Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I always tried to get into Battlefield 3, but the pacing always felt off. And the maps didn't feel feel good. And it just wasn't what I wanted to play. Coming from Battlefield 1942 back in the day, it just felt... too fast? Or something.

Battlefield 4 is awesome. The map that floods, and the Dam map -- holy poo poo. Don't get me wrong, I totally suck (0.5 k/d with pubbies), but it really brings back memories of 1942.

If it weren't for the random crashes, it would be so awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm totally with you on all of this. I loved 1942 and 2, but 3 just didn't sit right with me, and I never played BC2. 4 is totally hitting a sweet spot in terms of franticness and (for lack of a better word) pacing.

Last night I was attacking on that Railroad map in Rush mode and we had taken the first MCOM and pushed across the railroad embankment itself, but then got pinned down hard behind the rocks. We made some probing pushes in the middle and right of the map to no avail. Then we busted through the left side behind the cover of 2 tanks who just roared up the hill with all guns firing constantly. The map ended not too long after because the ticket count was way too low, but it really felt like the sort of awesome combined arms moments that seemed to happen in BF2 with some regularity, but I never really experienced during my time in BF3.
Exactly. In BF3, it always felt like the vehicles were either the main focus of the map, or they were totally irrelevant. In 1942, it always felt like Tanks were necessary support vehicles for some maps, but that infantry were still useful. In BF3, on a map that required tanks, it was like infantry were useless.

Loving this game.

And then it crashes.

Incidently, what happens to my score if my client crashes? Do I lose it?

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
So is the SCAR pretty much the only weapon that I'll ever need as Assault?

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
I'm all by myself on KFS :(

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

Pierson posted:

Also for some reason I can't get the Private Games forum to load so just asking here quickly; am I loving up somewhere if KFS says 0/64 players all the time? I've whitelisted my Origin ID and yet it never has any players on it, ever. :(
This irritates me too. Like last night, right up until about 11pm, the server was packed. But then it crashed, a minute later it was back up, but nobody rejoined. We need some kind of goon pager system, or some poo poo. Is there an Origin ID thread?

It's a bummer, because rounds on KFS with goons are the best rounds -- the most fun -- that I've played. Squads actually follow orders. The commander is useful. Overall, people care a lot less about their k/d and a lot more about winning rounds. Also, USA almost always wins :)

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

Fallom posted:

Maybe KFS crashing so often is the reason people don't rejoin, not that they just don't know when it's up.
When it crashes, it's up again within 60 seconds. And I don't think that it crashes any more than any other 64 player server.

Is there a thread somewhere with goon Origin IDs?

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It definitely crashes a ton more than other 64 player servers I play on.
Hmmm. Maybe it's time that I branch out. What other servers do you play on? Or do you just play on random servers? Not that there's anything wrong with that. But one of the things that I've (always, since 1942) liked about KFS is the goon presence. It makes for a totally different experience than I get on other public servers 90% of the time.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Here are two random from my history that were more stable. Outside of KFS, most servers I have been on for 3-5 rounds don't crash.

Yea I just pick random ones or join people on my origin list, who are most likely in random ones. I just filter for conquest large 64 and pick whichever one isn't full. And I also enjoy the goon presence on KFS which is why it is so frustrating that it crashes.
I've had runs on KFS for at least 2-4 rounds. But when it crashes, it seems like it crashes two or three times in just thirty minutes... but then it's good for a period of time.

What's your Origin ID, if I may ask?

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Unfortunately it's telling me my profile is already verified when I went to go re-white list.
Did you use the correct Origin ID? The first time I did it, I used my login name, which was different from my Origin ID.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
gently caress. Just spent like an hour in a 5 vs 5 match on KFS. Score was like 20,000 something. Bunch of unlocks. Then the server crashes. gently caress you, KFS.

edit: Oh, the stats made it to battlelog. I was under the impression that server crashes meant the stats from the match were lost.

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Nov 27, 2013

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
Flashbangs are loving awesome. I used to hate Operation Locker for the choke points, because if one team is even a TINY bit organized, then the whole thing goes to pot pretty quickly. But a couple of well-placed flashbangs can, if the team can rally a couple of squads, really turn things around again. Getting through the door actually becomes possible, if your team can pick up on the fact that suddenly there aren't any bullets coming through the chokepoint.

Also, what's the point of barrel attachments? Other than the flash suppressor, it just seems like, at least for Carbines, barrel attachments are superfluous. I don't see any noticeable change in my accuracy with any of them. What am I missing here? Nearly every highish level player uses barrel attachments. But are they really helpful?

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

MonkeyLibFront posted:

IS this game still a horrible mess or should i jump in now before i get too far behind everyone else? i see its 33% off on origin.
It depends. I get a crash every 8-10 maps. Other people crash during every map rotation. Hard to say.

It's an awesome game.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
Anybody else download the patch, and then download China Rising, and then have to download them both again for some weird reason?

My 3Mbs DSL connection is not pleased.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
Is there an Origin ID trading thread, or some such?

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
According to this design document for Tribes 2, a client running at 28.8k could handle a 10hz refresh of 200 bytes. Without knowing the size of a typical packet in Battlefield 4, it's hard to make a direct comparison. However, my meager 3Mbs/1.5Mbs DSL has 50 times the upstream and 100 times the downstream bandwidth as a 28.8k modem.

Considering that Tribes 2 supported up to 100 players (or was it 64? or 128?), it is mind boggling to me that :dice: would choose such a pathetically low number for client/server refreshes. Especially considering that a lot of servers have 100Mbs of bandwidth to play with.

The only explanation that I can come up with is that the server has some sort of piss-poor packet management or some poo poo. Like the server is a bloated piece of poo poo.

But what do I know? I'm not a network engineer.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

WastedJoker posted:

I don't understand why the tech stuff above means a low ping is better.

someone explain it in terms a simpleton could grasp.
Ping represents the amount of time that it takes for your client to get a response from the server. So, you send a 5k packet to the server about your location in the game and any actions performed, which takes about 50ms. Then the server processes your 5k packet and sends you a packet telling you where all the other players on the server are and what they're doing, which takes about another 50ms. That's 1/10th of a second. This means that you know what all of the other players are up to with 1/10th of a second of accuracy. Your ping, in this case, is 50ms + 50ms = 100ms.

If your ping is 200ms, then your accuracy is only 1/5th of a second. With the way that :dice: is doing things, peg another 200ms of inaccuracy onto your reported ping, so 400ms. That's almost half a second of accuracy.

That's bad.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

Sandweed posted:

I keep getting killed by guys not even looking at me, I'm considering taking a break and waiting a few patches before trying this hot garbage again.
You might be waiting a very long time.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

alg posted:

Videos by youtube superstars about complex video game programming. These guys aren't qualified to discuss anything, they are just fishing for views. Let's compare the tickrate of a massive team game involving levelution and vehicles and projectile physics to Counterstrike some more though
Instead of attacking the person who made the videos and performed the analysis, you could try attacking the argument that they're making. That might be a good idea, and something for you to look into. You could, in preparation for your rebuttal, which I am certain will be well-reasoned, google ad hominem in order to broaden your mad debating skill set.

That being said -- if Quake 3 could handle a tickrate of 60 in a 16 player game in the late 90s when *many* players were on 56k, then why can't BF4 handle anything greater than a tickrate of 10 when broadband is how nearly all gamers play? Granted, the amount of data that needs to be transmitted has increased, and that surely plays a role... but discounting the whole tickrate argument as "this guy is a hobbyist, what does he know?" is just stupid. NS2 has a higher tickrate than BF4, and there's ALL SORTS of "levelution" type effects going on in there. Planetside 2 manages battles with hundreds of players at a time and the player experience is pretty loving good. Tribes had 32+ player games and lag was only an issue if I had really poo poo packet loss.

Think critically. Ok?

Edit: In most of the games I've listed, it's possible for a server admin to manually change the tickrate. Why is this not possible in BF4, do you think?

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Feb 12, 2014

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
Applied to DUNK as n0n01. Really looking forward to playing with some goons.

Also, I suck.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
Just out of curiosity, does anybody in this thread use Mantle exclusively? I've found that DirectX 11 is the better choice, because Mantle stutters. I run everything at HIGH on a 7850 with v-sync on at 60fps with rare drops below 60fps.

Also, I can't seem to stop using the SCAR-H. It's basically the only AR that I ever use. I'd like to use something else, but nothing else feels right to me.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
Some people take this game so drat seriously. It's like.. do you even have fun?

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
I'm tired of being on the mumble without a mic. What's a good, somewhat inexpensive mic (less than 20 bucks) that has a good range and decent audio quality? Preferably one that could be ordered from Amazon. Also, not USB.

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 15, 2014

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

DoctorStrangelove posted:

The one I bought because of babies complaining about my old one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000511XL/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Less than :10bux: after shipping. Don't expect to do serious recording with it but it's good enough for mumble. It is however not a usb mic.
I trust your judgement. Ordered. Thanks. Slow-rear end non-Prime shipping means I should have it in a week or so.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
Just applied to LLJK.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

n0n0 posted:

Just applied to LLJK.

My name is n0n01. :)

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
I finally get a mic and get it working, and for the first time ever there is literally nobody on the mumble.

Thanks for the suggestion of the mic, DoctorStrangeLove.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

n0n0 posted:

I finally get a mic and get it working, and for the first time ever there is literally nobody on the mumble.

Thanks for the suggestion of the mic, DoctorStrangeLove.
True to form, my cat ate through the new microphone cable. That didn't last long. Some day, I'll get to talk with other goons.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
It took me a good 2-3 minutes to learn how to use the server browser, and sometimes I'll apply some filters and it won't return any servers, but that's only because I've made a dumb mistake somewhere.

Personally, I'm glad this guy won't be playing with us. Stop talking to him. He might change his mind and come back. Do we really want that?

Edit: Remember back when we had to download patches ourselves, and install them ourselves? Or buying a game in a store at v1.0, and then having to download 1.0-->1.1-->1.2-->1.3-->1.31? poo poo like that? Man, how did any of us manage to continue gaming? Such inconvenience!

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 22, 2014

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
Ordered another mic. I'm going to coat this one with some kind of paralytic agent. Suggestions?

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

xyigx posted:

Wouldn't you just be better off with a wireless headset? Or I guess you could try and make it smell like a vets office somehow Lol. Supposed to be that clove oil does what you want for dogs so it may work on cats.(but really just call a vet and ask they may laugh but will probably know what to do)
I don't like wearing poo poo on my head. I'll probably just put it away after every use, and try to keep her away from it while I'm playing.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
Now that I have a mic, I never have anything to say.

Also, I crashed three times tonight, which was odd. Haven't had any crashes prior to these for at least a month, if not significantly longer than that. The first crash, I was using Mantle. The second crash was Direct3D.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
I suck.

Also, last night, while I was playing, my cat ate my new microphone's cord. WHILE I WAS PLAYING.

Anybody want a cat?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 29, 2014

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
Is there some sort of trick to downloading Dragon's Teeth? I have premium, but I can't seem to trigger the download.

Edit: Also, the Battlelog twitter states that Battlelog is up and running... but I get an error when I try to log in. "Something went wrong."

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

Deeters posted:

In Origin, right click on BF4, go to View Game Details, then right click on Dragon's Teeth and download.
Fantastic. Thanks!

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
Anybody have a reliable fix for when Battlelog decides to stop reporting the ping of servers? I'm tried everything that Google recommends, and none of it has worked. This applies to Chrome, Firefox, and Edge or whatever the gently caress Microsoft calls their web browser now.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

Chronojam posted:

Close it and restart your browser, completely and not just the tab; generally that fixes it.
Nope. Rebooted. Uninstalled Battlelog. Different browsers. Nothing seems to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
The single player campaign would be pretty interesting and fun, but the multiplayer game would have more in common with Battlefront (the new one) than Battlefield. How would the weapons be customizable? How could there be any more than just a few weapons to choose from? I dunno. It sounds like it could be awfully boring.

That being said, the whole trend of having a shitload of weapons to choose from and a shitload of ways to customize them is a relatively new trope in the shooter genre. BF1942 is still the best shooter I've ever played, and it didn't have a ton of weapons to choose from.

• Locked thread