Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I love that Recon has a non sniper rifle from the get go as well. Got several good C4 kills last night after being able to take out a couple of guys guarding a tank. Never would have happened with bolt action/pistol.

Though I was getting mauled by Engineers with the Rex last night.

Been a while since I started BF3, but I believe the snipers started with the Mk11 and SVD, which are both more of a close/medium range rifle. Most of the semis in BF3 are disturbingly good with an acog/red dot and used on the offensive.

Most pubbies don't get this as they only know about using 12x m98s from five feet away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Well that site is wonderful. The M98 is no longer the pubby cannon. The FY-JS has less drop then it.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Bohemian Nights posted:

These knifing sprees are terrifying. Are there different animations for the various knives?

Maybe? I haven't noticed anything, but I've been using the machete mostly.

And if you want to go on a knifing spree, find a big TDM of Lancang Dam and use the north, west and south boundaries as lanes of movement. You can catch unaware pubbies sniping or sitting in the spawn pocket and just go nuts.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
gently caress rooftop autists and aspies who think that I shouldn't be listening to music while playing this game.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Lazyfire posted:

I have the EOD Fleet video processing right now, but until then, enjoy what happens when you go on a Reddit server and make fun of Reddit:

I just wished we had worked out how to volley RGOs to get auto-kicked off the server. Would have been a great ending.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

TubeStank posted:

How the admins / members were camping in spawn was hilarious. No poo poo you can't capture and hold any points when you've got 5+ people doing literally gently caress-all. Banning half the other team will help you win, though!

The best was the rear end in a top hat kicking people dropped 'You should PTFO or GTFO.'

After they'd spent the previous 2-3 rounds uncap lurking with AA and tanks. They loved getting called on that one.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Rolling Scissors posted:

Opened a battlepack and there it was, that toilet gator dog tag. But I've grown so fond of that little penguin, that now I don't know what to do, I'm so torn.

Little penguin will always be there. He knows that someday you'll come back to it, but for today you need to rep the taint chomper.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

UCAV works if you get enough range from the target or the roof is low enough. A/E to the apartment weener on Floodzone is the right distance where the UCAV will reach with no real inputs for climb.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
I don't care if I'm wrong, but playing with Cplkerebos makes me think I am playing with a sane Krieger. And it's simply the best.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Lazyfire posted:

Speaking of: GSN Gaming has a second server and I have nothing to do Saturday and will attempt to record me angering their admins if they haven't pre-banned me from that one.

Can I be a part of your internet entourage?

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Lazyfire posted:

I guess. What are your credentials for greifing?

Weak, but I do enjoy catching individuals in hypocritical statements and lies.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
It's true, and getting dart sniped from across the map by it is obnoxious.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Welp, just earned my first MVP ribbon after owning this since launch while earning my JS2 tag. Moral: I'm bad and use bad guns.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

OGS-Remix posted:

So I got the DAO-12 and used it in a game of Locker yesterday. I went 53-12. :stare:

Edit: This is on Conquest Large, it's not even a Domination or TDM score. I could probably do better in those gametypes.

The only balancing factor to it is the fact that reloading takes so drat long, otherwise it's a complete murder machine. And I don't even have flechettes for it yet.

You can fire while reloading. Never not active reload.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
I just earned my ten kill streak and it didn't unlock on the assignment. Do I have to get the kill streak in a SA map?

Also, thread title: Battlefield 4: At least it's not cra

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Bohemian Nights posted:

I've had a day off, so I've spent a couple of hours looking through and sorting some of my game footage. I'll probably make a proper video at some point, but for now, have another one of me horsing around in a scout chopper on an empty server, when I notice something I've somehow never seen before.

Music: Gorillaz - Dare

E; Aw, youtube put it out of sync by half a second. Oh welp!

I just want you to know that I am envious of your flying abilities. Jerk.

And you'd never see Kharg/Karkand/Seine as favorite maps. It was waaay too easy with a single dedicated squad to lock a team in their spawn with no way out on console, I can only imagine how terrible it was on PC. Metro is the same, but it at least gives the illusion that A/C aren't actually your team spawn.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

There is no reason to use passive missles or heatseekers once you have active missles unlocked on the stealth jet, right? I'm not missing anything from the symthic site am I?

Eh? I thought the passives may have done more damage, but you can actually get more service out of a passive radar missile if you can reacquire a lock on after they pop flares or you target something else if they pop ECM. PRs keep going until they hit something or vanish.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Bohemian Nights posted:

Going back to the eternal fountain of cribbing on Mad decent's blood bros 2 mix as a soundtrack, I cut up another video, reusing some old footage and a little bit of filler. It's a compilation of various flying machines and parachuting.
My video editing skills needs a lot of work, but this is the last video I'll make using Avidemux, a process that felt more like butchering and less like editing, but I think it'll get a lot easier with Virtual Dub.

I also need to record more raw footage to work with.

E; It also contains several seconds of goons attempting to sing, so you've been warned.

You fly the way I wish I could. Aside from time in vehicles, how does one achieve this level of flying?

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Bohemian Nights posted:

If we're excluding hours spent flying, I assume the answer is fairy dust or something. I'm okay with a joystick, but I only do what I do because I've spent more time flying in BF3 and BF4 than most people spent playing the entire game.

You do all that with KBM?

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Lazyfire posted:

Apparently in the user.cfg file you need to delete a line that reads UIDrawEnable=1 and you'll be cool. I launched a game to check if I was good and everything was fine, but for some reason "Borderless" now means "Half screen at full resolution" but changing the screen setting fixed that.

Question answered. Thanks tech support!

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
To further add to the Tezzwar 'COMMANDER RETARDS' saga, I looked up his stats last night.
Time in Game: ~200 hrs
Service Stars: 16, all commander.
SPM: 173
Quit Rate: ~80%

Initiating a mutiny felt so good because other squadleaders started asking what the hell mutiny meant.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

OneEightHundred posted:

I'm actually wondering if BF4 was forked off of BF3 mid-development or something, because the STAFF bug and DAO bug sound suspiciously familiar.

Probably not even a fork. They most likely copy-pasted their V1.0 BF3 code right into a new folder and worked from that.

And I just saw a pubby call high ping an exploit.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Missed the chance to toss a name for the platoon in. I thought A Sound Crash would be witty.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Control settings chat: I used this. It lets you actually over ride all the settings for your buttons. I remapped my Xbox controller to BF3 controls exactly using it.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
I got a gunship above award in game earlier and I have no clue what it is. Anybody know?

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Delicious Meat posted:

Man, gently caress "Express Train". Didn't register Metro kills and I couldn't get enough assists after playing a 1500 ticket Conquest match. At least the other weapons aren't impossible to unlock.

At least I killed 74 dudes by hiding in smoke and M249ing their face.

Shotgun, no slugs, engage at long range. Hitmarkers will come flowing in, especially if you start firing frags around corners. No not use undermounted FBs as they are hosed for giving assists. Also, throw incendiaries/FBs.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

The Gunslinger posted:

The AA mine sounds really stupid and unnecessary, air has enough counters now. The poor attack heli might as well not even leave spawn, something farts on you and you crater helplessly into the ground.

Nope, sounds like it's a good addition to me.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
My only grump about the UCAV is that the airburst working on helos is kind of sensitive. I keep popping them right against their skin and not getting anything for it.

AA mines are going to be worth the dead slot just so I can make pubbies poo poo themselves in fury. I've seen enough bitching about MAAs in their spawn while we have most of the cap points because they can't fly past the one point in range of the MAA. Being able to poop these things forward of the MAA and knock helos out of the air is going to be amazing.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

fknlo posted:

The general consensus is it's a dmr that you'll be able to put higher power scopes on. Why you'd want that is beyond me, but apparently people have been asking for that.

It's because your average roof sniper is a bad shot and they think that putting a high mag scope on a DMR will make them better. It won't, as most DMRs kick like a mule when you start pulling the trigger like some stranger's dick. But they don't care because Killdeer.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Samuel posted:

You think somebody will ever do a paper on the mental capacity for players to complete objectives and do problem solving? I mean we all wondered at some point why people are so drat stupid in videogames, even though I don't remember having this problem in Enemy Territory.

I remember one goon doing the Portal II challenge for goons, I wonder how that turned out.

My opinion is that they're some combination of young, high or drunk. As much as people enjoy doing it, alcohol and other substances directly impact your thought process when it comes to risk analysis and behavior patterns while under their effects.

Also, gently caress goon daos.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

I suppose since I never used it before the nerf I'll never quite know that high. Still, it's incredibly useful, especially for blowing up roof snipers, and is basically never leaving my support at this point; I'd even switch out the ammo box before it. The snipers who camp the flat building between B and D on Siege of Shanghai never see it coming and I've gotten a huge amount of multi-kills on snipers and DMR users on top of Hainan.

Pretty much how I am with the UCAV. Got tanks on the map that are being a pain? Ammo box to C4. That UCAV stays on just to piss off the tankers with mobility kills and random coup de grace.

This thread as also made me want the AA mine so bad. So many god damned tears from something that will most likely not show up that often. Pubbie engies will have to choose from between torches, slams and rockets as to what to give up.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Apparently the new AWS is good. I've unlocked the AA mines and the AWS tonight. They don't show up in battlelog, though. :/

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Dillbag posted:

Me too. Let me know if you don't get to this until the weekend because I want in on the UCAV party. I need the SUAV too.

SUAV is much easier to get than the UCAV and works as a stand in for it in a pinch. If you're willing to take the time, the SUAV is better at picking off roof wookies on at a time and is much easier to control with a longer flight time. So it is the sniper shot to the UCAV's artillery round.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

canyoneer posted:

It'll probably be the weekend for me.
Some tips online for UCAV unlock is join (empty) air superiority servers with high ticket counts running Hardcore settings. Jets die much faster there, so the jet ribbons are easy.
As far as the "win a round of air superiority", the suggestion is to join an AS server and fly around capping points (and getting killed often), because jetlords never play the objectives. Might just get lucky.

Can any goons who cheesed this in the past offer more advice?

Guns are key. Every missile will either not do enough damage, knock them down enough that some pubbie will take the kill or disable them and crash them into the ground. If you can get on them and use your guns, you will take them down surprisingly fast.

EDIT: Holy poo poo, that DAO guy. Everyone of his top guns is a broken one. Hahahahahahaha.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Well, that seems like a realistic example

If our Silk Road Macross roleplay hadn't been because we were trying to unlock the mines, it very easily would have looked like that.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Icept posted:

http://gfycat.com/SlightMiserlyGemsbok

Is this some fun new bug from a recent patch? Never had that happen before, would at least have gotten hitmarkers and then damage rollback.

Otherwise, the AWS is pretty slick.

Either turn your network smoothing down/off or congratulations on finding out what happens when you battle Koreans/South Americans/anyone with > 200 ping.

I want a return to Aftermath or Aftermathesque DLC that brings in scavenged/improvised weapons. I want the crossbow back and I would be giddy if they put an actual nail gun in as a PDW.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Battlefield 4 is fun and all, but the chat pane and emblem minigames are the best part of it.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Lazyfire posted:

Congrats on beating Hellbender to the holy grail of chat rage.

Close. He was told to 'GO BACK TO COD U HACKING CAMPER <favored expletive>'.

EDIT: You think popping a helo with a SRAW feels good, wait until you get a triple off an AC130 with it.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Oh hey, the Flood Zone discussion is back.

Honestly, most people probably hate that map because it is a properly done vertical infantry map. Instead of having two or three areas where idiots aggregate and you can just bomb with something, Flood Zone is extremely hard to judge where most people are in relation to you.

TL;DR: Flood Zone is hated because it's the least linear map in the lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
So I don't know who he is, but apparently the goons in mumble where saying XTS-Andy is someone special. The guy who went 8-18 got his tags.

:ninja:

• Locked thread