Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So are there no Platoons anymore? Looking for an easy way to connect with other goons. I haven't tried the KFS server yet though, so that might be all I need.

:dice: hosed up and your bf3 platoons don't carry over nor can you create new ones. Yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Get non lovely internet since I downloaded it in 4 hours from origin. Otherwise you're basically hosed.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

nrr posted:

It's not my internet that's the issue. I get upwards of 2MB/s normally. Origin is giving me about 250k/s

I just got the 677MB patch at ~5+ MB/sec so I don't know man but something is hosed between your box and Origin's servers (probably local to your service).

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I just tried canted irons and some ruskie 4x. Talk about blocking my FOV, that poo poo got removed ASAP.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Zeike posted:

Guess you didnt play Spec Ops: The Line
Oh god what a bad game that was. Forced Moral "Choices", The Video Game

In BF4 news I have been crashing/locking client-side much more frequently today so that has been swell :shepicide:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Liberatore posted:

Loading speeds are limited by read speed. Install the game on a SSD if you want fast load times.

I have the same setup as I did for 3 which includes a SSD and I have noticed a large increase to load times. Bigger maps, higher res textures, you can only drop load times so far.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Anyone more technically minded know if it might be possible to sideload the BF4 commander app to a first gen kindle fire? Yes I realize the app isn't out yet but I'm curiously hoping damnit!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Possibly a dumb question but does the squad perk unlock you pick apply to the entire squad if you are the SL or is each squad perk set an individual choice?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Hambilderberglar posted:

I definitely feel an RPG-7 should be doing more to a boat than a "21 damage" popup before the miniguns turn on me and turn me into shredded meat. It's not an APC drat it.

The secret to killing them it to realize that it isn't an APC and that the gunners are exposed. Focus your fire on the back deck of the boat to slaughter the crew and it makes taking them down much easier. In my fantasy world I hope :dice: makes it so each side starts with 2 of the boats and removes the one at the northern most point. See how that plays out and then nerf the boat if having a few more out there for a more hectic battle doesn't even things out for both sides.

They also need to make the seadoos more controllable instead of "tap A" == hard 90 degree turn.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I am running 331.65 nvidia drivers, updated maybe 36 hours ago? I seem to be having bf4.exe locking up on me much more frequently. Something :dice: did or should I roll my drivers back?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Had a crash free hour of play, joined KFS, crashed after 10 minutes. Coincidence?

edit: gently caress :dice:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Tommy 2.0 posted:

What's the consensus on the PKP? I unlocked it and I have been going absolutely bonkers with it in hardcore TDM. I imagine the higher DMG has a lot to do with its ownage in hardcore.

It's my preferred LMG. Foregrip and holo sight + whatever. Keep it at 3-5 shot burst at med range, get a bit more open with it up close. Tear it up. Playing normal mode.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

What is the console command for showing FPS? TIA.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Over 21% quit rate, of which maybe 2% is my own :suicide:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Perestroika posted:

SLAMs are the best goddamn thing. They're so tiny and look just like random rubble that people will just drive straight into them again and again and again. And if they ever do get wise to that, just slap them on some walls near a corner or directly on your target :getin:

Speaking of the M-2 SLAM does anyone have some more defined stats on what causes them to activate/explode? I slapped 4 onto some sort of enemy IFV last night and it seemed like ~10 seconds passed without them detonating and then someone else actually killed the drat thing. Solid damage numbers would be awesome as well so I know how many I need to place on various vehicle types.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

I don't think they're supposed to go off if you put them on an enemy vehicle. You need to detonate them separately with something else in that case. Or have another enemy vehicle drive past I guess?

They're basically C4 with a proximity fuse. No idea how much damage they do though, I'd like to know that as well.

Ah I thought the vehicle itself would cause the detonation :downs:

Shoot it with a RPG next time after planting them I guess.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Perestroika posted:

-I haven't ever seen them go off against infantry, so that part of the battlelog description seems like a misdirection at the least.

This jives with my experiences on a live server last night where I had enemy infantry run down some stairs with my SLAM on it...no boom.

The no directional component is interesting, no need to try for the rear to get run over now.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

BadLlama posted:

When I installed this game I forgot Origin was installed to my harddrive so the game was downloaded and installed to my harddrive. I would like to put this game on my SSD and was curious if anyone has ran into the exact situation and has a shortcut for getting the files to the SSD such as a origin file transfer thing like the Steam one if it exists.

You can in fact use the steamtool for BF4. Disclaimer : I have seen that posted in the thread but not done it myself. However it is just creating junctions so it should work just fine after navigating to the install folder.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks for the patch dice, I lock up 10-15 minutes into any game now.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

So what primary weapon do people like for the attack boats? I am leaning towards the 30mm cannon as opposed to the burst fire cannon or the default 25mm.

I'd be interested in people's thoughts on the 30mm as well, I tried it once today and the drop and bullet speed seemed super lovely. Was it just me?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Twlight posted:

Does anyone have the motion blur User.cfg lines handy? I tried searching through the thread and I couldn't find em.
Is this what you're referring to? I got it from the thread earlier myself. Name a file user.txt to populate then change the file extension to .cfg

code:
perfoverlay.drawfps 1
worldrender.motionblurenable 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurFixedShutterTime 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurForceOn 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurMax 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurMaxSampleCount 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurQuality 0
The file should be placed in your Battlefield 4 main directory, so for me /Program Files (x86)/Origin Games/Battlefield 4

e:f,b refresh the thread I guess but at least mine was more thorough :colbert:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I love crashing from a server, rejoining, then getting balanced to the team I have put the effort into stomping because I was the last to join.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

:dice: just allowed me to spawn on my squadmate as he jumped from a building but saw fit not to give me a parachute, thanks

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

ScienceAndMusic posted:

So I am thinking about starting a server that is 48 players, and rotates like this:

conquest large -> conquest -> rush (both sides) -> conquest large -> conquest -> domination -> conquest large -> conquest -> obliteration.

Completely vanilla, normal. Standard respawn on soldiers and vehicles.

Thoughts?

Replace the 3x CQ large with 2x Obliteration and 1x Rush (both sides). Don't do rush on the lovely maps. Then watche play there all the time.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Is anyone else getting a battlelog error, "could not start voice, try again later"?

Just got it twice in a row (tried restarting - because my game locked up, in between attempts).

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

Golmud reminds me of Operation: Firestorm, it's this wide open expanse except around or 3 points. Really the only difference is you have barely any hills for people to hide and snipe from.

I prefer Firestorm but that could be because I don't like driving tanks in BF4, the mana pool of main gun rounds discourages aggressive/fast/continuous fighting and rewards sitting back and sniping like a bitch.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Why does this keep happening? :smith: What's the secret to not being on the losing team every single match?

Swap to the winning team as often as possible instead of gutting it out/trying to win by yourself on a poo poo team. Or be like me/you and lose a bunch :unsmith:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Uranium 235 posted:

Welp I'm now getting kicked for whoring the UCAV.

On the one hand, use it till :dice: nerfs it.

On the other hand, everything in the game that allows you to kill with, realistically, no chance of death for yourself is poo poo. See also: Realistic sniper rifles, BF3 Mortar, MAV bowling [on linear maps like metro]

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Updated the game and then game locked before I could even spawn on Shanghai/Oblit, restart game, spawn in MAA, game locks 500 yards down the road.

gently caress it I'll try another night when I have been drinking.

OneEightHundred posted:

Can I get banned for making an emblem of Chris Dorner's face?
Be sure to share it so we (I) can get banned also. kthx

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

socialsecurity posted:

I've been getting one shotted by rockets all day in tanks and I have no idea why, like one dude with a law blew me up several times not even lasered.

I like to do SLAMs + 1 RPG (when it decides to work) as an engy to insta-gently caress tanks. Maybe that has been done to you?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Haven't played in about a month. SLAMs still don't always work sound about right? AK5C, M416 and the PKP seem to be about the same as before. Any major weapon changes I should be aware of so I can killwhore more effectively?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I have China Rising since I pre-ordered the game. This is my first time trying to join 2 servers now with China Rising maps and neither server will load. Known issue with a workaround? Random chance/:dice:?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I will admit that despite the flaws I still find enjoyment in the game.

- SLAMs + anything moving or even hilarious stationary IEDs.
- As above, but with the dirtbike (yes I just used this) :getin:
- Good chopper pilot + attack chopper + Shanghai

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Jippa posted:

Once one team is stacked it's like a tidal wave. I'm like a broken record on this but it just kills a game dead.

In other games if you are a good players you can actually tip the balance of a losing team. Like in tf2 if I can persuade a team mate to go medic and follow me I can single handedly stop my team from being destroyed.

Once other players see you making progress they join the train and every one works together and it's really rewarding.

I suppose the equivalent in bf games is being a sky god, but even then you can't cap points you can just keep killing people/vehicles and hope your team pushes up and claims ground.

I don't think that this is fixable with the player counts being so high in BF3/4. Smaller max pop games like Counter Strike, Combat Arms, Tribes, TF2, etc can allow for one player to turn the tide. But how do you balance a game so that one person can take on the 32 on the other team?

Not possible.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

OneEightHundred posted:

Enemy Territory had a team shuffle mechanism that sorted all players by score and ran down the list alternating team assignments and it actually produced really balanced teams consistently.

Score is imperfect for a lot of reasons, but it's meaningful, especially because the main thing it measures is how much time someone spent doing productive things as opposed to being dead or farting around in a bush padding their KDR. If you're on a server that randomizes the teams at the end of the round, you can usually tell who's going to win the next round by just looking at the top 16 slots on the scoreboard side-by-side and seeing which team has more people outscoring their "counterpart" on the other team.

This is totally valid and I was partly going at the issue from a different angle and partly being a retard and not thinking of the problem and solution in this way.

However I think the point that it feels great to single handedly turn the tide in a game is a feeling that would be hard to get in a BF game unless you were just having an insanely good round due to the higher player counts.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Semi-related, or maybe not at all, but I just was reminded of this. The Flood Zone Conquest map (not Large) has really lovely capture points and I find myself wishing every time that I was playing on the large map with less players when it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

TubeStank posted:

What's the system (if there is one) behind who gets squad leader? I keep on seeing sub-20 ranks and they have no clue what they're doing.

The first person into the squad is the squad leader.

• Locked thread