true, because there are bugs galore all up ins. If this is just a stress test there is no way i'm paying money for this game.

You have to remember, this is an old build of the game, the percentage of people that actually constructively report bugs in an open beta besides "OMG loving DICE FIX THIS" is relatively small.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

jisforjosh posted:

You have to remember, this is an old build of the game, the percentage of people that actually constructively report bugs in an open beta besides "OMG loving DICE FIX THIS" is relatively small.

It's not an old build.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ularg posted:

It's not an old build.

It's old enough that it's missing features, so........

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

It might not be an old build, but they better fix the stuttering. My computer should handle this game at max settings 1080p at 70+ fps no issue at all. This is the only game right now that I have an issue with. I'd like some sort of confirmation on their part that they are aware of the massive stuttering issues that people are experiencing, and some sort of an ETA, whether it is a beta patch, or if it's fixed on release. I have 24h from release to determine if I need to get a refund.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Ularg posted:

It's not an old build.

It most definitely is an old build.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Ularg posted:

It's not an old build.

It's the E3 build. So yeah, it's old.

Zotix posted:

It might not be an old build, but they better fix the stuttering.

Driver updates plus optimizations coming in the release version should help. Though I don't see any stuttering, to be honest.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

keyframe posted:

It most definitely is an old build.

It isn't really. They made a post on Reddit on Wednesday or so saying that the build was less than a week old.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Zotix posted:

It isn't really. They made a post on Reddit on Wednesday or so saying that the build was less than a week old.

It was compiled a week ago. The code being compiled is what they showed at E3.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Zotix posted:

Internal builds may vary from department to department. If this beta is meant to test server load, it's totally possibly the build fork isn't 100% up to date between all the departments' development efforts.

EDIT: Maybe 'department' isn't the right word, but teams of programmers are likely working on optimizations to specific feature sets.

Ark
Aug 20, 2000

Ularg posted:

I found going to general/gameplay options and turning Network Smoothing Factor to 100% fixed my stuttering problems completely. Core i7 920 3.20GHz, 660ti and 12GB RAM

This worked really well for me, went from unplayable to the odd hiccup here and there.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
As I understood the message by the developer, it's a new build of an old branch. That means it will have the fixes that they deemed worthy / were capable of porting.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
For reference this is the Reddit post I was referring to DICE saying it isn't an old build.

It's more like a slightly polished E3 thingy. They didn't just grab the E3 code and say "let them eat poo poo".

Ark posted:

This worked really well for me, went from unplayable to the odd hiccup here and there.

I'm glad it worked.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Dice hasn't really shown a history of being reliable or trustworhy about anything so don't read too much into whatever build or branch you think might be what. Wait and see how the game runs after release, I could see it being ten times better or ten times worse and neither would surprise me given their track record.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Pryor on Fire posted:

Dice hasn't really shown a history of being reliable or trustworhy about anything so don't read too much into whatever build or branch you think might be what. Wait and see how the game runs after release, I could see it being ten times better or ten times worse and neither would surprise me given their track record.

Except for how the BF3 Beta ran like complete poo poo, but the full game ran significantly better despite the same bullshit being posted about the beta back then as well.

I guess what actually happened is that DICE secretly hired Treyarch to fix the game because :dice: :dice: :dice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

fivegears4reverse posted:

Except for how the BF3 Beta ran like complete poo poo, but the full game ran significantly better despite the same bullshit being posted about the beta back then as well.

I guess what actually happened is that DICE secretly hired Treyarch to fix the game because :dice: :dice: :dice:

Well it's a coinflip, that might happen again or they might decide to optimize lighting or something and not bother testing it on nvidia cards and there's a new bug that caps your framerate at 8 and they don't fix it for a month. Like I said neither scenario would surprise me.

• Locked thread