Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Mr Underhill posted:

:agreed: with most of this (Full Throttle verb coin is kickass!) with one exception: I love it when I'm using things the _wrong_ way and the game comments on how dumb that was, but specifically. It's a lot of work (and a lot of voice acting, sheesh) - It might come from me being horrible at, if enthusiastic about adventure games, and ultimately resorting to using everything on everything every once in a while(hey, we all did it!), cause the same response over and over again is the number one breaker of the credible world illusion for me. I haven't yet played through them but I know The Ben There Dan That series does specific responses like that, hats off to those guys.

I'm a verb coin guy myself - an examine and a use/pick up/talk to is ideal to me. I know it makes more sense to simply map those to left/ right click, but I notice in games using this latter scheme I tend to mostly go directly left click and miss out descriptions a lot. Must be something about the visual representation of an examine icon that makes me wanna use it, I guess. Anyone else weird like that?

Edna & Harvey: the Breakout might be a very ugly and unpolished game, but I'll always be impressed by the insane number of different responses you can get for trying to use the wrong items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Arsenic Lupin posted:

BrokenAge is really pretty, but I'm finding the puzzles on the girl side very frustrating. I'm up in the clouds right now, and all I've got is a peach, a gold egg, the cloud shoes, and a ladder. The guy with the beard doesn't want the peach, nor does the guy stuck on the twig, the cute kid, the shoemaker lady, nor the sad not-sacrifice. Can anybody suggest a hint?
If you haven't gotten past this yet, here are a few hints in order of hinty-ness:
Is there somewhere you haven't been able to reach yet? Think the ladder. It looks like you can't use it on the clouds.
What other item do you have that could help with that? Try combining a couple of the items, you might be able to make a modified version of something.
And here's the outright answer: Combine the cloud shoes with the ladder, giving you a cloud-shoe ladder and letting you climb the ladder up near that one bird's nest in the starting area.

Renoistic posted:

Edna & Harvey: the Breakout might be a very ugly and unpolished game, but I'll always be impressed by the insane number of different responses you can get for trying to use the wrong items.
I was constantly in awe of how much work was put into that. There are so many little detailed touches, you can also do things like write on almost every blank surface once you find a marker, and use scissors to cut up every malleable object you come across.

The game gets self-referential about it a few times too (these lines are all voice acted):

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

If you haven't gotten past this yet, here are a few hints in order of hinty-ness:
Is there somewhere you haven't been able to reach yet? Think the ladder. It looks like you can't use it on the clouds.
What other item do you have that could help with that? Try combining a couple of the items, you might be able to make a modified version of something.
And here's the outright answer: Combine the cloud shoes with the ladder, giving you a cloud-shoe ladder and letting you climb the ladder up near that one bird's nest in the starting area.

Thank you so much! In this specific case, the problem was that you had to jump down through a particular cloud hole to solve the last problem and get to another world, where the peach was useful. I had to look it up because the game had trained me to avoid that mechanic.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012
Almost all the wadjet eye games are on sale on steam for the next week, the discounts are decent.

Not wadjet eye, but I found an interesting looking one called Drawn: The Painted Tower, has anyone played it?

(It's not so much the price that is holding me back, as the fear that I will get an hour in only to discover that it is enragingly terrible.)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dongsturm posted:

Almost all the wadjet eye games are on sale on steam for the next week, the discounts are decent.

Not wadjet eye, but I found an interesting looking one called Drawn: The Painted Tower, has anyone played it?

(It's not so much the price that is holding me back, as the fear that I will get an hour in only to discover that it is enragingly terrible.)

Guess what? Valve implemented a very good refund system so if you get 119 minutes into the game and find it terrible you can get your money back in 24-48 hours!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Dongsturm posted:

I barely got into the game and ran into a lovely piece of pixel hunting and a glitch that made a puzzle unsolvable. Skip it.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Thank you so much! In this specific case, the problem was that you had to jump down through a particular cloud hole to solve the last problem and get to another world, where the peach was useful. I had to look it up because the game had trained me to avoid that mechanic.
Whoops, sounds like you were past the part I gave hints about then. I do remember being stuck on that part as well. Yeah Act I had a few problems with puzzles like that, I thought the ones in Act II were a lot more obtuse though.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

al-azad posted:

Guess what? Valve implemented a very good refund system so if you get 119 minutes into the game and find it terrible you can get your money back in 24-48 hours!

It's a legit question, no need to be :viggo: about it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Megazver posted:

It's a legit question, no need to be :viggo: about it.

Not trying to be smug, just suggesting that Steam's refund period and the average length of adventure games are a perfect match.

This is probably the most divisive video game genre, just look at any single page to see how people can be dramatically split on a single game. If you're on the fence there's no harm in playing a game for an hour. You'll probably know if you like it or not within that time.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012
Thanks guys, I had totally forgotten Steam's new(ish) refund policy.

Also thanks for the warnings about bugs and pixel hunting, I'll make sure I try it when I have a couple of hours free, rather than my usual strategy of buying 5 at a time on sale.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Renoistic posted:

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I was constantly in awe of how much work was put into that. There are so many little detailed touches, you can also do things like write on almost every blank surface once you find a marker, and use scissors to cut up every malleable object you come across.

Yeah, I've known about the game for a while now but I can't seem to find the time to play them anymore these days, I'll just watch (well, mostly listen to) a let's play while I work and if I'm hooked I'll grab it for later on. Haven't played a lot of Daedalic stuff, I was super hyped for Deponia when it came out because of the great graphics but it definitely wasn't my cup of dubious, quasi-mysoginistic soup.

e: crosspost from the Kickstarter gaming thread:

New Space Venture videos! Nov 30th release date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09i9cDJ3RxM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNlLgx2QIog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_3RCSUgwcM

Mr Underhill fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 8, 2016

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

The Witness is a gem. Games this well-designed and clever don't come out often.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yo Firewatch is rad, check it out.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
Well I just finished Monkey Island 2 and I must say

Ending spoilers:
I am really not a fan of this whole "just a kid with a vivid imagination thing", I really enjoyed thinking this was a weirdly anachronistic pirate world and I am glad they added the extra bit to retcon it in case they made more, and they did. And thank loving god for that. gently caress anyone who says the other games are not canon because Ron Gilbert left.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Highblood posted:

Ending spoilers:
I am really not a fan of this whole "just a kid with a vivid imagination thing", I really enjoyed thinking this was a weirdly anachronistic pirate world and I am glad they added the extra bit to retcon it in case they made more, and they did. And thank loving god for that. gently caress anyone who says the other games are not canon because Ron Gilbert left.

It seemed pretty obvious that LeChuck's loving with him rather than being played straight to me.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

True but according to someone who worked on the game, it was supposed to be legit, and the hints that LeChuck was only loving with him were only there as a failsafe "just in case" they made more

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Even in the first game there were a few things that could be construed as hints at the MI2 revelation, like the pirates on Melee Island telling you to just play along with the lingo.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
I love Schafer and I love Gilbert but I still prefer MI3 over the first two. I know, I know, shun the unbeliever... All three are amazing, but MI3 just clicked with me, especially visually.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

MI3 was fantastic but I will always prefer MI2. Mostly because of the way the world opens up in the second act. Still the most fun I had in exploring a world.

I have to admit that I haven't really played many adventure games made after 1999 and I'm not a big fan of the Telltale style. So can anyone recommend me a "modern" adventure game (modern = after 1999) that has the same fun kind of exploration and dialogue? Preferably something comedic.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Feb 10, 2016

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

John F Bennett posted:

MI3 was fantastic but I will always prefer MI2. Mostly because of the way the world opens up in the second act. Still the most fun I had in exploring a world.

I have to admit that I haven't really played many adventure games made after 1999 and I'm not a big fan of the Telltale style. So can anyone recommend me a "modern" adventure game (modern = after 1999) that has the same fun kind of exploration and dialogue? Preferably something comedic.

Definitely give Broken Age a try. It's not laugh-out loud comedy like the Lucas classics were but it's a hell of a well made game, and it's a joy to experience.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I love MI 2's ending because it's so surreal and comes out of nowhere. I actually also really like the way they explain it in 3. Overall 2 is probably my favourite also, 3 could've gotten there if the ending wasn't so bad/barely there though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Out of all the "it was a dream!" endings in entertainment history, Monkey Island's was one of the most believable because I can totally understand a young child losing himself at Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Highblood posted:

Ending spoilers:

I think Ron Gilbert is pretty much the only person who says that, and that is why he must never get back the rights to monkey island. (Well that and he also has made nothing but crap for years.)

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think Ron Gilbert is pretty much the only person who says that, and that is why he must never get back the rights to monkey island. (Well that and he also has made nothing but crap for years.)

Really? Crap? Really?

Anyways, here's a demo to an adventure game about killing Hitler: http://sebastianfrankgames.com/games#episode0

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mr Underhill posted:

I love Schafer and I love Gilbert but I still prefer MI3 over the first two. I know, I know, shun the unbeliever... All three are amazing, but MI3 just clicked with me, especially visually.

I get you, I go back and forth between having MI1 or 3 as my favorite, but 3 definitely has some of the best visuals of any game. It's a shame the late 90s proposal to remake MI1 with MI3's art style got shut down by LucasArts.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Oh man, mi1 with mi3 graphics would be the loving best.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I'd say Monkey Island 3 was easily my favorite of the series, but I hate that they rehashed the insult swordfighting from the original—it just kills the game's pacing. It was tedious the first time around, but at least it was novel and funny then!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

Yo Firewatch is rad, check it out.

I concur. If you had any like at all for Gone Home then Firewatch is right there with it.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Rollersnake posted:

I'd say Monkey Island 3 was easily my favorite of the series, but I hate that they rehashed the insult swordfighting from the original—it just kills the game's pacing. It was tedious the first time around, but at least it was novel and funny then!

I thought the insult sword fighting in MI3 was better, IIRC it was the first to add the rhyming element, which both made it a little bit easier and (imo) a hell of a lot funnier.

You're as repulsive as a monkey in a negligee! Still cracks me up.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Gog have a Poirot game on offer. I love me some Poirot, but it seems like a style of game I've never really played - are they any cop?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr Underhill posted:

I thought the insult sword fighting in MI3 was better, IIRC it was the first to add the rhyming element, which both made it a little bit easier and (imo) a hell of a lot funnier.

You're as repulsive as a monkey in a negligee! Still cracks me up.

I look that much like your fiance'? :stonk:

I liked it better in MI3 too. That and the song :allears:.

Besides, your looks would make pigs nauseated.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I really liked the way Monkey Island 2 ended. And that they were hinting about it during the whole game and slowly leading up to it in the final part, instead of throwing it as a cheap sudden twist in the end.

But I admit that it's not my favorite game of the series, because its middle part, where they open up most of the islands to the player, quickly became tedious - and some of the puzzles were way too meta for my taste; yes, I know the series does that - and it pulls it off way most of the time, but sadly not all the time.

Wrt Monkey Island 3. I liked the art. I didn't think the series needed a sequel (and by extension I don't really believe there was an original plan for a sequel by Gilbert either, and if there was I am not really sorry it is not being made). But, MI3 became boring for me towards the middle and later parts of the game.

My favorite of the series is still The Secret of Monkey Island. It has original ideas, good humor, the chapters are short and to the point and it does not overstay its welcome.

Monkey Island 4 is still the worst for me. I never finished that one. I kept losing my will to play more by the end of chapter one or something. I've watched full playthroughs of it, though, so I know what was in store down the line - and I am kind of glad I didn't bother with it more.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I like the insult sword fighting in 3 way more than in the first game because it feels like there's a little bit more logic to it, even if you're required to lose a bunch.

Edit: God, 4 is atrocious, I hate it so much. I spent like 5 years going back and forth trying to finish it and every time I came back I hated it more. It's just awful in every conceivable way (well the voice acting is like the one good thing about it), people often point out Monkey Kombat as the main culprit but really all the puzzle design is garbage and the writing is so goddamn bad. It's a completely irredeemable game for me. I'm glad the Telltale game came out, because although it wasn't spectacular by any means, it did at least give some satisfying closure to the series and it could go out on a note that wasn't just pure despair.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Feb 11, 2016

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Hakkesshu posted:

Edit: God, 4 is atrocious, I hate it so much.

I laughed at one single joke in 4 and only the lack of a microwave prevented me from microwaving the disks when I hit Monkey Kombat.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

gschmidl posted:

I laughed at one single joke in 4 and only the lack of a microwave prevented me from microwaving the disks when I hit Monkey Kombat.

Whoever thought Monkey Kombat should be randomized, and require three-input chains for every possible stance transition, has a special place in Hell reserved for them. Likely involving a Sierra adventure game.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
I couldn't bring myself to play MI4. Just couldn't - MI3 was so incredibly good, it felt like a blasphemy. I think I played all of 15 minutes of MI4 and I gave up on it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr Underhill posted:

I couldn't bring myself to play MI4. Just couldn't - MI3 was so incredibly good, it felt like a blasphemy. I think I played all of 15 minutes of MI4 and I gave up on it.

Good news; it works in Residual now if you want to subject yourself to it again :shepface:.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I feel like MI4 being terrible is my fault, because as I was holding the box in the store I was explaining to my friend the fact that Lucasarts hadn't put out a bad adventure game.

I apologize to everyone.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

One of my favorite things about Tales of Monkey Island is that while it liberally references the first three games, I don't think it has a single reference to MI4.

Hakkesshu posted:

It's just awful in every conceivable way (well the voice acting is like the one good thing about it),

I don't know... it had the American Elaine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

I don't know... it had the American Elaine.

Yeah even that isn't great (I seem to recall finding Herman Toothrot's voice actor annoying as well), but I do legitimately love the voice of the Australian real estate guy, he's like the one thing about that game I think is decent

Ignatius Cheese is pretty good too, but I just like W. Morgan Sheppard a lot