Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Rawrbomb posted:

So, is it just me or does the default sniper rifle have a really weird arc?
I tried it out for a bit and it really does; I was terrible with it, but it might be because I'm too used to the M98B. The trail and little wisp of smoke for sniper shots is a nice aesthetic touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

John Magnum posted:

I feel bad knowing that I'm one of the mostly incompetent scrubs that can't shoot for poo poo that the good players bemoan :C At least I try to PTFO and chuck medkits around even if I can't kill anyone.
I was having this issue before but my problem was that I was way too used to tap firing from BF3 and basically losing every firefight in the beta even after getting the drop on someone. In the beta I'm holding to fire(correcting against the recoil) and it's been a night and day difference ever since.

Eyefinity is still stuttering but I'll try reverting to previous drivers so I don't have to play at 1920x1080.

Grey Fox V2 posted:

What is that?
The logo for Novalogic's Delta Force series. They made awesome military sim games and I still play F-22 Lightning 3 for nostalgia factor :(

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Ularg posted:

Now if whatever they've done to their servers can just stop so I'm not disconnecting as soon as I join that'd be loving great. It was fine three hours ago. and kept getting worse. Stupid open beta. :argh:
If you think it's an open beta now, wait until tomorrow when the masses get access :unsmith:

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Batham posted:

Go right ahead! If I knew how to share emblems I'd send it to you.
Just link your BF4 profile; if anyone clicks on the emblem they can copy and use them too.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

This is teamwork and PTFO to the max :circlefap:

Ularg posted:

It's just way too easy to control LMGs with the mouse while moving. If you could shoot while sprinting I bet you could still manage the recoil to a pin point accuracy. Setting up a bipod I think just auto spots you and laser designates you while giving everyone a javelin to lock on to you with because I always die as soon as I set a bipod up anywhere useful.
The Type 88 LMG was surprisingly good when tap/burst(not burst mode) firing and the recoil was very manageable. When holding down to fire, even when controlling the kickback and recoil, there was a slight figure-8 sway which I think DICE implemented for BF4 because it's not there for any LMG in BF3.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Lord Yod posted:

Answering my own question here: On the MAA you can fire passive radar missiles in volleys of 2 and have 4 total before you run empty, giving you a much greater volume of fire, and they are astoundingly good at disabling/destroying helicopters, especially on open maps. Good lord.
These must of been the source of the massive BS I was experiencing on the Dam map last night while trying to level the scout heli. Almost instantly when I got to C or D there would be the missile incoming tone without the lock-on stages and I'd be disabled(usually crashing) in a heartbeat from a camping AA.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Sedisp posted:

So the 20 mm cannons for the scout choppers wreck everything that has the misfortune of being made of meat and bones. The downside is with the less than stellar magazine size belt feeder is a needed equip.
These were well worth the learning curve of the normal 7.62mm miniguns. I never used the scout a lot in BF3 but watching a stream of someone eviscerating everything in sight(then again, he had a squad member on each side repairing) me want to level up the scout heli ASAP.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Propaganda Hour posted:

:siren: Checking back in, AMD 13.11 Beta8 work perfectly for me. No RSOD since I installed them.
Going to install these when I get home; hopefully I can go back to playing the game in eyefinity without BSOD.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't know how people manage to fly jets in this game. Mouse requires you to constantly pull pitch like crazy with your mouse, but roll doesn't require much sensitivity, and there's no way to independently configure them!? :psyduck: Joystick is broken too though...
Not sure if this would apply to jets but for helicopters I bound spacebar to pitching the nose up and it's helped tremendously in the scout with maneuverability, especially when I'm using A/W/D to turn and can't hit S in time to pull up at the last second.

Got that little trick from watching Widgitybear's twitch stream.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Naturally Selected posted:

Anyone else's BF4 just suddenly go to poo poo? Had a couple servers crash and 1 or 2 game crashes all day, right now I can't get a game going at all. 6 servers, 4 crash serverside, 2 sound-loop. :smith:
Tonight's been the worst so far; I've had not responding errors or BSODs about every third match.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

keyframe posted:

I really like that antenna map v:unsmith:v

Had some really nice battles under the antenna.

I think my least favorite map is the one with the train. It is not a bad map or anything, but it is pretty bland. That and flood zone. Flood zone is not a bad map either, but I have yet to have a good game on it. I have a bitch of a time seeing enemies on that map.

Favorites so far are Paracel Storm, OP Lockdown, Zavod 311 and Rogue Transmission. I can play those forever.
Paracel/Dawnbraker/Zavod are my three favorites but I actually like Gulmud Railway, especially with 64 players because the sheer size makes it seem like two maps with A/B/C being one zone and D/E/F/G being the other. The only downsize is that it always has lag issues and sound cutouts.

Initially I was on the edge with OP Locker being terrible but put on a pair of good headphones and turn up the volume because the sound of constant chaos in the enclosed spaces is amazing.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Sparticle posted:

Some shameless guy in the showdown seemed to be exploiting a bug where if you swap seats in the scout heli it will reset flares.
Time to take advantage of this before it gets hotfixed :getin:

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Was in the zone and having a 20-1 round in the scout heli but Battlefield 4 has stopped responding.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Are you using the miniguns or the 20mms? It feels like you have to hit a guy a poo poo ton with the miniguns to take him down.
The 25mm cannons. With the autoloader they are very deadly and the splash damage can take out multiple infantry if they're grouped up.

Also, on an HC server it's pretty much a one-hit kill with the cannons.

Acquilae fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 3, 2013

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

I know this has been mentioned before but the active radar missiles are ridiculous right now. Basically yon have your team lure the opponent's aircraft within range of them and it's instant death.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

CombatBonta-kun posted:

It feels like the beta was more stable than release at this point.
I rarely ever had an error in beta and almost every match I've had today's been a not responding error halfway in. My quit % is going to be like 40% by Monday.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I actually dislike the current Heli setup. I take them down, but usually only get disable points as it spins into the ground and crashes. I don't get the deaths since they get counted as suicide. Don't get vehicle destruction.
Yeah it's very irritating to get aircraft kills in BF4 with everything being counted as Killed In Action but it seems like it's the result of critical hits as I can get hit by stingers 3ft from the ground, die right away, and it'll be another KIA instead of crediting a kill to the opponent.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Insert name here posted:

It'd be more fun if there was a cruise missile asset on every map but instead it's either an AC-130 or a missile, and the AC-130 is super boring because all you get to do is deploy it and then ignore it. Dropping missiles on motherfuckers is literally the only thing worth playing commander for.
As a terrible jet pilot who'll never win a dogfight in any BF game ever I love the AC-130 for racking up jet points until unlocking rockets.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Umberger posted:

32 player servers are pretty inoffensive from what I've experienced. 64 player servers are hit or miss, but the only error I receive in those is DirectX crashes so it may very well be the AMD beta drivers screwing up (there's no framerate issues/it's not the card overheating). I've yet to run in to a server crash.
Are you getting those errors with the new AMD drivers that came out today?

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Captain Matchbox posted:

This game only crashes when I'm doing well
This is my experience as well.

So very proud of my quit percentage of almost 30% :allears:

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

klockwerk posted:

Don't get me started on the people who pick up the bomb, but seem to have no idea they are carrying it and run in the complete wrong direction.
My favorite are the bomb carriers who run it back to the place where the other team is supposed to plant it :allears:

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Ugh, the last two days were *relatively* stable and all but one match today went without a "Not Responding" error.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Jesus this guy can fly.
Honestly a lot of decent heli pilots can fly the same way, especially with space bar to pitch the nose up(I do as well) but Widgity and the other top heli players all have 2 engineers constantly repairing and accompanying them with stingers to dominate each map.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

timmmmaaaah posted:

Yeh if you get a couple of good players and have them repair/stinger your murderboat/scout heli you pretty much dominate every map/server. Not to take anything away from that guys flying skills, its pretty impressive.
Yeah while it's expected in pub servers, even on like KFS I seem to get people who just want a free taxi to the highest point on the map and whenever supporting a scout heli it's always repairing some guy who constantly tries to shoot down jets and can't get a single kill in 15+ minutes :(. So I hope for servers like Dawnbreaker or Flood Zone where I can at least have a lot of good cover to reset flares.

Acquilae fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Nov 10, 2013

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Even with all the instability issues of BF4 I love the game enough to get a "gaming" monitor and ordered a BenQ XL2420TE from Amazon as it's on sale there. Can't wait for it to come in.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Anyone have advice on using the SRAW? I just unlocked it, and am excited to learn it, but I have yet to hit an air vehicle, and it doesn't seem to do much damage to land vehicles.
I've only hit a heli once in 20+ tries but unless it's hovering or coming straight at you, the missile has to be led quite a bit.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

n0n0 posted:

So is the SCAR pretty much the only weapon that I'll ever need as Assault?
[insert AR here] with stubby/potato grip and muzzle brake/compensator is all you'll ever need.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

TheRationalRedditor posted:

It's actually Ergo/Vertical grip and HB/Silencer once you get better. Though the compensator has its uses. Muzzle brake is only a crutch before a player learns to control a gun's recoil.

Mr.Citrus posted:

Stubby / potato grip is actually kind of useless IMO. Angled / Folding and Vertical/ Ergo has a much larger effect on your weapons performance.
Yeah I can see the advantages for people with great muscle memory and knowing recoil patterns; personally I've been going with the combination on rifles and carbines and it's so stable to ADS at mid/long range because the stubby/potato grip really helps negate the accuracy loss of the muzzle brake.

Technical stuff: is anyone else getting GPU usage issues? It might be the most recent AMD drivers but in game my GPUs are capping at 50% but then somehow decide to throttle up to 70-80% when in the deploy screen.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Liberatore posted:

Let's just say I wasn't aware you could fly so much higher than the AC-130 or that you could destroy it with C4.
If you want a challenge you could try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bop_uiM6pqo

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

i5 3570K @ 4.2ghz and a Radeon 7950

I have it at 1080p, everything at ultra except lighting and effects (at high and could probably do ultra but whatever) and AA deferred disabled. Gets 75ish FPS up to 85 or so on every map but Zavod where it hovers between 65 and 70 for whatever reason.
3930K @ 4.6ghz/7970's in CF/16GB RAM and Zavod 311 will always linger at 55 FPS at the C and D flags and a lot of other maps will struggle to get over 60 FPS when I'm running on the ground. I'm also having an issue where GPU1 will rarely go over 60 % usage while GPU2 is always over 90%. Playing at 1920x1080 and have all settings Ultra, but AA/AA Deferred/AO off to try and stay over 100 FPS. Maybe going to Windows 8 can alleviate that.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Shima Honnou posted:

Have the 12s even seen any use, like, at all?
The Russians can use the AK-12 as an expensive movie prop, which is sadly what the fate of the F-22 is after the numerous issues and the F-35. But them again, the AK-47's too iconic to be replaced.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Is there a new server issue going on? I just logged on for the first time today and every server in my favorites list is either empty or <50% filled. This even includes the 24/7 Lockers No Explosives one that always has a queue of 5-10.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Why the gently caress does the game have to crash whenever I'm having an almost perfect round? :qq:

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

keyframe posted:

poo poo I was wondering why I can't shoot down anything today. :/
They're still really good; you just have to soften up a target a little more before firing the missiles.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

General Battuta posted:

This gets repeated every page, but you don't lose anything unless the server crashes.
Yeah I know progress get saved but it would be nice to actually finish a great round.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

You Gods in the sky, how the hell are you leveling up attack helicopters? It's bad enough waiting for ONE attack chop when I'm always trying to be gunner position because I can't fly worth a drat (lord help me if I end up in the pilot and someone else is in the gunner because I have to get out which means someone else takes it). And when I do get in the sky I pump 90 rounds of 30 mm into a loving tank and nothing happens, you'd think "oh well at least youll get an assist because your pilot NOPE pilot loving sucks and can't hit a barn loving door

HOW HOW HOW are you fuckers leveling this poo poo up?!?!

And you know what can really go gently caress itself? loving HE rounds on a tank. gently caress HE rounds. I don't care how powerful they are it's like trying to throw concrete boulders with one hand. gently caress
I found them the easiest to level on Dawnbreaker since there's a lot of cover, but any scout heli can take it out easily :(. Usually I'm flying solo but 2 passes on a tank is good enough to take it out(or 1 if a gunner is shooting it as well). I hate the new mechanics of the attack heli as they somehow have worse handling than the transport heli :psyduck: and even one stinger is enough to flip them onto their side.

Tasoth posted:

gently caress rooftop autists and aspies who think that I shouldn't be listening to music while playing this game.
I love rooftop spergs; they're are the reason I love using a scout heli in Zavod/Flood Zone/Dawnbreaker!

Acquilae fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 17, 2013

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

WastedJoker posted:

guess which players were using a scout heli with two engineers in back

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/battlereport/show/1/402206416957873152/178864884/
6,000 attack helicopter kills :stare:

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Snuffman posted:

I was flat out asking over mic if they understood what that green bar was and if they liked POINTZ cause they'd get more if they listened to me and stuck together. Typically, no one had a mic except me. Fun. Then the server crashed.
FPS gaming since Halo 1: people don't want POINTZ, they want KILLZ because the only thing that matters is K:D ratio.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Shima Honnou posted:

Considering I was playing rush last night and we lost all our vehicles because of the driver bailing in enemy territory instead of going down with the APC/tank/whatever, I'd much, much rather if more people just died with their vehicles.

Also, Golmud Rush is horrible.
Had to teach someone a lesson about this last night in KFS on Flood Zone where the opponent scout heli landed, bailed, pilot died when trying to stinger me, and got his little bird stolen so we had about 15 minutes of air superiority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Man the SRR better be worth it because I want to gouge my eyes out leveling sniper rifles.

• Locked thread