Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Have to check that out. I've been meaning to watch Mr. Robot. Lifeline's late half was real neat once the horror and desperation is established and the main character stops talking like a 16 year old on Livejournal. Nightschool could improve on the formula but then again the character in Lifeline has almost the same speech style as Ren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Has TTG patched Batman to make it actually run yet?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, I'm also curious about that. I really want to play it, but no way I'm going to spend money on it until it's actually playable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well I recently played Gray Matter, and it was... kinda okay. It's an interesting-enough story, but David's chapters leave you wondering what the hell you need to do next half the time, and the final act goes boxers-on-head over the top insane for a stretch with The Daedalus Club funhouse basement puzzles after a fairly-grounded story. I did like that both character perspectives had valid approaches for figuring out what the hell was going on with each Experiment though, just enough that it looked like the reveal could just maybe slide towards either way at the end.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well I recently played Gray Matter, and it was... kinda okay. It's an interesting-enough story, but David's chapters leave you wondering what the hell you need to do next half the time, and the final act goes boxers-on-head over the top insane for a stretch with The Daedalus Club funhouse basement puzzles after a fairly-grounded story. I did like that both character perspectives had valid approaches for figuring out what the hell was going on with each Experiment though, just enough that it looked like the reveal could just maybe slide towards either way at the end.

That game looked fairly promising to begin with but the ending totally ruins it. Both the puzzles and the story just get incredibly dumb for no good reason. It was never going to be great, but it could have been decent enough that you'd overlooked the flaws, but no.

For me, the worst thing was that the entire story laid the groundwork for a finale where the protagonist discovers that all the mysterious goings-on were just clever tricks and reveals how they were done but instead they just went Nope, magic's real. The end.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tiggum posted:

That game looked fairly promising to begin with but the ending totally ruins it. Both the puzzles and the story just get incredibly dumb for no good reason. It was never going to be great, but it could have been decent enough that you'd overlooked the flaws, but no.

For me, the worst thing was that the entire story laid the groundwork for a finale where the protagonist discovers that all the mysterious goings-on were just clever tricks and reveals how they were done but instead they just went Nope, magic's real. The end.

Magic being real wasn't entirely out of the blue, it was the crux of David's perspective that something genuinely weird was going on after all. It was just very, very, badly executed.

I kinda liked the watercolour-esque semi-animated cutscenes though.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Is there any news on when Obduction is supposed to come out? I thought it was this week but I've heard absolutely nothing so far...

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Pathos posted:

Is there any news on when Obduction is supposed to come out? I thought it was this week but I've heard absolutely nothing so far...

Well, it should be today (Aug 24th) according to Steam and GOG (and I'm told that Cyan had confirmed that in a backer's update or letter).

Also, Rand's tweet indicatates that they are ready.
https://twitter.com/randemtweets/status/768123757038678016

But it is weird that I am struggling to find any news or promotional stuff about the game's imminent release.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

AbstractNapper posted:

Well, it should be today (Aug 24th) according to Steam and GOG (and I'm told that Cyan had confirmed that in a backer's update or letter).

Also, Rand's tweet indicatates that they are ready.

But it is weird that I am struggling to find any news or promotional stuff about the game's imminent release.

Here's the thing I've noticed about the entire Obduction kickstarter: Cyan celebrates not being beholden to a publisher with this game, without realizing that there are things that they have to do themselves now that publishers specialize in.

Like marketing. And communication.

I enthusiastically backed Obduction but they've had one of the most opaque development cycles I've ever seen out of a crowdfunded game. Nobody has ever known how far along they are. They show pretty much everything to the press and expect backers just to find it out there.

Now they seem to expect that the game will sell purely out of word-of-mouth. I feel like it's going to sell like 5 copies and they're going to be totally confused as to what happened.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, I just stumbled across this game on Steam looking at new releases. I had no idea Obduction existed before today, and I messaged a buddy of mine and he had the same reaction.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I was aware of it, but it was frustrating to find any useful info about the release date after the second delay. Cyan has a much lower profile than they did during the CD-ROM era. I'm also surprised it's only $30. Will give it a try when I get home from work.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Book of Unwritten Tales 2:

Okay, I'm in Chapter 4. I have two of the three items I need to finish the chapter objective (The Book of the Dead and the Spark of Life). Unfortunately, I am stuck outside the Red Palace, with the ape on guard. He has the key to the palace, but I can't fight him. Nate is the only one allowed to be on the island, and none of my inventory items work there: Fast Travel Map, Exotic Dancer Outfit, Mad Hatter Disguise (Hat + neckerchief), White Powder, Dried seeds, Receiving Mirror, Old Notebook (Directions to Lorem Ipsum), Stone Slab (Pyramid Instruction manual), Book of the Dead, Studded Hammer, Chisel, Transformed Telephone.. None of those things can be combined with each other. I only have two locations available, the place where I'm stuck and Lorem Ipsum. I've just finished everything I needed to do in the latter place and see nothing else I can do there now.

I have no idea what to do.

EDIT: Oh right. There was one other item on one of my other characters I had completely forgotten about.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 24, 2016

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Here's a hint for Obduction: If you move towards something and feel like your vision is all blurry, and then you stop and things become clear again, try turning down AA to medium.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Well, good to know that I can ask about the status of a game and thereby cause it to come out 8 hours later.

Also, jesus gently caress is this game beautiful. Wow. Given the relatively small budget and Cyan's petering out lately I kind of had lower expectations of Obduction but... Wow. It's absolutely gorgeous.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

Pathos posted:

Well, good to know that I can ask about the status of a game and thereby cause it to come out 8 hours later.
You should ask about the status of Psychonauts 2.

Anyway, I was only able to get a couple hours in to Obduction last night. Boy is it gorgeous! I'm also kinda glad that it has some Myst-style FMV. The game still has a few bugs, though (having the wrong thumbnails for photos is fairly annoying). Also, I'm guessing that some debug shortcuts were left in the game (press R when looking at some water).

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Pathos posted:

Also, jesus gently caress is this game beautiful. Wow. Given the relatively small budget and Cyan's petering out lately I kind of had lower expectations of Obduction but... Wow. It's absolutely gorgeous.

Yeah, tbh I wasn't all that impressed by the trailer but it's pretty stunning when you're in the game. Anyone playing it in VR?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'll probably play Obduction this weekend once people actually realize it's out and start reviewing it.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

exquisite tea posted:

I'll probably play Obduction this weekend once people actually realize it's out and start reviewing it.

It's actually got a handful of reviews out and they're pretty positive.

I'm waiting until after Labor Day personally. Every single crowdfunded game I've seen has had some sort of massive unforeseen bug turn up the first day or two of release and a patch hurriedly deployed. I'm waiting to see if that happens with Obduction too.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

macnbc posted:

It's actually got a handful of reviews out and they're pretty positive.

I'm waiting until after Labor Day personally. Every single crowdfunded game I've seen has had some sort of massive unforeseen bug turn up the first day or two of release and a patch hurriedly deployed. I'm waiting to see if that happens with Obduction too.

Some people are getting stuck in the first two minutes as an event does not trigger. I restarted and it then worked.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Bubbacub posted:

Yeah, tbh I wasn't all that impressed by the trailer but it's pretty stunning when you're in the game. Anyone playing it in VR?

Wanna say the VR version is still delayed for the moment.

I played for a few hours with my dad and had a good time. :3: Of course leave it to him to go on a vacation right when there's alien worlds to be explored. :argh:

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

Wanna say the VR version is still delayed for the moment.

here's what they said in the backer email:

Cyan posted:

The VR (Rift) version of Obduction is coming soon. Sorry for the slight delay, but it needs a bit more optimizations and some UI polishing. The good news is that your code will also give you the full VR version. Everyone who gets the game will get the VR version. No questions asked, no hidden fees or handling charges. ;) We don’t have an exact ship date for it, yet. We’ve got an update already underway that we’ll be testing as a possible candidate for VR release. We’ll keep you updated on the VR progress.

Doesn't say anything about what happens if you didn't back the project. I would assume those people who bought the game without backing would also get the VR version upgrade but I don't know for sure.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Oh man Obduction is just as satisfying so far as the original Myst, and I haven't even left the main hub you start out at yet except to peek at the two seed worlds that seem to be locked off at the moment.. My one complaint besides the random load stuttering is that some controls aren't immediately intuitive took me longer than i'd care to admit that you had to hold down the generator switch to prime it, and that you can keep running the mine cart/blue laser doohickey through track switches set to the other direction

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
I just got an Obduction backer update that they literally have no money left over for marketing and beggingasking backers to promote it on social media for them. :cripes: I hope the lack of awareness due to lack of marketing for Obduction doesn't end up killing Cyan (as an actual game studio).

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

e: nvm, it was just kind of hidden

Bubbacub fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 25, 2016

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Mr.Radar posted:

I just got an Obduction backer update that they literally have no money left over for marketing and beggingasking backers to promote it on social media for them. :cripes: I hope the lack of awareness due to lack of marketing for Obduction doesn't end up killing Cyan (as an actual game studio).

If it does it'll be self-inflicted. I've seen games literally developed by 2 people that have had more marketing presence.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

macnbc posted:

If it does it'll be self-inflicted. I've seen games literally developed by 2 people that have had more marketing presence.

Seriously. Put out a press release, jimmy up some ad images. Get out on Twitter and Tumblr and Twatty and wherever and get the word out.

There are loads of ways to promote your product that don't need a dedicated marketing person and a budget.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Seriously. Put out a press release, jimmy up some ad images. Get out on Twitter and Tumblr and Twatty and wherever and get the word out.

There are loads of ways to promote your product that don't need a dedicated marketing person and a budget.

They literally just tweeted that they were too busy yesterday to tweet that the game launched. :bang:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

macnbc posted:

They literally just tweeted that they were too busy yesterday to tweet that the game launched. :bang:

Too busy to type 140 characters.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Apparently one of the bigger Twitch channels (DansGaming) will be streaming it, which should give them a bit of a push. I assume they've sent out keys to other streamers, it's cheap publicity.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
At least they didn't go the route of episodic releases, and they didn't botch the (final) release date; the game was available on GOG and Steam (and Humble Store) almost at the same time and quite early in the day -- well, the PC/ Windows version was, anyway.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

AbstractNapper posted:

At least they didn't go the route of episodic releases, and they didn't botch the (final) release date; the game was available on GOG and Steam (and Humble Store) almost at the same time and quite early in the day -- well, the PC/ Windows version was, anyway.

They're getting enough hell on the Steam forums for the delayed VR release - not even considering that the game was delayed for a few months because VR.

Also a hotfix just popped:

quote:

Global:
Fixes for loading screen getting stuck in some cases
Improvements for screenshot functionality (Game no longer hangs, can take screenshots of books)
Small fixes for seed machines in Maray
Small update to the Credits

Art:
Tweaks to lighting and art around Farley’s house

Localization:
Fixes for Polish language

EDIT: and unpopped, it broke some save files

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 26, 2016

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Well, poo poo. I clipped through some level geometry, I'm stuck, and there's no way to backtrack. :(

Recommend backing up your save periodically.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Bubbacub posted:

Well, poo poo. I clipped through some level geometry, I'm stuck, and there's no way to backtrack. :(

all true adventure gamers remember "save early, save often".

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

These drat autosaves in games these days made me complacent. I thought it might have an autosave + backup or save in a sequence or something.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

When you start the game in German a glaring flaw on the menu screen is the first thing you see. Also it doesn't remember your language settings. It's so minor, but that's what makes it so annoying!

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Bubbacub posted:

Try switching to node-based navigation and then back, it might get you back to the nearest node. Otherwise CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+1 will teleport you back to the start of the level.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

GhostDog posted:

Here's a hint for Obduction: If you move towards something and feel like your vision is all blurry, and then you stop and things become clear again, try turning down AA to medium.

Also, check the resolution scale in the settings. For some reason it's defaulting to 200 and that's causing a really bad blur effect. Bump it down to 100.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

So consensus seems to be that it looks beautiful but clearly needed some more time in the oven. Any thoughts on the puzzles?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

the black husserl posted:

So consensus seems to be that it looks beautiful but clearly needed some more time in the oven. Any thoughts on the puzzles?

From everything I've experienced and read any bugs have been relatively minor.

Puzzles so far seem like classic Myst, with the whole kinda figuring out how the world works with only vague hints. Though maybe not as obtuse as some of the older games (at least that I've seen)

Loving it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

The biggest game-breaking bugs seem to be people getting stuck in terrain or falling through the world and being stuck because there's no manual save system. Otherwise the game seems pretty fully realized and goddamn gorgeous.