Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Xander77 posted:

My first reaction is "gently caress yeah", but come to think of it...

What has Jane done since the first GK that was any good?

(I just played through the second GK, and... eh. The story is ambitious but highly predictable, is suffers from a huge variety of FMV game flaws and the actor direction is just awful. Gabe's actor spends half his scenes chewing on his own face and Grace turns up the "terrible bitch" dial up to eleven at every opportunity)

The actual writing was still excellent, some of the flaws of GK2 are due to cut chapters (The original plan had 9 chapters). Some of the flaws are due more to the tech at the time.

Gabriel Knight 3's flaws were again more due to the tech than the storytelling and writing.

I thought Gray Matter was really well written and engaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Veotax posted:

Ha! Had the exact same thing happen to me. Still have the replacement disc and stickers on my shelf. I was sent two Deep Time Unit stickers.

What's up, Deep Time buddy. :unsmith::hf::unsmith:

Might want to add Snatcher and Policenauts to the OP, as I don't think there are too many console adventure games, especially when the latter was released. I kind of wish Konami would pull a Falcom and release Policenauts over here with the fan translation and call it a day. I want to give you my money, Konami, drat it.

edit: wait, wasn't Retsupurae's Darkseed video done from a CD32 playthrough? I always thought that was kind of odd. (also if you haven't seen that video series, watch it, because holy poo poo it's hilarious)

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

The Kins posted:

Well, this came out of nowhere: Jane Jensen just announced that her studio's remaking Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers for iPad, Android, Mac and PC with Activision's help. This is the first image:

It'll be out next year for the 20th anniversary. There's an interview here.

No Tim Curry? But... But... he is Gabriel Knight. I am curious how many of the original cast they were able to actually get to work on this. The two big names I can think of off the top of my head I want to hear about are Mark Hamill and Michael Dorn.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN
New voice actors? Aww... That's disappointing that they don't have the original audio files hanging around. Still buying it day 1 and probably playing it through before day 2!

Xander77 posted:

(I just played through the second GK, and... eh. The story is ambitious but highly predictable, is suffers from a huge variety of FMV game flaws and the actor direction is just awful. Gabe's actor spends half his scenes chewing on his own face and Grace turns up the "terrible bitch" dial up to eleven at every opportunity)

Ignoring a few dumb puzzles that everyone always thinks about, GK3 was really good in my opinion. Interesting story and characters, fun metagame of playing "Where's the Treasure Hunter", and some neat puzzles. It's too bad that it suffers from early 3D graphics, and a few utterly ridiculous puzzles.

I'll agree with you on GK2, I didn't really enjoy it too much.

Gray Matter was also quite good. I wasn't a fan of the magic tricks they sort of shoehorned in, but it was still a good play.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

theblackw0lf posted:

The actual writing was still excellent, some of the flaws of GK2 are due to cut chapters (The original plan had 9 chapters). Some of the flaws are due more to the tech at the time.

Gabriel Knight 3's flaws were again more due to the tech than the storytelling and writing.

I thought Gray Matter was really well written and engaging.

Yup. GK3 is a very interesting game with a lot of detail and some top-notch puzzle solving. Personally I think it's the best game in the series. Unfortunately the graphics repulsed a lot of people, even though the engine as a whole is IMHO quite impressive in the way it integrates the third dimension into gameplay.

Gray Matter is simplified compared to Sierra games, but it's really well done and atmospheric. I liked it a lot.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

theblackw0lf posted:

Man that looks awesome.
The HD art (Pinkerton Road backers only, sorry) is even better!

quote:

If it sells well, this could help greenlight a GKIV
According to the latest backer update, that is the plan.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Xander77 posted:

Grey Matter. Moebius is looking pretty good, too. I also liked the third GK, despite its sometimes idiotic puzzles.

e: holy poo poo, this moved fast right now.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
Not sold on that art. Considering GK is my favorite adventure game ever, I'm torn.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

GK 1 is also one of my favourite adventure games ever, so I'm down with this. It's a huge bummer that Tim Curry isn't coming back, though. I assume Mark Hamill is out as well.

The jury is still out on Moebius, but as far as I'm concerned Jane Jensen has never made a bad game (granted I haven't played any of her photo hunt stuff, but I'm sure it's better than most of the other drek in that space).

Also putting down support for Gabriel Knight 3. That game gets a bad rap for that one truly terrible puzzle, but it's probably one of the most ambitious adventure games ever made. There were some seriously neat mechanics in there, and quite a bit of non-linearity, too. It reminds me a lot of The Last Express, but on a larger scale. It's better than 2, though I do also enjoy that one a lot - it's actually a really good educational game if you're interested in German history. I still hope to visit Neuschwanstein some day.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 8, 2013

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

The jury is still out on Moebius, but as far as I'm concerned Jane Jensen has never made a bad game (granted I haven't played any of her photo hunt stuff, but I'm sure it's better than most of the other drek in that space).

People have been giving Moebius poo poo (a) because backers have had access to an alpha and (b) because Cognition has awful art. Moebius is using an in house art director, not the Cognition team, and I think that people really don't realise how much polishing a game once it's content complete can change it (this is the big gotcha from letting backers see alpha/beta work I suppose, but on the whole I think it's a positive thing)

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Hope your Friday schedule has some free time

http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/8/4817284/telltales-the-wolf-among-us-episode-1-launches-oct-11

quote:

Telltale's The Wolf Among Us Episode 1 launches Oct. 11

The first installment in Telltale's latest episodic game, The Wolf Among Us, will launch for Xbox 360, Windows PC and Mac Friday, Oct. 11, IGN reports.

The Wolf Among Us is a prequel to Bill Willingham's comic book series, Fables. Players take on the role of Bigby Wolf — the human form of the Big Bad Wolf from classic fairy tales — as he investigates a murder within the community. The first episode, Faith, will be available for $4.99. The game's season pass, which includes access to episodes 2 - 5 for $14.99, will also be available on Xbox 360.

Pre-orders for The Wolf Among Us went live last week via Steam. The full season is currently available at a discounted price of $22.49; the price will rise to $24.99 following its release.

Release dates for the PlayStation 3 version have not yet been announced, though they're expected to be "just a few days after" the Xbox 360 and Steam launches.

Lobst
Mar 28, 2002

~HUG LIFE~
I replayed Gabriel Knight 1 recently and it was basically a perfect experience, so this remake doesn't exactly make sense to me. I'd be much more in favor of them re/de-making Gabriel Knight 2 and 3 into Wadjet Eye-style AGS games, so GK2 can have proper adventure game aesthetics and GK3 can finally be experienced without having to fiddle with the Sierra Home Architect interface.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I have high hopes. I like Fables a lot in spite of the creator's bullshit, and separated from him it has a lot of potential. I know it's not the same team as Walking Dead, but I can't wait to see what Telltale can pull off in the wake of that game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I don't mind Telltale's continued exploration of the Walking Dead style of game, but I hope that they don't forget the other rad poo poo they've done in the past. I want more Sam & Max and Monkey Island too. I don't want them to close the door on traditional adventure games.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'd love for Telltales to do more Monkey Island, but they may not have the rights any more. Even before the Disney buyout it might have just been a one-time contract, and after Disney, who knows what plans Mr. Mouse might have for Monkey Island. Especially given they already liberally mined it for their other fantasy pirate franchise. They might not want any competition/distraction on that score.

Anyway, I didn't realize the season was ten bucks cheaper on XBox than on Steam. Feeling a bit cheated there. Still pre-ordered it, anyway. I agree, decoupled from Bill Willingham, Fables is a great setting with a lot of potential (the Cinderella miniseries are good examples of that).

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

They never had the rights to Monkey Island. I'm pretty sure it was just a licensing deal, as with Jurassic Park. And with Disney taking it over it's probably all but impossible that it'll ever happen again.

They do own Sam & Max (or Steve Purcell does, anyway), so I bet that'll happen at some point.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Was I the only one who loved Zak Mckracken and the Alien Mindbenders by Lucasarts?

That game had 101 ways to make it unwinnable

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I'm sad that they never made a second season of Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People, because I legitimately thought it was one of their best efforts.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Manwithastick posted:

Was I the only one who loved Zak Mckracken and the Alien Mindbenders by Lucasarts?

That game had 101 ways to make it unwinnable

I loved that game, but yeah, it could be pretty drat frustrating. You could definitely tell they hadn't quite established their own pattern to break out of the Sierra paradigm.

macnbc posted:

I'm sad that they never made a second season of Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People, because I legitimately thought it was one of their best efforts.

Well, Homestar is basically dead now, right? I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

I just popped in here to say that LucasArts' The Dig is my favorite game of all-time. I played it as a kid, and I don't think I could have asked for anything better at that age because of the way it completely mesmerized me. The music, the characters, the style, the setting, the story, all of it was just perfect. No game has captured my heart quite like this one. It was just so imaginative! I really wish everyone could experience the game the same way I did.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

cloudline posted:

I just popped in here to say that LucasArts' The Dig is my favorite game of all-time. I played it as a kid, and I don't think I could have asked for anything better at that age because of the way it completely mesmerized me. The music, the characters, the style, the setting, the story, all of it was just perfect. No game has captured my heart quite like this one. It was just so imaginative! I really wish everyone could experience the game the same way I did.

Ditto. Aside from maybe Monkey Island 2, it's my favourite Lucasarts game. I really love how the whole thing basically revolves around you learning an alien language. Its focus on visual iconography and patterns is one of the most consistent and imaginative design ideas in the entire genre.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Ditto. Aside from maybe Monkey Island 2, it's my favourite Lucasarts game. I really love how the whole thing basically revolves around you learning an alien language. Its focus on visual iconography and patterns is one of the most consistent and imaginative design ideas in the entire genre.
A agree. Loved it. But got pretty frustrated at the light bridge section, since it required you to hold the mouse down in a point+click+adventure with no precedent for doing so.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

mateo360 posted:

No Tim Curry? But... But... he is Gabriel Knight. I am curious how many of the original cast they were able to actually get to work on this. The two big names I can think of off the top of my head I want to hear about are Mark Hamill and Michael Dorn.

Tim suffered a stroke in July of 2012 and is still working on recovery, apparently. And, frankly, I don't think his voiceover worked for the character even in the original.

GKIX has a website now with some more early screenshots. Well, at least that looks less arse than Moebius. GKI has aged pretty well but I don't think it's a bad thing that it'll get a graphical update for nineties-born babbies who're scared of pixels, if it gets them to play it.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Here's the explanation for the new voice overs in their FAQ:

quote:

Okay, new art makes sense, but why redo the voices?

Unfortunately the original recordings were lost and stripping the audio from the game did not result in acceptable quality. Because of this, rerecording was a necessity. The original actors are twenty years older—even if they were interested in reprising their roles, they probably wouldn’t sound like they did “back then”—and the cost of getting some of those actors wasn’t practical for the budget of this project. Recasting was our only option.

We turned to Bay Area Sound, a studio that does voice recording for a ton of adventure games including Telltale’s The Walking Dead, Sam & Max and Tales of Monkey Island as well as Jane’s game Moebius. (In other words, this isn’t their first time working on a reboot of a classic adventure series!) They helped us cast great actors true to the spirit of the original cast. The voices have already been recorded and Jane’s very happy with the results. We’ll reveal more details about the cast as the mid-2014 release approaches.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I must say, the semi-profile picture of Gabriel looks a bit androgynous for what sort of a character he's meant to be.

E: The rest of the batch does look pretty good, even though color saturation seems to be off in some of those scenes.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Lobst posted:

I replayed Gabriel Knight 1 recently and it was basically a perfect experience, so this remake doesn't exactly make sense to me. I'd be much more in favor of them re/de-making Gabriel Knight 2 and 3 into Wadjet Eye-style AGS games, so GK2 can have proper adventure game aesthetics and GK3 can finally be experienced without having to fiddle with the Sierra Home Architect interface.

From what I read, Activision didn't want to do a new GK game, so they're stuck with remaking for now. They're intending to bring in new gamers, so they can't really start in the middle of the series with GK2 and GK3. So that's why we're getting a remake of GK1. I dunno how well it'll work out (how did the Monkey Islands remakes do financially?), but any chance of getting new Gabriel Knight is OK in my book.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I don't know about the remakes, but I know TMI was Telltale's best-seller for the time, and a year or two after, so I'd imagine the remakes would do pretty well also given it's the same general audience. I feel like at one point the SMI remake was paired with TMI on Steam, too.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Dominoes posted:

A agree. Loved it. But got pretty frustrated at the light bridge section, since it required you to hold the mouse down in a point+click+adventure with no precedent for doing so.

For me it was that goddamn turtle skeleton!!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Lobst posted:

I replayed Gabriel Knight 1 recently and it was basically a perfect experience, so this remake doesn't exactly make sense to me.
Yeah I forgot to mention that as well. Replace the narrator (uuuuuuugh) and dial down Curry's smugness / overblown faux-accent, and the game is absolutely fine.

As to Telltale games... I just want to remind people that the first episode of The Walking Dead did not allow you to save manually and had an issue where it would arbitrarily delete your autosaves. As did every TWD episode after that one, while Telltale did absolutely nothing to address the problem (and you weren't allowed to skip any conversations or cutscenes if you were lucky enough to have the game work properly on a different computer). Telltale is the last company to deserve your money, as they care not at all about the quality of their games or the enjoyment of their customers.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

What have they not made a new season of Tales of Monkey Island? :(

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

I must say, the semi-profile picture of Gabriel looks a bit androgynous for what sort of a character he's meant to be.
It looks an awful lot like they were using GK2-era Dean Erickson as a reference for Gabriel, though I doubt that means they're using him for voice work given that he gave up acting years ago (though he DID appear in the Pinkerton Road kickstarter pitch video, so who knows?)

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Xander77 posted:

As to Telltale games... I just want to remind people that the first episode of The Walking Dead did not allow you to save manually and had an issue where it would arbitrarily delete your autosaves. As did every TWD episode after that one, while Telltale did absolutely nothing to address the problem (and you weren't allowed to skip any conversations or cutscenes if you were lucky enough to have the game work properly on a different computer). Telltale is the last company to deserve your money, as they care not at all about the quality of their games or the enjoyment of their customers.

I actually know someone (friend-of-a-friend) who worked at Telltale. They got fired under very shady circumstances, so that was enough for me to stop supporting them. I already owned Walking Dead at that point (and every other game they had made up to that point), but I think I'll be sitting out from Wolf Among Us.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Yeah I forgot to mention that as well. Replace the narrator (uuuuuuugh) and dial down Curry's smugness / overblown faux-accent, and the game is absolutely fine.

The save bug happened to me AND a friend, but that didn't stop Walking Dead from being a great game. I don't think Telltale has ever made a bad game (yes, I even liked Jurassic Park), so no.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Xander77 posted:

On top of all their many technical problems, I'd also like to point out that the "excellent writing" that Telltale is known for includes making "The guy who was the villain in the previous four games is EVIL!!!!" a major plot twist, thinking that the Soda Poppers are lovable, and putting melodrama and saving the universe at the climax of a Sam & Max game. Was the Walking Dead script even produced in-house? I doubt it, because it was pretty good.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Tunahead posted:

thinking that the Soda Poppers are lovable

I thought the Soda Poppers were deliberately grating and annoying.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
While I hope the Gabriel Knight remake is successful enough to make GKIV happen, I just really don't have an interest in a version of GK without Tim Curry's delightfully silly attempt at a Louisianan accent. Shame they couldn't do like the Monkey Island remakes did with the graphics, and have an option to switch between old and new audio, but I'm assuming the original VA contracts wouldn't have provisions for that.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Darthemed posted:

While I hope the Gabriel Knight remake is successful enough to make GKIV happen, I just really don't have an interest in a version of GK without Tim Curry's delightfully silly attempt at a Louisianan accent. Shame they couldn't do like the Monkey Island remakes did with the graphics, and have an option to switch between old and new audio, but I'm assuming the original VA contracts wouldn't have provisions for that.

They lost the original audio files and the ones pulled from the original game just aren't up to snuff for quality.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

macnbc posted:

I thought the Soda Poppers were deliberately grating and annoying.

Many people think that, which is why I keep a certain Telltale forums thread in my bookmarks. Within the thread in question, Chuck Jordan, game designer and lunatic, states that they had the Soda Poppers as villains in Season 2 as an attempt to be edgy because they thought everyone loved them, and were surprised at the fan reactions. Sadly the Telltale forums have since migrated and there's 138 pages of Sam & Max threads and a terrible search function, so this is going to take a while. Stay tuned for links.

EDIT: Man, that took forever:

Chuck posted:

The end of season 2 was really just a wacky misunderstanding. We thought the Soda Poppers were widely loved characters, and we'd be making the game edgier by turning them evil. It was a big surprise that a lot of people didn't like them, since they were so popular on the forums.
Source: http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/15536/qa-with-the-design-team/p16

Tunahead fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 9, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The Soda Popper's voices also didn't go well with the audio compression, which was pretty low bitrate to fit the enormous amount of dialogue along with the game data and music into a ~200MB file.

I don't really mind them, especially compared to some other (deliberately) annoying characters in games, but they did talk for absolutely ages. I was a disappointed to see them in later episodes, but I guess that Telltale can't really keep characters around for just one episode after going to the effort of casting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Tunahead posted:

Was the Walking Dead script even produced in-house? I doubt it, because it was pretty good.

It was, with the help of screenwriter Garry Whitta, but the two main guys behind the first season recently left Telltale and started their own company. So I have doubts about the continuing quality about the series.