Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
changed my mind

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Oct 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
All right, a county in Wales sounds good!

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

Jabu posted:

Kingdoms don't have culture as such, only characters and provinces do. The starting king of Aquitaine, like most Karlings, is Frankish. His vassals are Basque, Occitan and Frankish. The territory is Basque in the southwest, Occitan in the rest.

Wiping out French culture is a fun and very possible thing to do, sure. If you really want to make a Basque super-realm, Navarra might be a better choice.

So fun indeed! Hopefully Grey is going to play with culture too, rather than spend a millennium trying to zero it out as much as possible. You can get some hilarious mixes going with regular CK2 if you intervene enough (otherwise the AIs blob too much), though CK2+ IS awesome.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
And marry a diligent and gregarious Welsh girl who raises our children. :D

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 6, 2013

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Yeah, way to be counter-cultural by selecting a fenced off nation for max excitement.

Let's turn Ghana into the world hub for slaves!

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
The well-snake actually wanted like a 100 girls a year right? If it'll take council members advocating conversion we can up that by a lot.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

Mightypeon posted:

While doing some tutoring on history, I occassionally used Game of Thrones (with the characters mapped to the actual historical actors) in order to get them a) interested and b) being able to detect historical generalities.
The only place where that doesnt quite work is the Russian Civil War, which was more complex, weird, and frankly "unrealistic" (Ungern Sternberg, I personally see him as Chtullus attempt to insert a self-insert-fanfic into reality) than anything G.R.R. Martin could come up with.

If I am doing a group session, I generally try to set up an "alternative history" by assigning a character/actor to everyone, and every pupil gets to make a "historical" "secret" (they learn that is is better to keep decisions secret pretty fast) decision at the end of each hour. The thing is, the "best" responses of their options are not obvious, and guessing whats good requires listening to me! Listening to get good grades doesnt always work (big problem being that listening is "difficult" right now and the grades come way later), but listening to basically win against class mates is much more popular! Intrinsic teaching bonus points because the reward arrives a lot sooner too.
In preparing the next hour, I try to show how stuff would have deviated.

The problem with my tutoring is that it doesnt excatly lead to great grades in many high school teaching institutions, although it could well be a decent preperation for undergrad/grad level. It is also fun, and I think very few of my pupils associated history with "fun" before.

You are so awesome.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

Grey Hunter posted:

We Started with one Ogoonu, Dongu I, there are now more than I can count, two of the high chiefs and several of the chiefdoms are branches of the family.

Don't stop till there's no domestic non-Ogoonu nobility. I mean, I don't think the other pagans count, so it's totally doable, right?

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Don't stop until there's noone left in the world without the Oogonu surname!

It's totally doable, Vietnam's Nguyễn comprises 40%, so you just need the remaining 60% and world domination! (and no, these challenges won't scale each other :colbert:)

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

Veryslightlymad posted:

He has to. He had SOME ships. I've tried playing a Romuva game and nearly went mad from lack of ships when I watched Scandanavia crumble to my north with no way of taking advantage.

It's a bit far, but why not walk around Finland?

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Oh, right, thanks.

And I suppose sending the targets are probably unreformed pagan too, so even if the armies aren't eradicated piecemeal when sending them by their constituent pieces they'd take horrible attrition while slowly rallying.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
If they're an ethnicity can't we make them a culture for EUIV? :)

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Was it really necessary to divert the army to take out the rebels first? Seemed like warscore was almost high enough to end the war and then go south.

Still, we're making good progress, and there'll be many Crusades to leap out from later. Will breaking treaties lower our relations with domestic Sahelians by 25 points, or just foreign Sahelians of which there are none?

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Seems like Aquitane has stabilized and is using the huge pressure on the Qadirids to expand against the Jalidids. I bet the Tegamids haven't been helping them as much as they would otherwise either, and that Jihad means one less against Christendom. Things might end up more like IRL compared to letting the PC run by itself.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Hey yeah, it's CK, so it might not end up in all rulers being inbred, and even if they are it's not like a death sentence to the player.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Nice to see Aquitaine becoming dominant in the north, though the Qadirids have solidified as well. I find the Christians lose too often in Iberia, the constant north-south pressure will continue to attrit the Qadirids over the long term.
The back and forth battle is also more entertaining than a straightforward victory.

Anyway, there'll probably be some massive civil war before the end of CK2, at the rate we're expanding without tricking out our nation.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 17, 2013

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Does anyone know where I can find a list of Romes? It's pretty difficult to find anything on the net claiming anything beyond third Rome.

Oh, and Grey, will you be editing Ghanan culture to Ogoonu culture by EU4, as suggested by someone? Potentially horrible if hilarious implications, but awesome enough to be worth it.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Wasn't Karelia in charge? I think you might be thinking of Viscardus' LP.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
How many counties are Ogoonu versus outside the family?

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Did Aquitaine lose parts of Iberia from the civil war?

And Grey, remove all non-Ogoonu nobles already.
I wonder how many dynasty members have the kinslayer title...

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Nov 21, 2013

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Qadirid collapse has set in during the war for Marrakech, they're losing territory in the north as well. They won't ever be the same threat again. Let's start marching eastwards, then in a few years we'll grab the last duchy. The Christians will finish off the Qadirids for us.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

Rumda posted:

Err no we take Tangier NOW. Never leave an enemy at your back.

Serpentis posted:

This is also an exceptionally good point, much less the importance of putting a nice strip of sea between us and any invading Muslims/Christians/Vikings/Aztecs etc.

Certainly, I just meant that in between the five years of the truce we shouldn't leave the Aghlabids alone, as they might hit us as well. Better to cripple them and then finish off the Qadirids' Marrakech as they're unable to help properly.

- Good job on those two wars! About the latest one, this is why it's usually a good idea to keep 1-2k gold on hand for mercenaries. Thought about moving the capital north to deploy them faster?
Also, I'm amazed the Qadirids are still holding on after all those civil wars and constantly losing their field armies. I guess Aquitaine collapsing means it's hard for the Christians to get momentum going, they're even losing ground right now except for Portucale.
I suggest we continually assassinate adult Qadirid Sultans to ensure their ruler is always below majority. They'll permanently break up into pieces somewhere between the first and fourth child ruler. Of course we'll need the bestest spymaster ever to reduce the costs and stay alive.
Or the much easier solution might be to set up an Ogoonu colony through a Holy War, though that's far more of a direct involvement with Spain. Alternative it'll be much harder to invite a Christian, but it'd be less direct to help them establish their territory.
Or you could declare a Holy War and not actually take any land when your warscore reaches 100%, but instead continually smash their field armies, until they disintegrate from invasions/civil wars.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Nov 29, 2013

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
We should raise more Ogoonus to be lustful.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 27, 2013

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
So, why did Grey change it? They're both real names after all.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 27, 2013

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Bongo is more lyrical, which is also why (after some curios looking up) Bongo-Bongo was appropriated as a derogatory description of African music. It's nice to see a positive use for it, though I'm fine either way really. We could get way more creative in Paradox games, and take up the JRPG tradition of misfit character names~

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Nov 29, 2013

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Great update! Early and it was interesting to see what the Sultana would do, and now we're poised to enter Central North Africa. How did the poor girl end up being titled the pompous?

Grey, we need to encourage secessionist forces among the Qadirids to break them into pieces once and for all to stop them from sending 20k soldiers each war.
One of the more effective methods is declaring war on them and destroying their field armies without taking our victory until they've been overrun by neighbors and rebels. A non-holy war would be best if a fake claim can be made.

Also, we have to move the capital north to bring in mercenaries faster.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Nov 29, 2013

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
We need to initiate banishment taxes of select super-rich mayors and clerics in fully upgrades areas, move the capital northwards to supply mercenaries on location, and break up the Qadirids in a non-holy war using rebels and christians.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 29, 2013

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
The Qadirids and Aghlabids are both additional fronts, but the Qadirids are worse since their armies are numerous enough on their own to form at least one doomstack close to ours in size. Additionally, a war against the Qadirids which doesn't aim for land won't see massive direct intervention, as we can rely on a forged claim on a single county instead of a holy war.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 29, 2013

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
How's our navy coming along? We can still cut down the march significantly if we get enough ships to move a large fraction of the Sub-Saharan troops once they reach the Moroccan coast.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
I think our alliance with Andalusia will only last one or two generations, right?
And that's fine, we don't want to get dragged into Spain. Those Holy Wars will deplete our forces and risk harder wars and civil conflict.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
The liberation of Mecca... an epic quest spanning half a millennia!

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Mod it in to form an Empire of Ghana.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Form the Empire of Ghana instead, it doesn't make sense for us to become Mali, this is a sign from the Well Snake below.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Just surrender to the Empire of Ghana or Ogoonu, how long will you reformist revisionists heathens fight our true heritage? The Well Snake, Ghana and the Ogoonu are one.

I'd be willing to chip in for some of the DLC if necessary (or entirely if it's cheap).

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

veekie posted:

Just wait till you have a bastard that some other guy thinks is their own. I accidentally did that when I lost track of the unnoticed bastard. Especially when the girl had Genius.

And her unknowing brother of the same age also had Genius. Though I suppose their only surviving child having Genius in the end worked out.

Obviously their superior genes were above the whole inbreeding penalty! (Pretty much one of the core argument for racism/dynastic intermarriage whenever the parties are at least aware of the effects of inbreeding.)

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Dec 8, 2013

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Since we're in an RP that's actually beneficial to us.
'Mali' just seems wrong though. It doesn't make sense from our perspective, but if it's what Grey wants it's good.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Speaking of petty struggles, let's reclaim Ceuta!

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 9, 2013

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

Grey Hunter posted:

Yeah, we can call on 57,000 men atm, of them, 12,000 or so come from South east Ghana, and have a huge distance to march to get to the front - they can't even use ships!

The Abbasids can call on nearly 100,000 men, so this may well be our borders until I can break up the Abbasids a bit. or get lucky. They have less distance to march than we do and dropped into the war with their armies when we were at 92% warscore!

I recommend stabbing and more stabbing. They rarely hold out more than a couple of decades, and that's lucky, if their ruler is always a child.
And right now the one in charge doesn't have as much to lose, retaliation will go to his charge, and though he will tragically very likely lose his post at least it's no big deal to Ghana. And if it does I'm sure he won't mind too much, since he lowered crown authority after all.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 9, 2013

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Ghana needs money to either hire as many mercenaries as possible or assassinate any adult Abbassid rulers.
If the former they'd need to be right at the border with our retinue, destroying as many Abbassid forces as possible to keep them from rallying, and saving us the upkeep when they die (hopefully we'd be able to extract the retinue once things go south).

Assassinating takes longer, but is more reliable and economic (except that it's riskier and expensive up front), probably the better option by far, especially with an ambitious Emperor to justify it (he may be honest, but these are heathens and he's not kind, so why not).

Anyway, we won't have to worry about this soon with the arrival of standing armies as the main force in EU.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
If we split up wouldn't it be more interesting to go with an eastern African successor state whose goal is to conquer and base itself out of Mecca?

• Locked thread