Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Smirr posted:

Memoria owns. I'd go so far as to say that it's a good game, not just a good adventure game. Chains of Satinav is pretty mediocre and annoyed me a lot. It's not outright bad like Deponia, but I wouldn't really recommend it. But since it's a bundle it's a moot point anyway. If Chains of Satinav is not your cup of tea, don't give Memoria a miss because you think it's more of the same or that you need to know the story. It's not and you don't.

Yes, this is true. By the end of Chains of Satinav, I had a running count of amount of puzzles that involved creating something to get something else that was just out of reach. Memoria is way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Smirr posted:

Memoria owns. I'd go so far as to say that it's a good game, not just a good adventure game. Chains of Satinav is pretty mediocre and annoyed me a lot. It's not outright bad like Deponia, but I wouldn't really recommend it. But since it's a bundle it's a moot point anyway. If Chains of Satinav is not your cup of tea, don't give Memoria a miss because you think it's more of the same or that you need to know the story. It's not and you don't.

So the stories aren't that connected?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Renoistic posted:

So the stories aren't that connected?

Memoria is a direct sequel (but not just). You could read up on the plot of Chains of Satinav, of course.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I think the next Daedelic game is going to be their first great one. It's made by the creator of Memoria and looks beautiful:

quote:

In “The Devil’s Men” players will influence the storyline with every move and decision they make. Gamers will have to consider all the possible ways to solve a puzzle, because every decision might change the story.

Author Kevin Mentz, known for his critically acclaimed fantasy-adventure Memoria, invented with “The Devil’s Men” a world made of steampunk elements amidst a fictitious Victorian England. In classic adventure gameplay, challenging puzzles are cleverly combined to a thrilling criminal case.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

the black husserl posted:

I think the next Daedelic game is going to be their first great one. It's made by the creator of Memoria and looks beautiful:

I'm not sure Daedelic mimicking new Telltale is the way for them to go. Their point and click games are a million times better than when Telltale was trying to do them. Well except for Whispered World, that was an absolute pile of garbage.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 14, 2014

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'm not sure Daedelic mimicking new Telltale is the way for them to go. Their point and click games are a million times better than when Telltale was trying to do them. Well except for Whispered World, that was an absolute pile of garbage.

I don't think the choice and consequence is going to anything like Telltale. Did you play Primordia? It was really cool, you could solve puzzles in multiple ways, some easier than others and it would have an effect on the story later. I hope it will be more like that.

And hey, the Whispered World had great art and some decent puzzles. It was a lot better (like most German adventures) if you turned the voices off.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I guess if we're rating adventure games on how closely they adhere to cliched traditions. Daedalic games are always beautiful but the scenarios are either not that exciting or the writing really bad, whether that's a fault of the script or the localization.

If there's one thing Telltale is doing that literally nobody else is creating a sense of immediacy to the storytelling and scenarios. The traditional adventure game model is so static that it needs to rely on strong writing to be exciting. If that writing is lackluster then you're better off playing a hidden object game because that's what you're doing.

I just wish more designers would ape Maniac Mansion and Blade Runner over Monkey Island and King's Quest. Less object hunting and jokey observations, more dynamic scenarios and open ended design thank you.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Impressions of Quest for Infamy

First things first - I've been told that Heroine's Quest does everything QFI tries to do, only better and for free. I rather liked HQ, so I assume I agree with that statement throughout this write up, and I won't have to bring it up again.

It's slow. It's ever so slow. The prelude takes forever for all the animations to play out, and even when you start the game proper and turn the speed all the way up, you never sneak-zip across the screen a la QFG - every screen walked is a bit of a chore.

The sneak animation (and pretty much all animations and general look) appears to be copy-pasted from QFG. There's "homage" and then there's this.

You have to run up to every object you look at (or try to interact with). GENIUS game design custom-made to discourage exploration. Holy poo poo. Quite the first impression.

"This is a fine sword, even better because it was free". Well, that's not an exceptionally good joke, bu- "You stole it." Yeaaaaaaaah. Thank you, game. So much funnier that way.

"Gosh, what a sissy". "You could, but you don't want to smell like a dirty dirty whore". I see the humor is taking directions from Quest For Glory 3.5. Lovely.

I have no idea what voice the actor for the hero is trying to do. I think it might be "anti-hero without sliding into outright gruff cliche" but what it actually amounts to is "oddly strained".

Cemetery. One tombstone gets the "what a rotten way to die" reaction, the rest are literally "there's no point in getting to know them - they're quite dead". Of all the places to depart from gaming tradition in favor of absolutely nothing.

Nitpicky - the area is called "Volksburg" which is a take on... you get it by now. But you're actually told what all the nearby locales are called, and it's all generic stuff like "South Woods".

Our hero is apparently hobbit sized - or all the buildings are made for giants. The sort of perspective issue you wouldn't expect from... an actual game.

An obligatory gritty execution to welcome us into the town. So much gorier and thus edgier than QFG, you see.

The sheriff is apparently the main bad guy, and he's ever so growly. Growls are a fair replacement for actual acting, much less menace, right? (You're called in for a big menacing conversation with the big bad right after he executed a guy, and it's literally "sup? Drop by my office for a more indepth conversation when you have the time". Excellent use of time and effort)

Oh yeah, forgot to intro the story - having shtupped the baron's daughter, you flee into a small town ruled by , which is cut off from the world with the mountains on one side and a broken bridge on the other (what do you mean, "there are more than two sides?" Don't be ridiculous). Of course you're already making plans to settle down and start training as a brigand/rogue/warlock before you even know that you're stuck here.

Nobody has a lot of praise for the QFG combat system, but I think it combined player skill and player-character abilities adequately. The QFI battle system isn't arcadey at all and has absolutely no room for player skill - you just select your move, you and the (always so named) "Enemy" exchange attacks, keep going until one of you drops. And the early game enemies are incredibly tough, compared to your skills and equipment. At the very least, there's apparently no combat death - you just awaken on the same screen after a combat loss.

Sneaking doesn't seem to do anything when it comes to avoiding enemies. At 50/100, arriving on a screen with a random enemy encounter in sneak mode or at full run gives the exact same result - the enemy comes after you within three seconds.

You have to choose your class after the prologue by choosing a mentor. Two give you lame and annoying mini-games, one just sends you on the first quest without one. Huh.

I think I'll talk more about this game's sense of humor / what exactly "infamy" means if and when I finish it. Still, clicking on a fallen enemy has our Rogue urinate on it. What a card.

Actually, let me talk about the sense of humor for just a bit. Half the "funny" descriptions in this game are "this is a very impressive building / natural scene. Let me talk about how impressive it is in a mocking tone. But you don't really care / and then you fart". Fu-nny.

Oh wait - this game does have insta-deaths. For clicking the hand symbol on a horse. Apparently you try to steal it in full view of the owner (don't have that as a quest, nor can I think of a use for a horse). Brilliant.

There's actually a second cemetery, filled with undead and the obligatory tombstone funnies. Odd.

Peeing on things is apparently this Rogue's trademark. The game is so slow that even things that could have been somewhat funny are rather torturous as you wait for the animation to play out.

Seems like you can't get stat increases by continuously sneaking around once you hit 50. Running is a bit faster though, so that's nice.

An LSL reference right after I finished that game. Hah.

Just to cement the utter lack of taste on display, there's a Doctor Who reference. Joy.

Closed the game (quitting properly) to check something in the instruction manual. Trying to restart the game gives me a "the app is still running" message, and I can't seem to find it in Task Manager.

Edit - Also, this.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 15, 2014

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Yuck. Thanks for confirming my impressions from the screenshots.

I hope that Mage's Initiation (AGD's QFG-like coming next year) is good. It looks like it has the potential to be the best of this batch. The game coming from the Coles might be interesting, but I'm not sure if it will ever actually be released. I don't regret backing the kickstarter though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Those simple, cartoony characters look really out of place on those detailed backgrounds.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Tiggum posted:

Those simple, cartoony characters look really out of place on those detailed backgrounds.

Here it doesn't bother me actually; that's how it is in animated films.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Wow, I gave up on that piece of poo poo after 5 minutes. Dunno how you lasted as long as you did.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

I'm really not a fan of Daedalic stuff, though I have started playing their games lately out of lack of point and click alternatives, but drat that background art looks good! Not expecting much from story/charactes, but graphically that's really, really sweet.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

They've also licensed The Pillars of the Earth recently.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Tiggum posted:

I'm more concerned about his tiny, tiny feet. Poor lad, it can't be easy to walk with those.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

I just hope it gets a good localization, because I don't think any localization errors in German adventures games have ever, ever been fixed.

I wonder what would happen if a German adventure game company did a Kickstarter to fix the localization of at least one of its games, including re-recorded lines of voice acting.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

BiggerJ posted:

I just hope it gets a good localization, because I don't think any localization errors in German adventures games have ever, ever been fixed.

I wonder what would happen if a German adventure game company did a Kickstarter to fix the localization of at least one of its games, including re-recorded lines of voice acting.

Depends on the rewards. Offering a copy of the game is kind of pointless assuming that everyone who is interested in a redub has already played it before.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh man, oh man, the end of Episode 4 of Wolf Among Us. I think I picked the absolute best choice to end it on.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Crosspost from the kickstarter thread

For all your KS adventure needs- at the moment there are 5 (five) point and click projects on Kickstarter. In order of relevancy:

Thimbleweed Park - 153% funded with 33 hours to go and looking real good, in all ways possible (except if you're not into 1987 graphics). I at least am 100% certain it'll come out in time and be great, it's Ron Gilbert after all.

Johnny Rocketfingers 3 - 22% funded with 32 days to go, trending towards 48% of goal. I'm skeptical it'll make it, the asking goal is huge for a flash game.

Viktor - 24% funded with 62 hours to go. It ain't looking good for the Austro-hungarian boar dude.

Absent 2 7% funded with 18 days to go, trending towards 52% of goal. Graphically I'm not convinced to say the least. Haven't played the previous game.

Dog Business - 47% funded with 43 days to go. Then again, its goal is a hundred bucks and there are no graphics, no updates, no comments, no nuffin.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Just got around to trying out Violett today, and I don't get this game at all. I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing or what's going on. By clicking on every hotspot multiple times I eventually managed to trap a fly in a bottle. I have no idea why I did that though. Contrasts with Journey of a Roach, which also has no dialogue, but still manages to convey what's happening and what you're trying to achieve, whereas this game just doesn't seem to at all.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Play Violet instead, duh. (Use the Play Online button in the upper right corner of the screen.)

Also, apparently they're releasing a slightly polished up version of Outcast on Steam for 5,99 soon.

quote:

Outcast 1.1 has been recompiled from the original source code. It still using the original voxel technology but it comes with following enhancements: the voxel rendering is now multithreaded for higher performance, the software meshes benefit of bilinear filtering, part of the HUD have been redesigned, skies have been painted in high-resolution, it natively supports Xbox pad, it includes a user friendly Controller configurator, it works properly on various resolutions, up to 1080p, it works in fullscreen or windowed, it features a new launcher, and a significant number of bugs fixed.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 18, 2014

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

90 minutes left of Thimbleweed Park. Anyone who doesn't like the art style not backed it yet ?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Nobody Interesting posted:

90 minutes left of Thimbleweed Park. Anyone who doesn't like the art style not backed it yet ?

I've decided to unback it. I am curious as to what the end result to be, but no so much as to actually give money to it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Telltale's making an episodic Minecraft game.

Yup.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Waffleman_ posted:

Telltale's making an episodic Minecraft game.

How the mighty have fallen.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

macnbc posted:

Into a vat filled with money, I suspect.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It should make them more money than all their projects put together.

Traveller's Tales/Telltale: one makes licensed Lego games the other makes licensed adventure games and it couldn't have worked better for them.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 18, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If it's got the same tone as their earlier work, it might not be bad. They could stand to do a comedy. A good one, not Borderlands.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

macnbc posted:

I don't know why some people think this; pretty much all of Telltale's licenses have gotten the "oh no how horrible" treatment (including Walking Dead).

Waffleman_ posted:

If it's got the same tone as their earlier work, it might not be bad. They could stand to do a comedy. A good one, not Borderlands.

Tales from the Borderlands is fantastic.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm mostly basing my opinion on the humor of the traditional Borderlands games, which is obnoxious. Tales might be better.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

mycot posted:

I don't know why some people think this; pretty much all of Telltale's licenses have gotten the "oh no how horrible" treatment (including Walking Dead).

Well, this would be their first game that's based on a property that doesn't even have a narrative.

But I'm sure they know what they're doing, at least to some degree.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The developer of Remember Me's new game, Life is Strange, just got a release date and trailer, January 28th. Full season is 20 bucks, Episode 1 is 5. Being cautiously optimistic with this one because from everything I've hard about Remember Me it would have been much better as an adventure game so it seems the devs took that criticism to heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jloyb3n9FPQ

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Accordion Man posted:

The developer of Remember Me's new game, Life is Strange, just got a release date and trailer, January 28th. Full season is 20 bucks, Episode 1 is 5. Being cautiously optimistic with this one because from everything I've hard about Remember Me it would have been much better as an adventure game so it seems the devs took that criticism to heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jloyb3n9FPQ

Looks good. I wish it wasn't episodic though. Episodic means the Groundhog-Day-ness will be rather limited in scope. I'd love a big rear end intricate time loop adventure game.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Megazver posted:

Well, this would be their first game that's based on a property that doesn't even have a narrative.

But I'm sure they know what they're doing, at least to some degree.

I'm just miffed that people seem to brighten up the memories of how past games were received when they're retroactively recognized as good.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Megazver posted:

Play Violet instead, duh. (Use the Play Online button in the upper right corner of the screen.)

Also, apparently they're releasing a slightly polished up version of Outcast on Steam for 5,99 soon.

This is the best news ever. I loved Outcast when it was released and have been wanting to replay it for a long time.

Star fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 19, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I imagine the actual combat in Outcast won't hold up, but the art somehow still looks really cool and it has one of the best soundtracks ever. For $5 you can definitely do worse. I'm definitely gonna try and play it again.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

It's worth mentioning that Outcast on GOG got updated to the same version, so if you happen to own it there, there's no need to re-buy just because of this.

The screenshots do look really cool. Actual texture filtering!

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Now all I need is an updated Blade Runner game.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Star posted:

Now all I need is an updated Blade Runner game.

this. high resolution, maybe even new textures and thats pretty much it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
As an FYI, Nordic Games will be leaving GOG's catalog next week.
They are running a last call sale on all Nordic titles this weekend.

Adventure titles included in the sale are Dark Fall 1 and 2 (both of which I recommend), The Raven, The Book of Unwritten Tales, and Jack Keane 2 nothing else of worth.