Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

wolt is bad man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Guys, I just rewatched the show, and it looks like Walt is actually not a good guy! Hear me out, I've done a lot of watching on this, but did you notice that the kid that went to the hospital because Gus poisoned him was poisoned with something Walt had growing in his house?

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Wolt is rear end in a top hat, why jesse hate

Because wolt is a bastard man

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Wolt lied, Honk died

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Jessiye shot Maikh.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Beamed posted:

Guys, I just rewatched the show, and it looks like Walt is actually not a good guy! Hear me out, I've done a lot of watching on this, but did you notice that the kid that went to the hospital because Gus poisoned him was poisoned with something Walt had growing in his house?

he just leaves the pizza there, on the roof

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Pizzas belong on the table, not on the roof.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Beamed posted:

poo poo is that what that plant was? The way they zoomed in on the label didn't make it obvious enough. This show is too subtle sometimes!

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

What happened to the kid they shot we never saw what they did with the body

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kuiperdolin posted:

What happened to the kid they shot we never saw what they did with the body

They dissolved him in acid. You see them preparing to do it in the episode right after he gets shot.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

They dissolved him in acid. You see them preparing to do it in the episode right after he gets shot.

so loving metal XD

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I had to dissolve someone in acid once.

ONCE.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Raxivace posted:

I had to dissolve someone in acid once.

ONCE.

You did it in the bath tub, didn't you

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

As long as you did it for your family its ok.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Cactus posted:

As long as you did it for your family its ok.

Walt having this mindset makes it even stranger to me, that he would put a pizza on top of his family's roof.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

little munchkin posted:

Walt having this mindset makes it even stranger to me, that he would put a pizza on top of his family's roof.

Walt often claimed to be rational and doing everything because x, but he was often not rational, much to the dismay of the pizza..

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Last Chance posted:

much to the dismay of the pizza..

Hey despite everything it was going through I'd say the pizza was able to hold itself together

RichardDunn
Oct 23, 2008
They don't cut the pizza so they pass the savings onto you

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I've just finished marathoning the whole series in the past few days. Extremely late hot take incoming.

The first and main thing to take away is that Bryan Cranston is really good at what he does. I don't know just how involved he was in writing Walt and the rest of the show (executive producer is a very vague title) but performance-wise, he's incredible. The nuances of Walt's character must have been incredibly difficult to convey at times, especially considering how much is left unsaid in many of the scenes.

Secondly, while I wouldn't go so far as to say the whole series is "gorgeously-shot", the camera work is certainly above and beyond what most tv shows and even many films would have. There are a lot of more obvious artistic shots, such a how Walt stands apart from Skyler in many scenes where they're talking, or Mike's death, but there are also many small editing and filming decisions that really enhance the experience. When Jesse is shooting the cartel gunman that wings Mike, the frantic editing conveys how loving crazy the situation is to him and how fast it's all happening. It's also shot in a way that's a deliberate callback to him "training" with the zombie game. There are tons of scenes where the blocking and composition tell as much story as the dialogue or score, and it's really admirable how hard everyone obviously worked on this show.

I went into this show with certain pre-conceptions, based on pop culture absorption. I assumed Jesse was a hapless sidekick who was friends with Walter. I thought "Better Call Saul" was something the characters actually said to each other when they were in trouble and that Saul would be this amazing problem-solver. Most importantly, I thought Walt was supposed to turn into some kind of badass by the end, and that the show was primarily about the meth. Needless to say, I was incredibly wrong about all of this, and many other assumptions.

Ok, moving on to what the show is really about : Walt's character. From almost the very beginning, while Walt was a very believable character and his emotions and choices were perfectly 'relatable' in a "I see where you're coming from" way, I didn't truly understand him. I'd heard time and time again that Walt starts cooking because he's dying of cancer, and that he doesn't want to burden his family with medical bills and wants to leave something behind for them. Him having rich friends who were offering to pay for the treatments completely threw me. I could see he was too proud to take their money, but being so willing to do something so morally dubious as to make drugs as an alternative seemed strange to say the least.

And while Walt was initially very reluctant to do anything but cook, he'd keep getting a bug up his rear end about the money he was making, the methods Jesse was using, and a bunch of other small details. And he'd get so loving pissed. When he loses it on Bogdan and quits, you think it's the cancer that's getting to him. But he keeps getting like that more and more as the series goes on. It's never enough money, Jesse never does anything good enough, he's never happy with the arrangements. And you start to seriously wonder where it's coming from. How can this mild mannered teacher have kept this rage, this entitlement inside him for so long?

It didn't truly click with me until he told Jesse about his former business partners. While I'm not particularly a fan of storytelling where every single major character trait is explained by a past event in a person's life (my father died in an earthquake and that is why I fear earthquakes!), in this particular case it felt almost necessary. Walt chose to sign away his rights to an incredibly successful business. But over the years he's seen how well they've done, and he's been bitter, and he's convinced himself that the choice he made was out of his hands. And his resentment, his entitlement, his inability to accept the choices he made has turned so toxic that it ends up turning him into a monster. He always wants more money because he thinks he deserves it. He wants to control everything, even things he doesn't understand at all, because he feels he gave up control of his life when he signed his share away.

His relationship with Jesse was also something that was difficult to get a handle on. Beyond the obvious fact that they keep going from wanting to kill each other to backing each other up all the time, Walt shows an attachment to Jesse above all his other business partners that isn't really justified. You could say it's because Jesse is the easiest person to control that Walt know. That's how he describes him to Gus, after all. But it goes further than that. Walt risks everything just to save Jesse from getting killed when he goes for revenge on those two dealers. And yes, while it's obvious Walt had ulterior motives for replacing Gale with Jesse, such as wanting to appease Jesse for the beating and feeling his massive ego threatened by Gale being his intellectual equal, he still didn't need to bring him in like that. Considering how volatile, loud-mouthed and shifty Jesse can be, it just didn't make sense to me why he keeps sticking his neck out for the kid like that.

Once again, a single scene made it all clear to me, when he calls Flynn 'Jesse' in his drugged-out haze. At some point, Jesse became family to him. And Walt is extremely possessive of his family. The way he uses Jesse almost from the start mirrors the way he starts manipulating and lying to his family. And since he spends less and less time with his family and is forced to be less and less genuine with them, he transfers a lot of those emotions onto Jesse.

In CD, I mentioned that I didn't really understand how anyone got the idea that Walt was this cool genius badass when he's really an arrogant, bumbling fool for much of the show, despite his intellect. I was on season 4 at that point, I believe. After seeing season 5, it makes a little more sense to me. Walt does a lot of effective manipulation and nearly comical super genius tricks there, especially in the last few episodes. It's easy to forget how often he hosed up and remember only the fake snipers, the machine gun rig, the way he basically bullies a bunch of gangers into doing business with him, and the 2-minute prison killing spree. But all of those moments have subtext going on that indicts Walt as a person.

Yes, Walter "wins" in the end by killing all his enemies, freeing Jesse, making sure his children get money, and dying on his own terms. But even looking past the evil he did, he hosed up so much more than he won. He repeatedly lost the majority of his fortune, got tricked by people far less smart than him, killed people he didn't need to, and whatever benefits the trust fund he leaves for Flynn may have (assuming it even gets to him), it does very little to counteract the damage he's done to his family that he cares so much for. His secrets are completely out, his brother in law is dead, his family hates him beyond belief, and he had to spend the last few months of his life completely cut off from all human contact.

When Walt says "I am the one who knocks", it's a sad empty boast to convince himself that he has more control over his life than he ever could. When Walt insists that the hits be done 'exactly how he wants', he's compensating for not being able to control his wife and business partners(past and present) like he'd prefer. When he tells the gangster to "say his name", he's trying to validate his fantasy of being a cool gangster as he throws his way out of the business into the toilet and his personal life is completely slipping away from him. The cool Heisenberg hat is sad because Walt buys into the fantasy of it. At no point in the story does Walt really become a criminal mastermind and kingpin like some of the other people he deals with. He's just a delusional old man flailing around in a world he doesn't belong in, and he leaves a trail of bodies behind him because of the mistakes he makes and the arrogance he shows. Heisenberg's reputation is a complete fiction, and Walt coming to believe it is the final step on his self-destructive journey.

This show's approach to humor was one of my favorite things about it. It's very unique. While The Wire (and Homicide before it) was also a show about serious crime drama that was occasionally very loving funny, the comedy scenes felt like they were very separate from the serious ones. The characters would mug around after making a funny statement, the camera would show flat angles, etc. The funniest poo poo in Breaking Bad tends to happen without skipping a beat or changing the tone from the dramatic moments. The show doesn't want to highlight that the moment is supposed to be funny, it just lets you realize that on your own and moves on immediately. It makes the comedy feel very organic. There were parts where there was so much tomfoolery and comedy going on that I would honestly forget this show is primarily dramatic, and I love that.

I guess there's not much more to say. This show uses score better than most, and several of the more tense or terrifying moments were greatly enhanced by the grungy electronic noises that accompanied them. And other moments were just as tense or heavy due to judicious use of silence. There's very little in this show I'd call a miss.

One last thing about Walt... his remorse and emotional frailty might make him seem much more sympathetic to others, but to me it just made him even more dislikeable. Crying because he let Jane die doesn't take back the fact that he did it. All his emotional breakdowns to Skyler don't justify the abuse. He feels entitled to his remorse and his pain and his sadness, but if he didn't want to feel like this he could've turned away from this life time and time again. The fact that he does wrong but still feels justified acting tortured about it and burdening others with these feelings is just another way he's selfish.

I'ma watch Better Call Saul soon, hope it's just as good.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Yo that's a real loving good take, basically everything you said is correct. Great work.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Thanks. It's a really good show that gives you a lot to think about.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the reason a lot of people build up Walt is because he's the protagonist and there is a certain segment of people who just inherently want the protagonist to also be the Big Guy. They end up missing the forest for the trees and see Walt as this super-genius awesome guy who is held back by his bitch wife and lying partner and yada yada yada. Which I think is what they kind of want the show to be. Walt does have his dramatic moments but he spends so much of the show emphasizing that those dramatic moments are not the norm for him. Maybe they could be if he wasn't who he was but Walt being who he is is so central to the show that isn't worth discussing. "Walt could be the world's greatest meth kingpin if he wasn't arrogant, selfish, shortsighted, prideful, greedy, ect, ect, ect" implies that he could get there without those traits either. He's a self-sabotaging son of a bitch and that is what makes him a good character.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I'ma watch Better Call Saul soon, hope it's just as good.

Prepare to be pleasantly surprised. It's a very different show, but is also remarkably similar in many ways. It sounds like you paid close attention to this show and were rewarded with the care and attention the cast and crew put into it, something that carries over into BCS very well.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
One of the things I realized from my rewatch is just how little cooking they do in the first many episodes of the show. It's way more about murder than anything else. They manage to sell meth one single time in the first season. That famous scene where Walt literally launders money? That wasn't from a successful deal, that was murder money. The killing isn't some sort of eventual element to the show, it's there from pilot on forward. Cooking meth is basically a sideline except for the times they are happily working for Gus and the times the Vamonos front is going on.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

cheerfullydrab posted:

They manage to sell meth one single time in the first season.

This isn't entirely true, they only manage to sell it in BULK once. After they kill Krazy-8 Jesse tries to sell off their stock a teenth at a time, which frustrates Walt, who wants them to sell to Tuco.

EDIT: Actually, come to think of it, they sell to Tuco three times, right?

1)Jesse tries and fails, Walt finally forces Tuco to pay up by exploding the building

2) They sell to Tuco but come up short, but Walt realizes he can do the p2p cook and persuades Tuco to front him the money

3) they sell him the Blue Sky, after which Tuco beats Gonzo to death

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yes, that is correct. Eventually in the second season they have a good operation going after Jesse meets the ATM couple. Then things go bad again.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I think the reason a lot of people build up Walt is because he's the protagonist and there is a certain segment of people who just inherently want the protagonist to also be the Big Guy. They end up missing the forest for the trees and see Walt as this super-genius awesome guy who is held back by his bitch wife and lying partner and yada yada yada. Which I think is what they kind of want the show to be. Walt does have his dramatic moments but he spends so much of the show emphasizing that those dramatic moments are not the norm for him. Maybe they could be if he wasn't who he was but Walt being who he is is so central to the show that isn't worth discussing. "Walt could be the world's greatest meth kingpin if he wasn't arrogant, selfish, shortsighted, prideful, greedy, ect, ect, ect" implies that he could get there without those traits either. He's a self-sabotaging son of a bitch and that is what makes him a good character.

Every phase of Walt's criminal enterprise was short lived and completely blew up.

1) They start small time and try to sell "bulk" (like a pound) = They get tied up in the desert and Walt has to kill 2 people.

2) They get back on their feet with P2P cooking and start making pounds and Walt gets in bed with Tuco = A whole bunch of crazy poo poo happens because TUCO and other factors, and Walt/Jesse have to kill Tuco.

3) Walt and Jesse need to keep cooking because they're flat broke again. Jesse demands Walt step back and let him run the business. He does so until Walt manipulates him into becoming greedy (a Walt trait) and expanding the territory = Causes more death and their employees quit and obliterates this phase

4) Walt finally meets Gus who is already running a successful criminal meth dealing enterprise and starts cooking for him. Walt manages to have a fallout with Gus and again - Death + destroying his business

5) Walt starts their own enterprise with Jesse and Mike but since he STILL isn't an established or accomplished criminal can't even get his hands on precursor so have to ROB A TRAIN. Of course this results in death even though it doesnt destroy the enterprise right away it leads to it. Jesse quits and Todd steps up leading Walt to get in bed with NEO NAZI'S and really set down the path of no return. How much worse can you do than nazi's?

I don't even know where I'm going with this, but basically even though Walt kills Gus and becomes "top dog" I agree that he never belonged in that world and was never EVER "successful"

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

Bleh Maestro posted:

Every phase of Walt's criminal enterprise was short lived and completely blew up.

That's not entirely true. You forgot 6, cooking out of tented houses and selling the meth through Lydia, which went so smoothly it bored him into quitting. Though to be fair leaving Todd in charge of the cooking could be seen as a sort of self sabotage. He had to have known the Nazi's weren't willing to just walk away.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Haven't read any posts, just want to post this again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPJnQAV25Jc

OH and:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h-iAZBtNrs

Barreft fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 22, 2016

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot_V7Q8a6yc

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Missed opportunity to have the M60 pop out of the hood.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Cactus posted:

So there wasn't really rot. Ok. Thanks for clearing that up. I 98% knew there wasn't, and in "Fly" I knew he was in a delusional state, but when I first saw this episode I hadn't seen "Fly", and I just needed to make sure because he's acting the exact same way and I wanted to be sure my retrospect wasn't invalid.

That's some pretty good character direction spanning several seasons by the way; people that happen to be reading this that are writing for tv shows... learn from this stuff, will you all? We have to reduce eyerolling in the world!

I first thought the fly was in Walt's imagination, but doesn't Jessie also see it? It sure would explain Jessie's story and how the fly isn't crushed into paste when Jessie kills it. I first thought it was just lazy CGI. Perhaps I should rewatch it.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 26, 2016

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
I thought there was slight rot, and Walt used the excuse to rebuild the space to hide money and always have a reason to be going in the crawlspace, "to check on the repairs."

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I thought there was slight rot, and Walt used the excuse to rebuild the space to hide money and always have a reason to be going in the crawlspace, "to check on the repairs."

Pretty much. They flat out show that at least a few of the boards are rotting on at least one occasion, but a large part of it was him giving himself something to do, something to blow money on, and the chance to make a place to hide cash that wasn't literally in the air vent. The fly was definite a fly, but Walter pretty much just transplanted all his stress and insecurity over the job onto it. Pretty sure Jesse doesn't start taking it seriously until he's gotten worn out and tired from the extended stay to "take care of the contamination" that Walter insists on, too.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Bleh Maestro posted:

1) They start small time and try to sell "bulk" (like a pound) = They get tied up in the desert and Walt has to kill 2 people.

2) They get back on their feet with P2P cooking and start making pounds and Walt gets in bed with Tuco = A whole bunch of crazy poo poo happens because TUCO and other factors, and Walt/Jesse have to kill Tuco.

3) Walt and Jesse need to keep cooking because they're flat broke again. Jesse demands Walt step back and let him run the business. He does so until Walt manipulates him into becoming greedy (a Walt trait) and expanding the territory = Causes more death and their employees quit and obliterates this phase

4) Walt finally meets Gus who is already running a successful criminal meth dealing enterprise and starts cooking for him. Walt manages to have a fallout with Gus and again - Death + destroying his business

5) Walt starts their own enterprise with Jesse and Mike but since he STILL isn't an established or accomplished criminal can't even get his hands on precursor so have to ROB A TRAIN. Of course this results in death even though it doesnt destroy the enterprise right away it leads to it. Jesse quits and Todd steps up leading Walt to get in bed with NEO NAZI'S and really set down the path of no return. How much worse can you do than nazi's?

I don't even know where I'm going with this, but basically even though Walt kills Gus and becomes "top dog" I agree that he never belonged in that world and was never EVER "successful"

Walt was unquestionably a brilliant chemist but he had zero business savvy. Can't boil it down much more than that.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
Its not that he doesn't have business savvy, it's that his ego and boredom and need to dominate sabotage any chance he might have at easy boring success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
I don't think I could ever just throw a pizza, no matter how angry I got...

• Locked thread